Is this the final design?

Started by Izu, July 10, 2014, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Quote from: Orange Marmalade on July 10, 2014, 10:33:42 PM
One thing about the spoilers - you have to add an extra line break after each one now. Can we fix that so it isn't necessary? This breaks all existing spoilers in current threads unless we do. For example if I had something that used to look like

spoiler
Stuff goes here!

And some more stuff goes here!

Now looks like this:

spoiler
Stuff goes here!
And some more stuff goes here!

There's an enter pressed at the end of the spoiler line but it doesn't take effect unless you add another one.

Acttually, I can think of a potential use for having
The Spoiler
Which hides something in it's murky depths
in the same line as the text around it.... I still don't see it replacing The Acronym, though, but there is a use for that...

For example if one wishes to include a
picture
in the text... something like that. (And yes that is SFW, sort of...!)

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Dale

Thank you very much for the improvements and theme options oh magnificent Veks.

Haibane

Quote from: Chrystal on July 11, 2014, 02:59:15 AM
For example if one wishes to include a
picture
in the text... something like that. (And yes that is SFW, sort of...!)
A url tag will do that.

NileGoddess

My main computer has a 1920x1080 screen, and I'm noticing a lot of empty space with the new header.

For example, if I go to My Book Marks or new replies to posts, the shoutbox section, along with my inbox notifications, are on a big stub that stretches about 1/3 of the way across the screen, but is centered. As a result, there's a ton of empty, blank space to the left and right of the shoutbox and the elliquian herald and post section. New message notifications also get dwarfed by this as well, since the text is smaller.

As someone who never uses the shoutbox and keeps it always closed, it seems like there's less forum now.

Chrystal

Quote from: Haibane on July 11, 2014, 07:16:57 AM
A url tag will do that.

True, but you might not want to redirect or open a new tab/window...

I'm just playing Satan's Egg Nog here.

Quote from: NileGoddess on July 11, 2014, 07:35:51 AM
My main computer has a 1920x1080 screen, and I'm noticing a lot of empty space with the new header.

For example, if I go to My Book Marks or new replies to posts, the shoutbox section, along with my inbox notifications, are on a big stub that stretches about 1/3 of the way across the screen, but is centered. As a result, there's a ton of empty, blank space to the left and right of the shoutbox and the elliquian herald and post section. New message notifications also get dwarfed by this as well, since the text is smaller.

As someone who never uses the shoutbox and keeps it always closed, it seems like there's less forum now.

I noticed Veks has put two options, one with the SB and one without. I'm now using the one without.

You could always make the browser window smaller to remove the empty space? I realise that's possibly counter productive, but it is an option!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

kylie

Is it just me, or is the idea here actually to put the ad bar more in one's face (ahem) center stage very frequently -- whether you use the Shoutbox or not?  I don't really care for this. 

And I also feel right now like, I still have to scroll left and right to get all this unwanted stuff to go away and view the forums proper.

Quote from: Chrystal
You could always make the browser window smaller to remove the empty space? I realise that's possibly counter productive, but it is an option!

Sounds most likely counterproductive to me. 

Scrolling past everything every time you load the Index page is possible too...  And also very possibly annoying.

Vekseid

I added the 'widescreen' variant for you people.

Bloodied Porcelain

I would love to have the old spoilers back... all of my threads that required a decent level of organization relied heavily upon them and these new short ones just make everything look messy and disorganized. Lots of spoilers on one line that used to be on different ones, little spoilers that used to be easy to find you now have to go looking for... It's a mess.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Kitsunetsuki

Thank you, Veks, for the "No Shoutbox" option!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Vampdrake19

Could you fix the broken image thing when it hits the "No Shoutbox" option, please?
Available for New Threads.  See links below if interested.  PM for discussion.  RP threads on Forums ONLY.
Bloodscale Manor (Updated with O/O's and Character Pods)
Thread Parlor
Times Away (A/A's)
Fair warning to those who are partners with me, recently or previously: posts will come slow, so patience is required.  Also: I don't reply to E-mails and I don't do Discord

Vekseid

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on July 11, 2014, 09:21:59 AM
I would love to have the old spoilers back... all of my threads that required a decent level of organization relied heavily upon them and these new short ones just make everything look messy and disorganized. Lots of spoilers on one line that used to be on different ones, little spoilers that used to be easy to find you now have to go looking for... It's a mess.

I've turned off 'block level', but I fear that may risk breaking a lot of things, so let me know ASAP if it does.

Edit: That was a very bad idea : /

For now, just add another line break (press enter again) or use the br tag.

Finding a middle-ground solution has been non-trivial.

Quote from: Vampdrake19 on July 11, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
Could you fix the broken image thing when it hits the "No Shoutbox" option, please?

Edit: Nevermind, fixed.

Beguile's Mistress

I've been in and out of the SB in the forums today and haven't had any issues with the eyes and other problems like I had yesterday.  My brain is happy again.  Thank you.

Oreo

*hugs BeMi* It's really something how visuals can affect the brain. Now, if the SB had been flickering, I would have died. >.<

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

I thought about that and wondered.  I'm glad you didn't have that problem.  I've been wearing my shades all day, even inside.  It's very sunny and bright today.

Vekseid

Alright, I've added parameters to the spoiler tag.

[spoiler innerblock=1 block=1 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]
[spoiler block=1 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]
[spoiler block=1 width=400 height=50 title=Hello There]world[/spoiler]

Hello There
world
Hello There
world
Hello There
world

innerblock=1 does nothing without block=1 (effectively). block=1 turns it into a block tag, forcing newlines, but will still retain the smaller text.

Geraint

Hi Veks, and thanks for all your work to deal with user issues.  I know it must be difficult to deal with all of our different perspectives.

The no shoutbox and wide screen options help me a lot in terms of visual space … thank you!

Could they be combined?

My eyes, however are still having a lot of trouble with the additional colors that don't seem to blend well with the original default colors, and going back and forth among what visually seem like five or six different shades of blue on the page.  (The blue gray version still hurts my eyes, so I don't use it)

Right now the black and blue button bar shouts at me and distracts me from the text, as does the blue in the spoiler tags. 

I realize that calling attention may be the intent, but having the additional distraction for the eyes makes it hard to write any but the briefest of messages, and painful to look at the screen as I move from thread to thread with all the flashes of different colors

I also mourn the loss of uniform looking, simple to use, nonintrusive spoiler tags. 

It's just a bunch of little things, perhaps petty seeming,  but the net effect is a large distraction from writing for me.  If the very welcome changes you've made to restore and add function could be accomplished without the addition of contrasting colors, it would make the page a lot easier to read. 

My thanks to you for reading this.

Vekseid

I need to redo how 'no shoutbox' works, obviously. Makes little sense to duplicate each theme.

Are the spoiler tags easier on your eyes now?

For the button bar, will try to think of something. A lot of people found 'Find Partners' for the first time yesterday, so I'm hesitant >_>

Flower

I like the new color. Less shiny.

Geraint

Quote from: Vekseid on July 11, 2014, 01:28:32 PM
I need to redo how 'no shoutbox' works, obviously. Makes little sense to duplicate each theme.

Are the spoiler tags easier on your eyes now?

For the button bar, will try to think of something. A lot of people found 'Find Partners' for the first time yesterday, so I'm hesitant >_>
Many thanks for working on this Veks

The spoiler tag color looks much better. 

The button bar itself is not my problem, nor is its position.  It's just the colors that shout at me.

Chrystal

*HUGS* For BeMi. Glad you're feeling better!

*goes to check the effect on the spoilers*

Chrystal

Um, Sorry to be a pain, but embedded spoilers don't work with the parameters?

Hello There
Hello There
Hello There
world

MagicalPen

It'd be nice if the Advertisement area was above the 'shoutbox' area that also displays personal messages etc. ? As it is now, I barely notice if I have new messages (PMs) because that part is off the screen when writing new posts etc. Its too close to the top, in a place I never look at.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Oreo

Quote from: MagicalPen on July 11, 2014, 03:29:52 PM
It'd be nice if the Advertisement area was above the 'shoutbox' area that also displays personal messages etc. ? As it is now, I barely notice if I have new messages (PMs) because that part is off the screen when writing new posts etc. Its too close to the top, in a place I never look at.

Have you tried using the pop up option? In Personal Messages?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

Quote from: Chrystal on July 11, 2014, 01:50:18 PM
Um, Sorry to be a pain, but embedded spoilers don't work with the parameters?

Hello There
Hello There
Hello There
world

Apparently not : /

I think the only option is probably going to be to make a new 'collapsible' tag.

kylie

Widescreen :  I'm not sure it's a good solution, unless your screen is actually wide. 

I'm on a 14 inch at 1366 x 768, and widescreen makes everything feel a little small.  You can change the browser zoom settings, but that makes some of the overall format feel distorted then too.  It's all better for actually, potentially seeing more of the site per click again, but I feel like the quality is still myeh.

Mixed about the "Find Partners" stuff.  I clicked in the stuff I most often play or would most like to play lately...  But there's no option to distinguish stuff I might like to play but less frequently.  Generally I think it's good, but 'less common' or 'less comfortable' choices will either make everything too confusing again (where people check everything that might apply and we're basically back to the huge wall of possibilities but some often don't get taken up anyway), or people could go searching for something and maybe get frustrated that it's not checked so often.  Would a sort of second tier form of box fill like "I sometimes play this but not quite so often" be worthwhile?