News:

Main Menu

The Colors of the Moon

Started by Spookie Monster, October 14, 2008, 05:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

Is the moon really this colorful?  In a way, yes.  The lunar surface actually does have quite a bit of color, although in reality it is very subtle.  In this photograph, the color saturation has been enhanced to bring out the differences in the colors of the various areas of the surface.  The hues are correct, just much more vivid than we usually see them.

Check out the picture here.  It's pretty cool.  In fact, I can recommend Russell Croman's whole site.

Enjoy!

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Caeli

Oooh... that's awesome!
Spel, you always find the coolest stuff. :D
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

The Overlord

A lot of it has to do with contrast; the moon comes out looking to the eye like a mottled collection of light to medium grays, since we're seeing it against the near perfect blackness of space.

But during the Apollo missions ground control commented that astronauts with lunar dust on their suits looked like they've been playing in a coal bin. Likewise, the crews found areas of orange or rust hued soil up there. I don't recall the cause; certainly it's not actually iron rust because that would imply oxidation in a near-vacuum environment, but there is indeed color there.

Vekseid

A significant portion of the Moon's soil is titanium oxide (which is what's used to make marshmallows white). It's important to realize that the moon is quite capable of holding an atmosphere for a billion year or so to allow oxidation to occur.

ShrowdedPoet

Simply beautiful!  Thanks Spel!
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

The Overlord

Quote from: Vekseid on October 15, 2008, 09:58:28 AM
It's important to realize that the moon is quite capable of holding an atmosphere for a billion year or so to allow oxidation to occur.

You have a source you're quoting on this? I've never seen anything on the topic to suggest the moon did or could have more than a bare trace atmosphere.

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Storiwyr on October 03, 2008, 08:56:11 PMSpel, you always find the coolest stuff. :)

Quote from: Caeli on October 14, 2008, 06:08:33 PMSpel, you always find the coolest stuff. :D

Whoa... déjà vu.  Am I back in the Matrix?

Seriously, Caeli, thanks for the generous words. :)  I'm glad that you enjoyed it!  And thank you, too, ShrowdedPoet; you're welcome indeed! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~