Creating a system for a game

Started by persephone325, October 16, 2014, 06:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

So I had an idea for a game, and started a world building thread to get all my ideas down. I'm making a fighting game based on some of the most popular fighting games that are out there. (And some were part of my childhood. lol)

It's my first attempt at a system game, and I want to try and make a really easy to grasp system for this. Here's the link to the thread, just to get an idea of what's involved: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215662.0

Basically, I need something simple based on already established information for the characters that will be in the game. I realize this might not make much sense, so let me ask this way:

Are there any good sites that anyone can recommend to me that show you the basics of how to create your own dice system for a fighting game?
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

HairyHeretic

I'm not sure about sites, but have you posted in the GMs Lounge? We likely have people in there that have experimented with their own combat systems.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

persephone325

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 16, 2014, 03:51:16 PM
I'm not sure about sites, but have you posted in the GMs Lounge? We likely have people in there that have experimented with their own combat systems.

*facepalm* I didn't even think about that! Haha.

Thank you. ^^
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Twisted Crow

I too have been working on a fighting game system for some time. It's not easy, so I offer you the best of luck. I do think your concept looks very interesting, by the way!  ;D

persephone325

Quote from: Twisted Crow on October 17, 2014, 06:58:40 PM
I too have been working on a fighting game system for some time. It's not easy, so I offer you the best of luck. I do think your concept looks very interesting, by the way!  ;D

Thanks! But I feel ready to tear my hair out at this point. XD
I don't know.

Twisted Crow

Trust me... Date With Destiny is doing that to me as well. Still... :-)

I feel like I have my system pretty much cinched on paper, but I'm a bit self-critical. Don't know if you can relate to that part or not.

Anyways... I know I don't have my system finished but I'm a table-top gamer like many on Elliquiy. If you ever want to chat with me and pick my brain on something, I'd be happy to give my input on this and swap ideas around. Who knows? Maybe I also might learn a new trick or too. My PM box is open for you, as well. ;)

-TC

persephone325

Quote from: Twisted Crow on October 17, 2014, 07:49:37 PM
Trust me... Date With Destiny is doing that to me as well. Still... :-)

I feel like I have my system pretty much cinched on paper, but I'm a bit self-critical. Don't know if you can relate to that part or not.

Anyways... I know I don't have my system finished but I'm a table-top gamer like many on Elliquiy. If you ever want to chat with me and pick my brain on something, I'd be happy to give my input on this and swap ideas around. Who knows? Maybe I also might learn a new trick or too. My PM box is open for you, as well. ;)

-TC

^^ Thank you for the offer. I'll definitely keep you in mind. ;)
I don't know.

Lanaestra

You still working on this? I could poke some feedback at you, first though, a few salient questions

For one, what degree of variety in characters, generally speaking, are you looking to allow? This will influence what you expect stats to look like. If you wanted maximum possible versatility, for example, you could use 1-100 roll under d% systems a la the wh40k rpg systems (probably not what you're looking for, just an example). Conversely, if you want to keep numbers more manageable, something more akin to the Word of Darkness systems might be something to look at.

Fighting games, generally speaking, traditionally thrive on moves and countermoves. I'd try to keep that in mind when designing a system to emulate that  feel.

Personally, I have a gut feeling that you'd probably want to go with a dicepool mechanic.

persephone325

Hmm... There's a lot of information about system games I've gotten. I think I'll just mull over everything and see which one would be the best. I want it to be easy to handle, but also not feel like there's too much of a "lucky" element to the rolls.

I'm sure I can think of something with all the information everyone has given me.
I don't know.