Interest Check-Scion (now closed to new recruitment)

Started by Empyrean, September 20, 2010, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I tend to do the same, but at hero you can branch out a bit. By the time you're getting up into demigod level powers, the xp costs means you have to narrow your focus.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

fallensaviour

so silly question, what would be the relic cost for a relic that summons other relics/birthrights? ie a ps2 controler i type codes into that causes the other items to appear?

HairyHeretic

1 dot power. I've only seen it as one item tied to one other though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

fallensaviour

right...but one dot per item summoned or one dot total

HairyHeretic

Therein lies the question. The Companion says this "Link a single Birthright to the Relic’s use; must expend 1 Legend"

Theoretically you could take it multiple times, and the GM might want to give you a points break on it. That'd be his call though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

fallensaviour

hairy, regardless of anything else, its always fun to discuss mechanics with you :D

HairyHeretic

I'm happy to go through mechanics, but every GM has their own way of doing things. Since I'm not the one running this, I wouldn't be able to give you a definite yay or nay on it :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

On the amount of XP we've got to play with, I'm not sure I could have specialized at the Hero level if I tried.  Having to actually buy normal Attributes past 5 to support the Epics is the real killer. >_>

(I guess I could have gotten more Boons instead, but it seems like even the useful Purviews tend to fall flat around the 4-5 level.)

HairyHeretic

In my preliminary planning, there are 14 hero level boons I would ideally want to take, and 10 demigod level. Odds are I'll need to prune a few of those out, even with 300 XP at each level. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Depends what else you're buying (and whether any of those Boons are sequential), really.  Although I'm guessing some of the demigod Boons are going to have to go unless you really don't like Epic Attributes.  ;)

HairyHeretic

Yeah, I know. And I forgot my PSP there too, so that's another 7 boons to add to the total :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Empyrean

QuoteTherein lies the question. The Companion says this "Link a single Birthright to the Relic’s use; must expend 1 Legend"

Theoretically you could take it multiple times, and the GM might want to give you a points break on it. That'd be his call though.

I'm going to say that it would be one birthright per dot. So if you have say, a relic sword linked to the controller, then that's 1 dot to link the two and 1 legend to summon the sword. A relic ring would be another dot and also cost only 1 Legend to summon when you put the code in.

Incidentally, that controller and you got it sounds really cool! :)

Jefepato

Here's a preliminary character sheet.  (Some degree of backstory and explanations for the variety of Relics (and why in hell an Aesir Scion would pal around with a wolf) will be forthcoming.)  In retrospect, I probably should have tracked BP/XP expenditures more closely -- I can pretty easily redo it if you'd like to see the numbers accounted for, Empyrean.

(I wasn't sure if Beowulf was a sufficiently "minor" God to be a Guide, since he does have Legend 12, but his description in the Ragnarok book made him sound like a good candidate.)

QuoteName: Amy Kalder
Calling: Extreme Sports Fanatic
Pantheon: Aesir
Player: Jefepato
Nature: Competitor
God: Uller

Attributes:
Strength 5
Dexterity 7
Stamina 5
Charisma 5
Manipulation 3
Appearance 5
Perception 5
Intelligence 5
Wits 5

Abilities:
Academics 3
*Animal Ken 5
Art (Dance) 1
Art (Music) 1
*Athletics 5
Awareness 3
Brawl 3
Command 1
Control (Skis) 1
Control (Snowboard) 1
Empathy 2
Fortitude 3
Integrity 3
Investigation 1
Larceny 1
*Marksmanship 5
Medicine 1
*Melee 5
Occult 2
Politics 1
Presence 2
Science (Physics) 1
*Stealth 5
*Survival 5
Thrown 3

Birthrights:
Creature 2 (wolf)
Relic 3 (charm bracelet with snjar, valdyr, and stjarna runes, grants access to Animal (Arctic Wolf), Frost and Stars Purviews)
Relic 2 (anklets, grant access to Illusion and Sky Purviews)
Relic 5 (Fenris Arms revolver; as Peacemaker with +2 Accuracy, +2 damage, and grants access to War Purview)
Relic 2 (silver drinking bowl; summons/dismisses wolf ally and can revive him)
Relic 5 (as bulletproof vest with Armor of Achilles effect, -1 fatigue, +1 soak, and ability to change form to blend in with any clothing)
Guide 5 (Beowulf)
Relic 3 (iGjallar (grants Psychopomp Purview, gets reception anywhere) with Beowulf on speed-dial)

Epic Attributes:
Epic Strength 5 (Crushing Grip, Holy Bound, Holy Rampage, Hurl to the Horizon, Uplifting Might)
Epic Dexterity 7 (And the Crowd Goes Wild, Cat's Grace, Divine Balance, Escape Artist, Lightning Sprinter, Fast as Thought, Perfect Partner, Roll With It, Untouchable Opponent)
Epic Stamina 5 (Damage Conversion, Holy Fortitude, Self-Healing, Regeneration, Raise Your Glass)
Epic Charisma 5 (Benefit of the Doubt, Blessing of Importance, BFF, Charmer, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)
Epic Manipulation 2 (Gods' Honest, Takes One to Know One)
Epic Appearance 4 (Center of Attention, Game Face, Serpent's Gaze, Compelling Presence)
Epic Perception 5 (Fool Me Once..., Predatory Focus, Supernal Hunter, Telescopic Senses, Spatial Attunement)
Epic Intelligence 5 (Blockade of Reason, Fight With Your Head, Language Mastery, Instant Translation, Perfect Memory)
Epic Wits 4 (Jack of All Trades, Meditative Focus, Rabbit Reflexes, Monkey in the Middle)

Boons:
Animal (Arctic Wolf) 3 - Animal Communication, Animal Command, Animal Aspect
Frost 4 - Frost Immunity, Uller's Stride, Hrimthurssar's Touch, Frozen Panoply
Illusion 1 - The Subtle Knife
Sky 4 - Sky's Grace, Wind's Freedom, Storm Augmentation, Divine Threnody
War 5 - Blessing of Bravery, Battle Cry, Warrior Ideal (Action Heroine), Battle Map, Mortal Stroke
Jotunblut 7 - Heroic Stature, Giant Among Men, Form of the Giant, Gift of Blood, Giant Among Demigods, Hounds of War, Form of the Jotun

Virtues:
Courage 3
Endurance 2
Expression 2
Loyalty 5

Willpower: 10/10
Legend: 8
Legend Points: 64/64

avorae

Hey I was wondering if the Tennyo was ok to take as a Guide.

Here is the site that t is listed at....
http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Tennyo
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Empyrean

Avorae: Looks good to me and it would make sense for the daughter of Amaterasu to have one as a guide/assistant. :)

Jefepato

Any problems with my sheet so far, Empyrean?

Empyrean

Most of it looks good. I do wonder why her Control (Skis and Snowboards) is so low for an extreme sports fanatic. Do I understand the concept correctly when I ask if Amy was some sort of sports star or professional athlete prior to her Visitation?

What is the Armor of Achilles effect?

Can you explain more about her wolf? It seems to be an important part of her character. Also, are you planning to upgrade the wolf at some point? I'm a bit concerned that her wolf might not be able to survive at this level of play without some sort of enhancement.

Beowulf seems like a cool Guide. :)

Jefepato

Quote from: Empyrean on September 27, 2010, 10:01:24 PM
Most of it looks good. I do wonder why her Control (Skis and Snowboards) is so low for an extreme sports fanatic.

Mostly because it didn't occur to me that I needed Control skills for those until I was almost out of XP and happened to notice that Uller is statted with Control (Skis) 5.  I was thinking mainly in terms of Athletics for sports.  (Realistically, she should probably have at least minimal points in Control (Automobile) too.)

(I really don't understand the logic in how they decided which Abilities require specialties and which don't.)

Do I understand the concept correctly when I ask if Amy was some sort of sports star or professional athlete prior to her Visitation?

More of an enthusiastic amateur, really, although she might have developed some amount of notoriety if that suits the story (especially once her Epic Dexterity/Charisma kicked in).

What is the Armor of Achilles effect?

The Armor of Achilles is a relic used by Victor Fingers (page 308 in the Hero book).  It greatly augments the Damage Conversion knack.  (It does seem a bit powerful, so if you'd rather disallow it I'd understand.)

Can you explain more about her wolf? It seems to be an important part of her character. Also, are you planning to upgrade the wolf at some point? I'm a bit concerned that her wolf might not be able to survive at this level of play without some sort of enhancement.

I'm working on the details, but the gist is that she has a bond with wolves due to being a Scion of the god of winter and hunting.  The plan was to use Jotunblut 6 (Hounds of War) to turn it nemean if it was meant to accomplish anything.

Even a nemean wolf is pretty much a joke in high-end demigod combat, but unless I'm missing something, that's true of absolutely anything you can buy with the Creature Birthright (same goes for Followers).  There's a reason she's got a Relic to bring it back to life.  :P

All that said, I might redo the sheet to get her Ability scores into a more sensible spread.  ...Especially since I only just noticed that Beowulf has Teaching Prodigy, which might change things just a bit.  :D

Empyrean

QuoteMore of an enthusiastic amateur, really, although she might have developed some amount of notoriety if that suits the story (especially once her Epic Dexterity/Charisma kicked in).

*nod* It makes sense that as her Epic Dex and Charisma kicked in she would develop some sort of fame if she pursued her hobbies on any sort of professional level. It would certainly help build her Legend in the mortal world. ^_^

QuoteThe Armor of Achilles is a relic used by Victor Fingers (page 308 in the Hero book).  It greatly augments the Damage Conversion knack.  (It does seem a bit powerful, so if you'd rather disallow it I'd understand.)

It is pretty powerful and I'm a bit concerned about it's last effect (downgrading agg damage to lethal). That said, I'm willing to allow it and see how it works out in play.

As for the wolves, sounds good to me. :) If I may make a suggestion? It appears that she has Illusion but so far I can't tell why with the concept you've presented. If she's to be a Goddess of wolves (or something connected to them) maybe ditching Illusion for another dot in Animal (wolves) might be helpful. I won't stop you from taking Illusion if you really want it. I was just observing there. :)

Wheresmycow

Is there room in this game?  I'd like to play a trickster/swashbuckler kind of character, maybe from the Greek pantheon.  I've got the books, so I'm good with the rules and such.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Jefepato

Quote from: Empyrean on September 27, 2010, 11:59:28 PM
It is pretty powerful and I'm a bit concerned about it's last effect (downgrading agg damage to lethal). That said, I'm willing to allow it and see how it works out in play.

Actually, the part where bashing damage downgrades to nothing for free seemed pretty powerful as well.  If it causes problems in play, I'll just trade in those dots for more soak instead.

Quote from: Empyrean on September 27, 2010, 11:59:28 PM
As for the wolves, sounds good to me. :) If I may make a suggestion? It appears that she has Illusion but so far I can't tell why with the concept you've presented. If she's to be a Goddess of wolves (or something connected to them) maybe ditching Illusion for another dot in Animal (wolves) might be helpful. I won't stop you from taking Illusion if you really want it. I was just observing there. :)

Actually, I couldn't do that, since I bought those Purviews with XP.  Illusion 1 cost a lot less than Animal 4 would.  And although I do intend to eventually pick up more Animal Boons, I'm not really in a big hurry, since Ride Animal is pretty lame (if I wanted to do that I'd be playing a Loa Scion  :P).  The Subtle Knife is the sort of thing that's good to have when you're carting weapons around.

Anyway, I'll go into slightly more detail when I get a proper backstory written up, but Amy's rather eclectic set of Relics is meant to give her unfortunate entanglements.  The wolf thing fits her for good reasons, but the Aesir aren't exactly keen on wolves (*coughFenriscough*), and it's hard to guess where Uller went to get that relic made since no Aesir is associated with the Animal Purview.  Similarly, one might wonder exactly why Loki would agree to help out with an Illusion relic.  It lends some potential drama to a character who would otherwise fit in rather well with the Aesir.

I'll see what I can do with the sheet and come up with some sort of update hopefully tomorrow.

HairyHeretic

If you break the armour of achillles down, its a bit broken at relic 2. It's giving him

2B/4L soak - A 1L/1B soak is a 1 dot power
Bashing to Nothing - Sort of like the Damage Conversion knack
Lethal to Bashing - Damage Conversion knack (for free instead of 1 Legend)
Aggravated to Lethal - Divine Damage conversion (for 2 legend instead of 5)

So, soak alone is worth 3-4 dots.
Increase efficiency of a knack is a 1 dot power (the bashing to lethal, or the points break in legend maybe)
And say 1 dot for each knack.

You're talking about 8-9 dots worth of power there, by my count.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

fallensaviour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hare

so what kinds of awesome could a 5 dot magical horse get...

HairyHeretic

Hero P328 has the Valkyrie Horse (Creature 4, Relic 1)
Companion P99 has the Zouwu (Creature 3, Relic 1)

Either of those ought to provide some guidelines.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jefepato

Well, the cost of the soak depends on what the base armor type is supposed to be (I can't really tell, it doesn't seem to correspond to anything on the list).  But if you object I can just change it to something else.