Code Function Stretching Page(Glitch? My Error?)

Started by Tolvo, January 01, 2019, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

So I discovered a little oddity. It isn't terribly bothersome but does effect displaying code for people to copy and paste for a character sheet.

This is actually a full character sheet to fill out. But it displays a line at a time. People can select all, or drag through, but I'm not sure what causes this and why it stretches the page.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=298391.msg14601736#msg14601736

Here is the specific post, if it doesn't display that way for others then I'm more confused.

Below I've copy and pasted the exact selection from the page which is being display, which stretches the page still, but in a completely different way and doesn't just display the single line. It isn't a big issue but is confusing to me and I'm not sure what it could do to certain pages.

EDIT: Even weirder, in preview it displays differently. In preview it shows me more lines at a time. But when I actually posted it I could only see the single line at a time problem.

Character Sheet

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

[b]Player Name:[/b] (Your handle, yeah that's right I'm talking to you put that here.)

[b]Character Name:[/b] (Your character's name.)

[b]Age:[/b] (How old your character is. Above 18. If you want to go above 100, well, just run it by me and why. This is for the age at which your character died.)

[b]Archetype:[/b] (This is to get an idea for what sort of character they are. Be as simple or as detailed as desired. This includes narrative archetypes as well as things like classes. So Mentor can be one. Flame Knight can be another.)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Describe your character's body and how they look. You can use a picture if you want but you must be able to describe your character. Please include important aspects that can be used to identify your character and are relevant.)

[b]Species/Race:[/b] (Species options are Human, Idol, Soulborn. Humans are obvious, but they have many variants and mutations you can essentially create a lot of things from fantasy by altering skin color, texture, basic body stuff, with some minor differences. Mutations are pretty common. Idols are beings that are humanoid, often taller and more lithe with the average height being eight feet tall. Idols are often associated with providence and can be called the Providence, they're usually far removed descendants of gods and powerful figures in history. Many also consider them to be cursed in various ways, mutations are rampant among them. Soulborn are like artificial life. They have their own souls, they are not the dead who were brought back but those who were born from the residual souls itself. A Soulborn is born out of lingering soul fragments or a naturally formed one that has found a body to inhabit. Somewhat like a Golem. Their form will be humanoid in shape but can be made out of different material, and may form naturally or be created by those who desire to. Most commonly they are made of bone and are called Graveborn.)

[b]Weight:[/b] (Your character's weight.)

[b]Height:[/b] (Your character's height.)

[b]Attire/Armor/Gear/Worn:[/b] (Describe your character's clothing, think Medieval. This will include whatever is worn such as armor. Tools that are worn, gear, satchels, etc, fall under this as well. If a character is wearing it, it goes here other than things regularly carried in hand.)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (A sword, spear, staff, bow, crossbow, something Medieval if you even want a starting weapon. Shields go here as well. If it is something your character will normally hold in hand in combat it goes here.)

[b]Inventory:[/b] (The things you carry in a sack, pack, satchel, etc.)

[b]Personality:[/b] (What your character is like.)

[b]Dreams:[/b] (What are your characters dreams, the things they want most in life?)

[b]Nightmares:[/b] (What are your characters greatest fears, the things they wish to avoid at all costs?)

[b]History:[/b] (Your character’s history leading up to their death. If you want to have big events in a character's past or make them very important just mention it to me for approval.)

(For this section just be reasonable. As of yet there is no point buy, but try to keep a character within reason. Capable, but not unstoppable and not capable of doing absolutely everything. It's good to have focuses.)
[b]Skills/Knowledge:[/b] (What you're character is good at. What they know how to do and have experience doing, what they have knowledge about.)

[b]Capabilities:[/b] (Sort of something like abilities, feats, things that are superhuman that your character can do that are not magic based.)

[b]Magic:[/b] (Magical abilities, if there are any. The main concepts being of Soul Sorcery, a sort of magic based on using one's own soul. Miracles, based on faith and imagination and reciting events that were miraculous verbally and in detail sharing the story. And Mancies, or, magic based upon natural elements and using one's physical body as a conduit through practice and ritual to preform magic. It's a good idea to focus on one magic school, but have a variety of what you can do in that school. Just float Spells/Miracles/Mancies to me for approval. And keep in mind the more powerful something is the harder it is to do.)

[b]Additional:[/b] (Anything additional you want to add.)

HockeyGod

Hi Tolvo,

In my experience, when you use the "select code" code it eliminates text wrapping.

For example, try adding the "select code" code to your example character and you'll see it does the same formatting...or conversely remove the "select code" code from your character sheet and text will wrap.

HG

Tolvo

I'm not sure what select code is. Is it the Insert Code button? I tried out getting rid of the spoiler wrapping around it so the page doesn't get stretched anymore.

Jag

You need to put some kind of break in your paragraphs if you don't want the code to stretch. It will be as long as your longest paragraph. Your species/race and magic sections are very long. It's all one paragraph without a break. So the code will be one long line, because it's one paragraph.

Example:

[b]Player Name:[/b] (Your handle, yeah that's right I'm talking to you put that here.)

[b]Age:[/b] (How old your character is. Above 18. If you want to go above 100, well, just run it by me and why. This is for the age at which your character died.)

[b]Archetype:[/b] (This is to get an idea for what sort of character they are. Be as simple or as detailed as desired. This includes narrative archetypes as well as things like classes. So Mentor can be one. Flame Knight can be another.)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Describe your character's body and how they look. You can use a picture if you want but you must be able to describe your character. Please include important aspects that can be used to identify your character and are relevant.)

[b]Species/Race:[/b] (Species options are Human, Idol, Soulborn. Humans are obvious, but they have many variants and mutations you can essentially create a lot of things from fantasy by altering skin color, texture, basic body stuff, with some minor differences.
Mutations are pretty common. Idols are beings that are humanoid, often taller and more lithe with the average height being eight feet tall.
Idols are often associated with providence and can be called the Providence, they're usually far removed descendants of gods and powerful figures in history. Many also consider them to be cursed in various ways, mutations are rampant among them.
Soulborn are like artificial life. They have their own souls, they are not the dead who were brought back but those who were born from the residual souls itself.
A Soulborn is born out of lingering soul fragments or a naturally formed one that has found a body to inhabit. Somewhat like a Golem. Their form will be humanoid in shape but can be made out of different material, and may form naturally or be created by those who desire to. Most commonly they are made of bone and are called Graveborn.)

[b]Attire/Armor/Gear/Worn:[/b] (Describe your character's clothing, think Medieval. This will include whatever is worn such as armor. Tools that are worn, gear, satchels, etc, fall under this as well. If a character is wearing it, it goes here other than things regularly carried in hand.)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (A sword, spear, staff, bow, crossbow, something Medieval if you even want a starting weapon. Shields go here as well. If it is something your character will normally hold in hand in combat it goes here.)

[b]Dreams:[/b] (What are your characters dreams, the things they want most in life?)

[b]Nightmares:[/b] (What are your characters greatest fears, the things they wish to avoid at all costs?)

[b]History:[/b] (Your character’s history leading up to their death. If you want to have big events in a character's past or make them very important just mention it to me for approval.)

(For this section just be reasonable. As of yet there is no point buy, but try to keep a character within reason. Capable, but not unstoppable and not capable of doing absolutely everything. It's good to have focuses.)
[b]Skills/Knowledge:[/b] (What you're character is good at. What they know how to do and have experience doing, what they have knowledge about.)

[b]Capabilities:[/b] (Sort of something like abilities, feats, things that are superhuman that your character can do that are not magic based.)

[b]Magic:[/b] (Magical abilities, if there are any. The main concepts being of Soul Sorcery, a sort of magic based on using one's own soul. Miracles, based on faith and imagination and reciting events that were miraculous verbally and in detail sharing the story.
And Mancies, or, magic based upon natural elements and using one's physical body as a conduit through practice and ritual to preform magic.
It's a good idea to focus on one magic school, but have a variety of what you can do in that school. Just float Spells/Miracles/Mancies to me for approval. And keep in mind the more powerful something is the harder it is to do.)

It's still stretched, because I left a few long lines, but notice it's not stretched near as much. If these are things people are going to wipe out in order to put their answers, then it doesn't hurt to throw a few breaks in the paragraph in there to keep the box from stretching, in my opinion.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Tolvo

Ah alright. I wonder what it is about display code that causes the stretching when paragraphs without breaks don't normally cause that on the forum and automatically go to the next line based on the users display and resolution.

Avis habilis

If I remember right, anything between [ code ] tags has all its spaces replaced with non-breaking spaces. There was a reason for that but damned if I know what it was now.

Tolvo

Ah, I'm sure the reason then but this all does make sense in the end then. At least the How end of things. Thank you all for replying and explaining.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Tolvo on January 01, 2019, 11:05:40 PM
I'm not sure what select code is. Is it the Insert Code button? I tried out getting rid of the spoiler wrapping around it so the page doesn't get stretched anymore.

[ code ] [ /code] ="select code"

For some reason removes text wrapping. I think it has to do with the fact that the text between [ code ] and [ /code ] needs to have the formatting removed for it to work. Jag gave an option of how to counteract this, but know that in this option when people select this code and transfer it over the breaks will be there. They are likely going to be deleting this text so that is probably okay.

Blythe

I wanted to mention that if you need a way for people to be able to copypaste something & you want to avoid that text-wrapping problem, you can use the nobbc tags instead. That being said, while you don't get the text wrapping concern, this one plays somewhat less nicely about being put in spoiler tags, sadly. Not a perfect solution by any means but I thought I would mention it, as some might find this useful. ^^

Example using what was provided in your code box in the 1st post (you can quote my post to see how I used the nobbc tags. Ignore the hr one, that's just for a nice line break)...

[b]Species/Race:[/b] (Species options are Human, Idol, Soulborn. Humans are obvious, but they have many variants and mutations you can essentially create a lot of things from fantasy by altering skin color, texture, basic body stuff, with some minor differences. Mutations are pretty common. Idols are beings that are humanoid, often taller and more lithe with the average height being eight feet tall. Idols are often associated with providence and can be called the Providence, they're usually far removed descendants of gods and powerful figures in history. Many also consider them to be cursed in various ways, mutations are rampant among them. Soulborn are like artificial life. They have their own souls, they are not the dead who were brought back but those who were born from the residual souls itself. A Soulborn is born out of lingering soul fragments or a naturally formed one that has found a body to inhabit. Somewhat like a Golem. Their form will be humanoid in shape but can be made out of different material, and may form naturally or be created by those who desire to. Most commonly they are made of bone and are called Graveborn.)

[b]Magic:[/b] (Magical abilities, if there are any. The main concepts being of Soul Sorcery, a sort of magic based on using one's own soul. Miracles, based on faith and imagination and reciting events that were miraculous verbally and in detail sharing the story. And Mancies, or, magic based upon natural elements and using one's physical body as a conduit through practice and ritual to preform magic. It's a good idea to focus on one magic school, but have a variety of what you can do in that school. Just float Spells/Miracles/Mancies to me for approval. And keep in mind the more powerful something is the harder it is to do.)

Tolvo

Ah I had no idea about the nobbc option. Thank you all for all the information! I've used bbc for a long time but there's always more to learn it seems.