News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Video Game Nostolgia

Started by LunarSage, September 11, 2012, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koren

Quote from: Saerra on September 16, 2012, 08:03:32 PM
Boulder Dash on the Atari 800XL. Makes me kinda sad, now, because my father decided to throw away the Atari instead of giving it to me. *siiighs*
I played other games back then, too, but Boulder Dash will always be my favourite old game.

Boulder Dash. Oh wow, thats actually a game that I played. Dont remember where or when but i played it. Awesome game, definitely.

Saerrael

Quote from: Kora on September 16, 2012, 08:21:12 PM

Boulder Dash. Oh wow, thats actually a game that I played. Dont remember where or when but i played it. Awesome game, definitely.

In the 80s ('83 or '84), on Atari computers, was the first possible option. I think they came on floppy, firstly, then, later, on cartridges.

Zorak

Oniya

Quote from: Zorak on September 16, 2012, 09:41:18 PM
Battle Chess :)

Half the people I knew played to watch the Queen move.  The other half played to watch the Queen get captured.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Koren

Quote from: Saerra on September 16, 2012, 08:24:29 PM
In the 80s ('83 or '84), on Atari computers, was the first possible option. I think they came on floppy, firstly, then, later, on cartridges.
Haha, I'm unfortunetly not that old. I'm a 90's child myself. I'm sure maybe my uncle had a copy of it or something else at the time

Saerrael

Quote from: Kora on September 16, 2012, 11:09:57 PM
Haha, I'm unfortunetly not that old. I'm a 90's child myself. I'm sure maybe my uncle had a copy of it or something else at the time

Kinda hard to guess when your age isn't on your profile *grins*

Koren

Quote from: Saerra on September 16, 2012, 11:13:59 PM
Kinda hard to guess when your age isn't on your profile *grins*

Hahaha, yeah fair point. I just dont see a point in displaying it really.

Another game I remember from the older days that I played  a little while after it came out was Bomberman. Not sure which one but the one I played have 10 player multiplayer which was just incredibly stupid amounts of fun :D

Oneiros

My spouse just upgraded his phone, and gave me the Xperia Play he already had, which I had been coveting for emulators. I've spent the whole time since he gave it to me playing Mario RPG.

There's a game I can't remember the title to that's driving me nuts. Does anyone recognize the game? It was a PC game, came on a ridiculous number of floppies (I think like 6), back in the days when instead of DRM, when we started the game it would ask us for a random word on a random page in the manual to make sure we'd bought the game.

The basic plot was a person inherits a mansion, I think from an uncle, and it turns out to be evil and full of demons. Now the basic beginning of the plot is reminding me of Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. Anyway. It was in first person view, and I recall there was a part further on in the game where you get into a portal in the basement and you're attacked by Mind Flayers.

I've been trying to call the name of this game forever.

ANYHOO. We were a Nintendo family. Got the NES back when they were still being sold, and the SNES a few years later. When my brother and I got older, we got pretty into collecting video games for a while, but sadly, most of it ended up sold off because life doesn't like us to have a video game collection. I kept some of the rarer/better stuff, though.

Teo Torriatte

I played Boulderdash on my good ol' Commie 64. Gawd I loved that system.

And I played the dog**** out of Mario RPG as well. That was such a cool idea, to incorporate Super Mario gameplay elements into an RPG.

I've got a few more, both with a climbing motif...

Anyone here play Crazy Climber or Tower Toppler(Nebulus)? I still play them on emulators.

Zorak

Quote from: Oniya on September 16, 2012, 10:32:22 PM
Half the people I knew played to watch the Queen move.  The other half played to watch the Queen get captured.

YES...  I think... Queen takes Knight?  They hug... kiss... and she stabs him in the back with a dagger :)

I liked Pawn takes Knight too... they fight spear & sword, then the pawn takes the but of his spear and slams it into the Knight's foot ... he starts hopping up and down and the pawn clocks him over the head !

I LOVED that game!

LunarSage

Not long after Battle Chess was Star Wars Battle Chess!   ;D

Software Toolworks - Star Wars Chess - 1993

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Quote from: Fedora on September 17, 2012, 07:28:11 AM
My spouse just upgraded his phone, and gave me the Xperia Play he already had, which I had been coveting for emulators. I've spent the whole time since he gave it to me playing Mario RPG.

There's a game I can't remember the title to that's driving me nuts. Does anyone recognize the game? It was a PC game, came on a ridiculous number of floppies (I think like 6), back in the days when instead of DRM, when we started the game it would ask us for a random word on a random page in the manual to make sure we'd bought the game.

The basic plot was a person inherits a mansion, I think from an uncle, and it turns out to be evil and full of demons. Now the basic beginning of the plot is reminding me of Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube. Anyway. It was in first person view, and I recall there was a part further on in the game where you get into a portal in the basement and you're attacked by Mind Flayers.

ANYHOO. We were a Nintendo family. Got the NES back when they were still being sold, and the SNES a few years later. When my brother and I got older, we got pretty into collecting video games for a while, but sadly, most of it ended up sold off because life doesn't like us to have a video game collection. I kept some of the rarer/better stuff, though.

It wouldn't be Dark Seed, would it?  A video game inspired by the art of H.R. Giger... (and it doesn't involve face-huggers).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Oneiros

Hmm... Having looked at screenshots, I don't think that was it. The one I'm thinking of had FPS elements to it, I mainly remember the mind Flayers because when you encountered them, they would launch at you DOOM-style and make me panic and I'd pretty much always die.

Immortal Flame

Saw this topic and just had to respond.  I was actually digging through some old NES games the other day looking for a few oldies but goodies :)

Maniac Mansion -   This game is an absolute classic, even though a lot of people don't know about it.  I always though it was very humorous and detailed for its time.  And really fun, given that it's a point-and-click variety!  I also loved that it had so many different endings available in a time when there was usually only a linear playthrough.  Your character choices in the very beginning determined so many things throughout.

Metal Gear Solid - I have to go here, though its not an original sort of choice for a classic.  Lots of people love the MGS franchise.  It was one of the first games that I played and beat (numerous times) and really what got me into gaming.  I mean, c'mon, a cardboard box?  Who knew that was going to be epic awesome? ;)

Donkey Kong SNES -   That who series for SNES was way ahead of its time.  The graphics were there, the detail was there, the character and plot was great!  There are times when I go back and play this game just to remember the good times.  And it still rivals some newere games that have come out.  I've not played the Wii version of DK yet, but all the others that came out after the SNES had gone just couldn't capture the right flavor for me.

LunarSage

Quote from: Immortal Flame on September 17, 2012, 10:03:23 AM
Saw this topic and just had to respond.  I was actually digging through some old NES games the other day looking for a few oldies but goodies :)

Maniac Mansion -   This game is an absolute classic, even though a lot of people don't know about it.  I always though it was very humorous and detailed for its time.  And really fun, given that it's a point-and-click variety!  I also loved that it had so many different endings available in a time when there was usually only a linear playthrough.  Your character choices in the very beginning determined so many things throughout.

*Mumbles something about putting the hamster in the microwave*  ;D

Sasquatch421

I can't remember which got brought over, but the state did get Sailor Moon for either the NES or SNES... It was actually supposed to be good. Then of course I fell in love with Wolfenstein 3D and Doom... I'm a sucker for a game soundtrack and while Doom didn't have much for music, some of the noises got creepy.... Now to wait for Doom 4....

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Fedora on September 17, 2012, 08:58:02 AM
Hmm... Having looked at screenshots, I don't think that was it. The one I'm thinking of had FPS elements to it, I mainly remember the mind Flayers because when you encountered them, they would launch at you DOOM-style and make me panic and I'd pretty much always die.

Alone in the dark perhaps?

LunarSage

Immortal Flame

Quote from: LunarSage on September 17, 2012, 10:22:03 AM
*Mumbles something about putting the hamster in the microwave*  ;D

YES!! Haha I am so hooking up my NES and hunting for that game cartridge!  I also love to ring the doorbell and then run away  ;D

Zorak

Beorning

Quote from: Fedora on September 17, 2012, 07:28:11 AM

I have a suspicion you're speaking of MicroProse's Legacy.

And speaking of nostalgia: I wonder if anyone remembers Knight Lore? Or Gun Fright? Or Three Weeks In Paradise? Now these were cool 8-bit games  ;D

Moving forward to more modern games, I absolutely loved the original Alone In The Dark, as well as Infogrames' other Lovecraft game, Shadow Of The Comet. And, speaking of adventure games, I still have great memories of Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis. In many ways, it's still a game I compare other adventure games to...

Oneiros

Quote from: Beorning on September 17, 2012, 12:45:02 PM
I have a suspicion you're speaking of MicroProse's Legacy.

AHA! Legacy: Realm of Terror is exactly what it was! Thank you, that has seriously been driving me nuts on and off for weeks.

Kailen

So, this has bothered me for years and years and no one has ever been able to help me out.

When I was a kid I used to play this platform-esque PC game. You played as a cat, with a gun (I think) and I remember one level or section being in Battlements, another through some kind of jungle.

Ring any bells for anyone?

Oniya

Sasquatch421

I used to watch my cousin play Phantasmagoria when I was younger.... I just heard that Microsoft has just renewed the copyright for Killer Instinct as well... I wonder what their plan is? If it ends up an HD remake for Live it's so going onto my hard drive along with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and X-Men....