The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Yes, well sort of. Jaime Reyes & Ted Kord turned up in Smallville back when The CW was The WB
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on June 16, 2016, 04:29:23 PM
Yes, well sort of. Jaime Reyes & Ted Kord turned up in Smallville back when The CW was The WB

Huh, must've happened while I was marathoning the last couple seasons of it just to get to the end, I was tuning in and out constantly. Very few shows should last that many seasons.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

They had the Blue Beetle in season 10 in the same episode which had Booster Gold. The guy they had playing Booster was perfect. They also had Connor Kent to, who was created as a clone of Lex Luthor merging the DNA of Lex and Clark's. Clark's eventually won over and transformed Connor into Superboy. Powers and all. Dean Cain appeared in an episode playing Knox who was basically like Vandal Savage.

Apparently, some news articles are dropping spoilers already for the Suicide Squad movie regarding artwork which seems to detail who lives from the movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 16, 2016, 07:36:28 PM
They had the Blue Beetle in season 10 in the same episode which had Booster Gold. The guy they had playing Booster was perfect. They also had Connor Kent to, who was created as a clone of Lex Luthor merging the DNA of Lex and Clark's. Clark's eventually won over and transformed Connor into Superboy. Powers and all. Dean Cain appeared in an episode playing Knox who was basically like Vandal Savage.

Apparently, some news articles are dropping spoilers already for the Suicide Squad movie regarding artwork which seems to detail who lives from the movie.

Awesome! There was talk of BB and Gold getting a buddy-cop style movie. Man, I can't wait til the DVDs come out, or they get released on Netflix. Too bad I heard the Flash isn't likely to get on there til September.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

According to an article, it looks like the Justice League Dark is going to be an animated movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 16, 2016, 08:28:20 PM
According to an article, it looks like the Justice League Dark is going to be an animated movie.

Was it ever on the DCEU slate at all?

SapphireStar

It looks more like it is on the Animated universe slot. At least according to the articles. I don't see them doing a live action movie for Justice League Dark any time soon.

Mathim

I've not been familiarized with that anyway, not sure how it differs from the regular JL. Anyone think any of the DCEU upcoming ones is going to have the subtitle "Injustice" anywhere in it? Since it looks like that was what they were hinting at in BvS with the premonitions.

SapphireStar

The Justice League Dark is a team made up of John Constantine, Edrogan, Deadman, Zatanna and a few others. They basically fight everything supernatural.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on June 16, 2016, 09:26:32 PM
Was it ever on the DCEU slate at all?
I know Guillermo del Toro was linked to movie as writer\director but the film had problems getting off the ground, so whatever's coming looks like a Justice League Dark movie instead of the Justice League Dark movie.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Hm. Maybe if their approach had been more measured and they weren't scrambling to get Justice League out, they could have done a Dark film (in the way they're doing a Suicide Squad ensemble) before the first Justice League. But a lot of those characters seem like they've worked well on the TV shows, being low-tech, so maybe they have a point holding back from doing an actual movie.

SapphireStar

If they are going to do anything related to Justice League Dark, it would make more sense to get it started on TV, whether the CW or one of the cable networks like HBO. The story elements are very much similar to those of Supernatural. Plus, they can build up the characters and stories better over the course of a season. Not many movie goers might know about this group.

They already did have John Constantine appear on Arrow, it wouldn't be a stretch to have some of the other characters make an appearance on the other shows to lead into the actual Justice League Dark show. Would be so awesome if they got Kevin Smith to helm that series in partnership with Del Toro.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 17, 2016, 01:34:13 PM
If they are going to do anything related to Justice League Dark, it would make more sense to get it started on TV, whether the CW or one of the cable networks like HBO. The story elements are very much similar to those of Supernatural. Plus, they can build up the characters and stories better over the course of a season. Not many movie goers might know about this group.

They already did have John Constantine appear on Arrow, it wouldn't be a stretch to have some of the other characters make an appearance on the other shows to lead into the actual Justice League Dark show. Would be so awesome if they got Kevin Smith to helm that series in partnership with Del Toro.

Hell yeah, that would rock! I'd want to see the Deadman, Boston Brand. I hated how there was only one episode of Justice League Unlimited with him, he was so interesting, and he only ever vaguely mentioned that Batman helped him solve his own murder. I would have wanted to see that!

Also, BIG JUSTICE LEAGUE NEWS! I'll provide the link, but I'll spoiler the big stuff here.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni59963285?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2494921022&pf_rd_r=03H80H0YPG78A6CQNS2X&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp5

So, Willem Dafoe's role is revealed, and he's going to be playing
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
an advisor character from Atlantis on Aquaman's side, named Nuidis Vulko. So something like an Alfred to Bruce Wayne's Batman.

Apparently, Zak Snyder finally (although with resounding refusal to acknowledge his fuck-up) declares that the tone will indeed shift in response to overwhelmingly negative fan response. Gee, I wonder why it took TWO movies of people pissing on that aspect of his directing to get him to change his mind.

And as predicted, the slate has indeed changed, and one thing it has done is turn Justice League Part 1 and 2 into a single Justice League standalone, which leaves a follow-up that would have been Part 2 to be more ambiguously titled, or otherwise drastically changed. Too bad it still hasn't left room for other solo movies before the big ensemble.

The main villain
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
will not in fact be Darkseid in spite of this being a standalone movie now, leaving the ultimate role of Darkseid to remain unknown. Instead, Steppenwolf will be the main antagonist. No one has been cast for either part yet, however.

And as expected, the Flash character will be the lighter, comic relief type of the group which they say will contrast greatly with Batman's serious, somber attitude.

SapphireStar

Well, tv news updates. The actress who appeared in one of the episodes on Arrow season 4 as the "new" Black Canary after Laurel died will be returning for several episodes. But, she will not be a new Black Canary instead she will be a new archer. The character Artemis who appeared on Young Justice.
Season 4

Don't read if you haven't seen Season 4
It appears Madison/Artemis will be replacing Thea who appears to have had a crisis after season 4 events. Plus, Team Arrow is severly depleted in ranks with pretty just Oliver and Felicity running things.

Gotham will be introducing in Season 3 a reborn Pamela "Poison Ivy" Pepper with a new actress to play the older version.

Bryan Cranston has confirmed he will be playing Zordon in the new Power Rangers movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 22, 2016, 10:38:46 PM
Well, tv news updates. The actress who appeared in one of the episodes on Arrow season 4 as the "new" Black Canary after Laurel died will be returning for several episodes. But, she will not be a new Black Canary instead she will be a new archer. The character Artemis who appeared on Young Justice.
Season 4

Don't read if you haven't seen Season 4
It appears Madison/Artemis will be replacing Thea who appears to have had a crisis after season 4 events. Plus, Team Arrow is severly depleted in ranks with pretty just Oliver and Felicity running things.

Gotham will be introducing in Season 3 a reborn Pamela "Poison Ivy" Pepper with a new actress to play the older version.

Bryan Cranston has confirmed he will be playing Zordon in the new Power Rangers movie.

I know the show is called Arrow, but do they really want nothing but archers on the team? Branch out a little, that's all I'm saying.

And about Cranston, that's hilarious news. Almost as unexpected as Elizabeth Banks playing Rita in it.

SapphireStar

Though it is interesting from a news article, Bryan Cranston actually did work on the Power Rangers television series. He provided the voices for various monsters and they named the Blue Ranger after him. Original Blue Ranger was Billy Cranston. Interesting how it has come full circle.

Well, Season 4 pretty much tanked Arrow. All the good characters have been cast aside. Main focus going forward is on Oliver and Felicity. There is still rumors circulating that they might make her the new Black Canary. Plus, the actress playing Felicity's mother has been bumped up to series regular. So, I'm pretty much done with the show and its soap opera drama.

I'm interested to see how the new shows Legion and Hellfire do. They've been keeping alot of the details underwraps, but they have been releasing character details. The Defenders show on Netflix has been green lighted. And, they've released who the new Big Bad will be on the shows. Big Bad will be....Mephisto. I so hope they introduce Hellstorm and Hellcat on the Netflix shows.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 23, 2016, 06:46:36 PM
Though it is interesting from a news article, Bryan Cranston actually did work on the Power Rangers television series. He provided the voices for various monsters and they named the Blue Ranger after him. Original Blue Ranger was Billy Cranston. Interesting how it has come full circle.

Well, Season 4 pretty much tanked Arrow. All the good characters have been cast aside. Main focus going forward is on Oliver and Felicity. There is still rumors circulating that they might make her the new Black Canary. Plus, the actress playing Felicity's mother has been bumped up to series regular. So, I'm pretty much done with the show and its soap opera drama.

I'm interested to see how the new shows Legion and Hellfire do. They've been keeping alot of the details underwraps, but they have been releasing character details. The Defenders show on Netflix has been green lighted. And, they've released who the new Big Bad will be on the shows. Big Bad will be....Mephisto. I so hope they introduce Hellstorm and Hellcat on the Netflix shows.

Holy shit, that's a big spoiler. Thanks. But Defenders was already greenlit, just not in production yet. The rate of success those Netflix series are having, there's no way it was ever a question that it would happen. Not sure how any of them except maybe Iron Fist will be able to tackle Mephisto but if he's just pulling the strings and not actually doing any of the dirty work, surely there will be something for all of the Defenders to do what with minions and all. Hellcat doesn't really seem up to the task unless she's suddenly undergone a hardcore training regimen at the end of Jessica Jones, or gets a supernatural upgrade somehow. But usually these otherworldly threats seem like they'd all normally be way out of the league of most heroes of Daredevil's tier. Sure, Luke Cage's invincible ass is going to stomp anyone who messes with him, but with Jessica's inconsistent power and the mystery of what level Iron Fist is going to be at, it's hard to imagine an appropriate set of villains for them to each take on.

SapphireStar

Hellcat has the fighting capabilities, plus supernaturally inclined. She was married to Hellstorm/Damion Hellstorm and they were both members of the Defenders. And, she worked for Mephisto for a brief time before returning to the Earth realm where she eventually worked as an investigator for She-Hulk's private law firm and later opened a job agency for superheroes.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist have taken on different powered villains. Luke Cage was an Avenger, and they've fought other worldly beings, various aliens, etc.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 23, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
Hellcat has the fighting capabilities, plus supernaturally inclined. She was married to Hellstorm/Damion Hellstorm and they were both members of the Defenders. And, she worked for Mephisto for a brief time before returning to the Earth realm where she eventually worked as an investigator for She-Hulk's private law firm and later opened a job agency for superheroes.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist have taken on different powered villains. Luke Cage was an Avenger, and they've fought other worldly beings, various aliens, etc.

The MCU version of her, though, is pretty incapable. She'll have to really work on that to not be dead weight, or like I said, get a supernatural upgrade of some sort. She was one of the few characters in JJ that I didn't totally hate.

greenknight

Lemme get things straight in the MCU. Luke Cage, supersoldier-lite, not a mutant/inhuman/etc. Frank Castle, supersoldier-lite, not just a bad-ass. Trish Walker, not a supersoldier-lite. (For comparison, Black Widow, supersoldier-medium, and Steve Rogers, supersoldier.) Jessica Jones, ???. Skye/Daisy Johnson, inhuman. Matt Murdock, radioactive mutant. Elektra Nachios, ninja badass. Daniel Rand, presumably mystic ninja badass. Does that about cover it?

I guess the important question to ask is if Trish uses fish oil. ;)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

Quote from: greenknight on June 23, 2016, 11:24:50 PM
Lemme get things straight in the MCU. Luke Cage, supersoldier-lite, not a mutant/inhuman/etc. Frank Castle, supersoldier-lite, not just a bad-ass. Trish Walker, not a supersoldier-lite. (For comparison, Black Widow, supersoldier-medium, and Steve Rogers, supersoldier.) Jessica Jones, ???. Skye/Daisy Johnson, inhuman. Matt Murdock, radioactive mutant. Elektra Nachios, ninja badass. Daniel Rand, presumably mystic ninja badass. Does that about cover it?

I guess the important question to ask is if Trish uses fish oil. ;)

I think that's an oversimplification of some of them, and the definition of 'super-soldier lite/medium' is seriously ambiguous.

SapphireStar

Saw a news article where Stephen Amell is teasing a "Meaner" season 5 with one of the most "violent" non-stop fight ever on television when the show returns. Um, has he ever watched Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Banshee, or some of the other fight scenes on other tv shows?

Legends of Tomorrow has cast Vixen. Maisie Richarson-Sellers who played Eva Sinclair on The Originals. This Vixen is in fact related to Mari McCabe. Maisie will be playing Mari's grandmother.

greenknight

Quote from: Mathim on June 24, 2016, 08:01:57 AM
I think that's an oversimplification of some of them, and the definition of 'super-soldier lite/medium' is seriously ambiguous.
It's meant to be. Black Widow got the bootleg commie version Cap got and she's still immune to aging, she's stronger than anyone in her weight class should be, and she's whip smart and hypermobile. And then Luke Cage straight up says he was part of a "program" and I believe Frank does, too, but they aren't anywhere near Bee Dubs. (Powerman may be stronger and tougher, but Steve and Nat have a much more comprehensive upgrade package).

But my point is, Hellcat's powers are generally outside a supersoldier serum; her magic detection and forcefields are inhuman tricks rather than just being harder, better, faster, stronger.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

SapphireStar

Movie News: It is being reported that Spider-Man: Homecoming will have not one but three villains. Michael keaton's The Vulture. Logan Marshall-Green rumored to be playing the Tinkerer who builds The Vulture's flight suit from alien material leftover from the battle of New York with the Avengers. And, they have added Bokeem Woodbine as a corporate businessman, but have yet to reveal who he might be playing. Other potential characters being mentioned is The Shocker.

Luke Cage/Powerman is cited as having strength level at Class 50. Can lift 25 tons, while Cap's limit is 800 to 1200 lbs. Plus, his body if virtually invulnerable even taking a fall from a ninety story building and walking away. Cap can fall 2000 feet and walk away. Luke Cage according to the comics was not involved in a super soldier program like Cap, but experimented on when he was in prison.

Punisher, if I remember right, he was more along the lines of simply an normal human who held Olympic level athletics/endurance with superior fighting skills.

Since they are introducing Mephisto, and Patsy Walker was for a time working for him it is possible that he would gift her with powers. Given that the Terrigen crystals had yet to be released, how did Jessica Jones gain her powers before that event? Technically her powers, Iron Fist's, Luke Cage, etc would be considered Inhuman? The MCU can't use any mutants because that is trademark to Fox. It is highly probable that at some point Mephisto would kidnap Patsy/Trish Walker, and when she returns she will be Hellcat. It is unlikely they would introduce certain characters without a chance of eventually showing their alternate identity like Skye/Daisy becoming Quake. Helena Bertinelli on Arrow becoming the Huntress. Roy Harper becoming Arsenal. Barry Allen becoming the Flash. Jessie Quick becoming a speedster. Cisco becoming Vibe. Ronnie Raymond and Dr. Martin Stein becoming Firestorm.

There have been duplicates of Cap and Black Widow. U.S. Agent was an attempt to recreate the super solider serum to make another Captain America. There was a blonde haired Black Widow. But, the comic version of the characters and movie versions are different. Cap is pretty much the same, but other the Natasha in the movies was born in 1984 unlike the comic version who was born in 1928. Movie version was not given the serum which extended the comic version's life. There are still some similarities between the two but yet different at the same time.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 24, 2016, 04:39:28 PM
Saw a news article where Stephen Amell is teasing a "Meaner" season 5 with one of the most "violent" non-stop fight ever on television when the show returns. Um, has he ever watched Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Banshee, or some of the other fight scenes on other tv shows?

Legends of Tomorrow has cast Vixen. Maisie Richarson-Sellers who played Eva Sinclair on The Originals. This Vixen is in fact related to Mari McCabe. Maisie will be playing Mari's grandmother.

How DARE you leave Daredevil off that list?!

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 24, 2016, 05:43:17 PM
Movie News: It is being reported that Spider-Man: Homecoming will have not one but three villains. Michael keaton's The Vulture. Logan Marshall-Green rumored to be playing the Tinkerer who builds The Vulture's flight suit from alien material leftover from the battle of New York with the Avengers. And, they have added Bokeem Woodbine as a corporate businessman, but have yet to reveal who he might be playing. Other potential characters being mentioned is The Shocker.

Okay, I'm out. Have they learned nothing? The most hated Spider-Man movies have been the ones where they tried to cram in too goddamn many villains!

Luke Cage/Powerman is cited as having strength level at Class 50. Can lift 25 tons, while Cap's limit is 800 to 1200 lbs. Plus, his body if virtually invulnerable even taking a fall from a ninety story building and walking away. Cap can fall 2000 feet and walk away. Luke Cage according to the comics was not involved in a super soldier program like Cap, but experimented on when he was in prison.

Punisher, if I remember right, he was more along the lines of simply an normal human who held Olympic level athletics/endurance with superior fighting skills.

They have to have seriously amended a lot of this for the MCU.

Since they are introducing Mephisto, and Patsy Walker was for a time working for him it is possible that he would gift her with powers. Given that the Terrigen crystals had yet to be released, how did Jessica Jones gain her powers before that event? Technically her powers, Iron Fist's, Luke Cage, etc would be considered Inhuman? The MCU can't use any mutants because that is trademark to Fox. It is highly probable that at some point Mephisto would kidnap Patsy/Trish Walker, and when she returns she will be Hellcat. It is unlikely they would introduce certain characters without a chance of eventually showing their alternate identity like Skye/Daisy becoming Quake. Helena Bertinelli on Arrow becoming the Huntress. Roy Harper becoming Arsenal. Barry Allen becoming the Flash. Jessie Quick becoming a speedster. Cisco becoming Vibe. Ronnie Raymond and Dr. Martin Stein becoming Firestorm.

There have been duplicates of Cap and Black Widow. U.S. Agent was an attempt to recreate the super solider serum to make another Captain America. There was a blonde haired Black Widow. But, the comic version of the characters and movie versions are different. Cap is pretty much the same, but other the Natasha in the movies was born in 1984 unlike the comic version who was born in 1928. Movie version was not given the serum which extended the comic version's life. There are still some similarities between the two but yet different at the same time.

Jessica's powers come from a seeming overdose from some chemical developed by IGH, the same guys who gave Simpson those pills that turned him into Nuke. So maybe the Inhumans are involved in some way (Maybe IGH is the MCU's response to the Mutant Growth Hormone that was a part of the Jessica Jones comic book story, since they can't use mutants) but that doesn't make Jessica nor Simpson a couple of Inhumans.