Arrakis...Dune...Desert Planet

Started by The Dark Raven, March 22, 2009, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

So, because I think my pitch, half born as it is, is better for an intro post than a pitch...I'm just going to cut to the chase here....

I am wanting to play a game revolving around Frank Herbert's Dune series.  I am hoping to set it during Frank's Dune and not Brian's Dune, for selfish reasons but...depending on any interest, I'm flexible...I have all the books but 4 of Brian's and I plan to get those.

So...the pitch is this....

Dune, setting negotiable, canon/originals negotiable....

This is an interest check and plotting thread. :-)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Dingo

You could play out the politics of a coalition of minor Houses controlling Arakis. That could be fun.

A mix of politics, but all the characters have something to lose if they fight each other too badly. But of course they would be maneuvering for power.

Thufir Hawat

I might be interested. Would you tell more about your idea?
Moment of the timeline, roles of the PCs and system all would be nice to know before deciding whether to sign up.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

RubySlippers

The Dark Raven

Thufir,

Ah a mentat.  :-) 

I'm best at freeform (no system), and since this is an interest check thread I'm really also trying to negotiate with those that are interested in playing which setting we use (like Dingo has above).  I am happy to go with the majority idea, because I am so extensively read in the universe.  I can play almost anything (though I am Atreides camp...I've never been able to play a Harkonnen in name).

Just let me know what setting you'd prefer to play and we can add that to the list.  :-)

Regards,
Lily

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: daylily on March 22, 2009, 10:52:46 AM
Thufir,

Ah a mentat.  :-) 

I'm best at freeform (no system), and since this is an interest check thread I'm really also trying to negotiate with those that are interested in playing which setting we use (like Dingo has above).  I am happy to go with the majority idea, because I am so extensively read in the universe.  I can play almost anything (though I am Atreides camp...I've never been able to play a Harkonnen in name).

Just let me know what setting you'd prefer to play and we can add that to the list.  :-)

Regards,
Lily
Indeed, a mentat ;). And no, I don't really have preferences, but around the era of the first Dune book of Frank Herbert would be nice.
Generally, I don't play freeform, but I'm just checking your ideas for now.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Ryieahna

Oddly enough I was just thinking about Dune today..o_O scary that I found this.   However I've only ever read the first book in the series, not caring to ruin a beautiful story with a sequel, so I guess it would depend on how much I'm missing.

Doktor Sleepless

I'd be interested (if I'm approved), but only if it's something that doesn't mess with the established timeline too much. I don't like Houses other than Harkonnen or Atreides in control of Arrakis and all that.... at least at times where they shouldn't. I don't have my Dune Encyclopedia here, but some other House might  have controlled it before the Harkonnens; though I prefer playing in a time between the first book (by Frank, of course, Brian's don't count) and the end of the third one...

The Dark Raven

If we see you on the other side of that approval process, Doc, remember even the author of the Encyclopedia says it is strictly NOT canon. ;-)

Doktor Sleepless

Yeah, I know Daylily, but at least its approved by Frank Herbert... unlike the books written by Brian and KJA... and I don't know about the computer games, but I don't like the whole "Ordos/Harkonnen/Atreides battling for Dune" thing. Know what I mean?

The Dark Raven

At least Brian and Kevin are using Frank's notes. ;-)

But any how...back to the matter at hand!

RubySlippers

My idea would likely be for a character to be the last member of the supposedly fallen House Ginaz, a woman Ginaz swordmaster working on learning all she can to perfect a new and deadly school of fighting. Likely she would have her own peoples training to a fairly high degree, Bene Geserit training to a modest degree not the more mystical training save maybe stronger force of will to resist the Voice for example somewhat, but the physical aspects far more and is likely on Arrakis to learn from the Fremen their fighting skills. The goal is to merge them all and be the head of her own school someday, likely focused on Kanly.

So it would work anywhere in first three books or just before as a concept and be full of plot hooks.

RubySlippers

Thats fine but I get dibs on being the only surviving member of the ruling house, not sure the rank that is baroness or countess or duchess however since the whole deal is to take back her place and end the Kanly with the fall of House Moritani.

Its their fault for not getting her to, they needed a better Master of Assassins.
;)

More help the better.

Doktor Sleepless

I don't want to be a noble, so you're golden.

RubySlippers

Well its not like my character is going to advertise right away its best the enemy THINK they eliminated the House she heads then she can notify the authorities that the Kanly is still in effect, until my character is eliminated. Nice thing about the homeworld she comes from women are de facto equals a Baroness would yield as much authority as a Baron. And like I said until they eliminate my character the Kanly is in play and its War of Assassins. In fact them thinking the entire noble house was eliminated serves her well for the time being perhaps she will infiltrate the enemy house and destroy them from within. So many ideas here and plot hooks, plus it fits into the early book perfectly before a bit or after Paul Atreides.

And can be just as lethal in combat Kanly or not.  ;D