DnD 3.5 Thayan Campaign Wanted Small Group GM/Players Interest Check

Started by RubySlippers, July 30, 2014, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Pity I had no space for animal growth for your tiger (or other tigers if you continue on as beastmaster). Perhaps UMD skill boosted will help it....maybe.

RubySlippers

So need costs how much for a proper library of Thayan Law including precedents, rulings and the codex properly referenced and organized? She needs the right tools.

Oh and her brother can get legal advice free, and again power mongering is legal in Thay if done legally but be mindful its her view even common Thayans have a right to the protection of the law at least from severe abuse and the law largely does protect Red Wizards so its not like they can't be abused legally.

Oh and you can use slave labor, they won't have rights either since they are property but she will expect them to be suitably treated and kept properly fed, housed and clean so get a good healer who can also tend the animals and the slaves. House slaves will be treated better we have to look at them after all and live with them. My character is to nice. (Punishments are fine but for fair reasons.)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, stronghold builder's guide has clear cost how much library costs and how much books (which give skill bonuses) costs.

Landlord feat can be acquired by 10th level char which gives free funding for the stronghold. But none of us are 'that' powerful yet (meaning not 10th level).

So if GM gives us farmland and housing for free, if he would mention gp amount which we get for this I could build the house statically speaking and it includes also buying slaves/hiring personnel (like healer).

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 04:12:11 PM
Pity I had no space for animal growth for your tiger (or other tigers if you continue on as beastmaster). Perhaps UMD skill boosted will help it....maybe.

Thanks to Otherworldly, Ragnoss is actually a Native Outsider, so I don't think Animal Growth will work on him anymore, anyway. :P The Enchantment school does have one or two nice buffs in it, though, and you can also toss out plenty of debuffs on the enemy.

Warlock

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 08, 2014, 04:06:07 PM
And with that, my character sheet for Rima is complete.

There's no ''Use Rope'' it's now part of Escape Artist/Climb/Knowledge (Bondage) so that frees up 8 Skillpoints. xD

Kunoichi

Quote from: Warlock on August 08, 2014, 04:22:23 PM
There's no ''Use Rope'' it's now part of Escape Artist/Climb/Knowledge (Bondage) so that frees up 8 Skillpoints. xD

Ah, then I suppose it's time to see if we'll be making use of that variant rule from the Book of Erotic Fantasy where Perform (Sexual Techniques) is always considered a class skill for everyone. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 08, 2014, 04:20:00 PM
Thanks to Otherworldly, Ragnoss is actually a Native Outsider, so I don't think Animal Growth will work on him anymore, anyway. :P The Enchantment school does have one or two nice buffs in it, though, and you can also toss out plenty of debuffs on the enemy.

Oh yeah, that. Anyways I do have some nice investiture spells (one gives ability throw three 1d6+str mod dmg spikes as full round action as ranged attack to 60'ft and gives fire resistance, another gives +3 profane bonus to AC and attack rolls and it stacks up +3 each time when standing adjacent to person who has it also, share spell feature with your mount means flat +6 AC and attack rolls and fire resistance :P).

Also Brilliant Blade you likely love with your bow (unless vs constructs and undead). Also indeed enchantment spells got some nice buffs and I got haste picked out (I considered Sakkratas Triple Strike but decided stick on spell which I can do now and lasts more rounds and gives +30'ft speed on mobility and AC bonuses as well).

But mostly as illusionist I am trickery and debuf guy; I do plan get split ray metamagic feat somepoint so split ray on enervation is run >:)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 04:31:17 PM
Oh yeah, that. Anyways I do have some nice investiture spells (one gives ability throw three 1d6+str mod dmg spikes as full round action as ranged attack to 60'ft and gives fire resistance, another gives +3 profane bonus to AC and attack rolls and it stacks up +3 each time when standing adjacent to person who has it also, share spell feature with your mount means flat +6 AC and attack rolls and fire resistance :P).

Also Brilliant Blade you likely love with your bow (unless vs constructs and undead). Also indeed enchantment spells got some nice buffs and I got haste picked out (I considered Sakkratas Triple Strike but decided stick on spell which I can do now and lasts more rounds and gives +30'ft speed on mobility and AC bonuses as well).

But mostly as illusionist I am trickery and debuf guy; I do plan get split ray metamagic feat somepoint so split ray on enervation is run >:)

Unfortunately, the Share Spells ability only works for spells I cast myself, so unless the GM decides to be generous and rule that it also works for spells cast on me, you'd have to spend two castings to get those bonuses up.  If the GM does decide to be generous, though, that will certainly be a nice combat tactic.

And I'm afraid Rima doesn't have a bow at the moment.  If we wind up finding a nice one that she can use, I certainly wouldn't object to having her be allowed to keep it, but at present I think that Ragnoss is more than enough of a capable combatant while under her control.  The mounted combat rules are a bit vague and unclear anyway. ^^;

RubySlippers

Okay need to work out some things I'm not sure of the cost of her library she needs one so am thinking 5000gp since its limited to Thayan Law, she doesn't rule on Diplomatic matters she would likely just banish the offender from Thay to maintain Diplomatic relations while not accusing the other nation of blame.

Now she needs a symbol of office I'm thinking two things.

1. Am Amulet of the Red Wizards Faction since she represents Thay and the Zulkiers.

2. A Rod of Thayan Justice (no laughs) Used as a Mallet (when overseeing a hearing) and as a Symbol She Acts as an Agent of the Law (can get soldiers and the guards, other Thayans and the such to aid her in her duties when on a case).

Both magical after she wonderous items them up, the rod not a rod proper, just a magical object.

Kunoichi

Based on what I'm reading in the Stronghold Builder's Guide, 500 gp would get you a basic library, which would have two separate book lots in it, each one giving you a +2 circumstance bonus to a different subject.  Thayan Law would probably help out with Profession (Lawgiver) checks, or whatever skill winds up being relevant to that profession, and then the other one could be any other skill that books would help you out with.

Alternately, if you do want to spend 5,000 gp on it, there is a sidebar which suggests that you could purchase a more comprehensive set of books for that price that would provide you a +4 circumstance bonus to Thayan Law...

Re Z L

Are we planning to use the Concentration skill or do concentration checks like Pathfinder?
A&A

Re Z L

A&A

RubySlippers

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 08, 2014, 07:02:20 PM
Based on what I'm reading in the Stronghold Builder's Guide, 500 gp would get you a basic library, which would have two separate book lots in it, each one giving you a +2 circumstance bonus to a different subject.  Thayan Law would probably help out with Profession (Lawgiver) checks, or whatever skill winds up being relevant to that profession, and then the other one could be any other skill that books would help you out with.

Alternately, if you do want to spend 5,000 gp on it, there is a sidebar which suggests that you could purchase a more comprehensive set of books for that price that would provide you a +4 circumstance bonus to Thayan Law...

No need I'll take a Thayan Law books and Arcana to help her two knowledge skills. 500gp. Her brother likely would want books of his own. Its not like Thayan Law is complex Red Wizards tend to win in legal matters unless stupid, or to cheap to pay a fee for a legal evaluation and research of their case and the other party does. When its non-Red Wizards to others it gets more complicated. Non-Thayans barring a diplomatic protection lose every time to any citizen of Thay without a major fee to the court under the law of the Tharch triple the normal one. Even then the non-Thayan still may lose.

But she worships Kossuth so she has to give pain to Red Wizards to from time to time, to test them or show even the mighty is not above the law. Within reason.  Like family. >:)

Zaer Darkwail

Add in also factor that red wizards are all arcane casters some sort; so they can weasel out from legalistic just using spells to warp facts. Like cast enchantment spell to make person 'forget' he saw red wizard murdering someone in broad daylight. Or use magic to make person they want killed to do crime under a compulsion etc.

So you need pretty solid spellcraft and arcane lore to know all potential loopholes and bullshits able pulled out besides your profession skill if you plan play as lawyer in Thay :P. Only reason why you may not be killed is that your under zulkirs protection and if you die in anyway, it's heavily investigated and punished severely anyone involved (including Kossuth church doing divinations).

Ironwolf85

this is going to take longer than I'd like due to family and life.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 08, 2014, 10:42:11 PM
Add in also factor that red wizards are all arcane casters some sort; so they can weasel out from legalistic just using spells to warp facts. Like cast enchantment spell to make person 'forget' he saw red wizard murdering someone in broad daylight. Or use magic to make person they want killed to do crime under a compulsion etc.

So you need pretty solid spellcraft and arcane lore to know all potential loopholes and bullshits able pulled out besides your profession skill if you plan play as lawyer in Thay :P. Only reason why you may not be killed is that your under zulkirs protection and if you die in anyway, it's heavily investigated and punished severely anyone involved (including Kossuth church doing divinations).

Like I stated a Red Wizard to stupid to cover will deserve what she does, no one wants an idiot around but even she wouldn't kill one. Her main work will be between non-Red Wizards where magic is not likely to be an issue in many cases. And finding legal ways around the law for parties that ask her to do that for a generous fee and can pay for investigation by a third party say magic was used to make someone kill another and it can be traced to a Red Wizard again she may have to act. But that takes money and well Red Wizards screwing Red Wizards is usually outside the law - politics is politics. But if a commoner dies as a pawn she will likely have to fine the Red Wizard for a loss of income to the family losing the commoner if discovered. IF the key word.

Kunoichi

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 08, 2014, 10:07:55 PM
No need I'll take a Thayan Law books and Arcana to help her two knowledge skills. 500gp. Her brother likely would want books of his own. Its not like Thayan Law is complex Red Wizards tend to win in legal matters unless stupid, or to cheap to pay a fee for a legal evaluation and research of their case and the other party does. When its non-Red Wizards to others it gets more complicated. Non-Thayans barring a diplomatic protection lose every time to any citizen of Thay without a major fee to the court under the law of the Tharch triple the normal one. Even then the non-Thayan still may lose.

But she worships Kossuth so she has to give pain to Red Wizards to from time to time, to test them or show even the mighty is not above the law. Within reason.  Like family. >:)

Actually, reading over the rules a little more closely, I realized that I screwed up. ^^; Paying 500 gp merely gets you the space to store two lots of books and somewhere to look through them comfortably for research purposes.  Presumably, you'd already get at least storage space for free in the house provided by the GM, so you wouldn't pay that.  Each lot of books costs 1,000 gp for a circumstance bonus to a single skill, though, which is still cheaper than the 5,000 you were planning to spend.

And if giving other people pain is what you want to do, you should totally worship Loviatar instead. :P She's Lawful Evil, you could easily still keep your alignment and everything.

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on August 08, 2014, 10:48:01 PM
this is going to take longer than I'd like due to family and life.

Ah, that's too bad to hear.  I was going to suggest that your Illithid and Re Z L's Thrallherd could totally run some sort of secret cult together.  You're both psions, after all.

RubySlippers

No Kossuth is fine a good and solid Thayan deity that is well regarded. 2000gp works one for the Thayan Law books and codex likely a lot of it favoring for some reason Red Wizards and Arcana will do.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Re Z L on August 08, 2014, 09:42:04 PM
Working on it still, but here's the beginning of a lovely Thrallherd  ;D

By the way, we're still using 3.5's system for skill ranks, so the maximum you can put in any of your skills is 11, rather than 8.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on August 09, 2014, 12:47:45 AM
By the way, we're still using 3.5's system for skill ranks, so the maximum you can put in any of your skills is 11, rather than 8.

Oh? We do? Did not know :P. But then again no need change anything as I still qualify for my PrC's in present ranks. But does it mean we also get x4 skill points in first level? If so, I have lots points to spend at least  XD

Kunoichi

Yep, x4 points at first level.  Of course, those usually wind up going into skills you've already invested in so you can have them at maximum rank...

Zaer Darkwail

Which three important are spellcraft, concentration and K:arcana and they were 8 ranks each already.

Zaer Darkwail

Wait....if we use normal skill rank system then we do not get +3 bonus to skill which is class skill and have invested rank on it right?

Kunoichi

Correct.  That's a Pathfinder thing, and we're only using Pathfinder's skill consolidations, not the full Pathfinder skill system.