News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Tonight's Presidential Speech

Started by National Acrobat, May 15, 2006, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moondazed

Again, I'll assume that you're not being condescending in saying that I'm "Wrong."  I don't seem to recall touting windmills, either *shrug*

Know what?  I'm going to agree to disagree, since the title of this thread is not, "Energy, and what we think about it" :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Zakharra

I'm not intending to sound condensending. I'm just saying that the alternative forms of energy are not as good as what we have now. At this time. Eventually we will get huge solar farms in space that beam the energy back to Earth and out there, enviromental concerns do not exist.

Agree to disagree? That works.  :)  There was a whole thread worth of arguement on energy a few months ago.

RogueJedi

You know, I just read Molly Ivins' column responding to Bush's idea to send the National Guard to the border.  For the life of me, I don't know what to make of the insane babbling she does.  That we are offending Mexico by sending National Guardsmen to the border?  Give me a break!  I don't care if I offend Mexico, frankly the president of Mexico offends me with his helping people to illegally cross our border.

I know that Molly was best friends with Ann Richards, whom Bush trounced for the Texas governorship several years ago (and then trounced her other best friend four years later by an even bigger margin), but this is ridiculous.  EVERYTHING Bush does, according to her is outright evil, on the level of Hitler.

National Acrobat

Yes, I agree and last night I was watching the pundits on television and there was a mexican congressman (from the Mexican Assembly in their government) who stated to the moderator that 'this is tantamount to the President of the US declaring war on Mexico' which I thought was a bit much.

I was listening to the Mac Watson show yesterday here in central Va. and the majority of the callers felt that Bush didn't say or do enough. Oddly enough, most of them said that he lacked the 'conviction' that usually fills his voice and facial features when he is speaking about something that really matters to him.

I could care less if we offend Mexico either. I think that if they can patrol their southern border and keep it closed, they should aid us in the same endeavors on their northern borders.

Zakharra

Quote from: RogueJedi on May 17, 2006, 08:16:35 AM
You know, I just read Molly Ivins' column responding to Bush's idea to send the National Guard to the border.  For the life of me, I don't know what to make of the insane babbling she does.  That we are offending Mexico by sending National Guardsmen to the border?  Give me a break!  I don't care if I offend Mexico, frankly the president of Mexico offends me with his helping people to illegally cross our border.

I know that Molly was best friends with Ann Richards, whom Bush trounced for the Texas governorship several years ago (and then trounced her other best friend four years later by an even bigger margin), but this is ridiculous.  EVERYTHING Bush does, according to her is outright evil, on the level of Hitler.

Yes. Bush gets blasted for 'letting' 9-11 happen, then when he tries to protect the country, he gets blasted and everything he tries is blocked.   

I could care less if we offend Mexico. As I said before. Fuck'em. If Fox wants to pick a fight over this, is he going to piss off millions of legal citizens of the US, including millions of legal immigrants that do NOT want the illegals to get any amnesty. We have a l;egal right to e nforce our borders and kn ow who is coming into  our country. If Mexico protests, I'd like to see them try to stop us. The most effective way they have is the oil they pump, but we could still buy it once it's on the world market. They cannot stop that from happening.

Another worry is that nutcase in Venezuala, Chavez, who says he's thinking of selling some of the F-16's we sold him, to Iran. That sale we can stop and will stop.

National Acrobat

Quote from: Zakharra on May 17, 2006, 08:27:15 AM

Another worry is that nutcase in Venezuala, Chavez, who says he's thinking of selling some of the F-16's we sold him, to Iran. That sale we can stop and will stop.

You know, even if Iran buys the planes, they can't get spare parts.

That's what happened in 1979 when the Shah was driven out. They had a bunch of F-14's we'd sold the Shah and F-4's, but no one was trained to fly them, and they couldn't get spare parts, so a whole fleet of planes rotted in the desert.

I don't believe Bush let 9-11 happen, but I am not thrilled with his party, him, the democrats or any democrat's 'non-plan' that is only worded as 'it's better than Bush'.

Both parties suck right now as a whole group. Each may have a few individuals worthy of attention, but on the whole, the two-party system as it stands is just a complete morass.

Zakharra

When we sell any other nation high tech weapons, like planes, there is a caveot written into the sale contract. That they cannot sell the planes to anyoine else without our official and express permission. If Venezuala doesa sell them, we can legally go in and take the planes back, or destroy them since he is breaking a legally binding contract that is recognized the world over.

This election cycle, I'm going to vote for a new Senator. I'm not thrilled with any sen ators right now. The Republ icans are acting like spineless Democrates and the democrates are not giving ANY reasons to vote for them other than as you said, 'Anything but Bush'. The House has balls thought. They actually do what their constituants want.

National Acrobat

Quote from: Zakharra on May 17, 2006, 08:39:17 AM
When we sell any other nation high tech weapons, like planes, there is a caveot written into the sale contract. That they cannot sell the planes to anyoine else without our official and express permission. If Venezuala doesa sell them, we can legally go in and take the planes back, or destroy them since he is breaking a legally binding contract that is recognized the world over.

This election cycle, I'm going to vote for a new Senator. I'm not thrilled with any sen ators right now. The Republ icans are acting like spineless Democrates and the democrates are not giving ANY reasons to vote for them other than as you said, 'Anything but Bush'. The House has balls thought. They actually do what their constituants want.

I know, I just think it would be funny to watch them pay a ton of money for something they couldn't use. Kinda like spending your allowance on nothing. But in all honesty, the sale would need to be blocked simply to not allow any reverse-engineering or resale on the black market.

As for the House, I think the House is slightly in better touch with their constituents than the Senate, but not by much.

The democrats main problem is that even with Clueless George's approval ratings in the toilet, they still can't come up with a solid message or defining 'plan' to govern more efficiently or better.

The mantra 'better than Bush' holds no water when you can't offer a sound, solid alternative to the current situation.

Zakharra

Yes. That will have a good significance this November if they cannot put forth any real plans to do anything. They will not be able to use their normal methods of vague promises and words, but have to have hard facts and plans. That's one reason Kerry lost. He had nothing solid to stand on. And in these times, people want to know, for a fact, what their leader stands for and is going to do.

Of course I think that Kerry is a spineless coward who would pander to anyone and give up huge chunks of our national soveriegnty to the UN and Europe.

National Acrobat

That's all the Dems really need, is a strong plan and platform that doesn't pander to everyone. If they could somehow manage to work on cutting spending and entitlements along with that, they'd be solid. They promise too much to everyone though, and spend an inordinate amount of time arguing with each other. They are fighting with each other over their candidate who is running against Santorum in Pa. because he's pro-life and anti-gun control.

One thing that I think both parties could really use a lesson in, is that it is ok to have members of your party who don't believe in 100% of what you do. It's ok to have some diversity, and in fact, that would make a better party than one where everyone believes in exactly the same thing as everyone else.

Purple

I have no problems with disagreeing with the current administration in office.  Even I, a staunch conservative and republican, do not approve of every single action taken during the last two terms (don't get me started, however, on the two before these).  I take great offense, however, to the out-and-out disrespecting of the President of the United States.  Love him or hate him or be lukewarm about him, but do not disrespect the office please.  For 229 years this country has had a president that sometimes is good and sometimes is bad.  And sometimes we don't even know how good and bad they were until many, many years passed and we are able to look at things in a different light.  Remember that not even Washington or Lincoln was liked by everyone even though we rarely even consider the possibility now.  For over 230 years men and women have died so that our system of government can be preserved, and while it is our right...no, our duty as American citizens (those of us that are of course) to question those in office we must always treat those in office with respect and courtesy.  I think that discussion is our greatest tool in fixing what is wrong with this country, and I encourage it.  But calling President Bush names (and especially the dreaded Mr. Bush from the media as if implying he isn't the president or isn't worthy) doesn't solve any problems and disrespects the office of the President, our country, and the men and women who have fought for this country.  Please don't, even if you disagree with me, err on the side of caution.  State your position without resorting to name-calling.
There's something very sexy about being submissive. Because your guard is down, you have to totally surrender to something like that. --Eva Longoria

Moondazed

Politics and religion are two things that are hard to talk about... it's difficult to debate without involving emotions (and I'm a bit scared of those who can! :) ), but it's important to express our feelings and opinions and allow others to do so.  Sure, it would be nice if everyone were cordial, but the fact is that I'm happy to see people getting riled up about the current situation.  Complacency only serves those in power, after all.

And I love the fact that being an American allows me to openly give or withhold my respect, regardless of anyone's social position.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

National Acrobat

Actually, being the conservative that I am, and generally supporting republicans, I feel more impassioned when I speak out.

You should hear what I said about and called Bill Clinton and the first Bush president.

Emotions run hard when you discuss politics and religion, and sometimes there is just no other way to get how you feel about someone out. I certainly don't disrespect the office, but then again I am one of those people who absolutely hate to see someone sully the reputation of the Oval Office as well.

Purple

Quote from: moondazed on May 17, 2006, 01:47:11 PM
Politics and religion are two things that are hard to talk about... it's difficult to debate without involving emotions (and I'm a bit scared of those who can! :) ), but it's important to express our feelings and opinions and allow others to do so.  Sure, it would be nice if everyone were cordial, but the fact is that I'm happy to see people getting riled up about the current situation.  Complacency only serves those in power, after all.

And I love the fact that being an American allows me to openly give or withhold my respect, regardless of anyone's social position.

Absolutely true, but even getting emotion can be done without name-calling.  That's all I wish to avoid is blatant disrespect of our country and our institutions.  I'm fed up with many of the current problems, but the majority of these are not Bush's fault.  A greater grasp of economics, for example, has helped me to realize that Bush is not to blame for the economic difficulties we have such as gas prices.  Blame OPEC for having a monopoly on oil, not Bush, for example.  Your last sentence in particular is exactly what I'm talking about.  And I praise the good Lord in heaven (sorry if I offend anybody there) that Bush is strong enough to try to protect that right in the way that he believes is the best.  Disagreeing with each other is all based on our schema and outlooks, and there's nothing wrong with that.  However, just like I won't call somebody in this thread here (nobody in particular--this is just an example) any names, I think the same courtesy should also be extended to President Bush, after all, he's not even here to defend himself (and I consider attacking someone who can not defend themselves to be the lowest form of cowardice).

No worries...I'm not angry or anything, and I don't wish to make anybody else angry.  These are my opinions that I am granted the right to express by the Bill of Rights.  :)
There's something very sexy about being submissive. Because your guard is down, you have to totally surrender to something like that. --Eva Longoria

ZK

As for my whole summary is going. Myself and my family [mother's side] is getting sick of the US. Perhaps, if things continue to spiral downward as they are in our household and various other reasons I will not speak of, well, we'll be jumping the country. X.x
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Purple

Quote from: National Acrobat on May 17, 2006, 01:54:09 PM
Actually, being the conservative that I am, and generally supporting republicans, I feel more impassioned when I speak out.

You should hear what I said about and called Bill Clinton and the first Bush president.

Emotions run hard when you discuss politics and religion, and sometimes there is just no other way to get how you feel about someone out. I certainly don't disrespect the office, but then again I am one of those people who absolutely hate to see someone sully the reputation of the Oval Office as well.

I get impassioned as well.  I detested the way Bill Clinton made us look like a laughing stock and pretty much dismantled our military.  But never once did I call him a name.  I always referred to him as President Clinton, and never with a sneer.  Part of our great country is not just our right to free speech, it is also the right that affords each and every person life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Slandering someone by calling them names infinges upon those rights.  Being in a free country means we also must act responsibly towards our fellow citizens, and President Bush is one.  And President Bush has done far less to sully the office than did President Clinton or his father President Bush (that 'read my lips...' must be the stupident thing any presidential hopeful has ever said...).

ZK

I don't know if I should be upset or simply neutral about the entire situation. My grandparents on both sides started this with my family as they both came to the US through legal imigration from two different countries following the usual pins and needles you have to go through for non-native English speakers and such.

As for rights and such, I enjoy them. But I am getting sick of the price people have to pay in this country for a right...as well, some would dare say faux pas. I've been offered to go live with a relative in Tokyo Japan, it'd be a nice change. Only problem is that... I don't really care for the city. It's too damn expensive and way over-crowded. As well as with my heritage and where I was born.. oh my, well, let's just say it won't be good. x.x

So, I don't know what to do, honestly. x.x
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

National Acrobat

Purple, you're a better person than I. I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve, and I am very blunt and direct when it comes to discussing the issues. Which sometimes leads me to express said-frustration with a not-so-nice comment.

It's me, and you can't imagine how I've had to hold my tongue at PTA meetings to prevent starting a brouhaha!  ::)

I think politicians know that they are going to be in the public eye, and that even if it isn't always right, they are going to be the targets of ire and have to have a thick skin, whether it's right or wrong.

The president, unfortunately, is a special case. We tend to give President's credit for things that they have no control or effect over, glamorizing them as being achievers, showering them with undeserved adulation. The opposite is true when things are going badly, they recieve the most flak and vitriol. Unfortunately, that's the way it works, whether people like it or not. Given the current situations in America Domestically and abroad, the President is a lightning rod more than ever.

Does that justify it, probably not, but that's the way it goes.

Moondazed

Quote from: Purple on May 17, 2006, 02:02:01 PM
I get impassioned as well.  I detested the way Bill Clinton made us look like a laughing stock and pretty much dismantled our military.  But never once did I call him a name.  I always referred to him as President Clinton, and never with a sneer.  Part of our great country is not just our right to free speech, it is also the right that affords each and every person life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Slandering someone by calling them names infinges upon those rights.  Being in a free country means we also must act responsibly towards our fellow citizens, and President Bush is one.  And President Bush has done far less to sully the office than did President Clinton or his father President Bush (that 'read my lips...' must be the stupident thing any presidential hopeful has ever said...).

This is the point where I get impassioned, so I'll apologize ahead of time.  I fail to see where anything President Clinton did is any more embarrassing than President (and I only use that word to avoid offending in both cases) Bush not having a command of the English language, let alone the glaring inaccuracy of so many of his claims, for which he gives his silly grin and expects it to be glossed over.  The only difference I see is that one was personally irresponsible and the other is much better at donning his "devout Christian" mantle.

I agree it's not all his fault, I agree he's not solely responsible, but I am deeply disturbed by the willingness of so many Americans to let their views on gay marriage, abortion and gun control decide who they vote for without any concern for the rest of the picture.  I'm sorry, but no one will ever be able to convince me that the Republicans didn't gain their current majority based on their constant hammering at those issues to draw attention from others in which they had failed miserably.

And in response to National Acrobat... I think that if more people were honest and open about their feeling and opinions we'd have a MUCH more representative democracy, instead of the system that we have now... which panders to the squeaky wheels and the thick wallets.

Please know that the previous statements are in my humble opinion, and are in no way meant to be inflammatory.

Lilac

Quote from: moondazed on May 16, 2006, 06:43:57 PM
I'll take "takes up space" over "hangs around for hundreds of years" any day, thank you.  I guess "surmountable" is subjective, because I don't see nuclear waste as surmountable.

Well the chief byproducts of nuclear waste are carbon-14 (easily returned to the ground if properly dispersed, or just dropped back into uranium mines) and tritium (useful for fusion research, but also has an exceedingly short half-life, though it is highly toxic).  Much of the rest can be used as future nuclear fuel.  Past that is neutron embrittlement of the reactor casing, for the most part.

QuoteWhy?  Easy and Cheap?  Sorry, I don't see something so potentially detrimental as easy or cheap.  What if we spent the time and energy exploring new energy sources?  As long as automakers keep a lot of the new technologies patented so that they can't be researched further we'll never know... unless we reward people who are thinking outside of the box.  Nuclear energy was discovered in a time when that type of thinking was rewarded and funded.

People are already whining about the rise in electricity costs - see what happenned in Cali.  The United States can burn coal (which puts much of the same 'radioactive waste' into the atmosphere, just like the Chinese coal fires have been doing since the paleolithic).

The problem is people want a one-size-fits-all solution.  "Wind power won't solve everything." "Solar cell technology is too inefficient with cheaply available materials." "All radioactive waste from nuclear reactors is bad." "Coal-scrubbing is too expensive." "Natural gas won't power my car." ...

Right now we're consuming something on the order of four centuries worth of planetary biomass a year, in oil alone.  'Cutting back' isn't going to be enough.  Researching a single solution isn't going to be enough.

QuoteThere are energy sources all around us, it's a matter of extracting the energy.  Such as ethanol... the only real discussion about actually pursuing it has been in reference to corn ethanol instead of sugarbeet ethanol, which is 4 times more efficient.  Why?  The corn lobbyists.  Man, our system is screwed up *sigh*

On top of lobbyists, we also have a serious case of NIMBY syndrome that is developing into a case of NIMBYOAEE (Not in my backyard or anyone else's either) regarding nuclear, wind, solar, hydroelectric, geothermal or tidal energy.

National Acrobat

QuoteNIMBY syndrome

That's a force that stops anything. I've never understood why people are quite willing to sacrifice the domicile of other people for things, but are not willing to contribute to the whole picture themselves.

We're having this problem in Virginia with a giant wind farm that is being proposed in Highland County. It's been interesting to see both sides of the issue on this, and I sympathize with both sides. However, people are going to have to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to actually accepting and putting into practice some alternative sources of energy.

People are quick to embrace them, until someone suggests that their neck of the woods be a central focus.

Moondazed

Quote from: National Acrobat on May 17, 2006, 02:31:16 PM
That's a force that stops anything. I've never understood why people are quite willing to sacrifice the domicile of other people for things, but are not willing to contribute to the whole picture themselves.

We're having this problem in Virginia with a giant wind farm that is being proposed in Highland County. It's been interesting to see both sides of the issue on this, and I sympathize with both sides. However, people are going to have to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to actually accepting and putting into practice some alternative sources of energy.

People are quick to embrace them, until someone suggests that their neck of the woods be a central focus.

The same thing just happened in Orange County with a brick company wanting to mine for clay.  Those who live nowhere near the site but work there were all for it, while those who would be directly affected (low-income, what a surprise!) were scared of the affects such projects had had on other towns.  When it didn't go through there were scalding letters in the paper from those who worked there, and I sympathize with them, but that doesn't change what would have happened if it had gone through, nor did it negate the evidence that it had happened on numerous occasions in other locations.

I always say that people rarely have a problem with laws, etc., until they're directly affected, and therein lies the problem, IMHO.

Purple

Quote from: moondazed on May 17, 2006, 02:21:50 PM
This is the point where I get impassioned, so I'll apologize ahead of time.  I fail to see where anything President Clinton did is any more embarrassing than President (and I only use that word to avoid offending in both cases) Bush not having a command of the English language, let alone the glaring inaccuracy of so many of his claims, for which he gives his silly grin and expects it to be glossed over.  The only difference I see is that one was personally irresponsible and the other is much better at donning his "devout Christian" mantle.

I agree it's not all his fault, I agree he's not solely responsible, but I am deeply disturbed by the willingness of so many Americans to let their views on gay marriage, abortion and gun control decide who they vote for without any concern for the rest of the picture.  I'm sorry, but no one will ever be able to convince me that the Republicans didn't gain their current majority based on their constant hammering at those issues to draw attention from others in which they had failed miserably.

And in response to National Acrobat... I think that if more people were honest and open about their feeling and opinions we'd have a MUCH more representative democracy, instead of the system that we have now... which panders to the squeaky wheels and the thick wallets.

Please know that the previous statements are in my humble opinion, and are in no way meant to be inflammatory.

Besides making us a laughing stock with his indescretions, accepting more foreign campaign contributions (illegal) than any other president in history, dismantling the military, gutting our intelligence capabilities,  handing our sovereignty to the United Nations (which we pay for), attempting a government takeover of 1/7 of the economy...nevermind really...what more do you need to know.  Former-President Clinton was one of the worst and least effective presidents we have ever had.  If you doubt that I should tell you that a very liberal professor at my college taught a class on his presidency...and he voted for President Clinton mind you...but he's the one that said that...worst and least effective...

Bush might not always be right, indeed it would be frightening if he was, but he has the balls to stand up and fight for what he believes in: freedom.  That alone puts him head and shoulders above the two previous presidents.  As far as President Bush not having a command of the English language: first, I don't know anyone except for Professor Henry Higgins who has an excellent grasp of so difficult a language.  In fact, President Bush talks like most people I know in the Southern half of the country, just a little redneckish which is in no way a reflection on someone's intelligence.  Nevermind the fact that Bush attended and wildly succeeded at Yale (if I remember correctly).  I wonder if any of us have ever had the same pressure that he does and then be able to speak flawless English in front of the entire world watching.  Even actors and actresses mess up their lines.  Back to the fact that dialects differ from region to region, just because the liberal press considers something to be a mistake doesn't make it so.  And sometimes, people do make mistakes.  First and foremost, President Bush is still a person, and we must remember that.  

The glaring inaccuracy of so many of his claims:  Why let Al Gore slide on his comments such as his momma used to singing him the 'look for the union label' song when he was a small child (which was before it was ever written), at one time he said that the cancer patients needed a sonogram instead of a mammogram (how long was that on the knews), direct quote from the New York Times--"When my sister and I were growing up, there was never any doubt in our minds that men and women were equal, if not more so."  Instead of the Civil War in 1861, he said 1961.  People make mistakes, I don't mean to pick on Mr. Gore...but his mistakes and out-and-out mistruths are legendary around our house.  They're Gore-isms.  So no one is immune to 'inaccuracies' or ' mistakes.  Why villify President Bush only?  Just remembered one more--it's a great one: "A zebra does not change it's spots."  Hello?

And I must admit I resent that you believe Bush is better at "donning his devout Christian mantle."  Whether you believe him or not, whether you agree with him or not, his faith has nothing to do with it.  I don't select my president based on his faith unless it might be detrimental to the country.  And most other Americans don't as well.  I am a Christian, and I am a Republican, and I am immensely proud of both.  And to many people in this country those issues that you mentioned are extremely fundamental for many reasons.  For example, I have the very controversial view that abortions, except in extreme cases, should be illegal.   Disagree with me sure, but I have my reasons and my beliefs and I will fight until my dying breath if it might save the life of a child.  Much like my eldest was born a perfectly-formed living being at just 27 weeks...and the age at which these children can be saved is increased all the time.  Yes, this issue will always be a consideration when I select my president.  As does our national defense, taxes and the economy, a reduction in big government, our natural resources, etc.  What really gets me is when people just assume that Republicans and Conservatives only care about are the issues on which we disagree with Democrats and Liberals.  Take the time to get to know us and why we choose the way we do before making blanket statements please.  You might be surprised at what we agree on and why we believe the way we do on the things on which we disagree.

Jefepato

Quote from: National Acrobat on May 17, 2006, 02:31:16 PM

Really?  It makes perfect sense to me.

Moondazed

Quote from: Purple on May 17, 2006, 03:14:57 PM
What really gets me is when people just assume that Republicans and Conservatives only care about are the issues on which we disagree with Democrats and Liberals.  Take the time to get to know us and why we choose the way we do before making blanket statements please.  You might be surprised at what we agree on and why we believe the way we do on the things on which we disagree.

Don't tell me... you watch Fox News, right?  My statements are based on those I'm surrounded by.  I would LOVE to know why people supported him, but based on your statements talking is pointless, because you believe that the liberal media (as if that even EXISTS!) is out to get him.

Hence, again, I will agree to disagree, although I have a much harder time doing so with this one!