News:

Main Menu

Nintendo Wii

Started by Sabby, March 12, 2008, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

In 2 months I'll be a Wii owner, so I thought a general discussion on the console should be here :)

I plan on getting Brawl (duh) Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess, and then its a toss up between Metroid and Resident Evil 4. Honestly, I'll probably get Resi.

Never liked Nintendo characters, and more then half of the Wii's game library is utter trash (sorry, but it had to be said) so I'm only getting it for a hand full of games, and hopefully more will come out that appeal to me.

Brandon

Totally agree with you there Sabbat, the Wii's game list is trash right now and Ive seen only a few in the near future that I would consider buying. The only saving grace is that I can own people as Marth again. Nintendo does have a reputation for finding wierd yet very enjoyable games (Animal crossing and harvest moon come to mind) so hopefully we will see some of that luck in the coming months.

The Wii is likely the most innovative of the major consoles to come out though. Making a type of controller that you can excersize and play with was a good idea but with the crappy game list it hardly makes up for the single good point I can think of.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Honestly, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the Wii. They have these cool motion sensitive controllers, but they don't have the hardware to back up anything that could really use it. To have a Star Wars game where his lightsabre(s) mimmick the Wiimote and Nunchaku perfectly would be incredible, but to pull that off, you would need the same physics driven models for the enemies, and thats just too much for the Wii to handle.

Still, whats there is fun, even if it could be so much more. I think the head of Nintendo just wakes up every day to find money in his bank account and spends the day wondering where it came from this time.

Brandon

Notice I said Innovative which does not directly translate to good. Innovation itself tends to lead to good things because what you come up with and do badly will get stolen by other people and used in better ways.

I think everyone can agree though, all games and systems suck until they're awesome *nods sagely*
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Mmm... Brawl... want now. Guess who my fav character is? Go on, guess ;D *tries to stand in front of my avatar*

Avi

I personally think the Wii has some real potential, especially in the FPS genre with the motion sensitive stuff.  I've got a couple of games for it, including Brawl, and I've been impressed with what they did with it, given the technology they used.  However, if I want to play the truly blockbuster games, like Assassin's Creed or Rainbow Six Vegas, that's what I've got my X360 for.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

Ah, and there lies the problem. All the big 'up there' devs are full steam ahead on making their games prettier and prettier when to excell on the Wii, you need to be creative and try to innovate, which is why they get a few absolute gems and the rest is terrible. What they did with Mario and Zelda looks fantastic and has some really nifty stuff that was made with the Wii in mind.

So no one is trying, but the few who have have come out with awesomeness for their efforts. Everything else is crappy sushi bar simulators and whack-a-mole type games.

ZK

Now, the game No More Heroes is a bad-ass Wii title. Then again, it's one of the most bloodiest ones ever, more gory then anything that could be pulled off in Resident Evil.

Basically take SMT style art, then add GTA then make people die in grotesque ways that make Kill Bill like Barney. ^.^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

I saw the video review for that. Looked kind of cool :) though the hub world was just aweful looking, and the combat looks like it could get really repetitive, really fast. Still, I'd try it ;D

ZK

The game is awesome. It does get repetitive, but not Dynasty Warriors style repetitive.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

I'd hope not! :P look up Repitition in the dictionary, and a referral to Dynasty Warriors should be in there.

I'm really looking forward to getting this now :D only 2 months to wait.

NightBird

But interestingly enough, it's what gamers would consider the 'boring' titles that are broadening the use of the Wii into areas I don't think many people would have thought of as being part of the market. It's turning out to have significant positive benefits for the elderly in care facilities who cannot lift much weight but need to move around and improve hand-eye coordination. It's drawn Alzheimer's patients out of the fog for longer than talking with them has done. All in all, the old folks think it's a lot more fun than tossing and rolling huge playground balls around to each other. I wouldn't be surprised to see more games specifically for that market developed, too, since there's big money there.

Sabby

Ah, an awesome point :) I've seen retirement homes have regular Wii Bowling tourenments. My buddy actually went to visit his granny and got challenged, and LOST! And his granny goes "Your a noob Thomas!"

Kalen

Quote from: Sabbat on March 12, 2008, 07:25:37 PM
Honestly, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with the Wii. They have these cool motion sensitive controllers, but they don't have the hardware to back up anything that could really use it. To have a Star Wars game where his lightsabre(s) mimmick the Wiimote and Nunchaku perfectly would be incredible, but to pull that off, you would need the same physics driven models for the enemies, and thats just too much for the Wii to handle.

Still, whats there is fun, even if it could be so much more. I think the head of Nintendo just wakes up every day to find money in his bank account and spends the day wondering where it came from this time.

So, I guess you haven't heard of 'The Force Unleashed', coming out this summer.. check it out, it looks amazing.

Elvi

Quote from: NightBird on March 13, 2008, 12:01:22 AM
But interestingly enough, it's what gamers would consider the 'boring' titles that are broadening the use of the Wii into areas I don't think many people would have thought of as being part of the market. It's turning out to have significant positive benefits for the elderly in care facilities who cannot lift much weight but need to move around and improve hand-eye coordination. It's drawn Alzheimer's patients out of the fog for longer than talking with them has done. All in all, the old folks think it's a lot more fun than tossing and rolling huge playground balls around to each other. I wouldn't be surprised to see more games specifically for that market developed, too, since there's big money there.

Sorry a little slip off the topic rails here, but I agree that the games market is not just for the 'teens' now.

My Dad has just bought my 73 year old, now severely dissabled mother, a DS lite.
He's started out with the Brain Train for her, to see how she goes and is asking around for other ideas.
My mother is an intelligent woman, trapped in a body, wracked by heart attacks and strokes, my Dad is petrified that she will become senile, due to inactivity, so we are hoping that she takes to this and enjoys it.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Avi

Elvi, if she likes that, I think there's a Brain Age title out for Wii, though I could be wrong. 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Elvi

Oh I can see it now...my Mam and Dad addicted to Wii...*laughs*
Joking apart, if she gets on with it, there's no reason why they shouldn't. Mam and Dad have never been afraid to at least try out new things...
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

King_Furby

I would like to see a harvest moon game on the Wii. I played the harvest moon games on the other nintendo systems and it really is wierd how a farming game can be fun. I think so anyhow. But imagine a harvest moon game on the Wii, there could be alot of fun stuff done with it.

Caeli

I agree, I'd like to see a Harvest Moon game on the Wii console. x33 I don't have one of the systems at school, but I'm sure the game (and Brawl, and Twilight Princess) could keep me entertained whenever I go home for breaks between school quarters.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

King_Furby

I would for sure play Brawl if i could play systems, but i am strickly a PC person. Brawl has like 32 characters or something but i did play the other super smash games. The Ice Climbers in #2 were so hard to play with.

Caeli

The Ice Climbers are really good if you know how to use them though. x33 They pack a powerful punch, even if they are a bit on the slower side.

As far as Wii games go... I actually want to see if the Wii DDR game is any good. It's a bit pricey if you buy an extra dance mat along with the game+mat bundle, but Playstation's DDR titles were really fun too. :] And, I hear that it also utilizes the wand and nunchuk capabilities of the Wii, which should be interesting.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

ZK

They do plan on releasing a Harvest Moon on the Wii. Also another thing is, we'll be seeing a lot of lightgun game remakes. They're bringing the House of the Dead collection, I, II, and III on the Wii for 30 USD.

As for other more mature sources, Atlus is going to start releasing the SMT series on the Wii also, starting with a mature based (but not direct connect) Baroque for a first release. :)

Sabby

Yes, I've heard of Force Unleased on Wii, but I doubt it will have the physics driven gameplay we're seeing on 360/PS3. If it does, it will be seriously watered down, but that at least I would look at. Even just physics driven arms for your character and tired old canned animation for enemies would be good :)

ZK

The physics wouldn't be watered down. The graphics would definitely be so. It'd look like a suped up GameCube game with great physics. *laughs*

Sabby

I really wanna believe that, but I honestly can't see the Wii havn't the grunt for it. Do you have a source you could post ZK? Because what I've seen on the other consoles for it was damned impressive.