The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

And that is why I'm looking forward to Civil War more than any other Marvel Movie...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Actually I find Bruce Banner to be the most boring one of the bunch outside of Hulking out. So no, Cap isn't the most boring in my opinion. He can think his way through a situation whereas the Hulk just barrels in without regard to consequences (like getting blown out of the helicarrier) so while I admit that's fun as hell to watch, he isn't that interesting of a character, internally. Now, they can sure turn that around (the part in the trailer with him and Black Widow touching hands seems to indicate he's gaining more control on some level) but for now I find Cap to be more like Batman from the Nolan trilogy in that, like the Joker said about him, "You truly are incorruptible..." So seeing someone with that kind of mindset being thrust into these morally gray situations and making a decision is pretty heavy stuff, whether it's internal or external. And that's going to have even more lasting consequences now than ever, and force him to make even more decisions and question his own moral code. We already saw that in TWS so there's not really anything we needed to hear about after that to know these things. That they're just going to keep going further was always obvious but them bringing in the Civil War storyline is just gravy.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiFHbkuTQg

Daredevil is now out on Netflix. Hold all my calls going to marathon this tonight!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

I can't believe they cast the guy who played Drake Stone from Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice in the new Fantastic Four movie as Victor Domashev/Doom. Bring back Julian McMahon. Or, cast someone like John Hamm or Dougray Scott to play Doom.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 10, 2015, 04:25:57 PM
I can't believe they cast the guy who played Drake Stone from Disney's The Sorcerer's Apprentice in the new Fantastic Four movie as Victor Domashev/Doom. Bring back Julian McMahon. Or, cast someone like John Hamm or Dougray Scott to play Doom.

You can't believe it? REALLY? After every other decision they've made about the production of this movie, this kind of thing surprises you?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Zelta Runa

They’re not doing EVERYTHING wrong. The Thing no longer looks like Michael Chiklis collided with the couch cushion factory.
“ All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
— Gandalf

— Ω —
BACK… IN A LIMITED CAPACITY
Requests
Absences & Apologies
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Quote from: WongBal on April 10, 2015, 05:37:10 PM
They’re not doing EVERYTHING wrong. The Thing no longer looks like Michael Chiklis collided with the couch cushion factory.

Well they got the totally wrong body type for pre-Thing Ben Grimm's casting. And it's pretty obvious-looking CGI compared to the 'at least we're trying' prosthetics they used in the first two. The majority of their choices do some to be on the 'what were they thinking' side of things, though. Very little to be seen has any reason for us to get excited.

CaptainNexus616

Well I now think Marvel's Daredevil has DC beat concerning dark and gritty.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 10, 2015, 10:41:14 PM
Well I now think Marvel's Daredevil has DC beat concerning dark and gritty.

Oh? Do tell! I need to find out if my one month free of Netflix is still available...are all the episodes already out or just the first five? Everywhere I go it just looks like they only acknowledge the first five...

SapphireStar

Just happened across an image of Jared Leto released as the Joker. He was mimicing the image of the Joker with the camera from the Killing Joke. The image of Leto was so blurry you couldn't tell anything. Is this a bad sign? 

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 10, 2015, 11:19:43 PM
Just happened across an image of Jared Leto released as the Joker. He was mimicing the image of the Joker with the camera from the Killing Joke. The image of Leto was so blurry you couldn't tell anything. Is this a bad sign?

The DCCU has already has oodles of criticisms laid at its feet. We have to take these things as they come, so until they release something worth making us believe they're turning it around, their dubious reputation should remain as is.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on April 10, 2015, 11:05:27 PM
Oh? Do tell! I need to find out if my one month free of Netflix is still available...are all the episodes already out or just the first five? Everywhere I go it just looks like they only acknowledge the first five...

They were all there last night I only watched like the first three and let me just say you can consider it worth a peek at least. One scene in particular a thug was trying to kill a man in the bowlling alley before it reached the point the thug grabbed a nearby Bowling ball and stated bashing the man's skull in as blood was sprayed on his face with each blow. Then later in the same episode the man killed himself by imaplijg his skull through a sharp jagged spike of scrap protruding from a building.

Marvel is being rather clever about all of this in truth. While it is easily darker than anything in the theatres right now its not going overboard with the gore and other stuff like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

Deamonbane

I never thought Game of Thrones went overboard with the gore. I wouldn't call it tasteful, but not overboard. Realistic, I think, though I would hardly be the one to make that judgement, for all my experience in real life gore...(Which is to say, none at all). Overboard would be where TV series like Spartacus took it.

Is netflix the only place one can find the Daredevil episodes?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

TheGlyphstone

GoT goes overboard with the nudity, not the gore. :D

Mister Ugly

Netflix Series: Daredevil

A couple of hours ago I finished watching the whole season one of Daredevil. There are 13 episodes each at 53 minutes so we are talking 11 hours and 29 minutes. Of course this does include credits. I am an old school fan of Daredevil. Him and spidey, Cap and the FF are what my boyhood collections started with so I was really ready to have DD brought to life in a good series. I was not one of the haters of the DD movie. It could have been way better but I understood it was not Marvel behind it and so enjoyed it as it was done. [Lets leave it at that]

Now I was expecting something good from Netflix after all they have done well with 'House of Cards' and they delivered. The casting is great and spot on, the acting for the most part was very good. Each episode tied together itself and the larger story. The series is dark, darker then the 'Arrow'. This is set early in DD's career and though he is a very good fighter [the fights look like a lot of MMA as well as martial arts and ninja aspects] he gets beat on a lot. In classic one on one he does well and in set pieces where he can use shadows and darkness he rules but in the frantic battles he fights most every episode he gets pounded on. Normally he wins [and yes he losses a few times which leave him near death] but even winning can be brutal.

The best though is not the fight scenes, though there are a few that just blow your mind, it is the characters themselves. The interplay between Matt and Foggy, Karan's growing obsession and how it effects her, Ben Urich's battles between he need to be the reporter and his desire to see to his sick wife, Even the 'bad guys' are not your cliche driven villains. Wilson Fisk [they never call him the 'Kingpin' in the series] has to one of the classic villains done. He is more then just the evil man trying to destory. He dreams of building a better city for everyone and though he does not like cruelty he uses it to get what he thinks needs done. He is flawed and shy around the Beautiful art director Vanessa [yes she does become his Vanessa to those of you that know Kingpin].

Are there standout performaces? Yes all of them as far as I can see. Did I have favorites? Yes I loved Claire and hope she is in the next series, Vanessa by the end is chilling in how she has embraced Wilson's life, Foggy though is surprisingly important as the heart of the group and at the end him and Matt are closer then ever.

On and ending note I do not recommend younger children watching this. It is brutal at times, very brutal and DD does torture people to get the information he wants and needs. He will break arms and whatever when they refuse to talk. SO I don't think it would be good for younger children steeped in the lore of the good heroes to see this kind of darker hero.

Deamonbane-- Yes only Netflix has Daredevil and do not expect it on DVD unless its from Netflix. For the price of one month Daredevil is worth it, I plan on watching it again.

Mathim-- all 13 episodes of "season one' are out and trust me they are good.

MU~
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Mathim

Quote from: Mister Ugly on April 11, 2015, 02:04:54 PM
Netflix Series: Daredevil

A couple of hours ago I finished watching the whole season one of Daredevil. There are 13 episodes each at 53 minutes so we are talking 11 hours and 29 minutes. Of course this does include credits. I am an old school fan of Daredevil. Him and spidey, Cap and the FF are what my boyhood collections started with so I was really ready to have DD brought to life in a good series. I was not one of the haters of the DD movie. It could have been way better but I understood it was not Marvel behind it and so enjoyed it as it was done. [Lets leave it at that]

Now I was expecting something good from Netflix after all they have done well with 'House of Cards' and they delivered. The casting is great and spot on, the acting for the most part was very good. Each episode tied together itself and the larger story. The series is dark, darker then the 'Arrow'. This is set early in DD's career and though he is a very good fighter [the fights look like a lot of MMA as well as martial arts and ninja aspects] he gets beat on a lot. In classic one on one he does well and in set pieces where he can use shadows and darkness he rules but in the frantic battles he fights most every episode he gets pounded on. Normally he wins [and yes he losses a few times which leave him near death] but even winning can be brutal.

The best though is not the fight scenes, though there are a few that just blow your mind, it is the characters themselves. The interplay between Matt and Foggy, Karan's growing obsession and how it effects her, Ben Urich's battles between he need to be the reporter and his desire to see to his sick wife, Even the 'bad guys' are not your cliche driven villains. Wilson Fisk [they never call him the 'Kingpin' in the series] has to one of the classic villains done. He is more then just the evil man trying to destory. He dreams of building a better city for everyone and though he does not like cruelty he uses it to get what he thinks needs done. He is flawed and shy around the Beautiful art director Vanessa [yes she does become his Vanessa to those of you that know Kingpin].

Are there standout performaces? Yes all of them as far as I can see. Did I have favorites? Yes I loved Claire and hope she is in the next series, Vanessa by the end is chilling in how she has embraced Wilson's life, Foggy though is surprisingly important as the heart of the group and at the end him and Matt are closer then ever.

On and ending note I do not recommend younger children watching this. It is brutal at times, very brutal and DD does torture people to get the information he wants and needs. He will break arms and whatever when they refuse to talk. SO I don't think it would be good for younger children steeped in the lore of the good heroes to see this kind of darker hero.

Deamonbane-- Yes only Netflix has Daredevil and do not expect it on DVD unless its from Netflix. For the price of one month Daredevil is worth it, I plan on watching it again.

Mathim-- all 13 episodes of "season one' are out and trust me they are good.

MU~

Good to know, good to know. I wonder if they're going to avoid going down the road of Kingpin having a son who causes trouble for a certain web-slinger.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 11, 2015, 01:34:31 PM
GoT goes overboard with the nudity, not the gore. :D

LOL, forgot to mention this as supplemental, since George R.R. Martin seems to be overly fond of male anatomy (according to South Park):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EsPnmLVYj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjzC2DRgEo4

Beorning

So, it looks like "Daredevil" is another win for Marvel. Good  ;D

On the other hand, a friend supplied me with some "Guardians Of The Galaxy" comics this weekend - the Abnett & Lanning series and bits of the current series. And... reading these comics made me really annoyed at the Guardians' movie. The older series is quite good, with Star-Lord being a seasoned cosmic superhero, Rocket Raccoon being a heroic character with just some temper etc. Meanwhile, in the new comics, Star-Lord is a young Chris Pratt lookalike and a former thief. And Rocket just keeps shouting at everyone and behaving totally not heroic...

I really hate that the characterization that was created out of thin air for a movie has suddenly replaced the old versions of these characters  :-(

CaptainNexus616

This usually happens when ever a comic book movie comes out the artists for the actual comics will usually try to change the heroes image to fit their screen personas better. They tried making the Joker more Ledger in the comics and I think the fans nearly killed someone over it.

Plus I should advise anyone here interested getting into the comics TO BE WARY. Marvel has this mindset of doing Hero vs. Hero stories more times than you will probably want to read. Notable instances include the Civil War, World War Hulk, and Avengers vs. X-Men.

Plus....this is my own personal opinion but their are some instances where the Avengers' ability to use common sense is pretty much shut off for the sake of pushing the plot along. If you want to hear me rant over the Superior Spider-Man series please ask me  ;D

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2015, 02:46:48 PM
So, it looks like "Daredevil" is another win for Marvel. Good  ;D

On the other hand, a friend supplied me with some "Guardians Of The Galaxy" comics this weekend - the Abnett & Lanning series and bits of the current series. And... reading these comics made me really annoyed at the Guardians' movie. The older series is quite good, with Star-Lord being a seasoned cosmic superhero, Rocket Raccoon being a heroic character with just some temper etc. Meanwhile, in the new comics, Star-Lord is a young Chris Pratt lookalike and a former thief. And Rocket just keeps shouting at everyone and behaving totally not heroic...

I really hate that the characterization that was created out of thin air for a movie has suddenly replaced the old versions of these characters  :-(

When you need to accomplish so many objectives within the span of a single movie, some of that stuff just has to change. I mean, they needed to shorten everyone's backstory since no one got their own origin story, and make it believable that they'd all tolerate working together and eventually become friends. I'm not overly familiar with the comics but I don't think what little I've seen would be conducive to making this all happen within two hours or so. Just saying.

And has anyone seen the new Ant-Man trailer yet? Holy fucking ass crackers, that shit knocked my socks off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpZevFifuo

Frankly, if that had been the first trailer they'd released, I would never have doubted they could make this fun as hell to watch. That first one was really just a dud. This one is so above and beyond I almost wish they'd just waited.

CaptainNexus616

Definitely agreed on Ant-Man. However I am curious about something else though. I am wondering how the other Infinity Stones are going to be revealed since we still have three more to go.

Its no secret Doctor Strange is a definite possibility of one Infinity Stone being involved. I would say the Black Panther movie may be another possible reveal as well....thoughts anyone?

SapphireStar

New casting update for X-Men: Apocalypse. Olivia Munn has been cast to appear as Psylocke.

On another news front, news blurb, Ryan Reynolds was hit by a car in Toronto. It is reported he is doing okay.

Michelle MacLaren who was going to direct the Wonder Woman has exited the project.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 13, 2015, 11:15:24 PM
Definitely agreed on Ant-Man. However I am curious about something else though. I am wondering how the other Infinity Stones are going to be revealed since we still have three more to go.

Its no secret Doctor Strange is a definite possibility of one Infinity Stone being involved. I would say the Black Panther movie may be another possible reveal as well....thoughts anyone?

Well apparently the one in Loki's scepter isn't just another part of the Tesseract, it is another complete Infiniti Stone of its own. Rumor has it that it is the Mind Gem (although the other ones aren't exactly following the same rules as the comics, so how accurate this one is can't be vouched) and that it will be what gives the Vision his sentience, among other things. After all, some of the Vision's abilities are so out there that to have any explanation other than that it was a gift of the Infiniti Stone probably wouldn't fly. He's almost like Marvel's version of the Martian Manhunter.

Strange also is a strong possibility since we're not likely to see one in Civil War considering HYDRA already has the scepter in their possession, and what are the odds of them having two? Strange travels to different dimensions so that's a good way to ensure that not many of them are so close to Earth. Then there's Guardians 2 so that can be a way to find another one out in the dark recesses of space. As of that point, that would make 6 in total. Ragnarok would leave Asgard in ruins most likely and make it easy for Thanos to waltz in and grab the Tesseract and the Gauntlet. He already used the scepter in a gambit that failed to either retrieve the Tesseract or even return the one he gave Loki. The Nova Corps is severely weakened now so taking the one from them can't be too difficult. The Collector's place was trashed so taking the Aether back won't be difficult either. So pretty much just the ones on Earth and in Strange's possession would be hard to get, I would think. So Infiniti War will probably take place mostly on Earth.

Beorning

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 13, 2015, 07:24:51 PM
This usually happens when ever a comic book movie comes out the artists for the actual comics will usually try to change the heroes image to fit their screen personas better. They tried making the Joker more Ledger in the comics and I think the fans nearly killed someone over it.

Yeah, but it's not only about appearance, but about the backstory and characterization.

I mean, just imagine a situation when a Justice League movie comes out... and it turns out that the creators dropped Wonder Woman's Amazon background and turned her into a grity supersoldier, because they felt it'd be easier to do in a movie. And *then*, imagine that after the movie comes out, DC retcons the comic book Wonder Woman to be a supersoldier, too... That's basically what seems to be happening to GOTG characters and it saddens me greatly.

Quote from: Mathim on April 13, 2015, 11:03:24 PM
When you need to accomplish so many objectives within the span of a single movie, some of that stuff just has to change. I mean, they needed to shorten everyone's backstory since no one got their own origin story, and make it believable that they'd all tolerate working together and eventually become friends. I'm not overly familiar with the comics but I don't think what little I've seen would be conducive to making this all happen within two hours or so. Just saying.

I really don't see why it would be impossible to incorporate Star-Lord's "ex-cosmic adventurer fallen on hard times" characterization into a movie. In a way, the movie's creators were pretty unoriginal... I mean, how many "lovable rogue turned hero" characters are there in comics? Marvel's Gambit, DC / Wildstorm's Grifter... heck, the movie Star-Lord even *looks* like Grifter. Not to mention, the "lovable rogue" backstory doesn't even explain why he calls himself Star-Lord - meanwhile, the original backstory makes this name make sense. "Star-Lord" is a name of an awe-inspiring cosmic hero, not a thief... and that name originally *fit* the character, because, originally, Star-Lord *was* an awe-inspiring cosmic superhero. I mean, during Annihilation: Conquest, people were actually joining his team because of the fame associated with that name...

It's a sad thing that the movie's creators tossed all of this out. And it's even sadder that Marvel retconned in that take on Star-Lord as canon and invalidated the original Star-Lord character.

And I really hate the new mysanthropic take on Rocket... :( I mean, the current version's recurrent line is: "We need to run away from this new danger! We shouldn't care about it! Self-interest goes first!". Meanwhile, in the Abnett & Lanning GOTG series, Rocket Raccoon was the one guy who kept the Guardians going after a crisis tore the team apart... He had a temper, true, but he was clearly a hero.

On more positive note: that Ant-Man trailer really does look interesting!

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 14, 2015, 12:34:48 AM
New casting update for X-Men: Apocalypse. Olivia Munn has been cast to appear as Psylocke.

British Psylocke or Asian Psylocke, I wonder..?

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on April 15, 2015, 12:49:50 PM
Yeah, but it's not only about appearance, but about the backstory and characterization.

I mean, just imagine a situation when a Justice League movie comes out... and it turns out that the creators dropped Wonder Woman's Amazon background and turned her into a grity supersoldier, because they felt it'd be easier to do in a movie. And *then*, imagine that after the movie comes out, DC retcons the comic book Wonder Woman to be a supersoldier, too... That's basically what seems to be happening to GOTG characters and it saddens me greatly.

I really don't see why it would be impossible to incorporate Star-Lord's "ex-cosmic adventurer fallen on hard times" characterization into a movie. In a way, the movie's creators were pretty unoriginal... I mean, how many "lovable rogue turned hero" characters are there in comics? Marvel's Gambit, DC / Wildstorm's Grifter... heck, the movie Star-Lord even *looks* like Grifter. Not to mention, the "lovable rogue" backstory doesn't even explain why he calls himself Star-Lord - meanwhile, the original backstory makes this name make sense. "Star-Lord" is a name of an awe-inspiring cosmic hero, not a thief... and that name originally *fit* the character, because, originally, Star-Lord *was* an awe-inspiring cosmic superhero. I mean, during Annihilation: Conquest, people were actually joining his team because of the fame associated with that name...

It's a sad thing that the movie's creators tossed all of this out. And it's even sadder that Marvel retconned in that take on Star-Lord as canon and invalidated the original Star-Lord character.

And I really hate the new mysanthropic take on Rocket... :( I mean, the current version's recurrent line is: "We need to run away from this new danger! We shouldn't care about it! Self-interest goes first!". Meanwhile, in the Abnett & Lanning GOTG series, Rocket Raccoon was the one guy who kept the Guardians going after a crisis tore the team apart... He had a temper, true, but he was clearly a hero.

On more positive note: that Ant-Man trailer really does look interesting!

British Psylocke or Asian Psylocke, I wonder..?

I disagree if only because it makes the movie flow better. Quill not having any skills other than using Ravager tech and barely being able to hand-to-hand fight or be that athletic makes it more significant for him to be the 'leader' and keep the group together, otherwise it's like, "Do we really need this guy?" Sort of like how Black Widow and Hawkeye just don't measure up to the rest of the Avengers. Plus having his alien half be more mysterious adds intrigue and opens up potential for a different story. I mean, in the entire Marvel cosmos, is it really possible to cram everything we would want in there? Of course not. So why not make a looser alternate universe that will make it easier to cram as much as possible without it being too strained? That works a bit better IMO, but I do get where you're coming from, I just don't find it that terribly significant. Everything else they seemed to do, graphics and appearance-wise, was spot on. Only thing I'd change is have Ronan be the head of the Universal Church of Truth so he seems to have more than just a Sakaaran army behind him, but several planets' worth of fanatics and even more conquests under his belt. Also to show him doing more stuff to make him a more detestable villain.

CaptainNexus616

You know Ronan and Malcrath or however it is pronounced from Thor the Dark World aren't that much different.....

Seeks to regain the lost glory of their people? Check

Sought an Infinity Stone before succeeded in possessing one before the end of the same movie? Check

Vast evil army they lost by the end of the movie? Check

Giant weird looking carrier-class spaceship that is destroyed the same movie it is introduced? Check

Genocide fanatics that would destroy everything that wasn't part of their species if they didn't die before the end of the movie? CHECK