News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Hmm, Chaos Dragon anime seems interesting enough, at least first episode so far.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

NicciKotor

Anyone got anime figures? I got a few...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Zeth

No, sadly I can't afford anything cool like that.

Cayenne

Not a big fan of stuff! So no, though I do have a anime related stuffy that was given to me in school.  Also, have a number of posters and whatnot, all very very old~
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

Yukina

Quote from: NicciKotor on July 14, 2015, 10:16:02 PM
Anyone got anime figures? I got a few...

Unable to get pics of the moment, but I have: Yozara Mikazuki (School Uniform), Rei Ayanami (Plugsuit), Mikuru Asahina (Episode 0 outfit), Tsukasa Hiragi (Witch costume), Homura Akemi (Rebellion Ver.), and Madoka Kaname (Rebellion Ver.). If counting model kits, there's also my massive hoard of gunpla.

Yukina

Sorry for the double post, but is anyone else excited for the upcoming Gundam series in October? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--SbNecHQI

Drake Valentine

Quote from: Yugishogun on July 15, 2015, 06:12:44 PM
Sorry for the double post, but is anyone else excited for the upcoming Gundam series in October? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y--SbNecHQI

Nope. I stop caring for Gundam after they reused their art too much for mains and protagonists in series.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

NicciKotor

Here is some more of my small collection:

I need more bunny girls.

Cayenne

Ooh.. Killa La Kill and Gurren Laggen! Both figures I sorta wanted despite my aversion to stuff..~

Quote from: NicciKotor on July 15, 2015, 10:16:44 PM
Here is some more of my small collection:

I need more bunny girls.
"My mind is not in the gutter, I just happen to have a really good view of it from my high horse"

ONs & OFF

NicciKotor

Yeah that Ryuko figure is at least 100 dollars but still worth it.  Perfect pose and paint job.  It also comes with the standard scissor blade.

Yukina

Also forgot I had a Miyuki Takara (Playboy bunny) figure. Tried taking pics today, but my laptop camera sucks.

Lynnette

I've never been too big on figurines and stuff, but I have a fair collection of manga and DVDs/blue-rays. As far as I know, I possess roughly... 300 volumes of manga? I dunno, I haven't counted over it for a while. Aside from that, I have at least 100 DVDs/blue ray box-sets, probably approaching 200, the crown of the shelf being my import-sets of Fate/Zero and Gurren Lagann, all three sets being well into triple digits in USD when I bought them, but it was well worth it.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Cayenne

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on July 16, 2015, 12:49:51 PM
I've never been too big on figurines and stuff, but I have a fair collection of manga and DVDs/blue-rays. As far as I know, I possess roughly... 300 volumes of manga? I dunno, I haven't counted over it for a while. Aside from that, I have at least 100 DVDs/blue ray box-sets, probably approaching 200, the crown of the shelf being my import-sets of Fate/Zero and Gurren Lagann, all three sets being well into triple digits in USD when I bought them, but it was well worth it.

I think I've only bought Planetes DVD set, aside from that I have a Crunchyroll subscription that keeps me busy.   I inherited a bunch of manga from my sister, but haven't really spent any money on my own as of yet.   I always found it hard to buy comics/manga as you blow through them so quickly, and I'm not a person who generally goes back to re-read things.  Though, my Crunchy subscription now gives me access to Manga, Anime and Drama for one price - so I was checking out stuff from there!

In the end, I always found anime to be way over-priced when I was in my collecting phase, and as cool as figurines are (Especially Ryuuko) I just don't have much place for it in my particular life. I wish I did though!

ONs & OFF

yugi006

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on July 16, 2015, 12:49:51 PM

That is Aniplex for you. They always sell there stuff super expensive but people buy them which is why they can continue to do it. Other companies sell there DVDs and Blu-Rays cheaper.

Quote from: Cayenne on July 16, 2015, 07:29:57 PM
In the end, I always found anime to be way over-priced when I was in my collecting phase, and as cool as figurines are (Especially Ryuuko) I just don't have much place for it in my particular life. I wish I did though!

It can be expensive when you start from the beginning when they come out. Don't know if they still release volumes like that or they wait till the whole series is released then sell it as a set. I used to do that for a few anime and it ended up being more expensive than it was as a whole set.

AEvum

Holy crap, FLCL is one of the best things I've ever seen. I can't understand hardly any of it but it's incredibly entertaining. My friend let me borrow his bluray of it and I've watched it twice so far, still trying to process what's even happening. It's very different from what I normally watch but in a good way.

Watching the blurays of the Neon Genesis Evangelion rebuilds/remakes is great too. The Ramiel fight in particular is stunning in HD, especially in contrast to the original anime. Only complaint is that the subtitles are difficult to read. Watching this makes me wonder why the hell Disney and such waste their time with terrible looking 3d movies when they could go back to the 2d stuff and make something really amazing.

Yukina

Quote from: sicko on July 20, 2015, 05:06:45 PM
Holy crap, FLCL is one of the best things I've ever seen. I can't understand hardly any of it but it's incredibly entertaining. My friend let me borrow his bluray of it and I've watched it twice so far, still trying to process what's even happening. It's very different from what I normally watch but in a good way.

Watching the blurays of the Neon Genesis Evangelion rebuilds/remakes is great too. The Ramiel fight in particular is stunning in HD, especially in contrast to the original anime. Only complaint is that the subtitles are difficult to read. Watching this makes me wonder why the hell Disney and such waste their time with terrible looking 3d movies when they could go back to the 2d stuff and make something really amazing.

*high fives*

NicciKotor

I blame evangelion for the slow demise of anime.  Since it promoted the wimpy emo male character that is dumbing down today's anime. Getting sick and tired of that and makes some animes unwatchable.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: NicciKotor on July 20, 2015, 09:25:55 PM
I blame evangelion for the slow demise of anime.  Since it promoted the wimpy emo male character that is dumbing down today's anime. Getting sick and tired of that and makes some animes unwatchable.

*Nods sagely* I geek out hard now whenever I find a character who breaks out fo that trope (Like the main character from "All you need is kill" who starts out all wimpy but grows balls big enough to give Duke Nukem a run for his money  8-) )

Or characters who are courageous from the get go.

Even some of them I will give a break for being emotional if they have a good reason for it.

AEvum

Quote from: NicciKotor on July 20, 2015, 09:25:55 PM
If Evangelion didn't happen modern anime would be quite different in both positive and negative ways. I agree with your complaint though; while it worked for NGE it's a trope that really should die.

Tuxedocat

Quote from: sicko on July 21, 2015, 12:58:59 AM
If Evangelion didn't happen modern anime would be quite different in both positive and negative ways. I agree with your complaint though; while it worked for NGE it's a trope that really should die.

Problem is that when something becomes innovative or foundational in its field, it becomes difficult to get out from under its shadow for a few reasons:
(1) people see how successful it is and want to try to repeat that so they try to iterate on that,
(2) when you see something you like and get inspired by it, you tend to bring at least some of the baggage it carries with it,
(3) it might just exert that prominent a place on the field's 'psyche,' as such -- how do you get away from something that many feel is defining?

You have to create something different that has the same or more impact on people. And if you go in trying to do that you are probably going to fail unless you are some kind of a genius. And not even a genius is guaranteed to succeed.

I agree that it gets bothersome to only have a small number of tools or techniques available to tell a story, but until someone comes out with something that can supersede it we are probably stuck with it. Also, considering these things are made for Japanese audiences and they might have more awareness of international markets than they did before, they are still intended for Japanese consumption. Maybe this is what works for those markets.

Or maybe it's what people who fund these shows think will make money -- isn't that the reason why we have some creative inertia out of Hollywood (despite Americans frequently clamoring for more options)?

I do think it works at times for some characters, but there are definitely cases where it is egregious. These stand out when you have shows that fans frequently label as "train wrecks," because, in part, the poor implementation makes the show a failure at what it's trying to do.

I think the genre that I have most frequently found the weak MC most bothersome in is harems. Perhaps because harems provide cheap and easy drama on some level, they have become popular story devices. And I frequently find myself bothered by them when I see an MC and I know he hasn't earned the attention of multiple girls, let alone one of them.
Check out my preferences as of 23 Jul. 2015.

AEvum

I don't like harem anime myself and for the most part can't stand them. That said I think you're misunderstanding the purpose and appeal of them.

I believe that harem anime is meant to have a rather generic and weak MC so he does not end up dominating the story. The purpose seems to be more of a self insert for the viewer than a real character. Since most viewers of harem anime are most likely social outcasts this may be why they lean towards weak MCs. These people tend to hold some disdain for the manlier and more successful men as a result of being unsuccessful and weak themselves. In other words I think harem anime are more meant to appeal to lonely otakus than anyone else. This most certainly does not represent all harem anime fans and as I said I don't watch them so I could be completely wrong but that's my take on the harem genre.

I really hope Vinland Saga gets an anime adaptation. Most anime/manga seem to center on a teenage boy who's either weak, angry, or both. Vinland Saga starts this way but the MC grows past that phase and it's one of the few that actually does the angry teenage MC well. The MC overtime becomes a cool headed man which is much more original. I think a Vinland Saga anime could actually change this trope a bit by encouraging more mature MCs.

Tuxedocat

Quote from: sicko on July 21, 2015, 01:47:42 AM
I don't like harem anime myself and for the most part can't stand them. That said I think you're misunderstanding the purpose and appeal of them.

I believe that harem anime is meant to have a rather generic and weak MC so he does not end up dominating the story. The purpose seems to be more of a self insert for the viewer than a real character. Since most viewers of harem anime are most likely social outcasts this may be why they lean towards weak MCs. These people tend to hold some disdain for the manlier and more successful men as a result of being unsuccessful and weak themselves. In other words I think harem anime are more meant to appeal to lonely otakus than anyone else. This most certainly does not represent all harem anime fans and as I said I don't watch them so I could be completely wrong but that's my take on the harem genre.

I really hope Vinland Saga gets an anime adaptation. Most anime/manga seem to center on a teenage boy who's either weak, angry, or both. Vinland Saga starts this way but the MC grows past that phase and it's one of the few that actually does the angry teenage MC well. The MC overtime becomes a cool headed man which is much more original. I think a Vinland Saga anime could actually change this trope a bit by encouraging more mature MCs.

I think what you said here is probably accurate but it doesn't change the fact that I still find weak/cowardly/pathetic MCs to drag stories down when they don't change. Zero-to-hero is a story that still creates impact for a lot of people. I wish, if they were going to make pathetic characters so common that they showed them changing and becoming stronger. I mean, a lot of these stories are shounen origin so they have the tropes right there waiting. The characters can get emotional power-ups, through the Power of Friendship or through Rivals Bettering Each Other, or whatever. I remember so many people I saw online bagging on the MC in Accel World at the beginning for being weak, and fat to boot (this is probably another end of the otaku stereotype), but I felt like as the story went on he was changing.

I'm not opposed to a character beginning as weak or pathetic, provided they grow into something more well-rounded. I think maybe that is what bothers me. Arguably, the majority of anime genres play into their own conventions and don't strive for deeper nuance, much in the way you suggest harems are only about self-insertion and some kind of fantasy or wish fulfillment. I don't think anime needs to be high art/literature, but I would like to see more risks taken or more bending tropes around and such.

I mean, I like fantasy as a genre fairly well, depending on the medium. But how many more times do we need a generic fantasy anime (and it seems the majority of them coming out these days are harems, whether they are good or not, which is one factor I was alluding to in how it gets harder to avoid harems)? I was intrigued by World Break because it was the first show I'd seen that used reincarnation the way it did, but it dwelt too much on some of the aspects of anime that I think drag the medium down. Reincarnation was introduced and hardly used, even though there was a good opportunity to use it for character development. Arguably the MC in that story isn't weak, but it's hard for him to be since he's an OP dude.

In fact, that seems to be the way it goes. You have either an OP or a weak dude when you have dude MCs, and sometimes you find someone who is in between but they don't always stand out so well because you are inundated with one or the other extreme.
Check out my preferences as of 23 Jul. 2015.

Cayenne

Generally, harem anime is just a vehicle for fanservice. 

That is, for the most of shows the extent of it.  The attempt to gather as many otaku and their personal fetishes under one roof, and keep them watching until the very end.   The avatar of this easily solved with polygamy fantasy attracts one of each type of anime stereotype and is forced to make the hard decision between them. Of course, acting in his favour, their investment in the main character has been dialed up to 11.

(If you are a childhood friend of whom is relatively average, you might want to start your grief counselling straight away,  as in the face of shame ignorant magical/alien/robot/fantasy girl you are statistically bankrupt).

Alternatively, the main character does not have to be personally invested, or in anyway reciprocate their feelings to keep them interested until the final choice is made.  So in, there is no particular fear of making the wrong choice, as even after picking someone, you can change your mind in some cases and a short talk will completely smooth things over for your happily ever-after.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette are kind of "reality" TV Americanized versions of this (Which, honestly end up being just as shallow, and pointless, though for sometimes very different reasons)

ONs & OFF

Lynnette

There's some harsh comments towards the harem genre here. While I generally don't favor it all that much either, it's unfair to lash at it so much. Just because one does it doesn't mean everyone does. While a large portion of the harem anime to come out are based around sexual undertones with little else going for it, there are several very good exceptions to this. To name a few, you have stuff like Clannad and Haganai. Neither can be considered very sexualized shows, which for some reason removes their Harem-tag as well, despite both the shows quite obviously being harems.

Another thing to note is that a lot of harem-adaptations come from Visual Novels. VNs are tricky to adapt since they have several character routes, and to avoid disappointing people, a general approach is most common, trying to give at least the more popular routes a fair bit of screen-time and cutting out bits and pieces from the routes to make it, what should I say, pleasing. This also kind of justifies the bland main characters, seeing that it's very much so the norm for VNs since it's meant to be a self-insert type ordeal.

Of course, not every harem anime produced can be protected by such, you have stuff like HotD which was a manga, and Highschool DxD which as far as I'm aware was a light novel, again just to name a few.

Overall though, all I can say is that it's just a genre for those who are interested in what it has to offer. Whipping at it is just stupid. It's a genre just like everything else, to put those who like it in a shamed position is really unnecessary. It's a genre just like all other genres. I don't like shoujo anime, but I don't go around shaming it for that reason. You kind of just have to accept that some people like what it has to offer and move on.
I'm available on Discord!
Feel free to message me if you want to chat
Lynnpai#4726

My O/O     My guide to set up a home server and Plex
My request thread

Cayenne

Quote from: ReaperDouble0 on July 21, 2015, 08:50:24 AM
There's some harsh comments towards the harem genre here. While I generally don't favor it all that much either, it's unfair to lash at it so much. Just because one does it doesn't mean everyone does. While a large portion of the harem anime to come out are based around sexual undertones with little else going for it, there are several very good exceptions to this. To name a few, you have stuff like Clannad and Haganai. Neither can be considered very sexualized shows, which for some reason removes their Harem-tag as well, despite both the shows quite obviously being harems.

Another thing to note is that a lot of harem-adaptations come from Visual Novels. VNs are tricky to adapt since they have several character routes, and to avoid disappointing people, a general approach is most common, trying to give at least the more popular routes a fair bit of screen-time and cutting out bits and pieces from the routes to make it, what should I say, pleasing. This also kind of justifies the bland main characters, seeing that it's very much so the norm for VNs since it's meant to be a self-insert type ordeal.

Of course, not every harem anime produced can be protected by such, you have stuff like HotD which was a manga, and Highschool DxD which as far as I'm aware was a light novel, again just to name a few.

Overall though, all I can say is that it's just a genre for those who are interested in what it has to offer. Whipping at it is just stupid. It's a genre just like everything else, to put those who like it in a shamed position is really unnecessary. It's a genre just like all other genres. I don't like shoujo anime, but I don't go around shaming it for that reason. You kind of just have to accept that some people like what it has to offer and move on.

I'm not prejudice against harems! Some of my favourite animes include harem in their tags! Honest!

Anime as a whole has a lot of issues, and the lower viewership, and shrinking budgets aren't exactly helping matters. That said, in this increasingly fanservice generation I have a TOTALLY FREE COMPANY SAVING IDEA for a studio.

You see, the story follows a girl of whom, fell in love with a guy who loved someone else, so in, she dies a tragic death and is reborn as the talking vagina of her rival.  Boom.

ONs & OFF