Everyone's A Hero Again ( Freeform newbie heroes, LGBT friendly )

Started by Dhi, April 20, 2016, 05:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

Sounds good! Do you see Esmerelda as being in charge of the witch's tower?

Crash

Thinking about a adventurous chef too....gah too many ideas!!!!!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Revelation

I'm likewise pondering a librarian who can do some minor magical cantrips, or perhaps a novice/up and coming blacksmith! Good ideas are so easy to come by.

Rel Mayer

Question: What about a terrible necromancer? Would that be something allowed?

Revelation

Hrm, since we seem to have many more magically inclined characters so far, I think i'll go with a blacksmith if I do a second character.

Dhi

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 01:19:49 PM
Question: What about a terrible necromancer? Would that be something allowed?
Probably, as long as you can frame them in a way appropriate to the power level. As I see it, having magic at all puts a character at an advantage over a swordsman because you're less at risk when you can just wave your hands or utter a word and cause things to happen. We have no tabletop mechanic here for limiting how often you can do such a thing. So that's my main concern when it comes to magic: putting it on equal terms with folks who just want to play a brave squire.

The other concern with necromancers is undead minions. I'm okay with Esmerelda having one as a returning character. If you were to design a character with a minion, keep in mind that if giving your minion a sword makes it as capable a fighter as your average villager, then you're suddenly twice as powerful as that brave squire. So, maybe consider something like a crawling hand minion, or necromancy like weakening ray, life siphon, or supernatural fear. Junior necromancy.

From a social perspective necromancy's icky but acceptable. Amberdale should be able to accommodate all kinds of heroes.

caelcormac

This is a very tempting game. Would it be too silly to have a ranger/hunter/whatever with this fearsome creature as an animal companion?

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Dhi on April 21, 2016, 01:45:27 PM
Probably, as long as you can frame them in a way appropriate to the power level. As I see it, having magic at all puts a character at an advantage over a swordsman because you're less at risk when you can just wave your hands or utter a word and cause things to happen. We have no tabletop mechanic here for limiting how often you can do such a thing. So that's my main concern when it comes to magic: putting it on equal terms with folks who just want to play a brave squire.

The other concern with necromancers is undead minions. I'm okay with Esmerelda having one as a returning character. If you were to design a character with a minion, keep in mind that if giving your minion a sword makes it as capable a fighter as your average villager, then you're suddenly twice as powerful as that brave squire. So, maybe consider something like a crawling hand minion, or necromancy like weakening ray, life siphon, or supernatural fear. Junior necromancy.

From a social perspective necromancy's icky but acceptable. Amberdale should be able to accommodate all kinds of heroes.

Hmmm...

Well, I'd like to play something that is easily able to place into the story, as well as fun for other people to play along with. I also don't want to be too powerful, even if she's like an aspiring necromancer that just isn't doing it right.

Maybe I'll skip out of that idea and favor something else! Are themes like pirates styled mercenaries welcome?

Dhi

Quote from: pdragon on April 21, 2016, 01:08:52 PMHope it's alright to make a futa character.
Yep, that is alright by me. I don't see it as being the focus of the game, but with magic and all, it's to be expected somewhere.

Quote from: caelcormac on April 21, 2016, 01:47:45 PM
This is a very tempting game. Would it be too silly to have a ranger/hunter/whatever with this fearsome creature as an animal companion?
lol, go for it.

Crash

Rel - Esmerelda is also an extreme coward and her minion is quite brittle.  ;D

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Rel Mayer

Haha, the only reason I brought up the necromancer, is because I found a hilarious picture that I wanted to use.

But there are so many other pictures out there--that I can move on to a different idea!

Dhi

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 21, 2016, 01:50:46 PM
Maybe I'll skip out of that idea and favor something else! Are themes like pirates styled mercenaries welcome?
Sure! The geography of Amberdale is intentionally vague, it may or may not be near a coast with rampant piracy, or atop a deep underdark complex, or on ley lines where space elves cross over from the moon every hundred years.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on April 21, 2016, 01:59:12 PM
Sure! The geography of Amberdale is intentionally vague, it may or may not be near a coast with rampant piracy, or atop a deep underdark complex, or on ley lines where space elves cross over from the moon every hundred years.

Lol!  Stop giving me more ideas!

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Dhi on April 21, 2016, 01:59:12 PM

Haha, space elves!

That gives me a lot to work with. :) I should have something up today or within the next few days.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Dhi on April 21, 2016, 01:45:27 PM

How well does Johanna work with that? She has magic, but is both rather useless martially and socially, and has terrible, terrible aim with it.

Crash

Red - Delightful

Joanie - She didn't look op to me, was that an area effect fire or single target fire?

Dhi

It's tough to extrapolate how you intend to use it. The metric I'd like to use is this: if it's a nasty surprise for a goblin, that's great. If the one character alone could solve all of Amberdale's nuisances, that's too powerful. So, unreliable fire magic is great. Being able to call down an uncontrolled inferno is not. It's all in the intention.

In the previous game I played a character who could make a thimble-sized portal. Something like that could be abused, so it didn't sit right with some. But the concept was a junior portalmancer, it was intended to foster laziness and freaky sex stuff. She was not ever intended to unlock doors from the inside or put a dagger in someone's heart. Maybe one day she would be able to do those things, or create bigger and better portals, but part of the fun here is exploring those heroes when all that potential is still ahead of them.

JoanieSappho

Then she should be fine. Fire bolt, rather than ball or cone or wide area damge. It'll still give a goblin a surprise (especially if she's aiming at something else near to id) but won't kill everything in the room. Yay!
Also, have I been spoiled, or does the size of a thimble sound a little on the small end for sexytime fun to anyone else?  :P

Crash

Quote from: JoanieSappho on April 21, 2016, 03:29:52 PM
Then she should be fine. Fire bolt, rather than ball or cone or wide area damge. It'll still give a goblin a surprise (especially if she's aiming at something else near to id) but won't kill everything in the room. Yay!
Also, have I been spoiled, or does the size of a thimble sound a little on the small end for sexytime fun to anyone else?  :P

You haven't written with Dhi have you?  Low is still sad she didn't get a chance to see where that relationship was going to go. ;)

Dhi

Quote from: JoanieSappho on April 21, 2016, 03:29:52 PM
lol

I might have measured it as two fingers. I dunno, it's been a year!

Dhi

Red, I like Zebbie a lot. My main concern is that barbed whip or blinding magic alone would make her formidable. Would you be willing to go with one over the other, or to use a regular whip?

Hobbes1266

Name: Lesslie Alkens
Race: Ninteen twentieths Human and one twentieth Succubus
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bicurious

Mode of Attack: Fly you fools! Lesslie is not a fighter, she's more than happy to run away and hide until it is safe to come out.
Fire! Fire everything!!! if desperate enough to fight Lesslie will chuck any and every potion and item she has with her in a blind panic, it is best not to be in the splash zone.
One Thing In My Pack: Shop key Lesslie keeps a key to her alchemy shop with her at all times.

Description: Lesslie stands at five feet and four inches tall, long purple hair on her head matching her purple eyes caused by one of her many lab accidents. Lesslie has a thin two foot long sensative tail with what appears to be a heart shaped tip, a slight point to her ears and unknown to her, her vagina can vibrate. She has a pale complexion to her smooth mostly hairless skin, a curve to her body practically no muscle tone to her body.
Personality: Lesslie is a very shy curious girl constantly striving to discover more about the world through her study of alchemy. At times Lesslie can be fairly obsessive often forgetting to take care of herself spending days in the darkness of her lab.
Likes: Lesslie is very fond of erotic fiction shes stumbled upon, she likes learning new things, despite being fairly introverted she enjoys company, Lesslie has very little actual experience with any kind of sexual activity, and Lesslie likes honey.
Dislikes: Lesslie is squeemish around bloody injuries and if ever introduced to the idea of any bathroom related sexual activity she would likely vomit.
Story: Lesslie was born in a small village while her merchant parrnts were passing through. She grew up traveling never having a permanent home. She learned a lot about business by watching her parents work. One day she stole a book from her parents cart and began studying alchemy. She grew fascinated by the science and magic of it running away to study at a mage tower. When she was asked to pay her bills for her studies Lesslie ran away and started an alchemy shop in Amberdale with all the books and supplies she could steal.

Crash

Dhi

Multiple characters are okay. I can see wheels turning there already and there's no real reason not to flesh out the town with characters and see what sticks and what doesn't. Don't get overwhelmed!

Crash