Numenera, Interest Check

Started by Jaded, July 31, 2014, 11:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

I'm curious if there would be any interest in a Numenera game?  I'd be willing to run it, or just as happy to play in it, or both.  I have a few possible plots in mind, though am admittedly new to the system. 

I would be limiting it to probably 3-6 characters if I was running it, my preference is NC-Exotic but with a focus on actual plot.  However I am open to discussion on that. 

Before I put a bunch of effort into developing it, I thought I'd check to see if anyone even owns the system, let alone is interested.  Let me know!  Thanks.

Jezabelle

I'm certainly game, although I only know the setting in passing; how much materiale would prospective players have to scrounge up and study up with for this RP?

ChaoticSky

Me! I love numenera, and would be happy to join such a game!

Jaded

Quote from: Jezabelle on August 01, 2014, 11:37:51 PM
I'm certainly game, although I only know the setting in passing; how much materiale would prospective players have to scrounge up and study up with for this RP?

The Core Rulebook would probably be ideal, however you may be able to get by with the Amber Monolith (free I believe, and also located in the Core Rulebook) which the book tends to recommend just to get a bit of a sense for the setting, as well as the Player's Guide (has excerpts and similar from the main book, enough to create a character I believe). 

Quote from: Darkling on August 02, 2014, 12:07:17 AM
Me! I love numenera, and would be happy to join such a game!

Sounds good.  Thanks for your interest :-)  Hopefully we can get one or two more. 

Jezabelle

Quote from: Jaded on August 02, 2014, 01:51:48 AM
The Core Rulebook would probably be ideal, however you may be able to get by with the Amber Monolith (free I believe, and also located in the Core Rulebook) which the book tends to recommend just to get a bit of a sense for the setting, as well as the Player's Guide (has excerpts and similar from the main book, enough to create a character I believe). 

Good good!  Put me down for it then, I aught to be able to cobble up a character and get a grasp of the mechanics.

Cold Heritage

I've got the material but beyond the extreme basics of the setting (i.e. it's post-apocalyptic with fantasy flourishes and there's robots and mutants) and "you're an adjective noun who verbs" I don't know anything. But I'm willing to read on through and try, if that's not too little to be involved (and I can understand if it would be).
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

ThisOneGal

I too am interested; I backed the kickstarter, but my group won't play anything but DnD...

This might be of interest to the GM: http:// thealexandrian.net/wordpress/35363/roleplaying-games/numenera-calibrating-your-expectations

Jaded

Quote from: Jezabelle on August 02, 2014, 02:26:27 AM
Good good!  Put me down for it then, I aught to be able to cobble up a character and get a grasp of the mechanics.

Sounds good :-)

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 02, 2014, 03:05:27 AM
I've got the material but beyond the extreme basics of the setting (i.e. it's post-apocalyptic with fantasy flourishes and there's robots and mutants) and "you're an adjective noun who verbs" I don't know anything. But I'm willing to read on through and try, if that's not too little to be involved (and I can understand if it would be).

You are welcome to join if you'd like. :-) 

Quote from: ThisOneGal on August 02, 2014, 02:11:19 PM
I too am interested; I backed the kickstarter, but my group won't play anything but DnD...

This might be of interest to the GM: http:// thealexandrian.net/wordpress/35363/roleplaying-games/numenera-calibrating-your-expectations

Thanks for joining :-)  Yeah, I have the same issue with my group and Pathfinder.  Thanks for the link, it is interesting. :-)

Could everyone provide the “I am a [fill in an adjective here] [fill in a noun here] who [fill in a verb here]." for me?  As well as anything else you have in mind for your character.  You are welcome to use the Character Options book if you have it. 

Jezabelle: “I am a [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]."
Darkling: “I am a [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]."
Cold Heritage: “I am a [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]."
ThisOneGal: “I am a [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]."

What content rating do people prefer?

Cold Heritage

I was thinking "I'm a Hardy Glaive Who Performs Feats Of Strength."

In terms of content rating, I'd prefer light. I would not object to the game going in one of the NC areas so long as my character isn't subject to being NC'd (and, I suppose, even then I suppose it could be my character could be NC'd if it didn't involve the character being penetrated).

Jezabelle

"I am a Stealthy Jack who works the back alleys." 

I was playing around with a char gen online and dotted M\S\I to 10\16\12, but this is the exercise of a mewling babe, as it were.

ThisOneGal

"I am a Strong-Willed Jack who RIDES THE LIGHTNING."
I'm pretty sure that's a terrible build, but whatever. It sounds awesome.

Content rating... light-ish? I'm not averse to doing anything heavier/darker, but I kind of just want to do something 'fun'.

Jezabelle

Oh yeah, content; NC is cool but obVii nonCon requires OOC con or it's very unCooL\\Light is fine too though, depends on the kind of story you want to tell.  A lighthearted adventure ought to not have too much darkness, but it's w/e.

ChaoticSky

Oh so many possibilities, since we lack a nano however, i shall consider that.

How do you feel about Visitants, and more specifically, a Dirluk?

As for content, im up for Ex, so anything under that is also fine by me. XD

Cold Heritage

Am I reading things right when I get the impression that the Might pool pulls double duty as a resource pool (that Glaives spend points from for some of their stuff, and people spend points from to do Might stuff) and as hit points?

Jaded

Jezabelle: "I am a Stealthy Jack who works the back alleys."
Darkling: “I am a [adjective] [noun] who [verbs]."
Cold Heritage: "I'm a Hardy Glaive Who Performs Feats Of Strength."
ThisOneGal: "I am a Strong-Willed Jack who RIDES THE LIGHTNING."

They all sound good so far. :-)  Better to play something fun/interesting in my opinion than something min/maxed.  But admittedly I am a bit sore on that topic from my tabletop group. 

Quote from: Darkling on August 02, 2014, 11:46:22 PM
How do you feel about Visitants, and more specifically, a Dirluk?

I'd prefer to keep characters as humans for now.  I'm not entirely sure how I'd include Visitants yet. 

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 02, 2014, 11:50:24 PM
Am I reading things right when I get the impression that the Might pool pulls double duty as a resource pool (that Glaives spend points from for some of their stuff, and people spend points from to do Might stuff) and as hit points?

Yes.  You spent points from your pools to use abilities, put in effort, and similar, and when you take damage it hits your pools (though you have 4 health levels, when a pool reaches 0 you start losing from a different pool).  Page 93 has an explanation of how that works if you have the core rulebook. 

Hmm.  I may toss it in a NC section just in case anyone wants a scene in that direction at some point, but will in general try to keep it light.  I am still trying to decide on a precise plot, but my current thought is that the group were hired (separately or together) to guard a caravan heading to a remote oasis town in the Seshar Desert.  When they arrive, they find that the population of the town is living in tents outside of the town's walls, and a strange glow is emanating from within.  The story will probably start with the group being approached by an Aeon Priest asking for their aid. 

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Jaded on August 03, 2014, 12:08:01 AMI'd prefer to keep characters as humans for now.  I'm not entirely sure how I'd include Visitants yet. 
Aw no love for the rock people.

But, in that case; A Inquisitive Nano who Possesses A Shard Of The Sun

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Jaded on August 03, 2014, 12:08:01 AM
Hmm.  I may toss it in a NC section just in case anyone wants a scene in that direction at some point, but will in general try to keep it light.  I am still trying to decide on a precise plot, but my current thought is that the group were hired (separately or together) to guard a caravan heading to a remote oasis town in the Seshar Desert.  When they arrive, they find that the population of the town is living in tents outside of the town's walls, and a strange glow is emanating from within.  The story will probably start with the group being approached by an Aeon Priest asking for their aid.

That works for me.

ThisOneGal

QuoteHmm.  I may toss it in a NC section just in case anyone wants a scene in that direction at some point, but will in general try to keep it light.
Sounds good. As I said, I'm fine with going beyond soft/light stuff, but I don't have to if people don't want to.

I am still trying to decide on a precise plot, but my current thought is that the group were hired (separately or together) to guard a caravan heading to a remote oasis town in the Seshar Desert.  When they arrive, they find that the population of the town is living in tents outside of the town's walls, and a strange glow is emanating from within.  The story will probably start with the group being approached by an Aeon Priest asking for their aid.

If it's helpful, this is what I rolled for background stuff.

Initial Link to the Starting Adventure:
1  Against your better judgment, you joined the other PCs because you saw that they were in danger.

JACK CONNECTION
2  Your older sister is a skilled nano. You weren’t able to follow her path, but the numenera is not unknown to you.

ORIGIN OF SPECIAL POWERS
87 (81–00) Unknown (GM can secretly roll again and keep the result hidden)

Also, I'll need someone for my Ride the Lightning thing:
Connection: Pick one other PC. This character has been your friend for a long time, and you have learned to bring her along when you ride the lightning. If the character is standing right next to you, you can take her with you when you use the Bolt Rider or Electrical Flight powers. (Normally, neither ability allows you to transport other creatures.)

Cold Heritage

Here's my background stuff. I'm assuming that we'll all at least speak The Truth. Will we all come from the same kingdom in the Steadfast, or is that kind of thing up to us individually (or maybe it won't matter so much)?

Initial Link to the Starting Adventure:
2. You join the PCs because you want or need the money.

GLAIVE CONNECTION
11 Your older sibling is an infamous glaive who has been disgraced.

I'm not sure what I would do for my focus connection yet. I'll figure something else when more people chime in so I can get an idea of what would be interesting.

Jaded

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=210490.0

I put up an OOC thread for discussion of how to bring the characters together and similar. 

Jezabelle: "I am a Stealthy Jack who works the back alleys."
Darkling: “I am an Inquisitive Nano who Possesses A Shard Of The Sun."
Cold Heritage: "I'm a Hardy Glaive Who Performs Feats Of Strength."
ThisOneGal: "I am a Strong-Willed Jack who RIDES THE LIGHTNING."

Quote from: Darkling on August 03, 2014, 01:18:50 AM
But, in that case; A Inquisitive Nano who Possesses A Shard Of The Sun

Sounds good :-)

Against your better judgment, you joined the other PCs because you saw that they were in danger.
You join the PCs because you want or need the money.

These two could both work fairly well with the caravan start.  :-)

Quote from: Cold Heritage on August 03, 2014, 04:42:21 PM
Here's my background stuff. I'm assuming that we'll all at least speak The Truth. Will we all come from the same kingdom in the Steadfast, or is that kind of thing up to us individually (or maybe it won't matter so much)?

Everyone would be able to speak the Truth.  I won't require that everyone is from the same Kingdom, or even that they knew each other in advance, though they certainly could if people prefer it that way. 

Sahariel

I love this setting. I picked up the core book because of the upcoming PC game based on Torment. Are you still looking for players?

Jaded

I would be willing to accept one more person as long as they are playing a Glaive.  :-)

Jaded