Do ye have th' guts? (Dwarven Pathfinder Game)

Started by Blinkin, September 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

For years, I’ve wanted to play with a party of dwarves on an incredible quest, against impossible odds and just maybe walk away with the maiden and the treasure in the process.  I’m looking for 4 to 5 players to join me in what may be the challenge of a Dwarf’s lifetime!

Need to Know

There are some requirements that I’ll get out of the way. All of these are meant to help keep the game flowing and aren’t very much to deal with overall.

1.   The only acceptable race is Dwarf. There isn’t much point in playing a tefling in a game that is all about Dwarves, is there?
2.   Sexual content will be left up to the individual player. Unless it furthers the campaign, these events will take place in side threads to keep the game moving.
3.   No 3rd party classes. No sommers or gun slingers.
4.   I’m looking for players who will stick with the game long term. Regular posting is required and I would like to see a minimum of 2 post a week. I am aware that a game killer in PBP is the time that it takes to conduct combat. Therefore, there is a 72 hour time limit between a GM post and player responses. Players have the choice of having the round NPCed, or loosing the round if they do not reply.
5.   If there is interest beyond the 4-5 slots offered, players will be selected based upon character concept, so include a concept with your interest statement.
6.   Skills will be used in game. In order to give a range of crafting skills, each character will be allowed 1 primary craft skill. No other craft skill may exceed 2 ranks, or 75% of the primary, which ever is lower. To compensate, a bonus feat, “Skill Focus: Craft (Primary craft skill) will be given.

This game will be Co-GMed by Anon315.

In the history of every culture there are stories, legends, and fables, myths of fantastic feats, heroic battles and epic struggles in awe inspiring places; some of them may even be true! Such tales are often the focus of conversation around a warm fire, good mugs of ale or stronger spirits;no less true for the long lived Dwarves.

Indeed, such a story has often been told over some of those very fires and mugs for hundreds of years. A tale of heroic deeds, of resisting darkness most foul and  acts that any dwarven lineage would dream of saying, “That was me kin!.” For more than 300 years, the ledgend of Stonegard Keep has entertained Elder and dwarfling alike.

As the story is weaved, it speaks of the discovery of a vein of silvery mithral so wide that a wagon could not span it’s width. A find so rich and deep in the tunnels under the city that forges were constructed right in the tunnel to work the metal. Of how even before more than a few tons could be mined that something vast and of purest evil drove the hardy dwarves of Stonegard Keep from the tunnels and into the very heart of the underground city itself… of violent battles in the streets and of dwarf blood flowing so fast that it ran along the gutters like water… of gray bearded warriors and beardless dwarflings pushing against that tide of darkness… and died by the dozens for each foot given to it. To give the children and their protectors time to escape. How the struggle lasted to the very hidden gates of the city itself as the courageous last few warriors and boys alike stood shoulder to shoulder until even the king himself fell with the last of his faithful dwarven warriors… and even then only a relative few found their way to safety for that heavy price.

Since those days long ago, dwarves in the kingdoms speculated on what happened and where that entrance might be; if the tales were true or some fancy. For you see, Stonegard Keep did exist and hundreds fell before the gates…. But no one living actually knew how to get to the fabled stronghold. The few traders who knew the way died long ago and the survivors never spoke of it again… Fore you see, none could face that dread place and live to tell the tale themselves.

Then, less than a year ago, the last known survivor died of old age quietly in his sleep. He had been but a babe when he had been carried out of the darkness… but he had a legacy that might hint at the location and the horrors that they faced.

A few months ago, a band of Dwarves 30 strong set out to reclaim the city… and the vein of mithral once and for all… a scant week ago one lone dwarf staggered to the walls. Battered and feverish from hideous wounds, he swore that he had himself seen the city, and more, the silvery wall itself… before … but his last breath only whispered “black death.”

The pounding of a nail into a plank of wood secured the notice on the wall along with other notices for work, caravan guards, religious services and a lone, yellowed parchment advertising a revolutionary transportation device that every home simply must have… brought to you by Sherman the Gnome.

Do ye have the courage?
Is yer heart good an’ strong?
Do ye have ah good arm fer swingin' yer axe?
Do yer eyes strain ta see far off places an’ adventure?
Is ye lookin’ fer treasure an’ killin’ what needs killin’?

STONEGARD KEEP!

I’s be lookin’ fer good dwarves ta joins meself fer the wall o’ silver… if’n yer nay ah lilly-livered orc!

Bad pay, nay any benefits an’ yer as likely as nay ta die, but yer’s promised as many evil thin’s as ye can kills, All the good ale ye can guzzle an’ a share o’ the spoils as me’s new nobles o’ Stonegard Keep if’n ye live!

See Rogar AnvilRinger this Tuesday at th’ Inn o’ the first home an’ signs yer name ta me party if’n ye gots th’ guts.”

Who could possibly resist such an inviting offer? I mean…Honestly?

Character Generation

Level 6
Ability Scores: Roll 5D6, rerolling 1’s and dropping the lowest 2.
Starting Gold: 16,000 GP (Note, if you take advantage of crafting to create items, reduce by 15%)
Take max HP at 1st level, then normal rolls afterward, rerolling 1's... there's nothing worse than getting a 1 on a HD roll...

HHow Crafting/Creation works

Ok, how crafting and creating magical items works in my world.

Before I begin, it has been brought up that players never see time for crafting during games, and therefore, never see time for creating magical items. Therefore, it’s a wasted skill or feat. I DO intend to give you time for this during game. All anyone has to say is “I want to spend a few days here and do some work.” Or words to that effect. I’m not going to push players through a campaign in the least amount of time possible. It’s YOUR game, I’m just offering a setting to play it.

The decrease in starting gold:

First, if you don’t want to use the feat, take advantage of another’s abilities or craft expensive items… then the 15% drop will not effect you in any way.

Because crafting/creating items saves a character ½-2/3 of it’s list price, particularly big ticket items, I have decided to institute a rule option that the GM’s section of the Pathfinder RPG already uses. I have, in fact, reduced the suggested penalty because I don’t completely agree with it but don’t want to see characters carrying around 25,000+ GP worth of equipment when they start with 16,000 GP.

How it works is, if you craft/create an item who’s base value is 500 GP or more, you can easily craft/create enough to exceed the 2,400 GP that you’ve lost. If you craft/create items with a base value of less than 500 GP, you are not effected at all. So, if you want to craft a MW weapon, you can do it all year long and not loose a copper piece. If you want to craft/create a Mithral Chain Shirt… well, you probably need to get another 1,900 gp worth of equipment to balance things out. This is actually not hard to do at all… Want a ring of protection, amulet of Natural Armor or handy havers sack? Well, that’s half of that remaining with any 1 of the items. So, it’s not going to be hard to recoop that lost gold at all.

IF you want to craft potions, unless the potion’s base cost is more than 500 GP, you will not be effected. Make 100 of them and I won’t bat an eyelash and you will not loose a single coin. It is ONLY if the base value of an item exceeds 500 GP and we can take that on a case by case situation.

Selling items:

I gave the crafter/creators the option to charge a minor fee for the items. 10% so that they aren’t just doing all of the work for nothing. If you craft a MW weapon for someone, say a battle axe, you spend 2/3 of the cost, plus 100 GP for the masterwork component. (Look it up, the 300 GP is also cut by 2/3 for crafting purposes). So, you end up spending about 120 for the work of making the axe. You may charge an additional 12GP for your efforts, if you wish. If you craft a Mithral Chain Shirt, your cost is 367 GP. You may ask for a fee of 36.7 GP for the effort. It’s small, but makes sense as friends don’t always take advantage of you, do they? As a side note, some players may not of realized it, but a number of “magical” armors listed in the Pathfinder site aren’t actually magical, so a simple crafting skill will allow their production.

During play, I will give anyone who wants it (assuming that the other characters agree) the opportunity to sit down someplace and craft/create items. To make the reason for crafting/creating more appealing, I am also increasing the amount that you can get for your efforts, if you sell the item, from the restrictive ½ value that the Pathfinder RPG allows to 60% of value. So, that Mithral Chain Shirt that cost you 467 GP to make will net you 168 GP instead of 83 GP. (334 GP for mithral+ 1/3 cost of a chain shirt+100 GP Masterwork cost). A Ring of Protection +1 will not go for just what you spent to make it,  (1,000 GP+the material cost of the ring) but for 1,100 GP… making you 100 GP profit (Instead of no profit at all)

Now, this is not a lisence to go wild on crafting and making thousands of GP.  You DO have to find someone who can buy the item and haggle out the price. You also have to actually spend the time to make the item and that requires the party to agree to allow you the days to weeks to do so. Perhaps sharing the profit will make thateasier, perhaps not. A good reason for that bluff or diplomacy skill, huh?

All of this will also effect the loot that the party gets from combat, but I don’t intend to run a combat heavy game, so it will balance out. The point is that I want to give you every chance to ROLE-PLAY in the game and use the things that you’ve sacrificed to get. Even non-magical characters can craft magical items if you take the feats and you should have the opportunity to use them.

Feel free to ask questions and we’ll answer them as best as we can.

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Thinking of doing an archer... Any idea on a time when you want to start?

Blinkin

Things will start when there's a party and characters are settled. I'm giving it a few days to a week to see what happens.

Tell me more about your archer... what's the concept behind it?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Personality-wise he'd probably be the the lancer, the foil to whoever leads the group, dour and cynical. Having relatively few spellcasters in the dwarven clan (since half the classes that get primary spellcasting take a hit to their primary stat) he was brought up to bring support fire and interrupt enemies who cast spells.

Callie Del Noire

Blinkin

Alchemist? Sure. Post up a character concept. :)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Blinkin on September 27, 2013, 03:36:02 PM
Alchemist? Sure. Post up a character concept. :)

A modified version of my PFS character.. Boomstick McCracken.. Ironically your Gunslinger ban makes him more effective as a Fighter/Alchemist (Grenadier). I'm thinking Heavy Repeating Crossbow with Explosive Missile and a few more Crossbow focused feats and such.

Ghostwheel

I take it you'll be in the backline with me? :P

Callie Del Noire

More like the running gun type. Infusing Alchemical weapons into bolts, using his Dwarven Waraxe when needed and tossing out bomb shots every now and then.

Ghostwheel

For what it's worth, I think I can take care of traps... +12 to Perception and +10 to Disable Device from what I'm seeing atm.

Blinkin

Duh... I knew that I was forgetting something. The first post is modified to deal with HD.

To make it easier though, it's here as well.

First level gets full HP, roll regularly after that, rerolling 1's. There's nothing more irritating than rolling a 1 on a hit die.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

hi hi!   I'm still intrested. 

If Callie-kun does't mind another alchemist, this time a front line one with a fighter level, I'd love to reprise Tarkana SToneskull.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

When I asked for character concepts, I was hoping for more than just a class... Tell me about the character. No need to go into full character creation, just something to give me an idea of what you have in mind for the character.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Oh, I tried to play her the first time we tried this game.  (When Chajesdad was hoping to run it.) 

I didn't give more for two reasons. 

A.  I'm busy for the next few hours. 

B.  I didn't want to put too much effort into it if Callie was going to want that roll protected. 

Basically, Tarkana is from a clan of dwarves who breeds riding boars and are the first line of defense against surface attacks on the dwarf hold.  (They splintered off from a clan of goat herds when they discovered the secrets of domesticating dire bores.) 

Tarkana is a cavalrywoman style fighter, with a lance and a war axe and a dire boar named Frenzy.  After a war with the goblins, she discovers the secrets of transcendental alchemy in their loot and takes up the trade, learning to make her own body stronger and more resilient, and also delighting in bombs. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ghostwheel

Quick reminder for you two people with Brew Potion... :-3

Quote from: Blinkin on September 27, 2013, 12:37:25 PM
Starting Gold: 16,000 GP (Note, if you take advantage of crafting to create items, reduce by 15%)

So might be more cost efficient not to actually brew anything for now. Also why I didn't craft my own bow, despite taking ranks in Craft (Bow).

frost rose

Interest registered! A game of dwarves sounds like great fun. Probably, if it's acceptable and there's still room, with a loremaster of sorts. Somewhat older and long in the beard, with an already established career as a jurist and scholar. Already past the hotheaded adventuresome years, still an active what passes for archaeologist in premodern day. And since it'd be useful for a researcher, with appropriate focus on conjuration and divination magic, and whose craftsdwarfship is all of the finest quality when evaluating and restoring ancient artefacts, magical and otherwise.

And because conjuration's a pretty boss specialty to have, not useless in a fight, either.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

Blinkin

The "usual" items that an alchemist uses, elixures, bombs, and... what's the third? are so cheap as a rule that I wouldn't consider them crafting.

I shouldrestructure the limitation to refer to magical items. Simple Masterwork usually won't cost very much. A bow, for example, would cost less than 200 GP for masterwork and it would be silly to give up 2400 GP when you're only saving a couple of hundred.

Armor with special materials, on the other hand, such as mithral shirts, adamtine and other special materials can start to be huge gold savers. A mithral shirt, for example, being non-magical still saves you somewhere in the area of 700 GP. Add in any enchantment and you start to get some real savings. That is where the discounted starting gold comes in.  When I did both armor and weapon crafting for a 6th level character some time back, I ended up with somwhere in the area of 3,000 or 4,000 GP extra. The discount keeps the actual starting gold in the same range that's implied by the tables to begin with.

As an example, using the bow again, a +1 Composit longbow should cost about 2,400 GP. But, you get it for about half of that by doing the crafting and enchanting yourself... or having someone else do it.

So, if you want to craft MW weapons, disregard the 15%. If you want to get enchanted weapons, the percentage remains.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

I could be mistaken, as I'm not sure of the breakdown that Cali was going for with the alchemist, but if your Lancer is more fighter than alchemist and Cali's is more alchemist than fighter, it may balance out. You and Cali can certainly work it out between yourselves. As always, my concern is that the party will end up too light in the front rank defense and too heavy in the back line. Fill any mage with enough arrows and he's going to not feel like casting much. ;)

A lore master could be interesting in a party mix and some devine spell may be useful. ;)

I don't want to cut anyone off in an opportunity to play, but I wasn't expecting 4 interested players already. Dwarves aren't particularly popular as a racial option... which ws why I wanted to go with it. If we get more than 5, the concepts will be the determining factor in order to get a well rounded party.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ghostwheel on September 27, 2013, 08:57:54 PM
Quick reminder for you two people with Brew Potion... :-3

So might be more cost efficient not to actually brew anything for now. Also why I didn't craft my own bow, despite taking ranks in Craft (Bow).

Grenadier loses brew potion.

Muse

By all means, keep the Grenadier.  I'm more a front line fighter than a grenadier.  (I do throw bombs.) 

And if you loose brew potion, but I don't, that works too. 

Blinkin

Ok Gang, Here's a little puzzle for you. If someone can give me an answer that works, everyone in the party will get a 1,000 exp bonus. I know one answer, but that is not to say that there aren't others.

You approach a room that is dimly lit. Within are two doors side by side, a chissled granite block hanging between them. To the side of each door is an identical  granite statue of a humanoid in robes, a staff in hand and faces obscured by deep hoods.

The hanging b lock has the following inscription:

"Two paths with two guardians.
One leads to thy dreams, the other to thy doom.
Offer questions three and heed wel.
Fore one offers not but lies
The other only the truth to tell.
Do not waste on Whys.
Only know the guardian tells the way
but dare thy not delay.

You may ask up to 3 questions of either guardian to find the correct door.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Muse

Muse

Okay, now that I finally understand the crafting rules, if anyone wants Tarkana to make them a potion say the word. 

Muse

Oh, and Frenzy is an advanced dire war bore mount. 

How much should I pay for her?  I can eyeball it and come up with suggestions when I get back from breakfast. 

Muse

If 2,000 will cover a Mamoth, surely it will cover an advanced dire bore, war trained.  ^_^;;