Non-Smut DnD 3.5 Game Desired in the Forgotten Realms

Started by RubySlippers, May 22, 2018, 06:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

I kind of want to just play a good old fashioned DnD 3.5 game starting at lower levels maybe 3rd and where we can abuse a lot of the material if players want to. And something like the friends all are out of apprenticeships or after some experience decide to form an adventuring company and go off adventuring.

Sardr

A bit late perhaps, but I would love to.
I am a player in a monthly tabletop game, and in an online pbp game (both 5e), so I would really enjoy DM'ing, if you don't mind.
Is there any specific reason you prefer 3.5 to 5e or Pathfinder? I own the 3.5 core books (and some Eberron books, but that won't help us), so 3.5 is fine.

If you are itching to get going, we could start a solo game and give you one or two cohorts to aid you.
Also, is there a specific region in the Forgotten Realms you prefer? I am mainly (as most anyone) familiar with the Sword Coast region. I think I could go to Chult or Amn, but I have little to no knowledge beyond that. Also, be advised that I have only ever read two FR novels, one of which I put down (not a fan of Salvatore's writing style).

Let me know what you think.

RubySlippers

DnD 5e is okay but 3.5 allows for some pretty great options for Wizards however 5e has some things going for it the one problem is so many characters seem to be cookie cutter ones take Wizards once you level up some there are a large number of prestige classes and the character creation has interesting options and one class stands out to aim for a Red Wizard of Thay. I can see a lower level one out of their home nation interested in avoiding the backstabbing and politicking back home to gain magical talents.

But 5e with the expanding books offer cool options to so if you have lots of the books it might be a nice choice to but I play that table top so would prefer not to go there.

Sardr

True, the amount of prestige classes in 3.5 is dazzling. Most variation in characters in 5e comes from fluff and roleplaying rather than the variety of feats and skills.
I own just six 5e books, and 12 books for 3.5 (including the Eberron ones).

Let's go with 3.5. I am assuming you are planning to play the Red Wizard class from the DMG 2?

RubySlippers

Someday, my friend, someday ... is this pre-Spell Plague or after and the end of the Zulkiers to Ssazz Tam. I still plan to be a Thayan Red Wizard whose maybe a merchant leaning but she will be patriotic if the Lich is supreme ruler you either side with him or not if not then never come home unless you plan a fight.   ;D

In practice she would be a Middle Manager sort of Red Wizard happy to work for the boss right now adventuring to get some power honed and ready herself to return home at some point.

Well in the noble tradition dice rolling is it 4d6 drop the lowest re-roll 1's or some other dice rolling method?

Sardr

I have little interest in the Spellplague, so my preference would go to pre-Spellplague or perhaps post-Sundering.

I'm fine with that method of character creation. My personal favourite is working with standard arrays or using point buy. If I won't be playing, it doesn't really matter much to me. As long as you are able to create an interesting and (at least somewhat) useful character.
If we are doing a solo game, I'm happy to play off your background and your character's goals. Priorities might get changed out somewhat depending on what I will throw your way, though, and if your own (temporary) scope changes focus.
If you want to play a character that leans towards mercantilism somewhat, perhaps we could start you off with investigating what happened with one of your recent shipments, as it seemingly disappeared enroute from A to B. Do you have any ideas I could incorporate to flesh things out a little?

RubySlippers

Well she would likely base out of a Thayan Enclave, its Thayan soil when in it and its the system of front centers of honorable and good Thayan Commerce throughout the many realms maybe even Shou well magic gates would be a fine way to move Shou exotic goods to the Sword Coast and well many other places.

4d6 dropping 1's removing the lowest die got these scores

Str   12
Dex  16
Con 13
Int  16
Wis 11
Cha  14

So well not bad and lets make her a Conjurer 3rd Level, tons of evil options there I mean in a good way. And due to her Int no one back home like the Zulkier will consider her a threat she can't use the most powerful spells 7th to 9th level. But good enough that she's not a push over long term as in a middling power level mage. Let's consider her future a respectable station of achievement is possible.

Sardr

Third level would be fine. Starting from first level loses its appeal quickly, I find. I prefer starting at second or third level myself.

How about we base you in Waterdeep? There is a Thayan enclave in the Castle Ward you could work out of. I'm not an expert on the Red Wizards, though. I will do my best to represent them, but I'm bound to make a few mistakes.

RubySlippers

Well they come in two kinds the merchants and administrators and functionaries think they are not particular capable wizards but not crap or who get the robes to 'make it' back home since they then are harder to mess with (assaulting one is an immediate death sentence) inside enclaves its native soil so Thayan Law applies. Then the power houses the ones seeking Zulkiership or other lofty goals and these tend to be the deadly ones who would need to defend against rivals all the time while fighting their way up the food chain.

She would not be the latter kind.

Right now she isn't a Red Wizard she would be a good prospect and not 'threatening' to anyone likely yet that's the problem back home so would be traveling.

Waterdeep is fine, the Enclave is home after all and an embassy and trading center and they would likely be a good market to sell valued things recovered adventuring and trade them for magical knowledge.

Sardr

Waterdeep it is, then.
How would you like adventures and challenges presented? Shall we utilise the 'notice board in the tavern' concept?: "Troll has taken up residence under a remote bridge, cutting off the hamlet of Wellspring. Village elders promise a reward upon providing proof of its demise."

Or do you prefer to have your own motivations, so to speak? E.g. figuring out a way to sabotage the latest project of a business rival, finding out about a Zhentarim shipment of Shou relics and planning a break and entry job to liberate them, one of your valued customers has vanished while visiting Skullport and your superior suggests you go fetch him if you value your employment. I could riff off your background, any friends and acquaintances you will have made in your time in Waterdeep, particular interests you have developed, etc.

RubySlippers

Mostly like the first she would look for work she is not a Red Wizard until she gets five levels in her Wizard class and then get one level of Red Wizard once she has the robes on she moves to Thayan leadership even if a low cog in the machine but in an Enclave would be deferred to ... for now she is crap inside the enclave and needs to forge her powers.

So the first please, on the plus side she could get ample work to keep busy and gain magical power and knowledge.

RubySlippers

Sardr

Great. :)
I will create a thread somewhere this week (Monday or Tuesday, time permitting) and we will be off.

For posterity: should anyone else be interested in joining, would you like to leave us open to joiners, or lock it and do a one on one?

RubySlippers

Sardr

Short heads up. Lothoris PM'ed me about being interested in this. I'm a bit busy this week, but should have some time this weekend to organise a few things and write a proper opener.

Lothoris

Hello Sardr said I could join up. Going with basic core races? As what will the general alignment of the party be? Standard neutral good?

RubySlippers

Red Wizards CANNOT be good aligned so am a nice steady and reliable Lawful Neutral.  O:) 

Lothoris

Ok few character ideas:
Kobold druid with dinosaur companion, dragonborn paladin of bahamut, elven loremaster or wizard, dwarven cleric,

RubySlippers

Well she is a Thayan if you end up visiting her homeland, easily through magical gates at most major Thayan Enclaves including being inside one, there could be rampant slavery and commoners being stepped on if they 'offend' a Red Wizard and such which wouldn't have as big an issue with that and knowing there humans trump non-humans as in Kobold's are normally slaves? Just saying she herself has problems with slavery but not the 'fact of slavery' its in her homeland a 'threat to nations security and ill will of other peoples towards Thay' the fact they enslave people as a matter of law isn't for her a problem. In fact if they limited it and used dirt cheap paid labor or some kind of sharecropping system which she endorses and treat poor people who are free like crap it would be fine with her. Back home she might even keep some sex slaves while using paid Thayan free labor for everything else.  ;D

I'm not sure if a Paladin would like her much.

Lothoris

I think if we are gona end up in thay for some portion of the adventure and your character would be ok with most things Thay'ish then the Paladin would probably be out.  I think ill work up the kobold.
Party preference animal companion of raptor, allosaurous, or ankleosourus.

RubySlippers

I think any will work, as long as it can handle conjured creatures, eventually they may become unnatural more and more.   ;D

But I can do other kinds of magic to.

Lothoris

Few magic items and spells to boost its damage potential+ animal companions natural progression. 

Lothoris

would it be alright if I used one of these with the statblock of a riding dog?

RubySlippers

Oh its so gosh darn cute. (tosses it a beef rib from a distance)

Lothoris

Ok. Think im done, i still have 600+ gp to spend (based on wealth by character level) but I think ill bank that twords a magic item.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1623001 Ip'kak

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1623099 Turok the Savage Ip'kak's animal companion.

Also are we going to worry about item weight and invintory capacity?  If we are ill need to get a packmule and npc handler.