Bullies called him 'PorkChop'...

Started by Sel Nar, February 22, 2013, 07:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sel Nar

Shjade

That was a well-written piece. High marks.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

BadForm

Call me wimp if you want but... tears.
Absences thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=202963.msg9924174#msg9924174

-----

Think you know your movies? How about their dialogue? Try the following silly movie caption thread:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200349.0

Trieste

Not only anti-bullying but anti-brushoff. Whoever decided that "... but names will never hurt me" should be repeated to children ad infinitum needs to be poked with a stick once per second incessantly for about twelve years. >.>

Monfang

Quote from: Trieste on February 23, 2013, 04:24:39 PM
Not only anti-bullying but anti-brushoff. Whoever decided that "... but names will never hurt me" should be repeated to children ad infinitum needs to be poked with a stick once per second incessantly for about twelve years. >.>
Taht's why I'm gonna teach my kinds how to inflict pain without leaving a mark.

Trieste

Quote from: Monfang on February 23, 2013, 04:40:05 PM

That sentence is frankly horrifying.

Oniya

Quote from: Monfang on February 23, 2013, 04:40:05 PM

Just remember:  With great power comes great responsibility. >_>
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

I tend to cry easily and have been that way all my life.  A teacher though it was cute to call me April Showers when I was in second grade and the kids all picked it up.  I was too little and too scared to fight back and I would make myself sick just trying to keep from crying so they wouldn't pick on me.  Anti-bullying starts at home with parents who care about their own children enough to teach them self respect and respect for others.  Bullies are raised by bullies.

Hurting people physically or mentally isn't the answer, though. 

Monfang

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 23, 2013, 04:46:48 PM
I tend to cry easily and have been that way all my life.  A teacher though it was cute to call me April Showers when I was in second grade and the kids all picked it up.  I was too little and too scared to fight back and I would make myself sick just trying to keep from crying so they wouldn't pick on me.  Anti-bullying starts at home with parents who care about their own children enough to teach them self respect and respect for others.  Bullies are raised by bullies.

Hurting people physically or mentally isn't the answer, though.
Most of the bullies I encountered were products of stable homes and relationships.

Oniya

Stable, maybe, but the teaching of respect obviously wasn't covered.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sphaena

Quote from: Trieste on February 23, 2013, 04:24:39 PM

I completely agree with you there. Couldn't have said it better myself. It's the macho mentality of the world that needs to change for the bullied to come to terms with themselves, and from doing so go on to face the bullies of the playground. And this isn't just something that happens to pre-pubescent little children (although it may seem worse when it happens to them, certainly) but also to adults in the real world which is really just a large playground with more skilful, more subtle bullies that have God on one shoulder and the law on the other, if you'll allow me the liberty of using a possibly blasphemous metaphor.

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Monfang on February 23, 2013, 04:50:26 PM
Most of the bullies I encountered were products of stable homes and relationships.

There are all sorts of bullies and the faces some people show the world are not always what they show at home.  Personal experience has taught me that.

Shjade

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on February 23, 2013, 04:46:48 PM
A teacher though it was cute to call me April Showers when I was in second grade and the kids all picked it up.

People who I wouldn't mind seeing take a baseball bat to the shin, #327.

It's bad enough when it's just the other kids.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Ephiral

I'm not ashamed to say that this video moved me to tears, in both directions. My wife and I were both pretty severely bullied through most of our school lives, and had pretty much no support from administration. (On multiple occasions, due to admin intervention, I had to explain to police that I was the victim and I just wanted to take my stuff and go home.) I've seen lots of anti-bullying PSAs over the years, but... this is the first one that really groks what it's like, on a deep emotional level, and the scars it can leave. I'll be keeping a copy of this on my hard drive probably forever.

Thesunmaid

I did cry at this..I was shy and clumsy. I was not the smart kid either. I would in junior high hide in the library at lunch time and I would rather show someone my watch rather than tell someone the time..and anyone showing me any kindness would be met with me being suspicious of them.
It got to the point where at 15 I was self mutilating by scratching my scalp and legs until they bled and contemplating suicide..and one day I had my own little break down..I don't remember doing this at all..I grabbed the ring leader...the popular guy by the ears and smashed his face off the chalkboard ledge several times breaking his nose and blackening his eye and when he fell down I then proceeded to kick him so hard in the ribs i broke two of them. I sort of came out of my rage blackout and I felt a mixture of horror that I had done this to another human being but I also have to say...it felt good..Not saying violence is the answer but for a shy mousy scared of people kid...it felt fucking good.

I was transferred to another school after that because at the time anti bullying was not something that was widespread..The reason I went through 3 years of this was because the principle in my first year was retiring...didn't want to make waves in his last year...then a new principle came in...also didn't want to make waves..It should never have gotten to this point but people not wanting to talk about it...or just assuming i was fucked up caused it. I didn't fit in with others...I was the weird kid who read too much. Although..Now if I see anyone getting bullied I will step in..I am not that scared little kid anymore..although I admit sometimes I still feel like it. So personally for me I use this version of sticks and stones..
Sticks and stones can break my bones
Aimed with angry art
Words can sting like anything
But silence breaks the heart

Thank you for the video.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Blythe

Oh, this video has me absolutely heartbroken. My sister had a terrible time in high school--it wasn't easy for me, but this video was everything she felt but could never say.

Thank you for posting it.