Doctor Who, Lost Memories: Thrill Seeker [fireandblood & Villain]

Started by fireandblood, January 07, 2013, 07:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireandblood

It was amazing, the reaction he garnered from even the most terrifying of creatures. It seemed as though all he needed to do was speak and they cowered before him, shrinking in terror. The Slitheen lowered their weapons a little, looking ponderously at him. It seemed impossible, for him to win against all of these weapons. They considered for a moment.

Then, the leader spoke up again.

"You massacred our family, Doctor," he said, anger permeating his own voice. "You rounded them up and blew them to pieces. How are we supposed to let you and your little pet go, now that we have them here? I think that we are going to force you to watch her die, and then we'll kill you. Does that sound nice?"

"No," Robin moaned in a choked voice. The word made her entire body hurt, but she kept speaking. "No, just kill me, let him go." The Slitheen snarled at her, and Korst pointed a finger at her.

"Silence, stupid human," he growled, "No one needs to hear anything from you."

Villain

"I never said I would be going anywhere," the Doctor spoke as he unscrewed the bottle and popped one of the white pills into it before refastening the cap. "I wanted to take Robin in the TARDIS so that she wouldn't have to see what happened next," he said before shaking up the bottle, the inside of it immediately began to froth and churn. "You tortured my friend. I won't let any of you escape what happens next," he said in a quiet but vengeful voice.

He pulled out a syringe from his pocket and pierced the bottle before looked straight at Robin and whispering; "Close your eyes."

The Slitheen took the moment as a signal to fire. Their pudgy fingers pressed down on the triggers, but before a single shot could leave their weapons the Doctor threw the bottle at the ground with all his strength.

The top of the bottle cap shot off like a rocket and brown foam erupted from bottle, spraying the crowd of fat green aliens as it spun in a circle from the heaps of built up pressure unloading in one great purge.

Disturbed screams filled the room as the froth covered the creatures. A sizzling sound cutting through the noise as their flesh began to blister and boil. The brown foam was slowly melting them away. Limbs dropped from their bodies and holes opened up in their ugly fat faces.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO US?!" One of the Slitheen yelled, pointing at the Doctor with a fat clawed finger, that immediately fell from his hand.

"Simple science," the Doctor said whilst striding through the crowd of melting aliens. "What you're covered in is the result of a reaction between the potassium benzoate, aspartame, and CO2 gas contained in Diet Coke and the gelatin and gum arabic in Mentos. I was in America and thought; what not treat yourself and find out if those crazy rumors are true."

A Slitheen attempted to fire his gun at the Doctor, but his foot gave way as it turned to slush, causing him to miss and fire a burst of laser into the head of a fellow alien that had been flailing behind the Doctor.

"All this foam is due to an intense chemical reaction between these two products and a little blast of rock salt solution to help speed up the process and maximize the result," the Doctor explained whilst he crossed over to Robin and began undoing the straps that tied her down to the chair. "If you're wonder why the foam is burning holes in you, it's because coke contains acetic acid. And you know full well what it does to you."

The creatures squealing grew louder as their bodies fell to pieces. The only one left that was still standing was Korst, who seemed to be attempting to curse at the Doctor with half of his mouth missing.

The Doctor looked back over his shoulder at him. And slowly picked up the memory extractor, that lay amongst the sludge remains of Korst's evil family.

ooc: My worst nightmare came true. I wrote out a long post...and then my computer shut down. Trying to write posts whilst watching spider man to be social with my family is hard enough, and then I loose what took me ages to write. It's a nightmare

fireandblood

Robin tried to close her eyes, but the pain and fear was so great that she found she couldn't. Her expression was terrified, and the agony in her head was apparent in her expression as well. And so she saw every second of the attack on the Slitheen, from start to finish.

They were screaming and melting. It was the most disgusting thing she had ever witnessed. Their hands fell off, turning into a brownish slush; their eyeballs rolled like 8 balls across the floor; their legs melted and caused them to fall into a puddle of their own waste.

Then, Korst stood alone, facing the Doctor and still trying to curse him. Robin had been freed, and so she worked on sitting up, though every movement sent a jolt of pain through her entire body. The Doctor was picking something up... The memory extractor. She winced at the sight of it, and realized that the Doctor was planning on using it on the Slitheen.

Standing with an agonizing lurch, she made her way to the Doctor and placed a hand on his arm, stopping him.

"No, Doctor," she said, her voice scratchy and raw. "Don't be like them. I've been through it; I don't want anyone else to endure that pain. Not even him. You need to destroy it." Korst looked at her in shock and relief, unable to express his thanks since half of his jaw had dropped off. Robin's legs gave out, but she caught herself on the Doctor's arm and painfully pulled herself back up. Looking at Korst with a cold, accusing stare, she continued.

"I don't mean that you should leave him alive. Just don't torture him."

Villain

The Doctor's grip was tight around the memory extractor. For a moment it was unclear what he would do as he looked into the empty black eyes of Korst. His hand still shook with rage as he stared down the alien. Deep down the Doctor knew that his rage wasn't just because they had hurt Robin, it was fury born from long forgotten pain. The faces of companions he had lost were surfacing, images were burning inside his mind of those he never been able to save and their final moments.

He saw a crashing ship, a waitress falling to her death with an ugly cyborg, the dead body of a young woman in a black jacket covered in badges, two young adults crumpling as they were struck down by beams that lit up their whole skeletons, a pretty blonde shot through the heart as she blocked a bullet for a skinny man in blue, and of course the millions of Time Lords that screamed as they fell in the worst war there would ever be.

The Doctor reached out with the extractor... he was inches from locking it around Korst's head.

And then he felt Robin's hand on his wrist. He turned and looked at her and saw the pain she was in, but also the determination to save him from stooping to their level. The plea for him to be better than them.

"Humans," he spoke softly, a grim smile forming on his face. "How do you keep managing to surprise me?" The Doctor asked before throwing the device to the ground and stamping on it until it was nothing more than scraps and wires. He glared at Korst and took a step forwards, "If you manage to survive this you'll probably be disposed of by your own family. You'll be alone and wounded forever. Consider it a well learned lesson, that this is what happens when my enemies try to get through me through my friends."

"Come on. Let's leave him to his fate," the Doctor spoke before taking her hand and guiding her past Korst, who now seemed to realise that his arms had begun disintegrating rapidly.

He fumbled for his gun to try and take one last shot at the Doctor. He managed to wrap a fat hand around it and lifted it up to fire at the Doctor as he passed. He pulled down on the trigger, relishing his chance for vengeance, and then watched as the gun exploded in his face.

"Warned him," the Doctor said with a sigh as he opened the door for Robin. "I warned them all."

fireandblood

Robin slouched in relief as the Doctor stomped on the memory extractor. It seemed like, if she saw it used, she would feel the pain all over again... But luckily, he'd listened. She was glad. Then, she walked alongside him, moving slowly as it seemed to be a problem using her legs. Fervently, she hoped that she would get over this pain soon.

Remembering her scar, she reached a shaking hand to her face. Sucking in a big breath, she placed one finger on the angry, puckered line, and cried out loudly. A searing pain had run down the entire length of the scar, making it feel fresh again. Tears poured down her cheeks, and even that was painful.

Then, the Slitheen tried to shoot the Doctor even though his arms were quickly melting. The gun exploded, and Robin gasped in shock as he exploded with it. This day had been all kinds of hell... But at least now she had her angel to rescue her. A furious blush colored her cheeks and she looked away, wincing and hoping the Doctor hadn't seen it.

They entered the TARDIS then, and Robin smiled as much as she could through the pain. It felt like coming home. The big room was wonderful - all flashing lights and strange buttons and levers. But as soon as she got through the door, she sank to the ground, curling into a ball and sobbing loudly even though it hurt like crazy.

"Doctor," she said, her voice shaking, "I can't move. It hurts."

Villain

The Doctor flew at the controls for the TARDIS the moment Robin was safe and hammered the buttons until eventually the TARDIS began to move again and make it's journey through time and space. The less time spent in the area where monsters had interrogated Robin, the better. He was by her side the moment she curled up. He took one of her hands and held it gently in his as he smile down at her.

"I know, which is why I'm taking you to one of the best hospital's that ever existed," he said to her softly before he placed his hands on either side of her head, "But before we arrive I'm going to put you to sleep and erase every bad memory of the pain." Robin would see the sadness in his eyes as he said the words. Guilt soaked every single one of them. "I am so sorry Robin. I promise that when you're healed and when we've got that scar removed, and I swear we'll find away, I'll vanish. You'll never see me again and no one will ever trouble you."

He began to rock her head back and fourth in his hands. His mind linked to hers as he began to hypnotize her into a restful sleep. Hopefully she wouldn't fight and would simply let the darkness take her, but for a mind as complex and pain riddled as hers he had no idea if it would work.

"Just rest Robin. Rest and think of better things than this moment," he whispered softly while the TARDIS sang it's soothing melody while they traveled through the incredible path of time.

fireandblood

Though Robin had known she was safe the moment she'd heard the sound of the TARDIS materializing in the torture room, she felt much better knowing they were leaving it. She flattened her hand on the time machine's floor and patted it like an old friend, smiling through even through her tears. It was amazing. Incredible. The Doctor, the TARDIS... Everything.

Then he was kneeling next to her, holding her head gently in his hands. Listening to him and the soothing sound of the TARDIS's engines, she almost let herself drift off, but as she realized what he was saying, her eyes flew open and she fought against the sleep that threatened to overtake her.

"No," she said in a whisper (the only volume her exhaustion would allow her), "No, no. I don't want to forget. I want my scar. I want to remember every single minute that I'm with you. I want the whole experience - the good, the bad, the amazing, the awful. Because no matter what, I'll know that you always saved me when I needed you. And if I forget this... How will I remember how much you cared? The sound of your voice when you saw me in that room?"

At the end, she grew very tired and hoarse, but her determination was fierce, and she continued.

"I'm going to go to sleep now. But I swear if you make me forget, I'll get you. And when we get to this hospital, they can get rid of my pain, and my bruises. But don't let them touch the scar. I want it. Plus," she added with a weary grin, "you'll never lose me in a crowd this way. And I bet that no matter what happens to your brain, you'll never forget this hideous face."

Starting to let herself drift into sleep, she remembered something else he'd said, and opened her eyes again.

"And don't you dare leave me," she said sternly, looking at him with an accusing glare. "You are never allowed to leave me again. I've regretted it since the moment I said no, and..." she trailed off, unable to finish, and let herself fall into a deep sleep on the floor of the TARDIS.

Villain

Surprise flickered across his face at her requests. He had expected her to be eager to get rid of the terrible memories and even more eager to get rid of the scar. In the past the Doctor had a lot of moments when humans baffled him to no end, but this time he was left completely stumped. He couldn't understand this woman no matter how hard he tried.

He felt Robin slump as her body succumbed to the treatment. For a moment his hands didn't leave the sides of her face as he debated going against her wishes and erasing the dreadful memories.

"You don't need those memories, Robin," he spoke as he softly stroked the scar across her face. "They'll keep you up at night. You'll shiver when you think of them. It'll make you feel angry in the worse of times. You could end up hating yourself the more you think back to those horrible moments. Surely you wouldn't want to remember them when they cause you so much grief?" The Doctor asked, but the moment the words and finished leaving his lips he realised his own hypocrisy. He couldn't remember a lot of terrible moments from his past and he wanted nothing more than to get them back.

He rose and strode over to the TARDIS console and began to move his fingers over the controls like a pianist. The room shook and spun as the TARDIS changed course and tumbled through space and time to the new destination that he had set.

"Humans," the Doctor muttered before flicking a switch and swaying on the spot as the TARDIS violently rocked to one side. "When is the day going to arrive when you don't get your flipping way all the time?"

---

Robin awoke in a clean room which seemed to glow with brilliant white light. The light came not from simple light bulbs, screwed into a primitive circuit system, but from giant slabs of glowing tiles that lined the floors, the walls and the ceiling, bathing everything below in a healthy peaceful light.

She lay, not on a bed, but on a thick grey foam mat, supported by a skeleton of metal which molded it into a comfortable shape around Robin's body. Dangling on either side of this bizarre cradle, were two machines which seemed to constantly adjust beams of blue light that scanned over every part of her body. She was no longer dressed in her own clothes but an ordinary blue medical gown, exactly the same as those on Earth.

The Doctor was sitting opposite her, reading a newspaper titled The Universal News with a bored look on his face. The seat he sat in was as strange as everything else in the room, for not only was it molded in a weird twisty shape, but it was also hovering a few inches off the ground.

"This is the S. S. Nightingale," the Doctor called over the top of his newspaper, "An interstellar liner, launched in the year five billion and sixty eight, for the soul purpose of bringing healthcare to every planet in the universe and providing the best medical care possible to it's patients. On board this ship is nearly eight hundred patients, which are all treated by a staff of over two hundred nurses, doctors and medical droids."

The Doctor tucked the newspaper under his arm and got to his feet before crossing over to Robin and smiling at her warmly. "And yes, medical gowns have still not improved since two thousand and thirteen. They're still the embarrassing, inconvenient things that show off your backside when they the strings undo."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a plastic container which he held out in front of him with a smile. "I bought you some grapes"

fireandblood

Robin had been dreaming. Not of the Slitheen, not of the Doctor, but of home. Her parents, and her brother, and their giant bulldog Roland. It was a peaceful dream; everyone was just sitting down and talking like old times, Roland sitting on her feet as usual. It brought a sense of simple joy, a normalcy that had been absent the last few days.

When she woke up, a small gasp escaped her parted lips. She had never seen anything like this place before. The walls, ceilings, and floors were glowing with some strange yet soothing light, and her body was pillowed atop the strangest bed she had ever been in. And everything seemed to be floating.That was odd. For some reason, everything looked blue, and then she noticed that her body was constantly being scanned by some blue  lights above her head.

Then the realization hit her. Her fingers moved all over her body, checking and double checking. The pain was completely gone. In fact, she had never felt healthier in her life. A smile stretched slowly and cautiously across her lips. There was no pain at all. Raising one finger, she placed it on the scar, and shivered when she felt it. It was surprising that the Doctor had listened to her on that one... But for some reason, she was glad he had.

The Doctor. As soon as she remembered and looked for him, he began talking from behind his newspaper. The Universal News... She supposed she shouldn't be surprised that something like it existed, but she shook her head in awe. She was aboard a hospital in the future, one that was flying along in space helping people, and she was in one of those embarrassing medical gowns. Her cheeks reddened as she wondered just how much the Doctor had seen.

Then he was standing over her, smiling warmly and holding some grapes. She took one and placed it in her mouth before biting down warily. It burst in her mouth with so much flavor that her eyes widened in shock. It was amazing. Grabbing a couple more, she sat up experimentally, surprised to not feel any pain whatsoever.

"Thanks," she said, her voice back to normal volume, "These are great. Now, did I hear you say... the year five billion and sixty eight?"

Villain

"Yup, five billion and sixty eight," the Doctor spoke before plucking a grape and tossing it high into the air before catching it in his mouth. "Earth has spread out amongst the stars and planets and made itself known amongst alien races from far and wide. They've created vast colonies on planets from far corners of the universe and left the old rock behind to burn away, before replacing it with a brand new model."

The Doctor didn't let her ask any questions about the destruction of Earth, he didn't want to explain the complicated story that usually made his companions feel very depressed. So before Robin could ask another question he shoved three grapes into her mouth before returning to his chair to take a seat.

He opened the newspaper again and looked over it's pages. A smile began to spread across his face. A strange thing, considering that the head line of the newspaper said; "Thousands dead in unknown alien attack".

"You know Robin, I don't know what's making me happier," the Doctor said as he gazed over the pages. "Seeing you healed or reading the best news report that has ever been written. I think that seeing you healed is rather nice, because I can tease you about wearing next to nothing, but seeing what's written here...it's just heart warming."

fireandblood

It made Robin's head spin to think that they were quite so far into the future. Five billion sixty-eight. It hardly seemed necessary to keep track of the one year marks after hitting five billion, but that was her opinion. And he'd said... He'd said the Earth had been destroyed... As she opened her mouth to ask a question, the Doctor shoved some of the delicious grapes in her mouth.

She scowled at him as she chewed, even though the taste made her want to smile. It was obvious that he was trying to distract her from the subject, but she resolved to remember and ask later. Her scowl deepened as he went on to tease her... At least, she thought it was teasing.

When he finished speaking, she swallowed the last of the grapes and looked at him accusingly.

"You do realize that headline says "Thousands die in unknown alien attack," right?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "I don't know what's so amazing about that. Also, thanks so much, I'm glad you care so much for me health after just rescuing me from giant green aliens." She then stuck her tongue out at him 

Villain

"Oi, Oi, don't be silly. I care a lot about you're health, but now you're no longer hurt so I can relax a bit. Do me a favor and keep it up," the Doctor said before shuffling his hovering chair a little closer to her and holding up the newspaper. "This article, is the very start of one of the greatest stories in all of time. On a planet called Salo, thousands are suddenly slaughtered by an unknown threat, during a time when most of it's armies are traveling across the universe to lend aid to a distant planet called Facri."

"Now the armies of Salo are devastated by the loss of so many on the home world and have also become exhausted from aiding the Facri against their enemies. They know that they must help the Facri to rebuild their world before they can make the journey and avenge their people," the Doctor held up the newspaper and grinned broadly as he looked over the pages again. It seemed mad that could smile when the story was so dire. "But then, the Facri, grateful for all that the Salo have done for them, insist that not only should the Salo return to their world, but they should let as many of the Facri aid them in defending their world."

"Imagine that Robin? An entire race that see's their planet get almost annihilated and they stick by their friends despite knowing they may have to return to battle again, so soon after the last war. It's amazing how heroic acts can surface in the most dreadful of times," the Doctor said before putting the paper back under his arm and gazing at Robin.

"How do you feel?" He asked softly, concern filling his golden eyes as he ran his eyes over the scar for the hundredth time. "How do you honestly feel?"

fireandblood

Tears sprang to Robin's eyes as she listened to the Doctor's story. She wondered why she was crying so much; the time she'd broken her leg on a swing set she hadn't even shed one tear, and here she was, choked up at a story about aliens. Maybe it was just "one of those days" that a lot of people seemed to have. Wiping her eyes, she smiled at the Doctor, unaware of how the scar on her face made her left lip droop a little.

"You're right, Doctor," she said softly. "That is a wonderful story. Thank you for telling me." She reached out a hand and placed it on the Doctor's, giving it a little squeeze. At his next question, she smiled again.

"I feel great," she said genuinely. "I feel better than ever. Good as new. No pain, nothing. This place is a miracle. And I know I'm horrible to look at, but please don't stare at the scar so much. Your eyes might break." As ever, she made a joke. Serious situations were not her forte, and it usually fell to her to lighten a situation.

Villain

The Doctor grinned broadly and took her hand in his. The smile seemed brighter than the walls of the hospital and more comforting than any of the luxury's that the magical place could offer. It seemed that nothing could break that smile when he truly meant it. The joy he expressed seemed invincible in the face of despair.

"I haven't even told you the best part of that story yet," the Doctor said, but didn't elaborate on what he meant. Instead he listened to Robin and stroked the palm of her hand with his fingers, carefully and soothingly, as she spoke.

"You, are not horrible to look at," the Doctor said, once she was done talking, and got to his feet. He began to press buttons on the side of the strange devices that hung around her bed, causing them to fold away before raising the girl to her feet in a slow careful motion. "You are are one of the greatest things in all of creation. Poet's will one day tell of your beauty and children will make up dirty limericks about your figure."

The Doctor had pulled out a tablet computer from the side of Robin's bed and had begun pressing buttons, seemingly at random. The room began to change color, from white to red and then from red to green before flickering to yellow and then blue.

"Do you know how I know this Robin?" he asked whilst he fumbled with the technology. "Because, you're going to make histor. You're going to travel with me and we're going to show the universe just how incredible we are." The room had now turned to a shade of blue, the same color as the TARDIS and the walls had become dotted with large black question marks.

"I'll be that fraction more incredible of course, it's only natural, but don't worry it's not a competition," the Doctor said before tapping a few more buttons, causing the chair behind him to sink into the ground along with the bed.

"In case you're wondering, which I know you are, I'm checking you out of the hospital," the Doctor said before crossing the room and sliding the tablet computer into a recess that had opened up in it. "This place is so efficient that everything can be done in one room. From scans and inoculations, to diagnosis and operations."

"Usually the process takes a few hours...but I thought, why not save time and hack the system. That should spare all the fine doctors and nurses some time and effort," he said before turning to Robin and smiling at her. "Are you ready to go?"

Robin was not ready to go. It was very clear that she was not ready to go. No one dressed in a hospital gown was ready to leave when they were dressed in next to nothing.

Whether he was winding her up or whether he was just that silly was anyone's guess.

fireandblood

At the Doctor's compliments, Robin found herself blushing. He was so strange, so obviously alien, and yet... Still completely a man. He knew exactly the things to say to women to make them happy - even if they knew it wasn't true. She smiled, raising a hand to her cheek and feeling the puckered scar again. Beauty... Right, she thought, sticking her tongue out. More like the handsome Doctor and his sidekick with the hacked-up face.

She found herself standing, and she stepped away from the bed carefully, testing her legs. Everything was working perfectly, and a broad grin appeared on her face. She didn't even know the last time she had stood as straight as this, or felt so alive and healthy. Then, she realized that the back of her gown was open and turned quickly, making sure the Doctor had no view.

"You're just... checking me out? That won't set off some sort of alarm or anything?" The walls were flashing strange colors, making Robin jump each time something else appeared on them. Then he asked her the most absurd question she'd ever heard, and she couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious.

"Of course I'm not ready," she said, scowling, "I need to put on some real clothes first, if you don't mind."

Villain

"Why? A hospital gown is a fantastic piece of clothing," the Doctor said, sounding a little surprised by her reluctance. "It covers almost enough for you to retain your dignity. It's a nice blue color, perfect for blending in amongst the pastel blue snow of the Izamore mountains. It's a conversation starter, because everyone will want to know what you were in hospital for. It can be used as a garment of seduction by showing off what little it hides and in extreme circumstances can lead to the enemy taking pity on you and letting you go, because otherwise they'll feel bad about killing you after you just got out of hospital."

The Doctor stared at her expectantly, as if thinking that any moment she might applaud his logic, but when the moment never came he huffed and walked over to the exit of the room with a childish frown, "Fine! We'll get you some clothes. You're old ones were incinerated to protect the hospital from outside infection, but I'm sure they'll be a clothing bay somewhere on this spaceship."

The Doctor opened the doors to the room and let out one last huff before turning back to Robin. He was about to tell her to follow him, but then something occurred to him that probably should have earned his attention a few moments ago. "Wait, what was that you said about alarms?" he asked.

Every wall in the room turned bright red and giant warning symbols dotted every tile. A piercing electronic bell rang loud through the room, so loud that it drilled through their heads and filled their brains with noise. The Doctor pulled out his sonic screwdriver, covering one ear with his free hand as he winced in discomfort, before pressing down on the button and unleashing the whirring sound and green glow of the sonic device, which immediately silenced the alarms as the volume rapidly dropped.

The Doctor opened his mouth to say something clever or make some silly joke, but before he could even begin a hulking figure in thick red armor entered the room and shoved him back, before pointing a very large futuristic rifle in his face. It's armor was sleek and streamline, and bared an odd symbol that seemed to resemble a cat's head, surrounded by intertwining yellow rings. On his head was a large helmet which seemed to mildly resemble the head of a lion.

"Uh oh," the Doctor said before raising his arms. Several more soldiers had entered the room, each holding a weapon, which was immediately pointed at the Doctor once they came to a stop.

"Look..." the Doctor began, "I know this looks bad, but let's just get one thing straight." The Doctor spoke calmly before pointing a thumb at Robin. "It was entirely her fault."

"You are guilty of the attempted kidnapping of one of the S. S. Nightingale's patients. State your name and make your case," one of the red soldiers growled with a strange ferocity in his tone. His armor differed from the others. The finger tips of his gloves were tinted yellow and there was a yellow stripe along the mane of his helmet.

"My name is the Doctor and I plead innocence on account of she seduced me into kidnapping her," the Doctor replied with a silly grin on his roughly shaven face.

fireandblood

Throughout the Doctor's rapid speech about hospital gowns, Robin just looked at him with bewilderment. She had never met someone who could go on and on talking, just spitting out nonsense, and still be absolutely amazing and compelling. When he said something about her seducing someone with a hospital gown she had to laugh at the absurdity of it all. Shaking her head, she followed him to the door.

"Oh well great, thanks," she said, putting her hands behind her in an attempt to cover her rear end. "I'm glad you've finally seen the light. Do I get to wear space clothes? Also, I want to hear the best part of that story." Then, the alarm started, and Robin covered her ears to try and block out the noise. Luckily, the Doctor was able to silence it with the sonic screwdriver, and she stood shocked behind him.

The soldiers stormed in, intimidating and fierce. Their lions' heads were drawn in severe snarls, and the teeth almost looked real. And then the Doctor was saying it was all her fault.

"Hey," she muttered, slapping his arm lightly, "You just shut up." The things pushed them toward the center of the room and the leader accused him of kidnapping. She smiled smugly as the Doctor made his protestations, but the scowl returned quickly as he accused her of seduction.

"There was no seducing," she said to the creatures, exasperation in her voice, "But he isn't taking me against my will. I want to go. I feel all better. Can you let us out please?"

Villain

"The victim will remain silent until the accused has been tried and prosecuted for his crime," the leader of the red lions said as formally as he possibly could, but no matter how hard he tried there was still a feral snarl in his voice. "If you have anything to say then you may do so once the trial is complete."

"Well, isn't that something?" The Doctor asked Robin, sounding impressed. "Now that is what I call following protocol. This commander seems to know exactly what he's doing, wouldn't you agree Robin? He's following everything to the book and ignoring everything that his gut instinct tells him. Even if the simple answer is staring him in the face."

"You will be silent," the leader growled and raised his gun. The machine let out an electronic hum as the barrel of the weapon began to glow a fiery red. "You will come with us and you will remain in custody. Any attempt to flee will result in your destruction."

"Oh that is just fantastic!" The Doctor said with pride. "Listen to him! He is a dedicated soldier, a real keeper of the peace. He won't let anything go to chance. I really am blessed to be arrested by the Claws of Santori, especially when they're so keen on protecting the Nightingale's patients and the VIP on board." The leader lowered his weapon a little at the Doctor's comment. The rest of the soldiers shuffled on the spot.

"How do you know about the Mistress? Who told you?" The leader asked gruffly, his finger teasing the trigger. It was obvious that he was debating on whether to shoot the Doctor dead on the spot.

"You did I'm afraid," the Doctor said with a cheeky grin, pointing at the leader with his thumb as he held up hands in surrender. "The claws of Sontari, the devoted guardians of the sick, suddenly wielding advanced weaponry and taking a no nonsense approach to arrests? I've never known the Claws to be as highly strung as the Judoon. The only reason why they would ever be so touchy is if there was someone important on board that they had to protect."

There was an awkward silence. The leader stared at the Doctor and raised his gun in preparation to take a shot. But then he lowered his weapon and motioned to his fellow soldiers.

"These two will be taken for extensive questioning. Disarm them both," he growled before the soldiers closed in on the two. Robin had nothing to disarm, so the soldiers simply grabbed her arms and pulled her along, while the Doctor was stripped of his anorak and shoes before being lifted by the guards and dragged out of the room by his shoulders.

"Stay calm Robin! I have this all under control!" The Doctor called, before letting out a yelp as the soldiers rifled through his trouser pockets and pulled out a fist full of metal devices, odd tools and strange throbbing objects. "I have this less under control Robin. Feel free to panic."

fireandblood

The conversation was completely lost on Robin. So much for being psychic if I still have no clue what's going on, she thought in annoyance, her fingers tapping against her leg. Usually she wouldn't stay silent if someone told her to, but these things seemed a little too intimidating not to listen. So she stood warily, her eyes flitting from one creature to the next.

Claws of Santori... Judoon... VIP? Nothing made any sense. The Doctor seemed well-versed in the aliens of the universe, she granted him that. And she sighed as she realized that not even in a hospital would anything go normally with the Doctor. And as the Claws of Santori became agitated at his comments, her eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Then, of course, they were captured. If the situation wasn't so terrifying, Robin would have rolled her eyes. It was almost worth a laugh, even. She was being grabbed by the stuff of nightmares and dragged along unceremoniously, all with the back of her hospital gown flapping open in the back. And then the Doctor spoke, telling her first not to panic and then that it was okay to panic. A breathy laugh came from her at this.

"Do you go looking for trouble, Doctor?" she asked wryly as they were pulled along by the aliens. "Do you say, 'Ooh, Robin's hurt and needs a hospital, better take her to the one where I can cause the most mischief?' Because it's really getting old now!"

Villain

"Then you're going to get very frustrated with me the more you get to know me," the Doctor called back to her as they were herded out the room and taken down vast corridors.

The rest of the hospital glowed as brightly as the patient's rooms, which were plentiful to say the least. Every corridor was lined with thick glass doors, each numbered, named and labeled with the patients condition and medical treatment. Occasionally they encountered doctors and nurses, walking urgently about the place with tablet computers and various pieces of medical equipment, only pausing to move out the way of the marching red soldiers and their prisoners. Eventually, after traveling through seemingly endless corridors and elevators, they were led into a dark grey room with large sinister robotic arms lining the walls.

"The accused will be scanned for medical history and then we will commence interrogation," the leader said before walking over to one of the walls and pulling out a tablet computer from it's surface, much like the Doctor had in Robin's room. He pressed a few buttons with an armored finger and the robotic arms came to life and stretched out their menacing metal fingers, which were covered with drills, hooks and flashing red lights.

"If I plead guilty can we skip the interrogation?" The Doctor asked timidly. "I think I'm a bit allergic to being tortured. It makes me come out in a terrible rash and I start sneezing. You wouldn't want to get snot on your nice clean floors, would you?" The Doctor was pushed towards the arms. As he stumbled a barrier of light surrounded him, locking into place as the arms began to twist and turn around him, washing him with red light as he his entire anatomy was scanned.

"Why did you come to this ship?" The leader asked, the more he spoke the more his voice seemed to resemble the low growl of a hungry wild cat.

"Oh, so we're not going to be tortured? Fantastic!" The Doctor cheered, holding his arms above his head as the robotic arms moved to allow them a better angle to scan his arm pits.

"You will be tortured if we believe you are lying," the leader snarled, his comrades had sealed the exit to the room and still had their guns out. It was strange that even though they had them at their mercy, they still didn't relax.

"I was visiting a patient," the Doctor spoke, whilst lifting his foot so that the robotic arm could scan the sole of his feet.

"Why did you really come to this ship?"

"I told you I was visiting my friend."

"You tried to check her out of this hospital without following procedure," the leader snarled, his patience wearing thin.

"I'm a rebel like that. I don't like waiting," the Doctor said with a shrug causing the leader to let out another snarl of annoyance.

"Things aren't looking good for you, Doctor. Once we have your full body scan we will be able to take great care in causing as much pain to the most delicate parts of your body. Your suffering will last for a long time, until eventually we have the truth from you," the leader waltzed up to the force and seemed to stare through his visor at the Doctor, as if taking in his prey and savoring every moment. "Pray to Sontari for mercy. Perhaps she will be kind and rid you of your life after a few hours."

A blaring alarm suddenly came from the robotic arms and they immediately halted their scans. The leader looked up at them, evidently confused, whilst the Doctor looked around him with wonder.

"Wow, I should really give religion a go. It looks like Sontari's on my side," the Doctor spoke before winking at Robin. "So what's going on mate? If I'm not wrong that sounded like an a warning alarm? Did the computers find something that you're not going to like?"

The leader let out a grunt before gazing over the tablet computer. He was silent for a moment, but then eventually he turned to his soldiers and ordered them away with a wave of his hand. before turning back to the Doctor and Robin.

"It appears that our records indicate that your biology is of importance. It says in our data files that should someone with your DNA appear at this station then you must be taken to the mistress," the leader explained, sounding rather bitter about the sudden change of plans.

"Oh, well that is nice," the Doctor said before looking over at Robin. "Do you hear that Robin? I'm not going to get tortured, you can stop worrying about me now."

The force field lowered around the Doctor before the leader took the Doctor an Robin by the arm and pulled them together. "Activating transport sequence," the leader announced before yellow light erupted from his body and the world disappeared from before their eyes.

Solid ground reappeared beneath their feet after a second of falling through endless light the feel of weightlessness. When their eyes refocused they found themselves in a patient's room. However, unlike Robin's room, which had been empty apart from seating and equipment, this room contained a luxury double bad with white silk sheets and pillows and a veil of frilly cotton surrounding it.

"You will mind your tongue when you speak to the mistress," the leader growled after letting go of their arms.

"Mind my manners?" The Doctor asked with a little hint of smugness in his voice as he looked around the room. "Whoever we stand in the room with is so important that the only way to get into it is to teleport. This person must be mighty important to have such security. I promise I'll be on my best behavior."

"Amazing," a soft, weary voice, spoke from behind the curtains. "It has been so long since I have seen you and even though you bare a new face, you still have not ceased your immaturity." The curtains pulled back and for a moment the Doctor stared in surprise at the figure that lay under the sheets.

She was a thin creature, dressed in white, with a funny crescent hat upon her head. Her entire body was covered with a thin layer of grey fur and although her face bore the eyes and wrinkles of a human, it was shaped with all the physical features of a cat.

She smiled at them with small pointed teeth and at that moment the Doctor beamed with delight, his eyes wide with astonishment.

"Novice Harme?" The Doctor exclaimed with a chuckle with disbelief. "What on earth are you doing here?" he asked before turning to Robin and gesturing to the aged feline. "Robin this is Harme, a catkind part of the sister's of plenitude, worshipers of the God, Sontari. A long time ago she helped save all of mankind from being wiped out by a super virus."

"You will call her by her proper title Doctor" the leader growled, taking a step towards him. "She is Mistress Harme now, high priest of the Sontari faith. Captain of the S. S. Nightingale as well as chief healer and medical supervisor!"

fireandblood

Robin thought it spoke volumes that no one seemed interested in her opinion. If they would just ask her what the Doctor was doing, she could vouch for him, but of course she was just an insignificant human and her thoughts didn't matter. And so she stayed put, the guards each keeping one hand on her but allowing her to try and cover her backside with her hands.

She watched him getting scanned with a mixed expression of amusement and fear. The way he held his body at various angles made it seem almost as though he was enjoying the sensation, but all the talk about torture... Well, she didn't want the Doctor to be tortured on her behalf. Then, of course, an alarm started sounding, and she rolled her eyes.

His DNA was of interest. It really looked as though everyone in the universe knew of the Doctor, and she was really amazed that she had never heard of him before. One day, she'd have to ask him about that. She smiled at his quip, wanting to reply, but she didn't get a chance to. Their captors had gathered them together, and one of them pressed a button. The room disappeared.

For a moment, a sensation of complete weightlessness overcame Robin, and she felt as though she was either falling or hovering suspended in the air. Luckily, they were soon back on some kind of floor, and she sighed in relief. She didn't think that was her favorite feeling in the world. When the Doctor made the remark about being on his best behavior, Robin smirked.

"If this is your best behavior, I don't want to see your worst," she whispered, as they were ushered forward. She fell silent, though, as the curtains around the mysterious figure were pulled back. Gasping in shock, Robin had to refrain herself from running closer to get a better look. The woman was a cat, but a human... At the same time. She was old but beautiful, serene and smiling though she was tired.

And of course, the Doctor knew her. After the Claws had barked at the Doctor to call her by her proper name, Robin smiled at the cat-lady.

"It's nice to meet you, Mistress Harme," she said softly. Suddenly, a tumble of thoughts and feelings erupted in Robin's mind, and she closed her eyes trying to see them all. They obviously came from Harme, and all of the thoughts were of Sontari and the same giant face that Robin had seen in the Doctor's thoughts, and the feelings were weariness, pain, and... fear.

"What's wrong?" Robin whispered breathlessly, having to restrain herself again from running to Harme's side.

Villain

"Nothing is wrong. I a quite fine," Harme began, but then a horrid cough forced its way out of her mouth. She gripped her chest with furry fingers and shut her eyes tight as she forced air into her lungs. "Please, do not worry. I am quite all right"

"No you're not," the Doctor said with a grimace. "You're dying," he said softly before running a hand through his messy hair and groaning. "'What are you doing here?' What a stupid question, you're sick." Harme gave a small smile at the Doctor's words, he frowned at her before taking a step forward and placing his hand on the end of her bed. "Is there anything I can do?"

"I'm dying of old age Doctor. There isn't anything anyone can do about that," Harme replied before letting out a soft chuckle as the Doctor's frown grew even grimmer. "Hush now, I've lived a long life and my only fear is of the harm my death could cause those who are most important."

"What do you mean?" the Doctor asked.

"Your companion is right Doctor. I am afraid, a great deal so," Harme spoke in a strained voice. "Decades ago, when New Earth had elected new leaders and began to rebuild the world, outside help was called in from all corners of the galaxy to help restore civilization. Many have been generous, but some saw our ruined world as an opportunity for profit and have been trying to legally obtain the Earth ever since."

"The Mistress has been a key member of opposition to any political movement that might rid the Earth of any power or civil rights," Rogan spoke solemnly, every word a small snarl or growl. "There have been many attempts on the Mistresses life. Some of which have been disguised to look like they came from Earth folk and their closest allies. The enemy wants nothing more than a reason to cast suspicion on the Earth being primitive from it's years of confinement and unfit to maintain a working world government."

"And you've learned of a new plan to assassinate Harme," the Doctor said grimly. "Which is why the Claws are so on edge and why you've ad such strict security."

"I must die from my condition Doctor. I cannot have my death start a war," Harme said weakly, tears brimming in her old kind eyes. She smiled bitterly and looked away, "It would have been easier if the Face of Boe were here... many worlds trusted his judgement. They were less than pleased to know that someone with a past as dark as mine was helping to restore order."

"That was the past Harme," the Doctor said before striding over to Robin and wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "Besides, we may not have the big old face, but we do have someone here who shares a thing or two with the fella."

"Doctor?" Harme asked, tilting her head in confusion as she looked back and fourth between him and Robin.

"Robin here is the greatest detective in the universe. She'll be able to find your assassin before he or she manages to even step into this room!" The Doctor said cheerfully before clapping Robin on the shoulder. "Trust me. She may be inappropriately dressed but she'll do the job perfectly."

fireandblood

When the Doctor said that Harme was dying, Robin's hand drifted up to her mouth. She didn't even know the woman, but for some reason her impending death weighed heavily on her mind. Maybe she had just seen too much death lately, and even one more seemed too excessive. Though the cat was dying of old age, it just made Robin sad that they couldn't do anything for her.

Then they were speaking of plans to purchase the Earth, and assassination attempts on Harme's life. As they spoke, more images floated to the front of Robin's mind... Of spaceships, something called "Bliss," skeletons, some man in a long coat who had spiky hair, and that face, always the giant face. Then the images shifted, became those of a modern world filled with people, and aliens as well, some who seemed to be helping and others who seemed to be plotting.

When she mentioned the Face of Boe, Robin could only assume that she was referring to the face she kept seeing, the one encased in glass and smoke, who seemed so kind and gentle. And she guessed he had died from the way Harme was speaking of him... But why did she say she had a dark past? As the Doctor put his arm around Robin, she found herself just nodding along, until she realized he was saying that she shared some characteristics with this face. Her eyes grew wider when he said she was a detective.

"Um, well," she said, shooting an accusing look up at the Doctor, "I really have no idea what he's talking about. I'm sorry."

Villain

"Of course you do - she's incredibly modest, this one. She solved the Sliluthian Murder Mystery, she brought the barons of Moloc Five to justice and even managed to solve the hundred year mystery of the misty forests of Tenru," the Doctor said, clapping her on the shoulder again as he beamed at her. Laughter shined in his eyes as he watched her expression change from his lies.

"Is this a joke to you Doctor?" Rogan snarled angrily, "The Mistress needs protection! We need to find this assassin using the best resources available. Not some random neanderthal who just got out of hospital!"

"Rogan!" Harme hissed, showing anger for the first time on her delicate feline features. "You will hold your tongue! Such behavior is most unbecoming of you! If the Doctor trusts her, then so do I."

Rogan lowed his head in a bow. His arm hugged to his chest in a sign of apology. "My sincerest apologies Mistress.... and to you to Doctor."

"I don't believe I'm the one who needs apologizing to," the Doctor replied absentmindedly before nodding towards Robin.

Rogan seemed to freeze up for a moment before eventually bowing to Robin, "I apologize miss. Forgive my rudeness."

"Rogan is my most loyal guardian and has served by my side for many years. His regard for my safety clouds his judgement," Harme spoke with regret before offering a smile to Robin. "Please forgive me for troubling you by placing you in such a situation. You need not do anything you do not feel capable of doing. I will not hold it against you."

fireandblood

As the Doctor spoke, Robin's eyes widened and her mouth fell open. She couldn't believe he was so blatantly lying to these people who were trying to trust him with something as valuable as Harme's life. But her shocked expression turned into a scowl as Rogan insulted her, and she glared at him with her most intimidating look - which, she admitted, was probably not intimidating at all.

"It's fine," she said curtly when he apologized. "No offense taken." She then took a very deep breath before looking at the Doctor accusingly. Then, turning to Harme, her expression softened and she smiled.

"I didn't do any of the things he just said I did," she said gently, walking toward the sick cat. With a nervous glance at Rogan, she placed her hand on top of Harme's. "But there is something... Weird about me. I can sometimes see things. Things I don't usually understand... but I'm starting to. So if I can help you, I will. I'll do my best. I just can't promise that it will work. I don't want to lie. But if you'd like my help, I'd love to give it. Just tell me what to do and I'll try as hard as I can to keep you safe."