Looking for a few people

Started by Sinna Mystika, April 29, 2010, 02:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinna Mystika

I'm looking to do a story that is a little bit different. It's your typical, everyday world, but some people, called mages, are born with the ability to use elemental magic. Some have the ability to transform into an animal that matches their personality. We can banter about the type of magic, whether it be everyday practical or the kind that is more for defense and protection. More details if people are interested. I will check every day at six for replies.

Sinna Mystika

Six pm that is, my time zone. (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada).

zemo8801

Hmm that is a good idea. I would be able to come up with something for you.
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Happy Owner of His Snowflake
Z crypt of ideas

Wheresmycow

Hopefully I'm not too late to join the party.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

angeli

I want your love and I want your revenge
You and me I could write a bad romance

ONs & OFFs
Apologies & Absences [09.25.2014]

Sinna Mystika

Okay then!! Well, I had a bit of an idea about it, but I am flexible if someone thinks something would be better a different way. Basic storyline is a little fuzzy. I have no real goal in mind. The regular humans lead normal lives of course. The mages, on the other hand, have things that must be accounted for. For example, once every four months the Council holds a Testing at each Academy for the mages. Each is tested on their unique abilities to be sure they still have control, as uncontrolled magic can be catastrophic since it's elemental magic. Some mages have complicated abilities, exempli gratia, elemental manipulation on a large scale (such as small storms, tiny little tornadoes, movement of large boulders, manipulating a forest fire), transformation into more than one creature (such as a mage with the ability to become any avian), practical manipulation of elemental energy (such as forming solid objects like platforms and shields), and the ability to transform into elemental energy for a short time (I can't imagine a reason for this, but I'm sure somebody can come up with something). There are also the simple abilities, exempli gratia, elemental manipulation on a small scale (dust devils, a wee bit of rain over one person, tiny little earthquakes in one small area, conjuring and manipulating campfires), transformation into one specific creature (such as a pit bull) or even just partial transformation (such as converting to gills for underwater exploration while still being otherwise human), practical manipulation of elemental energy on a smaller scale (solid objects like trays and catching things that are falling), and various other practical magic that would just be useful in everyday life like small-scale telekinesis. Now, I know earlier I had a bunch of capitalized words. That means they're important, right?? Right. The Council is a group of elder mages at each academy, like the Headmaster and teachers. The Testing is just that, a testing of abilities. The Academy is the school where mages are sent to be evaluated and taught. Now, while not rare, mages are still uncommon in that they are only about one in ten thousand births, and most of those have simple abilities. Some of them barely have that, but must still be tested to see if their powers have become stronger, and therefore need reevaluation. Humans know about mages, but many treat them as outcasts. Pariahs. They treat them like oddities, which they are, but many regular humans do not accept them. Now, I'm looking for all of these kinds. I would like a mage with meager abilities, a mage with many abilities, a human sympathetic to the mages, and a human who thinks mages are the "scourge of the world," so to speak. I'm not even sure yet what sort of person my character will be, which is why I want to hash this out before it gets started. Any ideas to toss??

angeli

From what it sounds like, you're looking to set up a quest of some sort for the mages. A bit like Harry Potter, who had to prove himself to everyone else. The humans, sympathetic orr not, could be caught up into some kind of danger, and the mages are the ones who free them from this danger.

My thought is more nebulous than yours, but I think we should have a focused plot to move things along.

--Angeli

ONs & OFFs

Sinna Mystika

Something like that would be pretty good. Any more specifics?? Like a traveling quest?? Save the city from evil mages type thing?? Mythical creatures to beat?? Like I said, I have a general bit going on, the only thing I'm missing is a plot goal.

angeli

Any of the above. It would be your choice. =)

ONs & OFFs

Sinna Mystika

Okay. How about we start with just normal life, but randomly introduce the magic as if it were completely normal. Casual, you know?? Then we can pick up characters along the way, if we can get any more. If not, we're going to have a few very specific characters we'll have to split between us or something, because I just can't see this working with any fewer than four or five people. It will be a traveling quest. I have trouble with coming up with random city names, so I'll need some help with that. Perhaps one of the cities we travel through could have a suppressed people who fear the mage that dictates them by using strong.....earth magic?? Sound good?? From there it could be that the ultimate goal of our travels is to go to a far city, from whence a messenger has come to give news of a.....creature of some sort, I haven't decided what, that needs to be put back into its proper place. That covers all of them actually. =^_^= And we can just find other things to deal with on the way. Typical, run-of-the-mill, ordinary, magic quest. *chuckles* As if there were such a thing.

angeli

Sounds good. What do you need in terms of character concept?

ONs & OFFs

Touch

Is it too late to join in on this? ^.^

Sinna Mystika

No, dear, it isn't too late. We haven't even quite started yet actually.

As far as character concept, I think it would be a good idea to outline general characteristics such as name, appearance and personality at least. List the element they will work with, if a mage, or simply state that they are normal humans. If they are able to transform, what are they able to transform into. State a few of the general magical practices they use, but if there's something really cool that you want to wait to mention, or if you plan on coming up with it as you go, that's fine too. If they are normal humans, do they mind being around mages or do they treat them like crap?? Are they the super neat type of human like Annie Oakley or just your average, run-of-the-mill bartender?? We want a variety of people, so I'll go ahead and wait until we have a couple people before I outline my character. I have a couple ready for whatever we need, so if you both want to be mages, I'll be a human. Or if there's a mage and a human, I'll be a different sort. That type of thing. I want everyone to have the kind of character they want.

Sinna Mystika

Also, I should add that I don't care if you play your gender. If you want to play a guy, a girl, a metrosexual, an omnisexual, I don't care. Play what you are best with. If you want to wear a heavy black cloak that hides your face and communicate by thought transfer so nobody even knows for sure that you are human, go for it!!

angeli

Give me a few days to create/find something.

ONs & OFFs

Sinna Mystika

Okay.

And for anyone else, please, post if you're interested. We're just getting started!!  :D

Wheresmycow

Alright, so I've taken some time to mull over things and think up some questions:

1) Is this modern day or set within the past?  Depending on the tech level, regular people may have more or less options dealing with people who have magic, options that might make people on average more or less fearful.

2) How helpless are regular people compared to mages?  Can a skilled person with a lot of training take on mage with many abilities and still have a chance at winning?  I'm thinking of like Conan kicking Sorcerer ass: is this possible?

Because based on these two questions, it'll help set the tone for the kind of characters that'll pop up.  Personally, I like playing Conan-style characters: pulp heroes who don't have any magic or supernatural abilities, but make up for it with talent and a lot of skill.  The sort of quest-like nature of this story I like and I'm interested in playing a human who doesn't necessarily think mages are the scourge of the world, but also doesn't like it either.  Very much someone who believes that magic is the easy way out and wants to prove that you don't need magic to do great things.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Sinna Mystika

That sounds great!! I was thinking of an oldish setting. Maybe one or two technologies pop up somewhere that we didn't really have but could have conceivably created. A traveling quest just wouldn't be what it should if they could just fly to where they're going. As far as humans versus mages, I can imagine that even a mage would have nothing on a hero like that. Even a real guy, like Jet Li, could probably take out a skilled mage. They aren't invincible, nor are they so powerful they can destroy the world. I'm thinking more along the lines of Pokémon as far as how powerful it is. Yes there are mages that exist that can make a small storm or a small earthquake, but I'm thinking more to the effect of an affected area about an acre or so. More like Pokémon, less like Dragon Ball. A human with a decent amount of fighting talent could conceivably take out a mage without "extra" effort. Mages tire themselves out by using magic just like regular people tire themselves out with physical force. I guess a closer comparison would be like Harry Potter or something. They can't really do anything earth-shaking, most of them. There are a few, but it costs them. Yeah, so they might could make a tray thing to hover above the ground a couple of feet to keep from walking, (like the Tibetan Buddha and his cloud thing) but that would tire them out just as much as walking. The only thing it would do is keep their feet from hurting. Yes, they can use magic, but they don't have the "unfair advantage." Is that what you wanted to know??

Wheresmycow

"More like Pokemon, less like Dragon Ball" is a very good analogy.  I like that.

And yes, that answers my questions.  I think character-wise, I'm going to go for a professional mercenary.  Someone who's seen a lot of conflicts, maybe fought in a war or two if there were any.  Probably an experienced woodsman, so does a bit of trapping and so on to pick up the slack when he isn't being hired out.  Very practical person, who tries to find the best way to keep the money coming in.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Touch

So, do these mages grow up in the village? At what age/how is it usually discovered that they have powers? I'm trying to figure out if my character should have a history of growing up in the village, or if she needs a reason to be there, etc. Is the Academy like, they go to school to learn how to control their powers? What age does that start?

Sinna Mystika

Around somewhere between five and seven, the end of the age of innocence, the powers will begin to show themselves if they exist. Academies are like boarding schools. They attend year-round and learn to control their powers. There is no particular reason they must be in the village. If you like, we can just find you on the road to the next village, all shrouded in mystery and the like. *grins* There's no reason you have to start in the village. You could be the messenger from another village bringing the news of whatever it is we're going to go vanquish and just happen to choose to tag along. Either way. Also, they are usually sent to Academy as soon as their parents find out. Many are actually disowned by their normal, human, mage-despising parents. It's sad, but it helps them to see that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows I guess.

Touch

Sounds good; it'll prob. take me a bit longer to think of a concept, but I'm definitely in! ^.^

Sinna Mystika

This post is simply to compile the information I have put in.

QuoteOkay then!! Well, I had a bit of an idea about it, but I am flexible if someone thinks something would be better a different way. Basic storyline is a little fuzzy. I have no real goal in mind. The regular humans lead normal lives of course. The mages, on the other hand, have things that must be accounted for. For example, once every four months the Council holds a Testing at each Academy for the mages. Each is tested on their unique abilities to be sure they still have control, as uncontrolled magic can be catastrophic since it's elemental magic. Some mages have complicated abilities, exempli gratia, elemental manipulation on a large scale (such as small storms, tiny little tornadoes, movement of large boulders, manipulating a forest fire), transformation into more than one creature (such as a mage with the ability to become any avian), practical manipulation of elemental energy (such as forming solid objects like platforms and shields), and the ability to transform into elemental energy for a short time (I can't imagine a reason for this, but I'm sure somebody can come up with something). There are also the simple abilities, exempli gratia, elemental manipulation on a small scale (dust devils, a wee bit of rain over one person, tiny little earthquakes in one small area, conjuring and manipulating campfires), transformation into one specific creature (such as a pit bull) or even just partial transformation (such as converting to gills for underwater exploration while still being otherwise human), practical manipulation of elemental energy on a smaller scale (solid objects like trays and catching things that are falling), and various other practical magic that would just be useful in everyday life like small-scale telekinesis. Now, I know earlier I had a bunch of capitalized words. That means they're important, right?? Right. The Council is a group of elder mages at each academy, like the Headmaster and teachers. The Testing is just that, a testing of abilities. The Academy is the school where mages are sent to be evaluated and taught. Now, while not rare, mages are still uncommon in that they are only about one in ten thousand births, and most of those have simple abilities. Some of them barely have that, but must still be tested to see if their powers have become stronger, and therefore need reevaluation. Humans know about mages, but many treat them as outcasts. Pariahs. They treat them like oddities, which they are, but many regular humans do not accept them. Now, I'm looking for all of these kinds. I would like a mage with meager abilities, a mage with many abilities, a human sympathetic to the mages, and a human who thinks mages are the "scourge of the world," so to speak. I'm not even sure yet what sort of person my character will be, which is why I want to hash this out before it gets started.

QuoteHow about we start with just normal life, but randomly introduce the magic as if it were completely normal. Casual, you know?? Then we can pick up characters along the way, if we can get any more. If not, we're going to have a few very specific characters we'll have to split between us or something, because I just can't see this working with any fewer than four or five people. It will be a traveling quest. I have trouble with coming up with random city names, so I'll need some help with that. Perhaps one of the cities we travel through could have a suppressed people who fear the mage that dictates them by using strong.....earth magic?? Sound good?? From there it could be that the ultimate goal of our travels is to go to a far city, from whence a messenger has come to give news of a.....creature of some sort, I haven't decided what, that needs to be put back into its proper place. That covers all of them actually. =^_^= And we can just find other things to deal with on the way. Typical, run-of-the-mill, ordinary, magic quest. *chuckles* As if there were such a thing

QuoteAs far as character concept, I think it would be a good idea to outline general characteristics such as name, appearance and personality at least. List the element they will work with, if a mage, or simply state that they are normal humans. If they are able to transform, what are they able to transform into. State a few of the general magical practices they use, but if there's something really cool that you want to wait to mention, or if you plan on coming up with it as you go, that's fine too. If they are normal humans, do they mind being around mages or do they treat them like crap?? Are they the super neat type of human like Annie Oakley or just your average, run-of-the-mill bartender?? We want a variety of people, so I'll go ahead and wait until we have a couple people before I outline my character. I have a couple ready for whatever we need, so if you both want to be mages, I'll be a human. Or if there's a mage and a human, I'll be a different sort. That type of thing. I want everyone to have the kind of character they want.

QuoteAlso, I should add that I don't care if you play your gender. If you want to play a guy, a girl, a metrosexual, an omnisexual, I don't care. Play what you are best with. If you want to wear a heavy black cloak that hides your face and communicate by thought transfer so nobody even knows for sure that you are human, go for it!!

QuoteI was thinking of an oldish setting. Maybe one or two technologies pop up somewhere that we didn't really have but could have conceivably created. A traveling quest just wouldn't be what it should if they could just fly to where they're going. As far as humans versus mages, I can imagine that even a mage would have nothing on a hero like that. Even a real guy, like Jet Li, could probably take out a skilled mage. They aren't invincible, nor are they so powerful they can destroy the world. I'm thinking more along the lines of Pokémon as far as how powerful it is. Yes there are mages that exist that can make a small storm or a small earthquake, but I'm thinking more to the effect of an affected area about an acre or so. More like Pokémon, less like Dragon Ball. A human with a decent amount of fighting talent could conceivably take out a mage without "extra" effort. Mages tire themselves out by using magic just like regular people tire themselves out with physical force. I guess a closer comparison would be like Harry Potter or something. They can't really do anything earth-shaking, most of them. There are a few, but it costs them. Yeah, so they might could make a tray thing to hover above the ground a couple of feet to keep from walking, (like the Tibetan Buddha and his cloud thing) but that would tire them out just as much as walking. The only thing it would do is keep their feet from hurting. Yes, they can use magic, but they don't have the "unfair advantage."

QuoteAround somewhere between five and seven, the end of the age of innocence, the powers will begin to show themselves if they exist. Academies are like boarding schools. They attend year-round and learn to control their powers. There is no particular reason they must be in the village. If you like, we can just find you on the road to the next village, all shrouded in mystery and the like. *grins* There's no reason you have to start in the village. You could be the messenger from another village bringing the news of whatever it is we're going to go vanquish and just happen to choose to tag along. Either way. Also, they are usually sent to Academy as soon as their parents find out. Many are actually disowned by their normal, human, mage-despising parents. It's sad, but it helps them to see that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows I guess.

I figured this would make it easier to reference, instead of having to scroll through several posts.

Wheresmycow

Alright, I have a character concept drafted up.

Name: Brand Grimr
Appearance: Above average height, well-muscled and broad-shouldered.  Handsome when he was younger, now thanks to a variety of scars and damage from a lot of fights, he's more rugged and distinguished now.  Dark brown hair that goes down to his shoulders is tied back with a copper clasp.  Brown eyes.  Trimmed mustache and beard, with a trace of gray showing.  He wears plain and rugged clothes.  Underneath a brown leather vest and green shirt is a chainmail shirt.  Reinforced leather armor is worn over plain brown trousers.  Sturdy leather boots and a weathered leather belt with handy pockets.  Two large axes hang at his hip, always kept sharp and good for cutting down trees and people.  Also wears a gray cloak to keep the rain off.
Personality: Professional mercenary through and through.  Doesn't feel the need to prove himself and keeps an eye on the next paycheck.  Doesn't take bribes but he's open to disclosing when his contract is almost up.  Aside from that, he's a bit of a cynic, has a sarcastic tongue and can be seen as a curmudgeon, even though he's only thirty.  Affection doesn't come easy from him, and it's usually in a sort of gruff manner.
View on magic:  Easy way out, better to think of a plan and then execute it with your own hands than to just wiggle your fingers at it and let it happen.  Doesn't hate mages, just thinks they should do things the honest way.
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

Sinna Mystika

I like him already!! Now, how is his last name pronounced?? Is it Grīmer with a long i?? Or Grïmmer with a short i?? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely??