Lots of Guests/Bots

Started by AmberStarfire, October 28, 2018, 03:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberStarfire

It looks like your site's got a lot of bot visitors right now. I just felt I should draw your attention to it.

Vekseid

Looks like some weird scraping attempt out of Beijing. Thousands of requests from a pair of 'phones', mostly for people's profiles which it can't access.

AmberStarfire

CriminalMindsFan

I believe most cyber crimes and the like originate in China and that part of the globe?

Vekseid

Cybercrime originates all over the place.

This really looked like someone's personal web crawler bot.

AmberStarfire

I've seen something similar before when I was on a friend's RP forum (Dark and Moody forums, which is closed now). A ton of bots/guests would show up and it was like they were trying to get in, only they didn't. I wasn't sure if their intent was to infiltrate the forum or drain resources, but they'd hang about, then they'd go. Then they'd return and they'd go. I just remember they came back a number of times and I wondered if they were being directed.

Tsenta

Quote from: AmberStarfire on October 29, 2018, 04:02:45 AM
I've seen something similar before when I was on a friend's RP forum (Dark and Moody forums, which is closed now). A ton of bots/guests would show up and it was like they were trying to get in, only they didn't. I wasn't sure if their intent was to infiltrate the forum or drain resources, but they'd hang about, then they'd go. Then they'd return and they'd go. I just remember they came back a number of times and I wondered if they were being directed.

A lot of the time it's data collection, you'd be surprised how much personal data people put out without even knowingly doing it.  Lot of bots will scour a site, trying to grab e-mails, IM handles, discord servers, etc. All in means to either try to steal, or spread malicious software/links.   Luckily, E has protections in place for stuff like that. Which is likely one of the reason why there's the "No personal info in public areas" rule.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Solera

Quote from: Tsenta on October 29, 2018, 06:30:17 AM
A lot of the time it's data collection, you'd be surprised how much personal data people put out without even knowingly doing it.  Lot of bots will scour a site, trying to grab e-mails, IM handles, discord servers, etc. All in means to either try to steal, or spread malicious software/links.   Luckily, E has protections in place for stuff like that. Which is likely one of the reason why there's the "No personal info in public areas" rule.

I’ve been on plenty of rp forum based sites and a few have the “website not secure” message every time I log-in. I have brought it up to the admins, but either they simply don’t care or don’t know how to make it secure. I’m thankful E takes these things seriously and protects their community from these bots; creating a safe place.
On + Offs | BDSM Test Results
ghost mode activated
Persuade me to write with you~

Lustful Bride

Looks like it happened again. 700+?

Isnt there a way to keep the bots out? And is there anything the average user on E can do to help?

Not much you can do to stop bots from reading public areas of the site.

Flower

Hahaha if all if them submitted intros, that would be madness. xD

Beguile's Mistress

Usually it's web crawlers that randomly select any site that will give them some sort of access.  Once their server realizes they can go no farther they move one.  Quite often it is done for advertising purposes so the can list their links like those you find on news services.

Vekseid

It's gotten a bit ridiculous so I've blocked their entire netblock.