Rokugan - D20

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, September 05, 2006, 06:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elven Sex Goddess

Either looking for someone to run a campaign of Rokugan using the D20 system or perhaps doing it myself. 

Creeper

Question: what is Rokugan? I've never heard of that setting.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

indarkestknight

Mmmm...

Tome of Battle... Oriental Adventures...

Swordsage/Iaijutsu Master... Must... resist... broken... combination...

asinglebreath

I don't know D20, but I do own Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) where Rokugan was born.  How critical is knowledge of the D20 mechanics to playing in this proposed game?
"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit me blew hither: here am I. ...Now -- for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart -- take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart."

Jefepato

Quote from: Glabrezubane on September 05, 2006, 07:12:31 PM
Swordsage/Iaijutsu Master... Must... resist... broken... combination...

Admittedly, I haven't read Tome of Battle yet, but I have trouble imagining that the swordsage could make the iajutsu master more broken than it already is.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Jefepato on September 05, 2006, 08:16:12 PM
Admittedly, I haven't read Tome of Battle yet, but I have trouble imagining that the swordsage could make the iajutsu master more broken than it already is.

Standard action, 8th level manuver: x4 damage for a single strike if your Concentration check beats their AC (you still have to hit, but, remember, there's nothing saying iaijutsu focus damage isn't multiplied on a crit or in cases like this). There's a lesser one that only deals x2, but, still, Iaijutsu is all about the first strike.

That said, simple swordsage would be good enough for me.

LordAnubis

If someone ran a L5R game using d10 i'd be all over it.

And as far as ijatsu focus damage being mutiplied, check the books wording on criticals.  If it is like DnD then all additional damage is excluded, like sneak attack and the flaming enchantment, but then I don't know how they worded criticals in Rokugan.

Elven Sex Goddess

To  answer the question what is Rokugan.   Is the world of legen of five rings.  A game based on feudal Japan like setting with Samurai warlords and  various clans to put into simpler terms. 

Sorry to say the game  is more then likely going to be the D20 system that is within the D&D.  Thou I am not sure on if going to go out of the books that are Rokugan.  Such as using the samurai that is in the complete warrior instead of what is listed in the Rokugan book.    But that is if I windup running it.   

Preferrably like a setting with the Mantis (since is partial to the Wasps)

Also on the d10 not be adversed, but have never played it in d10 system thus could not run it.  Would have to be someone else.   

Jefepato

I'd be somewhat interested in playing a game like this, although I'm leery of just about everything printed in the Oriental Adventures book (and honestly, neither version of the samurai class is any good, except that the one grants Iajutsu Focus).

Creeper

Okay, picked up the campaign setting from a friend. Colour me interested, if you decide to run a game.

Elven Sex Goddess

Elven Sex Goddess

Ok  here is a write up for a game of Rokugan L5R,  called Otosan Uchi.  Depending on feedback and such will determine if the game gets off the ground.

Prologue:  Otosan Uchi the capital of Rokugan, seat of power of the Hantei.    The entire capital exists to support the Emperor and his court.  Diplomats from all the great clans reside in the Emperor’s palace. 

Is where policy is determined and set for the empire.   In usual circumstances, but now no one sits on the throne as favored son of the heavens.   A void sits with the death of Toturi as his siblings known as the four winds each posture to take control of the empire.

War has broken out between the Clan’s Crane and Crab, while a conflict between the Dragon and Phoenix escalates and the latter secure the Lion clan as allies.   All eyes cast suspicion on the Scorpion clan, for the emperor was killed upon the edge of their lands in the Shinomen forest.   Through before his death Toturi had reinstated the Scorpion clan back to full great clan status.  The Unicorn clan still controls the Scorpion capital, as the Scorpion clan seeks to regain control.  A blight even if the Unicorn’s control is in name only now.

In addition, the Mantis clan harbors the traitor Yoritomo Aramaus the champion of the Mantis.  Formerly known as Bayushi Aramaus of the Scorpion clan.   Thus for the insult the Scorpion clan seeks to engineer the status of Great Clan removed from the Mantis clan.

Character Creation:

The D20 system of D&D will be used; starting level for each of the characters will be 10th.  The 32 pt buy system will be used in creating a character.    All clans are eligible, as the setting is a court intrigue.

Magic and Koku (Gold) is per the DMG for a starting 10th level character.  The only limitation will be as follows.  Only two characters approved for each clan until all clans have player character representatives within the court.  Through Naga and Nezumi exists in the world of Rokugan as races for player characters.  Humans are primarily allowed, the Naga only of the Green snakes.  As either ambassador of the collective of the Akasha or tied to the Unicorn clan through marriage.  Nezumi at the current time not allowed.

Appendix:  Clans

Crab
Crane
Dragon
Lion
Mantis
Phoenix
Scorpion
Unicorn

The Imperial Families

Seppun
Otomo
Miya

Note:  Minor clans, Ronin do not have the status to enter and reside in the city of the emperors.   The powerful enchantments that ward the walls of the city keep those of lesser status out of the city.   Unless summoned to the court and granted an audience.  One player may claim position as a member of the Emerald Magistrate.  Only one player character will be allowed to take Maho, and only one will be allowed to be secretly a Kolat agent within the court. 

Classes allowed:

Samurai
Courtier
Shugenja
Ninja
Inkyo (enlighten Monk)
Fighter
Rogue
Monk

Prestige classes:  Upon approval

The empire’s faith rests in the walls of this court.  The choices made, the alliances forged all will have a reverberating effect on the empire for generations to come.  Through many of the clans war with each other for control and power.  Within the capital city a truce exists, to go against this would be treason to the empire.

Creeper

Interesting, but I don't think I could do a heavy-politics game with my lack of knowlege with the setting. The intro and idea is very well done though.

Elven Sex Goddess

Here is a source material referance for those that do not have the setting Rokugan. Either in AEG d10 system or for the D20 system. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokugan

Muse

I'd love to play.  Would I have to be of samurai caste to do so? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Elven Sex Goddess

As a member of the Kuge (thou not as loftly as a Daimyo of a clan)  or part of the Buke which makes up the rank and file.   The only exception would be say a naga character in the setting and the Geisha listed below. .

Some may even be part of the clergy, mostly of the brotherhood of Shinsei, made up mainly of Shugenja.  Thou still considered part of the Samurai caste.

No one from the bonge or Eta is allowed.   

Thou a couple will be allowed as Geisha characters, thou they are techincally of the Eta caste non-persons.  Their unique abilities and relationship with Samurai come into play.