Opinions on the Iron Kingdoms rpg?

Started by Frelance, September 24, 2012, 04:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frelance

I just picked up the core rules book for Privateers Press Iron Kingdom and so far I am loving it. So I am interested to see what opinion's people have about the game/setting. So feel free to throw in your two cents.
Evolution is an arms race

Callie Del Noire

It was fun in 3.5, and I was always wanting to do the Witchfire series.. excellent series of modules in my opinion.

Chris Brady

I own them, the original three Witchfire, and to me 3.5 was a horrible mix.  I loved the setting, though, still do to be honest.  I'll have to wait a bit to save up the pennies, but I plan on getting the core book soon.

From what I understand, it's a stripped down version of their Mini's rules, with more fluff attached, to give background.  Not to mention a balancing of Warcasters, making them playable without overpowering non-Warcaster players.  Also, again, from what I heard, it uses a similar system to the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game's Career system, in which you start with one or two and take things from each, and over your adventuring career (no pun intended...) can pick up more.

All in all, sounds cool, and it's on my Too Buy Now list.  I just CAN'T buy now.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

When I read the title, there was a brief moment in which I thought the title was the full name of the game, in part because I misread it as "Opinions of the Iron Kingdom." For that one shining moment I thought it might have been a game about medieval politics, something like a tabletop version of Crusader Kings.

Then I read it again and those fragile dreams were shattered. v.v
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Frelance

Quote from: Shjade on September 25, 2012, 02:01:09 AM
When I read the title, there was a brief moment in which I thought the title was the full name of the game, in part because I misread it as "Opinions of the Iron Kingdom." For that one shining moment I thought it might have been a game about medieval politics, something like a tabletop version of Crusader Kings.

Then I read it again and those fragile dreams were shattered. v.v

Well I am sorry to have crushed your hopes although ya a game like that would be really cool. I played the second game a few times but I have never had the patience for it but I do think that having a table top version of it would be great.
Evolution is an arms race

Vanity Evolved

It's... okay. I dunno much about the actual setting or the Warmahordes games, but the artwork and some of the ideas are damn beautiful. Mechanics-wise, I wasn't hugely impressed; it felt like they'd taken Warmachine and just slapped on Savage World's advancement system, hugely limited it and then kept it set up so you can play Warmachine with it. Magic seemed especially powerful, as did being a Warcaster. It felt like I was reading D&D 4e, with a lot of the balance removed and even less rules for anything outside minitures combat. Still, I'd love to give it a go someday. I can hardly turn down a chance to play a Gun Mage or a Stormknight. ;D

Skynet

I don't really have much experience with the new RPG, but from what I hear it sounds like a cross between wargame and tabletop RPG.  Very heavy on the combat rules, light on the other stuff.

I was a fan of the D&D version of Iron Kingdoms, especially due to its unorthodox take on the traditional fantasy and its legendary Monsternomicon books.  As I read more of it, it felt like a less natural fit for the current system.  D&D was too high magic, too over the top for the setting presented in the World Guide.  This was quite prominent in the Witchfire adventures, where the designers were straddling a careful line between Swords & Sorcery and the Steampunk genre in regards to the availability of guns.  Eventually they just flooded the setting with guns and now every infantryman has one these days.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get the book anytime soon.

Chris Brady

The guns were always there, Skynet.  Every NPC had access to one in the Trilogy.  Not to mention that if you read the entries in the Monstronomicon (Which I'm pretty sure I misspelled that) you had monsters and references to NPCs who specialized with guns.

The D20 version was, frankly, a bad fit for it.  (I believed the same for Eberron, and I LOVED the D20 version of it, prefer it for fluff, but 4e is better for Eberron in terms of pulpiness.)  As I don't have a copy of this book, though, I can't say anything about the system, other than what a friend told me about it.  And it's intriguing me.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

AllieCat

My SO picked it up, and I haven't had a chance to read through it yet *pouts*

gamergirl4life

I picked it up and definately like it, I have heard the complaints about it being too combat focused.  Mechanically it does dwell a bit on the combat side of things, but skills cover both combat an non-combat.

Most of the non-combat stuff is in the skill list though I am looking forward to the other books that seem to have a lot of opportunity to flesh things out.

I have had fun playing with character creation, but haven't actually had a chance to play/run a game yet.