News:

Main Menu

COMIC GEEKS Я US

Started by LunarSage, February 29, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch421

Part of me goes woah awesome....But then the other part goes huh? Might have to pick it up just to see....

Jmorty33

Is anyone else a bit peeved that Peter Parker is dead in most of the Marvel Multiverses?
Converted Mana Cost: 2 colorless 2 White 2 Red

+2 Target Player has writers block

+0 Target Player receives a post of two paragraphs or more.

-12 Player writes a novel.
THE BATTLE FOR ZENDIKAR IS HERE!!!!!

Sasquatch421

I know they killed off the Ultimate line Peter Parker.... Which other one got the axe? Then again you have to remember Marvel's tendency to bring back dead characters...

Chris Brady

As long as the Company owns he characters rather than the writers, or the creators, the cannot permanently kill any character that has the potential to make more money.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Falanor

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 30, 2012, 10:17:55 PM
I know they killed off the Ultimate line Peter Parker.... Which other one got the axe? Then again you have to remember Marvel's tendency to bring back dead characters...

Standard universe (616) got the axe.  Basically Doc Ock was dying of cancer in a hospital bed, somehow mindswapped with Pete, thus making Pete Ock suffer, and then started swinging around as Pete.  Got back with MJ, started having Pete's memories meld some of his, realized he wanted to be a hero.  At Pete Ock's death bed Ock Pete triumphantly proclaims that he's going to be a Superior Spider-Man when compared to Pete Ock.  Pretty sure he threw a YOLO in there too to go along with that awesome script.

Jmorty33

Death Battle! Kal-El victory!

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Falanor on January 10, 2013, 10:31:20 PM
Standard universe (616) got the axe.  Basically Doc Ock was dying of cancer in a hospital bed, somehow mindswapped with Pete, thus making Pete Ock suffer, and then started swinging around as Pete.  Got back with MJ, started having Pete's memories meld some of his, realized he wanted to be a hero.  At Pete Ock's death bed Ock Pete triumphantly proclaims that he's going to be a Superior Spider-Man when compared to Pete Ock.  Pretty sure he threw a YOLO in there too to go along with that awesome script.

Well that is.... different. Smallville did it first though when Lionel switched with Clark... Now that I think of it, I kind of miss that show....

Sabby

Wow, this thread has been dead for a while... can I please cast Resurrect? I just got a bunch of new comics :3

VoluptuousVixen

Sabby

I got volume 1 of Spawn and Hellboy, both in hardcover. Spawn took me 6 months to track down in hardcover. Things pretty rare in any reasonable price.

VoluptuousVixen

I liked the Hellboy films but never read the comics. Are they good?

Sabby

Going by the first one, they're not nearly as coherent as the films. The general set up is identical, but the stories seem to be on a much smaller scale. It's kind of like X-Files, get assignment, head out, solve mystery, come back.

VoluptuousVixen

For me anything written by Brian Micheal Bendis is a win. Hes Marvels golden boy.

His arc on New Avengers was great. Making it plausible to have Wolverine and Spiderman on the tea finally.
He turned Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist into superstars  and never let go.
I liked how he incorporated Doctor Strange, Clint Barton and even brought back Mockingbird all in a credible way.

Now hes turning his magic to two X tiles with All New Xmen and Uncanny X-men.
Ultimate Spiderman is by far the best Spidy tilte EVER (in my eyes) and his work on Gurdians of the Galaxy is pleasing.

I recocmened him. 

Sabby

Spawn is the closest I get to caped heroes. Just not a Supers fan.

Jag

Quote from: Sabby on December 31, 2014, 12:30:00 PM
Going by the first one, they're not nearly as coherent as the films. The general set up is identical, but the stories seem to be on a much smaller scale. It's kind of like X-Files, get assignment, head out, solve mystery, come back.

That changes as the story moves on. Eventually, you break off from the Hellboy comics (because he leaves the bureau) and the main comic line becomes titled B.P.R.D. and the main Hellboy series becomes more secondary. I'm a bigger fan of the B.P.R.D. series than I am the Hellboy series. The characters and overall story are better detailed. In fact, as far as I know, Hellboy itself is done and finished and it's the B.P.R.D. series heading it all up now. Hellboy isn't even in it beyond being mentioned and in flashbacks. The current characters are Kate Corrigan, Liz, Abe, Johann, Ben Daimoi, and Roger the Homunculus.

I was surprised when I read the first B.P.R.D. issue and realized that Johann never gets to actually meet Hellboy at all. I've kept up with it and they never have any contact whatsoever. And Abe is much more interesting in the comics and Kate is a much better female lead than Liz is.

Hellboy and B.P.R.D. are pretty much the only comics I keep up with anymore. >.<
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Sabby

I'll read through those as they come :)

I did, however, spend good money on Alien vs Predator vs The Terminator. Boy do I look dumb!

Mathim

Quote from: Sabby on December 31, 2014, 01:50:05 PM
Spawn is the closest I get to caped heroes. Just not a Supers fan.

Spawn isn't part of Marvel or DC, right? I was just thinking how boss a crossover between him and Ghost Rider would be.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sabby

He isn't, though issue #10 has some rather strange commentary on DC and Marvel...

Spawn dies and goes to what I think is Purgatory. He's lead by another Image Comics character, some kind of Aardvark detective thing. He comes across a cage full of Marvel and DC heroes and their creators are lined up before the cage in hoods and nooses, crying.

The Aardvark says that they are all in Purgatory because their creators sold them, but that will never happen to Spawn. He will never come to this Purgatory. Then Superman, "The One Who Came First", gives Spawn his power (I don't know why) and Spawn goes to see his eternal reward, being with his family, before returning to the living world.

The only way I've been able to interpret this is that McFarlane is calling DC and Marvel a bunch of sellouts and that he'd see Image Comics fail before he ever gives up Spawn to someone else. Considering the issue shows literally every DC and Marvel hero reaching out to Spawn to save them, I can't help but feel McFarlane has some ego issues...

Jmorty33

McFarlane was always the egotist. Granted his artwork is great, I love his ink work in Spider-Man. But to blatantly declare himself above everyone at Marvel and DC is really going too far.

On a lighter note, my comic haul this year was sweet. I picked up the Play Arts Kai Aquaman (gorgeous figure by the way) and some keystone issues of Batman and Green Lantern for me.

VoluptuousVixen

Angela from the Spawn comics joined the Marvel Universe after Age Of Ultron. So maybe Spawn isn't far behind?

Frankly her arrival in Guardians of the Galaxy was one of the books biggest strengths. The Zeros ended up kicking her ass only to find out she wasn't that bad and she was an "Angel" she ended up joining the crew of the Milano and even got a marriage proposal from Rocket and then Gamora.

So maybe her arrival is a prequel to Spawn joining the house of ideas? Honestly he would fit in better there than at DC.
I think McFarlane should be given full commission to write for him if he goes over to Marvel.
SPawn would fit in better with Doc Strange, Wolverine, Ghost Rider....even have him go toe to toe with the hulk?

But also, they would need all his supporting characters to come over too.

Sabby

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Sabby on December 31, 2014, 02:15:40 PM
He isn't, though issue #10 has some rather strange commentary on DC and Marvel...

Spawn dies and goes to what I think is Purgatory. He's lead by another Image Comics character, some kind of Aardvark detective thing. He comes across a cage full of Marvel and DC heroes and their creators are lined up before the cage in hoods and nooses, crying.

The Aardvark says that they are all in Purgatory because their creators sold them, but that will never happen to Spawn. He will never come to this Purgatory. Then Superman, "The One Who Came First", gives Spawn his power (I don't know why) and Spawn goes to see his eternal reward, being with his family, before returning to the living world.

The only way I've been able to interpret this is that McFarlane is calling DC and Marvel a bunch of sellouts and that he'd see Image Comics fail before he ever gives up Spawn to someone else. Considering the issue shows literally every DC and Marvel hero reaching out to Spawn to save them, I can't help but feel McFarlane has some ego issues...

I've always thought Spawn was by far one of the coolest guys to come out and while he had a ton of powers he had plenty of weakness to balance it out. Still that scene just...no it feels wrong its like putting someone in a Mary Sue setting just to make that character better. I know that's not what is intended with the scene but..I just don't like it despite how much I like Spawn.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Sabby

From what I've read of him, he seems like what Batman would have been like if he hadn't been fanwanked into a coma and then paraded around on a stick. He just seems like a person. I really feel badly for him, but he doesn't just stew in his melodrama either. It must be really shit to come back from Hell and find those who loved you have more or less moved on, but he takes it in much the same way I imagine I would. Massive shock -> Feel like shit for a while -> Pick up and move on but never fully get over it.

Though this is a comic, I'm sure once they figure out which issues sold the most a lot of his personality will just slip away and I'll be left with another Batman, but I'm hoping that won't happen. That's the thing about being a cynic, people tell you to lighten up, but whose right in the end, huh?

Sabby

Finally ordered volume 2 of Spawn Origins. The saga of 90's bullshit continues.

CaptainNexus616

We should be getting another Spawn animated series sometime this year actually with Keith David returning to voice him. Gonna leave this here for those who never saw the old show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-4zn6ZqKyY&feature=player_detailpage

I feel like Keith David is to Spawn what Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy are to Joker and Batman respectively.  The guy that brings life to the character like no one else can.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌