The Election Thread

Started by Stattick, September 26, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Just as an aside, doesn't  this picture have an amazing vibe of the two contenders setting up some devious scheme together?

An even better photo most likely taken the same night at the top of this article   ;D Real "now we're gonna set them up big time" expressions.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

SweetKnickers

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 28, 2012, 07:47:26 PM
Just as an aside, doesn't *PICTURE* have an amazing vibe of the two contenders setting up some devious scheme together?

An even better photo most likely taken the same night at the top of *PICTURE*  ;D Real "now we're gonna set them up big time" expressions.

I think it's a testament of my weirdness that my first thought after seeing those went to "heterosexual life partners". Seriously, me, what the h*ll? But I'm actually not completely and utterly certain that Obama will win anymore. Americans are confusing.  >:( Haha...

- SweetKnickers

One learns to feel and feels to yearn.

gaggedLouise

The second one has a wonderful schoolyard quality too, I think - two smart kids planning an elegant prank.

SweetKnickers

Indeed. It looks like Romney is quite pleased with the plan.  :P

One learns to feel and feels to yearn.

gaggedLouise

"If you deliberately underperform in Florida and send Pat Robertson in to support you in MA I will make you boss of the Fed"?  :D

Stattick

O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Decide to vote early.  The ballot here in Florid is TWO pages. Front and back. Something like 9 state amendments including one to short circuit ObamaCare.

Stattick

Once again, Paul Ryan gets caught pretending to help people.

QuoteIt was the second of Paul Ryan's photo ops in his home state today where the campaign made a show of helping storm victims however they could. At the first stop in La Crosse, the vice presidential nominee thanked supporters for coming, shaking hands with some standing in front of an American flag, where minutes before, aides arranged boxes of Cheerios and cans of corn in perfect order.

In Hudson, the packing was proceeding too quickly, and the supporters wearing red "Team Wisconsin" t-shirts were given the order to slow down and then to stop to be sure there were still goods to be packed when Ryan entered.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

The Making Of Romney's Storm Relief Event

QuoteBut the event had its hitches. When reporters s arrived on site ahead of the candidate, they were given press badges describing the event as a "victory rally" — a result, one aide told BuzzFeed, of the event's last-minute repurposing. He said the badges were printed Monday morning, before the change had been announced.

And shortly thereafter, the two large projector screens near the ceiling lit up with a glossy, 10-minute biographical video about the candidate, one that debuted at the Republican National Convention. A state campaign official blamed "someone from the audiovisual team" for playing the video without the campaign's permission.

But the last-minute nature of the call for donations left some in the campaign concerned that they would end up with an empty truck. So the night before the event, campaign aides went to a local Wal Mart and spent $5,000 on granola bars, canned food, and diapers to put on display while they waited for donations to come in, according to one staffer. (The campaign confirmed that it "did donate supplies to the relief effort," but would not specify how much it spent.)

As supporters lined up to greet the candidate, a young volunteer in a Romney/Ryan t-shirt stood near the tables, his hands cupped around his mouth, shouting, "You need a donation to get in line!"

Empty-handed supporters pled for entrance, with one woman asking, "What if we dropped off our donations up front?"

The volunteer gestured toward a pile of groceries conveniently stacked near the candidate. "Just grab something," he said.

Two teenage boys retrieved a jar of peanut butter each, and got in line. When it was their turn, they handed their "donations" to Romney. He took them, smiled, and offered an earnest "Thank you."

Mitt Romney. Still putting the "ass" in "class".
O/O   A/A

Caremejo

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 28, 2012, 09:09:22 PM
The second one has a wonderful schoolyard quality too, I think - two smart kids planning an elegant prank.

Those pictures are delicious. They remind me of the final Southpark Episode after the 2008 election where it turns out McCain and Obama ran for president so that ... well I don't want to spoil the episode. But I was amused.

As for Joss Whedon's Zomney Apocalypse, I adore him in just about (not quite) everything he does. Another week and we'll be past this election and Obama can get back to the White House and Zomney can do whatever it is he's going to do.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caremejo on October 31, 2012, 05:58:35 PM

Those pictures are delicious. They remind me of the final Southpark Episode after the 2008 election where it turns out McCain and Obama ran for president so that ... well I don't want to spoil the episode. But I was amused.

As for Joss Whedon's Zomney Apocalypse, I adore him in just about (not quite) everything he does. Another week and we'll be past this election and Obama can get back to the White House and Zomney can do whatever it is he's going to do.

Which will be four more years of campaigning for president.

Valerian

Speaking of Romney's donations:

http://www.redcross.org/help-faq

Unfortunately, due to logistical constraints the Red Cross does not accept or solicit individual donations or collections of items. Items such as collected food, used clothing and shoes must be sorted, cleaned, repackaged and transported which impedes the valuable resources of money, time, and personnel.
As Stattick pointed out, the Romney campaign bought virtually all the food items they supposedly 'collected'.  Except the Red Cross isn't actually going to be able to use any of that stuff, so it's not going to be of much help to any storm victims.  Too bad someone on the Romney campaign didn't have the sense to take five minutes to check with the Red Cross to find out what would be most useful.  They were apparently too busy arranging something that would look good for the cameras.  :P

Though a comparison doesn't make Romney look good at all.

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Teo Torriatte

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 31, 2012, 06:53:59 PM
Which will be four more years of campaigning for president.

Nah... if Romney doesn't get it this time.. it will be Chris Christie or maybe Jeb Bush running in four years.

Valerian

Or Scott Walker, unless the FBI manages to arrest him before then.

I know, court cases take time to put together.  I'm just tired of seeing him stampede all over my state.  :(
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Teo Torriatte

Oohh Obama is speaking from Green Bay, right now actually.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Valerian on November 01, 2012, 10:39:16 AM
Or Scott Walker, unless the FBI manages to arrest him before then.

I know, court cases take time to put together.  I'm just tired of seeing him stampede all over my state.  :(

Nah, he'll pull a 'Mike Easley' and get away with something small. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Easley#Felony_conviction

Oniya

Other than absentee ballots, does anyone know any methods of voting other than showing up on Tuesday?  Mr. Oniya got a work assignment today that might take him out of town for the elections.  Absentee ballots had to be requested by this past Tuesday.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 01, 2012, 10:54:31 AM
Nah, he'll pull a 'Mike Easley' and get away with something small. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Easley#Felony_conviction
That's okay, too.  If he's convicted of any felony, he can't be governor anymore.

Though truthfully, I'd really rather he had to serve some serious time, even if only in a cushy federal prison.

Quote from: Oniya on November 01, 2012, 10:56:11 AM
Other than absentee ballots, does anyone know any methods of voting other than showing up on Tuesday?  Mr. Oniya got a work assignment today that might take him out of town for the elections.  Absentee ballots had to be requested by this past Tuesday.
No early voting in your state?  That's about all I can think of.  Unless it's possible to go down to the county clerk's office and request an absentee ballot on the spot, though I think most places disallow that.  :/  Might be worth checking with them, though.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on November 01, 2012, 10:56:11 AM

You can request an Emergency Absentee Ballot, but it must be notarized and a qualified excuse must be given.

Unfortunately, PA does not have early voting.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Thanks, Torch - just finished printing the form.  He might have to do some running around this evening.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Torch

You're welcome. The hard part is probably finding a notary public, the rest should be easy. :-)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Found one that's open until  7 PM, not far from here.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Valerian on November 01, 2012, 10:58:37 AM
That's okay, too.  If he's convicted of any felony, he can't be governor anymore.

Though truthfully, I'd really rather he had to serve some serious time, even if only in a cushy federal prison.

No early voting in your state?  That's about all I can think of.  Unless it's possible to go down to the county clerk's office and request an absentee ballot on the spot, though I think most places disallow that.  :/  Might be worth checking with them, though.

True but he can still play back room politics and work for folks like the Koch brothers.

Valerian

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 01, 2012, 12:28:35 PM
True but he can still play back room politics and work for folks like the Koch brothers.
Oh, I'm sure the Koch brothers already have a nice job lined up for him.  It'll probably be nothing but a formality, just an excuse for handing him a paycheck, but really, I almost hope they give him some sort of responsibility.  I'd be amused to see him destroy some small portion of the Koch empire through his rampant idiocy and short-sightedness.

The Timothy Russell trial is scheduled to begin in early December, so I'm hoping that will shake some more information loose on the John Doe investigation.  Russell is the former Walker chief of staff who embezzled over $20,000 from a veteran's charity, and Walker's been subpoenaed to testify.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE