News:

Main Menu

Kindness Rocks!

Started by finalwolf, January 18, 2019, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finalwolf

So, this is a little hobby that I do. I'm going to start this off by saying how I got into this, and then explain what it is.
My daughter had an apt. at the audiologist, and she was anxious about it. On the way inside, she spotted one of theses Kindness Rocks. It made her day. I'd say almost all of her anxiety was gone upon finding it and it helped keep her calm during the exam.
That smile my daughter had, is how I got into this. This started in Dec. 2018, so I'm still pretty new about it, but I have placed about 60 rocks out there so far.

What Kindness Rocks are
You take a rock (usually you can buy them at a hardware store or any place that sells rocks), and you paint it. Many people will use stickers or other craft items to decorate it, some will put encouraging words on it, and some will draw pictures on it. You then take that rock, and place it around town, not on grass though (not where it can be run over), and if you do put it inside a store, you must ask for permission by the manager. Most are placed in trees, free little libraries, and on ledges of buildings. You may never see your rock again, but knowing someone takes joy in it, is the best.

Below are examples of my work:

Questions to talk about:
Have you heard about Kindness Rocks before?
If you have, have you done some yourself?
Have you ever found one?
Is this something you could get into?
If you do this, how long have you been doing this for?

Nico

Oh those are so very lovely!

I know about Kindness Rocks. My mother makes those now and then!

finalwolf

Quote from: Nico on January 18, 2019, 11:41:33 AM
Oh those are so very lovely!

I know about Kindness Rocks. My mother makes those now and then!
Thank you, and I'm so happy to hear that someone knows what this is on here! I am sure your mother's rocks are beautiful and cherished by those who find them.

Tolvo

Pretty cool. Seems very nice. I have not heard of it specifically for rocks but I do know about the concept for other things usually leaving kind letters around or when people do positive graffiti(Intended to be easy to clean as well so it doesn't give people hard work). Or things in multiplayer games like leaving gifts or messages or things to cheer up others. But seems like a nice thing to do.

Nico

Quote from: finalwolf on January 18, 2019, 11:46:26 AM
Thank you, and I'm so happy to hear that someone knows what this is on here! I am sure your mother's rocks are beautiful and cherished by those who find them.
I hope so! She's doing floral patterns, mostly. And sometimes encouraging words as well. It has been a part of her therapy some years ago and now it has turned into a beloved hobby.

finalwolf

Quote from: Tolvo on January 18, 2019, 12:16:30 PM
Pretty cool. Seems very nice. I have not heard of it specifically for rocks but I do know about the concept for other things usually leaving kind letters around or when people do positive graffiti(Intended to be easy to clean as well so it doesn't give people hard work). Or things in multiplayer games like leaving gifts or messages or things to cheer up others. But seems like a nice thing to do.
I haven't heard about the others! That sounds so awesome. I'm glad there's lots of ways people are able to show kindness around.

finalwolf

Quote from: Nico on January 18, 2019, 12:18:06 PM
I hope so! She's doing floral patterns, mostly. And sometimes encouraging words as well. It has been a part of her therapy some years ago and now it has turned into a beloved hobby.
Glad it has helped her and has become such a beloved hobby for her. If you ever get some time and if she is willing, I'd love to see some of her work! I'm always looking for new ideas for myself or for my kids to try.

Sain

Never heard of these before, but they sound wonderful. I bet whoever picks them up is happy for rest of the day ;D Seems like a fun group activity also.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Oniya

One of the local RenFaires has a booth (patch?) of those.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17