The Site itself

Started by LamentingQuill, April 11, 2024, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexandria

The site upgraded in October; it's been a long time without major fixes. I'm for whatever is the most efficient and expedient way to achieve the following:

• Dark mode/skins (preferably with several options, but a basic dark mode to start with would be great) that do not require browser extensions as they are not a viable option for many users.
    º This could be achieved by enabling users to create their own skins, which is a SMF function to my understanding, and would not actually require the time spent on making the skins. Just giving the ability for others to develop them for the site.
    º I understand that the reasoning for not enabling this is because there’s a desire to bring the 3 column format back. However, the dark mode is a quality of life feature whereas the 3 column layout is merely aesthetics. Logical prioritization means aesthetics need to come last, functionality needs to be first.

• Some sort of fix regarding the editor/preview issues many of us have been running into, specifically:
    º [modify] adding junk code or giving out-of-control autocorrect vibes
    º [quick edit] freezing for long periods of time
    º the HR line code breaking formatting

• Bookmarks. Alerts and Watched threads, while great for some, are just not a sufficient workaround for many of us.

I think these are three biggest asks I've seen for restoring quality of life features for E.  Most people seem to agree these are the current priorities. If these three things were fixed, I don't think another major change in forum software is needed, unless there's quality of life elements only Xenforo might sufficiently address. But even if that is the case, what is needed now are the restoration of the three items listed above.

If help is needed for coding, perhaps a banner could be put up to see about finding some volunteers to assist?

steelsmiter

Quote from: Lexandria on April 20, 2024, 12:32:46 AMThe site upgraded in October; it's been a long time without major fixes. I'm for whatever is the most efficient and expedient way to achieve the following:

• Dark mode/skins (preferably with several options, but a basic dark mode to start with would be great) that do not require browser extensions as they are not a viable option for many users.
    º This could be achieved by enabling users to create their own skins, which is a SMF function to my understanding, and would not actually require the time spent on making the skins. Just giving the ability for others to develop them for the site.
    º I understand that the reasoning for not enabling this is because there’s a desire to bring the 3 column format back. However, the dark mode is a quality of life feature whereas the 3 column layout is merely aesthetics. Logical prioritization means aesthetics need to come last, functionality needs to be first.

• Some sort of fix regarding the editor/preview issues many of us have been running into, specifically:

• Bookmarks. Alerts and Watched threads, while great for some, are just not a sufficient workaround for many of us.
That would be cool. You brought up something else interesting for me: I would like to be able to make a list and indent entries on it without doing individual manual spaces. Not picky one way or the other whether each level has a different character, but it threw me that you weren't using the li and /li codes that the list button injects.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Lexandria

I write everything in the rudimentary word processing application that comes with most computers and manually create the indents and lists I want. I've memorized the hotkeys that give the simple bullet points. Or if I want a fancier one I'll search it up and add it to my list of symbols I've either memorized or have in a reference document to copy and paste. That way I have complete control of how it looks. Then I just copy/paste it over here to post.

Amaris

Quote from: Lexandria on April 20, 2024, 12:32:46 AMThe site upgraded in October; it's been a long time without major fixes. I'm for whatever is the most efficient and expedient way to achieve the following:

I think these are three biggest asks I've seen for restoring quality of life features for E.  Most people seem to agree these are the current priorities. If these three things were fixed, I don't think another major change in forum software is needed, unless there's quality of life elements only Xenforo might sufficiently address. But even if that is the case, what is needed now are the restoration of the three items listed above.

If help is needed for coding, perhaps a banner could be put up to see about finding some volunteers to assist?

This said most of what I was trying to say as well.

PeachyPie

Quote from: steelsmiter on April 20, 2024, 11:49:56 AMThat would be cool. You brought up something else interesting for me: I would like to be able to make a list and indent entries on it without doing individual manual spaces. Not picky one way or the other whether each level has a different character, but it threw me that you weren't using the li and /li codes that the list button injects.

So, I'm not 100% that this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps if so! Anyway, you can actually indent list entries without doing it manually - you just have to create a parent list, then nest sub-lists inside of it.

• Outer List 1
    • Indented List
    • Indented List
  • Outer List 2
    • Indented List
    • Indented List

[list]
[li]Outer List 1
[list]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[/list]
[/li]

[li]Outer List 2
[list]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[/list]
[/li]
[/list]

You can also change the symbol for each li by giving the list a type= attribute. I don't know what the types are, though.

steelsmiter

Quote from: PeachyPie on April 22, 2024, 05:18:12 PMSo, I'm not 100% that this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps if so! Anyway, you can actually indent list entries without doing it manually - you just have to create a parent list, then nest sub-lists inside of it.

• Outer List 1
    • Indented List
    • Indented List
  • Outer List 2
    • Indented List
    • Indented List

[list]
[li]Outer List 1[list]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[/list][/li]
[li]Outer List 2[list]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[li]Indented List[/li]
[/list][/li]
[/list]

You can also change the symbol for each li by giving the list a type= attribute. I don't know what the types are, though.

What I'm looking for is a button where you can be completely stupid about code, click the button and indent the list. I could maybe do that on a good brain day. I can click buttons all day long though.
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Unholy

These are admittedly the three things I would say are also in my 'top three' wishlist. :D

Probably in this actual order. What I would not give for a dark mode without having to deal with an extension! 🙏

Azy

I would really love to see the bookmarks come back.  I'm one of those people who  has trouble keeping track of things, and that feature made things so much easier.  The three column format made it easier to find what I'm looking for, but I don't consider it a high priority. 

Sara Nilsson

Bookmark.

The rest is gravy, but bookmarks are a must tbh. It is so annoying not having them. The rest, the layout and lack of dark mode is something I can live without.

Eva

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on April 24, 2024, 06:29:31 PMBookmark.

The rest is gravy, but bookmarks are a must tbh. It is so annoying not having them. The rest, the layout and lack of dark mode is something I can live without.
I 100% agree.

Lexandria

Dark Mode is an accessibility issue that affects equity of experience between users when using the site.

RedPhoenix

Completely agree. If I didn't have the ability to make a dark mode with my browser I would probably have stopped using the site. We shouldn't just assume everyone is willing to find their own dark mode, especially new members.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

ChaoticSky

I would say Xen, even if its not a smooth transition, a clean break is better than an ongoing annoyance.