Temporarily restricting new memberships?

Started by Vekseid, May 08, 2008, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

I'm going to be an ass here and give another idea about new members...

How about a voting system?  If you converse with them in their intros, then vote on their acceptance into Elliquiy.  Surely something like that could be added...why not make it more of an entire community decision instead of the Sirens and Vekseid? (ugh I know I'm going to get heat for that one) Of course the Sirens and Vekseid have final say..

It -is- the community into which they will need to fit...

Sherona

The only issue that I can forsee with that Idea GT is that the length for approval might be extende to allow most of the active members a chance to vote. I think the reasons Sirens and Veks take care of the approval process is because its more easy to get a group of say 4 or 5 togehter to discuss the questions and the thread, rather then a group of say 30-50.

Though I do believe that if anyone has problems or kudos in particular with one intro thread or wht not they can go to sirens or veks.

Though you are right, it is the community in large who tehy will have to mesh with :)

Cherri Tart

i have often, when i'm really sure of a member being a good fit, made a point to say that in the intro itself, or if i've had contact with them in, say Chat room, or such and i know they'd do well here. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Greenthorn

Well as with all votes, there should be a time limit..and majority rules.  Of course if the vote turns towards no approving someone, then a good look into why should be done by the Sirens and Vek...and if ll of us say yay let em in but the Sirens are saying hmmm there's something amiss..then yeah those members need a more thorough phase of questioning.

I could really go on and on about this idea..but..knowing how I cannot gather my thoughts correctly and tend to just type a jumble of things..I'll stop *laughs*

Sherona

The idea really has merit, and really just kind of puts some organization to the way things are currently already. From what I can see.

Moondazed

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate... this forum is a kind of community, but in the end there has to be a 'core' of people who hold the purpose and intent sacred, so to speak.  I think that the approval system the way it is works, as long as it's clear to current members that they can PM the sirens and/or Vek regarding endorsements/concerns for individual new members.

More of my pocket change...
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Vekseid

Voting... I'm rather eh on that. While most people here are open and loving, that really is a way to castes/classes forming and I don't like the possibility, especially considering, with Elliquiy's complexity, a buddy/mentor system seems like it's so badly needed anyway.

HairyHeretic

If you need another mentor type, I'd be happy to volunteer.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Storiwyr

As one of the newest members of the site, I definitely have something to say on this topic.

I definitely would have no problem with the standards becoming more choosy when it comes to how people present themselves in their introductions. The rules make it clear that acceptance to Elli is not a gimme, and that answers need to be detailed enough that it's possible to get a good feeling for the person behind the new name. I don't really feel that this is being elitist, for those who have that worry. It's clearly stated in the rules, and as far as I'm aware, there's no magic word or tricky ritual involved in being accepted. One of the things that the site seems to be looking for--and to have found in its older members--are people who are capable of interacting well with others.

Attention to detail is a big part of writing well, whether you post a novel or a sentence. People who post intros with short, unedited one word answers to questions are not paying the attention they should. It's not elitist to expect someone to show that they are truly interested in a community like the one at Elli. In fact, I see it as disrespectful and lazy if people post an Intro thread that makes it clear that they either didn't bother reading the rules, or else they just didn't care enough to put effort into it.

Even the silly questions asked on the Intros by members ... "Leather or silk?" ... you can put more than one word into an answer for that. There's always elaboration to be done. Laziness at a juncture where you are attempting to make a first impression is not a good sign. Just think how lazy someone may get once they don't feel like they're trying to get 'accepted' anymore.

There's no need to feel bad about rejecting people who do not seem to care enough to put the effort into their intro to show that they are serious about their application here. There's no reason not to make people wait a week or so while decisions are made, if necessary. If the person is really, truly interested in a way that will further the community, they'll wait. It's not like the people who Intro themselves sloppily are going to be cut down and never RP again. Lazy, haphazard, quick-fix sex RP sites are a dime a dozen ... if rejected from here, they'll shrug and go elsewhere to find what they're looking for--and probably like it better that way anyway. From what I've seen in my short stay here, Elli is a gem. There's nothing wrong with keeping things selective for people who will keep it that way.

As for a mentor program, I don't think it would be remiss. I got myself into RPs fast and am very much enjoying myself, but I'm NOT sure where exactly to start when it comes to integrating myself into the community and getting to know people. I DO tend to be shy, even if my longwindedness seems to belie that statement. While people have been extremely kind to me, and I haven't felt rejected in the least by anyone, I'd certainly not say no to being 'shown the ropes' when it comes to the non-roleplaying, more social part of the site especially.
Lords, get to know me before you snuggle all over me. Sorry, but I get a little anxious! Ladies and Lieges, cuddles are always welcome, read my O/O for more detailed info.
"There's no need to argue anymore. I gave all I could, but it left me so sore. And the thing that makes me mad, is the one thing that I had. I knew, I knew, I'd lose you."

Moondazed

Quote from: Storiwyr on May 09, 2008, 07:12:04 PMFrom what I've seen in my short stay here, Elli is a gem. There's nothing wrong with keeping things selective for people who will keep it that way.

Amen, sister! *giggle*
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Vekseid

Alright, everyone interested in being a mentor type please pm me.

Xillen

The "Mentor" thing sounds quite useful. I've talked to quite a few newbies over IRC, giving them pointers on what to do where, etc... since most seem to be quite lost. I already noticed others taking up Mentorlike actions as well, like Cherri and Elvi, who post in a lot of intro threads to offer help. Getting a bit more structure in it does sound useful. I'd offer my services if I wasn't a bit inconsistent with availability.

A basic "Ok, you got approved, now what?" guide would come in handy for people to link to, of course being available to answer the questions that might raise with people.

Would the Mentorship basically mean being open for questions, and checking to see if everything goes ok, if you don't see much happening, or are there other things you assume the Mentors be checking out as well?

Captain Maltese

Xillen, much have happened around the Mentor issue the last month. The short version of status is that there is a Mentor corps, but they don't carry badges any more. Check out the middle column for more info.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Xillen

Ah thanks. :)

Yeah, I really need to check up on a lot of stuff... :/