<Interest Check> Amber (DRPG system game, small group)

Started by Cassandra LeMay, November 04, 2014, 08:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra LeMay

As the first character sheets are coming in I am a little bit under the impression that people who want to take some special abilities are worried about their attributes being too low because they don't have all that many points left to buy them up. Thought it might be best to put a few thoughts on that here, for all to read:

First of all, "just" having an Amber rank in an attribute will put you very close to the top of the food chain. Yes, most elder Amberites will outrank you, but you will still be way ahead of most things you might encounter in shadow.

Second, if someone you are facing in a fight (be it a duel of Psyche, Strength, or Warfare) has more points than you, that doesn't mean an automatic win for the opposition. No one of you will ever beat Fiona in a Psyche duel, Benedict in a Warfare contest, or Gerard in a feat of strength for sure. But when it comes to others you might actually win, even if your score is at least halfway close to the opponent. The numbers are one thing, but the way you fight is just as important. Use the terrain, kick sand in your enemy's face, wear someone out by fighting defensively if you know you have the greater Endurance. If your stats are not all that high you can still come out on top if you play your cards right.

In this game low stats won't kill you. The storyline won't kill you. What can actually kill you is not playing smart.

So don't sweat it too much. High stats are definitely good, but they are not the be-all, end-all of a character. As the song goes: It's in the way that you use it.  ;)

Hope that helps you folks a little to make up your minds.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Bibliophilia

I would love to be involved in this if there is still a slot open.[/color=indigo]

Cassandra LeMay

Absolutely.

So far we have three players and I think this game can take one more.  :-) I wanted to go with a small group, but I am not turning anyone down who is excited about this game. (EDIT: And that was me shooting my big mouth off before I realized that interest in this game would suddenly pick up. My bad.  :-()

If you have the rulebook, just spend your 100 points. If not - or if you have any questions - just PM me.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Bibliophilia

Rook Seidhr

Few questions.
  • Is there still room?
  • What's the expected pace of posting?
  • What's the expected post length?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Riveda on November 16, 2014, 03:18:42 AM
Few questions.
  • Is there still room?
  • What's the expected pace of posting?
  • What's the expected post length?
Now that Bibliophilia has joined the group I am afraid we have all the players / characters I think I might be able to handle.  :-( I hate to turn anyone down, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. If I did, it would probably end up in disappointment all around.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Empyrean

Heya. Just seeing how things are coming along with this game. :)

Cassandra LeMay

We are still waiting for one character to get finished and approved, but I was about to make an OOC thread, and we can take it from there. Once the OOC thread is in place I'll post a link here (and PM it to everyone). Then it's just a matter of figuring out who is where and whom your character might be interacting with initially. It'll take a bit to get all characters together in the same place anyway, so we might as well start this "piece meal".

EDIT: Here's the link to the OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=218027

(Sonia Sotomayor)