Interest Check-Scion (now closed to new recruitment)

Started by Empyrean, September 20, 2010, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

I am working on a character that could be a great link for everyone...she is after all 2000 years old yes she is a bit slow at becoming a goddess but there is a back story...

Phaia

Rukio

I am afraid I'm gonna have to drop out of this one. Sorry all, but I'm just way too busy right now.

Phaia

I have some questions I cant find an answer too in any of the books.
Under advancement in the Heros book it lists under new trait 'Knack' for 5 xp. Can a knack be bought for an attribute that does not have an epic in it? can you have more knacks then epic attributes in an Attibute? ie can you have 10 knacks in dex and only 3 epics?

Phaia

Scya

I don't remember  what the answer is for your first question  but yes you can have 10 knacks and only 3 epics
A&A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=78650.0

A bit braindead at the moment so please excuse longer wait times then usual.

Jefepato

Quote from: Phaia on October 06, 2010, 06:09:44 PM

Can a knack be bought for an attribute that does not have an epic in it?

No.  See the last sentence on Hero page 125.  But then, why would you want to?

Quote from: Phaia on October 06, 2010, 06:09:44 PM

can you have more knacks then epic attributes in an Attibute? ie can you have 10 knacks in dex and only 3 epics?

Sure.  The option to buy Knacks wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Phaia

thanks I see that now and you answered both questions. Of course as an anwser as to why you would want to buy a knack in an attribute with no epic...I can think of several int knacks off the bat...language mastery,  and then fast learner and star pupil would half xp well over 3/4s of the abilities.

Thanks for the quick responce!!

Phaia

Phaia

This is the image for my character hope you all like...more to follow as I finish!!
and darn it I keep loosing track on how to resize the image!!

Phaia

Phaia

okay I have another question. Yea I am full of them.
I have discovered a weirdness. I took fast Learner and Star Pupil as knacks this makes four of my 6 favored abilities very cheap in some cases it sss free... as an example...brawl is a favored ability with star pupil the xp cost is half [like fast learner] this means that with 1 dot to start in brawl it would by the rules cost nothing to raise it to 2 dots :)
ability favored [rating x2]-1 =1 divided by 2 [star pupil] =1/2 rounded in my favor since she has legend makes it 0. Now I figure it will cost 1 xp but wanted to know if anyone has run across this before?

Phaia

Jefepato

Uh...good question.

I don't think I ran into this issue when I built my character, but if I did I would have assumed that 1 xp was a minimum.  I don't see anything specific on this topic in the books, though...

Phaia

be nice if that second dot is free give a free extra XP!!

Phaia

Phaia

I am getting into the seriuos xp spending and wanted to know if sirce is considered a speicla purview or a pantheon purview?

Phaia

Wheresmycow

Here's the latest character sheet for Alexander.  Couldn't figure out what to spend my last 5 Birthright points on since Creatures, Followers and Guides don't suit the character and I'm stuck on potential relics.  And I'm pm'ing a copy to you Empyrean.

Name:Alexander Bartholomew Cabbot
Scion of:Hermes
Calling:Charming, Audacious Rascal
Nature:Gambler

Strength:2Charisma:6Perception:5
Epic:1Epic:5Epic:4
Dexterity:6Manipulation:6Intelligence:6
Epic:6Epic:6Epic:6
Stamina:4Appearance:4Wits:6
Epic:4Epic:2Epic:6

Academics:2
Art (Dancing):5
Art (Singing):5
Athletics:5
Awareness:5
Brawl:3
Control (Motorcycle):4
Empathy:5
Fortitude:3
Integrity:5
Larceny:5
Occult:5
Presence:5
Stealth:5
Survival:1
Thrown:5

Relic 2:Moon's Grace - Golden Locket containing a moonbeam from the four corners of the world.
Grants access to the Moon and Psychopomp purview.
Relic 2:Airwings - Sneakers graced with feathers from Hermes's sandals.
Allows Alexander to fly as per Wind's Freedom Boon.
Relic 1:Chaos Dice - Dice made from the bones of a Chimera.
Grants access to the Chaos Purview.
Relic 5:Hydra's Bite - A set of throwing knives made from the fangs of the Lernaean Hydra.
Returns to the owner after being thrown.  Has +2 Accuracy, Speed 3 and Piercing.
Relic 5:Veil of Hermes - Longcoat inlaid with some threads made from the Golden Fleece.
Can alter clothing as per Tailor Made knack.  Has +4B/+4L armour.
Relic 5:The Road King - Harley Davidson Roadking Classic replaced with various enchanted parts.
Never needs fuel, tires change to match the terrain, +3 to Maneuverability.
Relic 2:Motorcycle Cover
As long as all the parts of the Road King are gathered together under the cover, it will be made whole again the following day at dawn.
Relic 3:Runic Bracelet - Metal bracelet with Greek summoning runes on it.
Can summon Hydra's Bite, The Road King and Motorcycle Cover.
Relic 5:

Arete 4:[Athletics, Awareness, Larceny, Presence, Stealth, Thrown] Mystic Endowment, Par Excellence, Show Off, Beyond Mortal Ken
Moon 1- 4:Smoking Mirror, Tidal Interference, Phase Cloak, Lunacy
Psychopomp 1- 4, 7:Unerring Orientation, Where Are You?, Unbarred Entry, Come Along, Rainbow Bridge

Strength Knacks:Hurl to the Horizon
Dexterity Knacks:Cat's Grace, Divine Balance, Escape Artist, Perfect Partner, Ricochet Symphony, Roll With It
Stamina Knacks:Body Armor, Inner Furnace, Regeneration, Self-Healing
Charisma Knacks:Benefit of the Doubt, Boys Will Be Boys, Charmer, Hapless Cool, Never Say Die
Manipulation Knacks:Advantageous Circumstances, Blurt It Out, God's Honest, Overt Order, Stench of Guilt, Takes One to Know One
Appearance Knacks:Doin' Fine, My Eyes Are Up Here
Perception Knacks:Environmental Awareness, Parallel Attention, Subliminal Warning, Telescopic Senses
Intelligence Knacks:Blockade of Reason, Language Mastery, Multitasking, Perfect Memory, Speed Reader, Telepathy
Wits Knacks:Eternal Vigilance, Jack of All Trades, Monkey in the Middle, Perfect Imposter, Psychic Profiler, Social Chameleon

Expression:2
Intellect:4
Valor:2
Vengeance:1

Bashing Soak:15
Lethal Soak:13
Aggravated Soak:8

Willpower:10/10
Legend:8
Legend Points:64
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Scya

Quote from: Empyrean on October 02, 2010, 08:46:53 PM
Incidentally, I've decided that the last thrash of the Atlantean pantheon was to embed the principles for their Scire PSP into the fabric of the World. It's tricky to find and master, but any Scion can have Scire boons at the same cost as a Special Purview not associated with one's parent.

Phaia

Phaia

Okay just want to be sure of this...the bonus dots both from hero and the Gm...[totals 25] are spent by the hero summary chart....it was a bit confusing when you talking about spending

***You need only spend one point to buy the next Boon in a Purview, instead of spending multiple points. So if you wanted to purchase say Fire 1 at character creation, that would cost one of your starting dots. Fire 2 would only cost you one dot as well, instead of 2 dots. The same with Epic Attributes. One dot gets you one dot of Epic Wits. You'd pay another dot for a second dot of E Wits instead of paying 2 dots for it.***

Does this apply to the bonus dodts as well...ie can i buy epics for one bonus dot !!!

Phaia

Scya

yes you can, but you should remember that you can 10 aditional dot when transfering from hero to demigod and can't  buy rang 6 and higher epics or boons higher then level 4.
and how do you get to 25 points?

Phaia

***10 extra free points can be spent on Guides, Relics, Creatures, and Followers at Hero level. Another 10 freebie points can be spent at the Demigod level. No one is allowed to start with aggravated damage weapons. Relics bought or gained at Hero may be upgraded at Demigod, as long as the PC can give a decent justification for it.***

You get 15 from character design hero pg 101 so you get 25 bonus points to spend!!

Phaia

Scya

ah sorry ,my mistake i misunderstood you
those 15 freebie points /Bonus points  that you get use the normal table.
the one dot for one dot rule is for the  points gained that you optain from :STEP FOUR: ADVANTAGES
Choose Birthrights (5—none may be higher than 3 before spending bonus points), Boons and
Epic Attributes (10), and Virtues (5—none may be higher than 4 before spending bonus points).

Wheresmycow

Also, my interpretation of the wording might not be correct, but judging by how that paragraph was phrased, I think those 10 extra freebie points gained at Demigod are supposed to be used for Creatures, Followers, Guides and Relics, just like the 10 extra gained at Hero.  I think it's supposed to reflect the fact that as we go through Demigod, we pick up extra swag and tag-alongs along the way.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

HairyHeretic

I believe so, yes. Over the course of play, you would expect to pick up a few relics and contacts and such. That's what those dots are to represent.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Phaia

Okay after looking at what I have after adding in demigod points i am way off of everyone else....heck I dont have an epic attribute past 3
I must have misread something along the way....can the 300xp be used on a one to one basis for epics and boons? I spent almost 100 xp in heroe to raise attributes...another 100xp+ on boons and a appox 100 on abilities.
15 bonus on relics and from the gm 10 points on relics

where have I gone worng here cause after upgrading to demigod and before speding the last 300xp there is NO way I can match what everyone else has
**facepalms**
I am having a  blonde moment and here I spent hours and hours working on Cleo **sighs**
I need to go do some actaull house work

Phaia

Scya

from these 15 bonus point you could have bought  some high attributes because this is one of the most efficient ways to spend them. If you want to buy some nonfavored attributes buy them , or at least the first dot with the 10 points that you have for boons and attributes.
For example if you want to have charisma(non favored) and stamina(favored) both with 3 epics.
Buying them with exp alone would cost you 45 exp.  but if you use 3 dots , for example to gain stamina 3, it would cost you 25exp, but, if you instead used those 3 dots to buy charisma you would only have to pay 20 exp, and if you would have bought charisma 2 and stamina 1 it would  be 22 exp

Remember that you gain another 9 attribute points (in a 4/3/2 spread)when going from hero to demigod that can't raise you attributes to 6 so plan accordingly so that you can use them while upgrading.  and most of those 10 additional points for boons and attributes that you obtain when transferring to demigod where used, at least for me, to increase my Epics  from 3 to 5 because prior you are unable to do based on the legend score.

and remember you ony need to pay curent rang x4 for a boon if you buy them in order in a purviev

HairyHeretic

You can use the 300xp at both hero and demigod level to buy epic abilities, yes. The cost of them will vary, depending on what you have favoured, and how many dots of epic whatever you already have.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jefepato

Like most White Wolf games, XP costs operate on a completely different scale than character-creation (and demigod upgrade) costs.  It's easy to fall behind if you don't keep this in mind from the start.  :-(

Phaia

i am seeing people with all these high epics and in almost every attribute. I mean looking at Jefepato character she has 42 dots in epics....42 .....HOW!!!??
23 dots in relics??

Even with spending all the bonus points in epics all i get is 35 epics and then i have no decent relics?

I am lost?? there is no way using the advancement as i read it that i can get that high...even assuming you use current as a 1 and all epics are favored thats 168 xp and thats figuring the formula as rating 1[42] x4

I dont understand how epics could get to 5s, 6s and 7s for the xp we have!!

Help!!

Phaia