The ES Club (Anime/School/Club) (Request thread) (Still accepting)

Started by MelodyCake, March 13, 2017, 09:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MelodyCake

All over the school, either hidden under other flyers on the student boards, in trashcans, or floating about in the hallways after being torn down, is the flyers for the Extraordinary Search Club! Or, the ES club for short. Yet, despite the fact that the school is already well into the first semester, it seems that the club is almost dead, except for the only known member, Ian Kenton; who overly enthusiastically continues to distribute the flyers around school, even going as far as to slip some into lockers. Ether way, Ian Kenton has managed to become slightly famous amongst the students as the rumours about his club continue to rise.

Yet, despite all that, Ian continues being blissfully unaware of the rumours, as he eagerly continues distributing the flyers he had made through out the school during the breaks, and even waiting in the club room for a few hours before heading home. Not seeming to have given up yet on starting his club. Though, one day, something changes, and all his hard work seems to have payed off one way or another, and the members start ticking in one by one.

Story Overview:

The story centres around around The ExtraOrdinary Search Club, or the ES Club for short. This roleplay will be heavily character based, but it will also have events happening through out the course of the roleplay.

Despite the fact that the characters come from different types if social circles within the school, they all have one thing in common; and that is, for one reason or another, they end up joining the ES Club. Be it due to being accidentally pulled along Ian's whims, a fellow paranormal enthusiest, a dare from a fellow student or a friend, or even just outright boredom.  The story starts with the characters slowly making their way to the club room to ether sign up for the club, or just to have a look.

Important Threads
Chapter 1 The Awakening
Information Thread
Discussion Thread
Interest Check

Requirements:

OoC Participation wanted: Players should make an effort to be as active as they can in the OoC of the roleplay. Communication is a critical requirement in group endeavors, and roleplays in general are more fun when people interact and engage with one another.
Posting Length: We've all heard of 'Quality before Quantity', but admittedly it's pretty difficult to have quality when posts are really short. Hence I would appreciate it if players would consistently attempt to write at least two paragraphs per post.
Posting Limitation: To ensure that people aren't constantly being left behind, please wait for 3 (or*) 4 people to post before posting again with the same character. (*Will settle on a number once player numbers are definitive).
Posting Frequency: I would like participants to be able to post a minimum of every 2~3 days. I intend for this to be a pretty active roleplay, and I believe activity is crucial to engagement.
Final Decisions: Players should be aware that GM Decisions are final. I'm open to brainstorming and negotiating ideas, however I can confidently claim that I know what will and won't work in a roleplay I've designed. So if something definitively doesn't work, please cooperate accordingly.

Please note: That the characters involved in this roleplay must be 18+ years or older.
Characters can very in personality and sexuality (LGB+)
Character interactions are susceptible to change throughout the course of the GRP, so please be open to interacting with a range of different character.

MelodyCake

Name: Ian Kenton
Sexuality: Bisexual
Height: 5'4 (162 cm)
Hair Color: Caramel brown
Eye Color: Green

Personality:

Obsessed with the paranormal: Ever since the Ian was a kid, he has found himself actively trying to hunt down the creatures from the picture books that were read to him as a child. Despite the fact his obsession has dimmed a bit over the years, the longing to complete his childlike dream of capturing something abnormal has not withered away. If anything, the hunger of having his thirst quenched had only found itself rekindled in his later teens, the desire burning even brighter then ever.
Shiny Collector: When stumbling upon something 'shiny' as the boy would call it, he isn't always able to contain himself from picking it up and putting it in his pocket; be it marbles, smoothed out glass, funny shaped rocks, coins and more. Of course, he is also just as quick as to explain why he picked up the said item, though the stories are just as unbelievable as his reasoning for believing in the abnormal.

Strengths and Skills:

Eccentric: Ian has always been the odd one out, the last one picked, and he has been fine with that. If anything, it appears he has embraced his unconventional approach to life and his love for the paranormal.
Puppy dog friendly: If you are nice, charming or funny, you officially become Ian's friend. Perhaps trying too hard at times, he always does his best at making his first impression count. Greeting everyone with a bright smile, and even a hug if it's welcomed. Perhaps one of the many reasons why the brunette has managed to get himself somewhat known amongst his peers. But it is possibly one of the few reasons why Ian has never been outright hated for his outlandish behaviour.

Flaws and Weaknesses:

Technical difficulties: Never, ever, ever, place Ian in front of a computer. Ian was shunned by the tech-gods when he was born, and little has changed over the years. His ability to break anything which is plugged into an electric port in itself could be considered a talent if breaking things could be considered as one, as for using it? Maybe one day.
Culinary “artist”: The gods must of being having a public holiday during his christening, as the deities of the dining table also forgot to give him their blessings. Ian is a mess in the kitchen and in addition to his destructive powers with electronic appliances, his ‘kitchen witchcraft’ can sadly even set water on fire. At least the fire looks pretty?

Ian has managed to gain quite the reputation since the start of the semester.
One of them being that he escaped the loony bin and isn't actually a student.
Another is doing a social experiment.
The third is that he his actually a pervert, trying to make a collection for an harem.
A fourth, is that he lost a bet, and therefor is acting the way he is, that there is actually no ES club.
The one that perhaps stands the most out is that he is the son of the principal.
One thing is for certain, Ian Kenton ether seems to be ignoring the rumours, or is blissfully unaware of what is being said behind his back.

I thought I'd set up a character sheet application for those interested, the format might change if this actually takes off.

Character sheet application
[float=left][img height=300] (IMAGE link here) [/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age: [/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Hair Color: [/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

(Pick one or two, explain)

[b]Strengths and Skills:[/b]

[b]Flaws and Weaknesses:[/b]

[b]Why has your character decided to join the ES club?[/b]

(Was it a dare? ''Captivated'' by the ES club president? Or just curious? Please explain, in at least a paragraph why your character has decided to join.)

[b]What social circle is your character in?[/b]

(Examples: The nerds? Cheerleader? School athlete? How do their friends perceive them within said group?)

Kokaine

I could be up for some lighthearted fun in this if it attacts others.
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Avalon29

I'm certainly interested in this if we get enough interest. It looks like some good lighthearted fun.

JoanieSappho

MelodyCake

Glad to have the four of you interested, Kokaine, Avalon, Joanie and Idle :)

I might add an NPC or two into my own character list sometime tomorrow :)

quozax

How about a character that can see and talk to ghosts that no one else can see or hear.  Everyone thinks his just crazy.

Avalon29

Oh question, does the club focus on just the supernatural ghosts, vampires, and stuff or all kinds of UMA?

MelodyCake

I have had two people mention it in PM's that the roleplay reminds them a little bit of the anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, even someone mentioning Kokoro Connect, so I am a little bit wondering if we should go down that route a bit?

If I'd go with something like that, I'd want people not to tell anyone asides from the GM, me, about what mythical creature they'd be basing their character off. At least it wouldn't be in the character sheet.
They would all look human though.

Ether way, I was sort of thinking that the over all theme of the ES Club would be the abnormal; ghosts, espers, alians, vampires, etc. But it wouldn't necessarily be seen, at least not at the start.

Leki

Might possibly be interested in something like this~
Though it'd largely depend on how things are executed.
I personally prefer a non-mythical creature approach when it comes to player characters, and go for a Suzumiya Haruhi approach where characters;
- Believe they've got special powers, or believe themselves to be a mythical creature (but can't substantiate it).
- Or they have powers, but they're pretty negligible and pointless.

Essentially I'd prefer the roleplay to be about a group of humans students chasing after the paranormal. Opposed to an after-school club where monster/creatures gather.

Chasing after the paranormal though would be awesome in all forms.

quozax

I have only recently really started to get into anime, so I have not seen either The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Kokoro Connect. 

But, I'm going to have to agree with Leki.  I like the idea of humans chasing the supernatural.  But that doesn't mean one of the group can't be a supernatural individual who looks human, and the group doesn't know they are not human.

That might be interesting

MelodyCake

I think I channelled a little too much of Ian today when I went to the bank... I mayyyy have broken a teller machine...
And it ate my money...
And now I'm waiting for a call from the bank....
>.>
<.<

Anywho...

@Leki
What I was planning was the more normal human students chasing after the paranormal, but since there were some PM's bringing up the anime's, I thought I'd put it out there.

If I'd go for "powers", I'd more think of it as a character trait/flaw. Cause, powers will not really be used or the main focus in this roleplay, so it would be obsolete.

So with that in mind, it would be more amusing to go down the Kokoro connect route more, where, as you said, believe themselves they got special powers.
Think it could be pretty funny, for an example have a character who says they can go invisible, but only when no one is looking xD Or someone believing they are a vampire, and thus avoid garlic; hello cooking class :P

But I suppose your question helped answer my own question about powers xD
So thank you Leki :P

@quozax
Both the animes are actually pretty good in my opinion :)
But yeah, no. Ether the characters know or don't know they are supernatural individuals, I think going the unknown route would take too much from the theme I am hoping this roleplay will go.

What does the rest think? Should we introduce the concept of the characters believing they are ''special'' in someway? But of course, because of it, they try to hide their powers, that aren't really there. And what a better place to hide, then in plain sight? :P

quozax

That would go great with my character's can see ghosts powers. 

No one else can see or hear them.  Even the other members might think he's crazy.  Whether he can 'really' see ghosts is up to the GM, but I would like to play it as if he can.  I'm making a character now.

quozax

Name: Mason Forester
Sexuality: Bisexual
Height: 5' 10” (177.8 cm)
Hair Color: Light brown
Eye Color: Blue

Personality:

Rather meek:  Mason is not an overzealous personality.  He tends to stick in the background and tries to blend in.  He is not the one who will raise his hand first to be called in a classroom.  He is soft spoken but has a big heart.  If he finds a good friend, he may latch on like a leech.

Knows he's weird:  Mason talks to himself (see flaws) and looks at an empty space as if he can see someone.  He tries not to talk to himself (aka ghosts) in public places.  He's already weird enough.

Strengths and Skills:

Kind:  Mason is kind and gentle, and sometimes a pushover and can be talked into most things.   He's still a virgin at the age of 18 and because he talks to himself, he has never had a real relationship.  He would sacrifice himself to help his friends.

Can see Ghosts:  yes this is both a flaw and a strength.  Mason can see and hear ghosts.  Apparitions that no one else can see or hear – or so he says.  But sometimes he knows thing that he should not know.

Flaws and Weaknesses:

Not a geek:  Despite having glasses and decent in math; he really doesn't have a clue about technical devices.  People assume he knows all about how to hack into something or how to make a rocket – he doesn't.  And it does bug him when people assume he does.

Why has your character decided to join the ES club?

Mason wants to prove to everyone else that ghosts really do exist and that he can see and hear them.  The ES club seemed perfect for him.  He's tired of feeling weird and an outsider.  He's tired of people talking behind his back.  Maybe if he can prove to everyone these things exist, he wouldn't feel so alone.

What social circle is your character in?

Technically, Mason is an outsider.  He's not smart or tech savvy enough to be a nerd.  He's not strong or athletic like a jock.  And the few friends he has, he feels are mostly just humoring him about seeing ghosts. It's a very small group.

Leki

Name: Valsche Aldriche
Sexuality: Bi-Curious
Height: 6’1” (186cm)
Hair Color: Platinum Silver
Eye Color: Ice Blue

Personality:
Brashly Competitive: Valsche’s childhood can be characterized by the negligence and disengagement expressed by his parents. Raised by an unloving mother who was ultimately imprisoned for misappropriating funds at work, and a father who embraced his addiction of gambling and alcohol. It was only a matter of time before Valsche concluded that nothing good could come from relying on others. His apprehensive attitude towards others gradually developed him into a highly cynical individual who believed that opposition existed to be beaten down, and anything was fair game as long as he could get away with it.
Oppose Authority: There are only two types of people in Valsche’s world; people who insist on making his life difficult, and people who couldn’t care less what happened to him. Due to his behaviour and disposition towards others, he has a strong disliking towards authoritarian figures and prevalent views. Being an individual who likes to act first and deal with the consequences later, he’s also averse to intellectual types who he views as smug, manipulative, and dishonest.

Strengths and Skills:
Violence: Confrontational and uncompromising when it comes to his ‘entitlements.’ Violence and aggression have been a constant feature throughout Valsche’s entire life, and while it’s deliver negative implications for his emotional and social growth, his perseverance and competitiveness to triumph have developed him physically as a vicious brawler.
Local Familiarity: Although none one could ever consider Valsche to be street smart, Valsche’s knowledge of the local town and its surrounding areas is incredibly in-depth. With no toys to play with at home, and no friends to meet up with on a regular basis. Valsche naturally spent his earliest years roaming the streets unattended and unrestrained. Even once entering the education system he’d frequently truant school to continue his explorations. From unconventional shortcuts, to vending machines that usually have a bit of change left in them.

Flaws and Weaknesses:
Short Fuse: Quick to judge, and even quicker to act. Valsche has an extremely low tolerance-threshold, and will be quick to express and exhibit his disapproval towards anything that he doesn’t like. In contrast though he’s shown a tendency to be quite involved and indulgent in matters which benefit and/or appeal to him.
Academic Delinquent: Showing next to no commitment when it comes to matters that don’t interest him, he’s a delinquent that seldom turns up for school, and even if he were to improve his attendance his academic grades are unlikely to change… Albeit, he can’t be a complete dunce because academically he’s the second dumbest… meaning there’s a student who’s doing worse than him somewhere in the school.

Why has your character decided to join the ES club?
Valsche’s parents have long since forgone their responsibility of taking care of their son; and as such the responsibility has fallen on the shoulders of the one of the school’s teachers; who had the misfortune of being the half-brother of Valsche’s father. After Valsche was detained by the police for an innumerable number of times, the authorities negotiated and mandated that Valsche was to spend his after-school hours engaged in club activities. But naturally none of the existing clubs were insane enough to take on a club-member who could be detrimental at best.

What social circle is your character in?
Valsche is renown throughout the school as a thuggish brute who should be avoided at all costs. Needlessly confrontational and hostile towards all cliques within the school, he’s quite simply a lone wolf who has no intentions of mingling with the likes of others. While some may attempt to categorize him as a bully, Valsche prides himself on being aggressive and apprehensive towards all students and faculty, regardless of their social standing.

JoanieSappho

At this point, I'm wondering if I should go with my original idea, or make a guy.
(Also, guy-on-guy stuff is so damn rare on here I kinda want to encourage it)

Original Idea

Of course, I could combine the two and throw her in and have her encourage the guys to do stuff with each other while she watches.  :P

Leki

@MelodyCake (and Quozax(?))
Ouch! Hopefully you didn't lose too much money?
Banks are wicked institutions, and should be burned down if they're going to cheat you your money!
(Please don't burn a bank down).

In regards to powers, I wouldn't get too caught up in them.
Having run a roleplay with powers recently (and looking back at my experiences) I'd advise against forcing them in if they aren't compatible with what you have planned. Using Quozax's character as an example, I think Mason being able to see ghosts is a nice touch to the character. But overall I think leaving the power 'unconfirmed' and up to each individual character to create a perception of would be best.

Since we're comparing anime's; I'm thinking something like "Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!" would be the best comparisons.
Psychic Powers

Overall I support anything that adds characters... without adding the increased chance of people stuffing up xD
Being a lover of extreme personalities, I'd be quite disappointed if we got a bunch of nice/friendly/helpful guys, and kind/caring/soft-spoken girls.... cause without exception... they're boring! xD

@Joanie
Fujyoshi~
Though... when you say "Original Idea" did you have something more than just an image? xD

MelodyCake, Quozax and myself are comfortable with MxM from the looks of it, and I'm pretty sure we can count of Avalon to add a fourth xD
Seems like a solid base to work off, though more would definitely be welcome.
MxM isn't impossible to find if you specifically make a roleplay for it...
But I will admit that most male players tend to be averse to their males being anything other than strictly hetero...
What confuses me is when they then go off to chase futa's xD

Drawing another anime parralel, I do think it'd be funny for one of the schools most sought after girls, being extremely into gay/yaoi fiction xD

quozax

If I make a male character, they are always bi.  It's just the way I am, and I'm not afraid on MxM and have considered making some role plays just for that purpose. 

JoanieSappho

I'm not complaining!
Honestly, I'm as tired as you guys seem to be about "LGBT+ = bi girls, straight guys 90% of the time"

As for you, Leki, I kinda only had a vague idea. I've been unconscious a lot the last couple of days, doing that 'sleep' thing that I normally never seem to be able to manage.  :P
So, image and vague ideas, which pretty much were being a major yaoi fangrl, as well as being a proto-crazy cat lady. And yes, she actually does wear the collar and everything. Also, she believes, well, Melody said to keep those things to ourselves. But she can speak to ... certain things. Or at least she believes she can. Not dead people, though.

Leki

@Joanie
She believes she can talk to cats!
And obviously she can... or is learning to.
Cause she can't be a crazy cat lady without believing she can talk to them xD
In either case it sounds like a good base to work off~

Pssst MelodyCake, we should turn this roleplay into a sausagefest before the tits and boobies come swaggling in~
.... What do you mean they're the same thing?

Ehh probably not a good idea to get me started on "LGBT" decorative tags on here xD
Personally I find it off putting that someone would feel compelled or incentivized to tack that on, cause it indicates that it otherwise wouldn't be a given, aka a hetero only roleplay. As far as I'm can tell, the only way to make an LGBT roleplay inclusive roleplay work is to avoid hetero character full stop xD
Inclusion through exclusion! Cause that's how it works, right? xD

quozax

Quote from: Leki on March 15, 2017, 03:39:24 PM
@Joanie
She believes she can talk to cats!
And obviously she can... or is learning to.
Cause she can't be a crazy cat lady without believing she can talk to them xD
In either case it sounds like a good base to work off~

Pssst MelodyCake, we should turn this roleplay into a sausagefest before the tits and boobies come swaggling in~
.... What do you mean they're the same thing?

Ehh probably not a good idea to get me started on "LGBT" decorative tags on here xD
Personally I find it off putting that someone would feel compelled or incentivized to tack that on, cause it indicates that it otherwise wouldn't be a given, aka a hetero only roleplay. As far as I'm can tell, the only way to make an LGBT roleplay inclusive roleplay work is to avoid hetero character full stop xD
Inclusion through exclusion! Cause that's how it works, right? xD

I think some individuals tag the LGBT tag so potential writers know that that those situations may happen.  Some individuals veer away from LGBT situations. 

If I make a game, I don't include the tag, but I am always LGBT friendly. 
I'm an equal opportunity pervert.

Idlewyld

@Joanie - I'm thinking of making a no-nonsense class rep type, but I don't want to step on your toes, so is that the idea behind your original idea?

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Idlewyld on March 15, 2017, 07:41:11 PM
@Joanie - I'm thinking of making a no-nonsense class rep type, but I don't want to step on your toes, so is that the idea behind your original idea?

Oh, no, crazy cat lady is no good for class rep, go for it.

TheLaughingOne

Fekballs. was gonna use a character i had started somewhere else but never got to play.. but you guys already got a delinquent type.. Fuff.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!