News:

Main Menu

Coffee Cake...

Started by MagicalPen, January 18, 2008, 10:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

As I sit here and eat a Coffee Cake, I am perplexed by two things about this wholesome treat.

1.) Why is it called a 'Cake' when it is clearly a Muffin?
2.) Why is it called a 'Coffee" Cake when it in fact does not taste like Coffee? (If it tasted like coffee, I would not be eating it).

These questions also bring in to mind a Coffee Roll, and its two questions.

1.) Why is it called a 'roll' when it fact its more like a Danish, and not at all like a bread roll?
2.) Again, the 'Coffee' part is missing.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Cherri Tart

cause you eat it WITH cofffee! :D
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Bliss

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 18, 2008, 10:53:48 AM
cause you eat it WITH cofffee! :D

Ding! That was my guess. Kind of like teacakes, teacookies, te biscuits, etc... are consumed with tea, but don't have tea in.

Now, the cake part... I've seen coffee cakes, the muffin sort you're eating is probably a miniaturized version of the coffee cakes I know and love.

The coffee 'roll' I would think of as a roll because it's made of a long strip of dough rolled into a spiral shape.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Sherona

Coffee cakes are sweet, hence they are called a cake...I have never seen a coffee Cake look or taste like a muffin before..

MagicalPen

Go to DunkinDonuts and they should have one. Identical to a blueberry muffic, only with sugary/crumb stuff on top.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Serenity Vixen

But I never drink coffee with them... Well, almost never  :P

*Ducks, hiding her head with her arms*
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

MagicalPen

I don't drink coffee at all myself.

<--- is dressed in full plate armor for protection.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Rydia

There is actually a kind of coffee cake that is made with coffee.  It more resembles sponge cake, and it's yummy when you make it yourself.

But mostly what you see in bakeries and donut shops are what is called coffee cake, originally served with coffee.  For the non coffee drinkers, it is false advertising.

Another question; why aren't girl scout cookies made from real girl scouts?
Check it out.

What are you doing just reading this profile?  Say hello to the friendly Rydia.

Cherri Tart

or brownies made from real brownies? :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Rydia

Insert obligatory eating brownies joke here!
Check it out.

Bliss

Because they aren't yet ripe for eating?
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

MagicalPen

lol Bliss! That can be sooo wrong!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Serenity Vixen

Actually, weren't Girl Scout cookies originally made by Girl Scouts?

I do so love a girl in uniform :P
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Cherri Tart

i can actually fit into brownie uniforms - a proven fact - i was a pot brownie for halloween one year *grins*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Rydia

[sarcasm]Thanks, Cherri.  Now I'll be thinking about hot girls in brownie uniforms for the rest of the day.[/sarcasm]

Wait, that's not a bad thing...
Check it out.

Bliss

And those uniforms aren't adult length, so it'd be like micro short... *trails off, staring into space*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cherri Tart

yeah, come to think of it, there was sort of a breeze going on down there...

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Serenity Vixen

*Totally lost in a fantasy*

Cherri Tart

*hands SV a trail map*  :)

O/O, Cherri Flavored

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cherri Tart

hmm...  i'm not sure if i have any...  *looks thoughtful*  see what i can do, tho... *blushes* No promises.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Serenity Vixen

I was never a brownie, so do not have a uniform to see if I could fit into it :(

Bliss

I was a brownie. My sash doesn't fit any more.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Cjac

I was a Camp Fire Girl and I am very glad the camp fire was not made from girls!  But I never got a uniform....how sad.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Elvi

Quote from: Bliss on January 18, 2008, 11:24:25 AM
Ding! That was my guess. Kind of like teacakes, teacookies, te biscuits, etc... are consumed with tea, but don't have tea in.

Now, the cake part... I've seen coffee cakes, the muffin sort you're eating is probably a miniaturized version of the coffee cakes I know and love.

The coffee 'roll' I would think of as a roll because it's made of a long strip of dough rolled into a spiral shape.

Sort of right Bliss.

Tea cakes, (which are actually a bread 'bun' made with mixed fruit and are usually toasted), tea biscuits and most other things that are so named, are named after the time of day they were eaten, not just because they were eaten, as an accompaniment to the drink of tea.

There was afternoon tea at 4pm, (that the middle classes had to stem off their hunger for a later dinner) and high tea between 6pm and 8pm,(for the middle classes to have if they needed something substantial before going out in the evening and would eat, say after the theatre, a supper) or, if you were working class, high tea was the main meal of the day.

I still call our midday meal 'dinner' and evening meal 'tea'....*smiles*

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/food/tea.htm

Morning coffee, on the other hand, was a very middle and upper class thing, (working classes didn't have time to stop for a meal then and they certainly could not afford coffee) and foods that were eaten at that time, had the prefix 'coffee' attatched to them.

(However to completely confuse the issue, we do in fact have cakes here made with coffee as a main ingredient and the same goes for tea)  
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building