Lost Love (-3 XP)

Equipment:

Light armour
Sturdy clothing
Daisho
(Weapon)
Travelling pack
5 koku
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

kckolbe

Hey folks, sorry for the delay.  I've been kinda busy becoming a PUBLISHED FUCKING SPORTSWRITER!  http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/quarterbacks-and-salary
Please check it out, the more views the better chances for me getting accepted to write more.

Anna:
QuoteSo, here's a different idea (just brainstorming here)- use the soak mechanic you have, each Maho spell causes Taint at a rate of (Maho rank) rolled d5s, keeping one die.  5's explode.  This means that a rank 1 Maho spell has an 80% chance of being 4 or less points of taint (not too hard to soak), but a 20% chance of being 6-11+ or more points of taint (equal odds 6, 7,8,9,11+, which values are much harder to soak).  A rank 5 Maho spell will probably be seven points (unsoaked) or less- but there's a 18.5% chance of it being 11 points or more (interestingly, the odds here are weighted slightly towards the higher values, with a 3.9% chance of seeing a 16+, descending to a 3.5% chance of seeing 11).  This, to me, exemplifies the seductive nature of Maho- no matter what rank Maho, you're only soaking one (exploding) d5.  The odds of the Taint being manageable are really good... except for when you roll those four 5's in a row.  Then you're screwed. Low risk, but very high stakes.

I actually really like this.  The site is pretty awesome, too.  I would like to go with 1k1+1k0 per maho level, making a rank 5 about 9 points pre-soak, but this is the kind of risk I was looking for.  You're never completely safe, but most of the time you can get away with it if you are strong enough.

Maseko is *such* a Mantis.  Go ahead and post your sheet.  I kinda like secrets, but given that everything has been posted, go ahead and join in, especially since I am going to talk about some of it here.  So, the following are disadvantages you don't have that you might want to look at. 
Contrary - (yeah I know, fuckin hypocrite, but this is what I was looking for with it...strong opinions, quick judgement, and a desire to express both)
Failure of Bushido: Courtesy -   Probably pretty dangerous to have alongside Contrary, so maybe more an either/or kinda thing.  In truth, I actually like this more than Contrary, as Failure of Bushido just makes sense to go along with Consumed by Knowledge.  Also, I see her having trouble convincing someone she regrets something she just said/did.
Can't Lie - It's a Willpower roll, and since I see her as the type to not think before she speaks, I can see her having to focus to lie.  It doesn't make her worse at it, just takes a deliberate effort to remember to do.
Also, give yourself a point for Haunted, which you currently have at 0.

For stuff you have...I'm not crazy about Daikoku's Curse combined with Ascetic, as I feel that is semi double-dipping, since both affect starting outfit.  If you are willing to start without a "necessary" item or knock a point off the "price" I am okay with it.

Lastly...fucking statues.

HopeFox: I decided to edit history a bit.  Shourido was first introduced during the Clan War (through Crab/Shadowlands talks).  This means that Crab were first exposed to it and, understandably, a bit more receptive to it, but it is becoming known, though regarded as just shy of blasphemy by the Crane.  Char looks fine so far, not going to count points on anyone until closer to starting.

Summer:  Good point on Small vs Bishamon's blessing.  I would make the latter -1k0 on all Strength rolls, including damage.  20 looks good, though.

hellrazoromega: Only 40 points for char creation in 4th.

All: I think I mentioned this on skype, but add 5 points to the limit on Disadvantages from the books.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

zombiemun

just found this thread and was wondering if it was to late to join in the fun?
o/o

kckolbe

There is no guarantee, but it isn't too late.  I'm looking for 5-8 player characters, and am already above the minimum with submitted chars.  This isn't first come, first serve though.  If the effort is there and I like the concept, it's very possible.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Summer

Quote from: kckolbe on July 23, 2015, 07:09:30 PM
Hey folks, sorry for the delay.  I've been kinda busy becoming a PUBLISHED FUCKING SPORTSWRITER!  http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/quarterbacks-and-salary
Please check it out, the more views the better chances for me getting accepted to write more.

I checked! The math was understandable but the sports was not. :p

QuoteSummer:  Good point on Small vs Bishamon's blessing.  I would make the latter -1k0 on all Strength rolls, including damage.  20 looks good, though.

That's an interesting way to change it, especially since it becomes a more accurate inverse of his blessing. It also comes *close* but isn't quite the same as Weakness (Strength) which... speaking of...

QuoteAll: I think I mentioned this on skype, but add 5 points to the limit on Disadvantages from the books.

Was not aware of this. I think I'll actually pick up Weakness (Strength), then. Bishomon's Curse felt like double-dipping since it was so limited in effect and it didn't feel right for Yuu to be spiritual and have a blessing and a curse... it seemed like it would just be tacked on. I enjoyed the concept, just not the avenue, but with the increased disadvantage max I can take Weakness without compunctions (I definitely wanted Small and Ascetic, which would've wasted two points from Weakness). I'll drop the six points into Defense 3, Kenjutsu 2, and Gardening 1, while keeping the same age.

Any thoughts / input?
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

kckolbe

Question for anyone: Does Weakness affect Insight or Ring Rolls?

Intro Thread

Chulanowa

Quote from: kckolbe on July 22, 2015, 09:50:14 PM
It isn't closed for recruiting yet, but you are behind and I am looking for active participation from players.

I think I'mma sit it out, KC. Not from lack of interest, just lack of time :)

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Flying Tengu

Quote from: kckolbe on July 23, 2015, 08:42:10 PM
Question for anyone: Does Weakness affect Insight or Ring Rolls?

I don't think so; I think it only affects rolls for that particular trait, not the associated ring.  Nor insight.

Not 100% on that, but more like 90%.

Summer

QuoteYou have a significant weakness of some sort, either physical
or mental, that is difficult to overcome even under ideal cir-
cumstances. Select one Trait. That Trait is treated as if it were
one rank lower for the purposes of all rolls and Trait-based
mechanical effects.

Quoted for posterity.

That is a very good question. I was going to say "likely only for rolls", but it says "trait-based mechanical effects". I suppose it's up to GM decision in this case.

That being said... if it turns rank 3 with trait is equivalent in all ways to rank 2 without -- even factoring in ring and insight -- then it's a very, very debilitating drawback and isn't at all worth its price. In the most immediate sense, in order to "undo" the damage would cost 12 experience (going from 2 to 3), and its immediate impact is an effective -8 experience (going down from 2 to 1). Six experience doesn't cover its "debt".

When it says "trait-based mechanical effects", I believe it is referring to thinks like natural armor -- which would build off of your reflexes -- and other such things. But if it reduces the ring as well, I don't think I can actually take it owing to Small's reduction of the water ring by 1 for movement purposes... I wouldn't really be able to move at all, would I? >.>
My on's and off's

Currently refraining from accepting roleplay partners while I consolidate/prepare for some that are starting up. I do not want to accidentally neglect a roleplay for being overzealous.

kckolbe

I would imagine that Insight would be untouched for the reasons you state, but that the ring would be affected, so her movement would be hosed. 

Intro Thread

Summer

As much as I'm enjoying the mental image of a dueling Bushi having to be carted around from place to place, I'm going to have to retract that drawback. :p

Quote from: Water 0 Bushi
The moment I place my foot on the field of battle, I shall not budge an inch.

... In either direction.

I have become a statue.
My on's and off's

zombiemun

did some poking around on the l5r forums and the most I could find that really made any sense was this...hope it might help some

The thing about it is there is a distinction between a Ring and a Trait.

Weakness doesn't actually lower the value of your trait. What it does is tells you to "pretend" that the value of your trait is one lower for any/all rolls and trait-based mechanics. Wounds don't check the trait's value - they check the Ring's value, which remains 2 (or whatever value it's been raised to).
Just like when you go to raise your "Weakness" Trait, you have to pay the XP value that it would require as if you had the full value (in example - If you have a Stamina of 2 and the Disadvantage 'Weakness: Stamina,' it will still cost you 12xp to raise your Stamina, because it is still a 2, and not actually a 1).

o/o

kckolbe

Intro Thread

hellrazoromega

Some more questions for everyone.

Which tenets of Bushido are most important to your character?  Which tenets are least important? All of the tenets are important and to shirk any of them is to loose face as a samurai, that said Fumiko firmly believes Bushido is a two way street, those who forsake Bushido don't deserve it's tenets in return. She would find it difficult to chose one to place above or below the others in general as she sees things a situational. The circumstances would dictate which was more important at the time.

Does your character know of Shourido?  What does your character think of it?
  As a scout Fumiko finds Insight and Will interesting, the rest is heretical nonsense.

Was your character involved in the war of spirits? What did your character think of each side on the war of spirits?
No she was still assigned to scout beyond the Wall. The conflict was confusing the Spirits violated the natural order of things and should have remained where they were. But they were honored ancestors and heroes. Fumiko was not sure what to think, but in the end she believe Toturi was in the right.

What did your character think of the treaty?
It was for the good of the Empire. There had been to many wars in recent decades, that combined with the length of the war made things worse. The Empire time to heal was needed.

If given the chance what would your character change about Rokugan?
Tradition is good, but perhaps the Mantis and Unicorn show some wisdom in trying new ideas. The same ideas over and over only seem to lead to the same mistakes.

hellrazoromega: Only 40 points for char creation in 4th.
Completely aware of that, however I was basing that one this>
Quote from: kckolbe on July 16, 2015, 01:53:30 AM
XP is as normal plus 1xp per year above 16.
and making her 21 for 45xp. Has that changed? Or did I misinterpret? If so I'll recalculate.

Annaamarth

Anna:
[Snip]

Congrats on getting published!  That's awesome!

... So, I'm already above the 15 point limit, even if I yank Daikoku's curse.  You need to stop making me take points for my drawbacks :P (Unless you really, really like the way everything hangs together, in which case yeah I'll take the points!)

The way I read "can't lie," you can't lie- period.  It's a willpower roll to allow some else to lie without blurting out a correction.  Yeah, no.

Contrary?  PFFFTFTT Yeah, too easy.  Of course I could take that, but I won't.  I've got so many other cool drawbacks, I don't really want to swap out for that.

Failure of courtesy I could see.  She thinks courtesy is important, but she isn't very good at it.  I'd be willing to throw that in.

Re: Daikoku's curse- I took it mostly for the penalty to Commerce and to show a part of why she was ascetic without being a monk.  She just can't hold on to money- and between the way she wastes coin and being an Insensitive, Lecherous Mantis-minded Scorpion, I figure her Glory isn't going to go up quickly- mechanically, Ascetic shows that.  So, I yanked Daikoku's curse from the character sheet, but I'd still be willing to throw it in there for 1 point (or full points, and make ascetic a "free," zero point drawback, since the mechanics fit so well).  Question though- my school kit starts me with "any weapon."  If I start with a bow, how many arrows (if any) does it come with?

Edit: Also, Meet Maseko.

Also also, can I use a wakizashi with Knives skill, or is that a Kenjutsu thing specifically?  I hope I can use Knives with a wakizashi.  Then again, more skills to put xp into means higher insight, so whatever.

My updated sheet includes failure of Courtesy.  To be clear, I currently have 23 points of drawbacks- if I'm benefiting from all of those (at even a single point, as is the case for Haunted), then I'll roll with it, but, um... well, let me know if you want me to pare her down a bit.
Ons/Offs

My sins are pride, wrath and lust.

Summer

Quote from: Annaamarth on July 24, 2015, 03:34:02 AMAlso also, can I use a wakizashi with Knives skill, or is that a Kenjutsu thing specifically?  I hope I can use Knives with a wakizashi.  Then again, more skills to put xp into means higher insight, so whatever.

My updated sheet includes failure of Courtesy.  To be clear, I currently have 23 points of drawbacks- if I'm benefiting from all of those (at even a single point, as is the case for Haunted), then I'll roll with it, but, um... well, let me know if you want me to pare her down a bit.

Wakizashi is pretty specifically Kenjutsu from what I know, though a tanto would likely be utilized in its stead if one has training in knives. That being said, you don't actually have a tanto at present, huh? :p
My on's and off's

kckolbe

hellrazoromega: 1 pt per year is correct, just wanted to be sure since 3rd ed was 45 points.  Just coincidence.

So, tell me more about her fiance, and what kind of plot elements you hope to see there. 

Additionally, I'm not crazy about the Sacred Weapon.  If she was so highly valued, why was she given up?

Anna: The limit on doesn't concern me that much, really.  More concerned with whether or not they all make sense, and I am fairly aggressive about that. 

As for your school kit, it does start you with an extra weapon, though you don't get that due to Ascetic.  It would be 10 arrows, though.  Some schools start with 20, some with 0. 

How has lechery played a part in her life?  I don't think you've ever mentioned it.

Wakizashi is part of kenjutsu...sorry.

Intro Thread

Summer

Quote from: kckolbe on July 24, 2015, 10:38:18 AM
As for your school kit, it does start you with an extra weapon, though you don't get that due to Ascetic.

Actually, Ascetic specifically allows the weapons.

QuoteYou have no taste for or interest in material things, and this
minimalist attitude has impacted how others view you. Your
School Outfit includes only weapons, armor, clothing, neces-
sary tools of the trade for your profession (such as a scroll
satchel for shugenja), and nothing else. Any time you would
be awarded Glory as a result of your actions, you receive only
half the normal amount. Coupled with the normal restriction
for Monks in gaining Glory, ascetic monk characters would
only gain one quarter the normal amount of Glory. This Dis-
advantage is worth 3 points to Dragon and monk characters.

Quoted for posterity, but there is no restriction on weapons, meaning that all mentioned weapons in a single school outfit would be included in it (which is why I currently have both a daisho and a tanto despite being Ascetic). It mainly removes the koku and the traveling pack.
My on's and off's

kckolbe

I misread it as "Your School Outfit includes only weapons, armor, clothing necessary for your profession (such as a scroll satchel for shugenja), and nothing else."

Intro Thread

Summer

Quote from: kckolbe on July 24, 2015, 10:50:49 AM
I misread it as "Your School Outfit includes only weapons, armor, clothing necessary for your profession (such as a scroll satchel for shugenja), and nothing else."

Understandable, but if that was the intent it would read as "Your School Outfit includes only the weapons, armor, clothing, and necessary tools of the trade for your profession and nothing else."~ Without it, it doesn't place the items into one group {the weapons, armor, clothing, and necessary tools of the trade} (for your profession), but into individual groups {weapons}, {armor}, {clothing}, and {necessary tools of the trade for your profession}.

It's quite the interesting scenario and I'm not surprised it was read as it was. Given that the omission of a single word in this case could potentially change the specifics of its meaning, it's also not impossible that what you mentioned was "as intended" but it was lost in trying to make it fanciful.
My on's and off's

Annaamarth

Bold is response.
[snip]

Anna: The limit on doesn't concern me that much, really.  More concerned with whether or not they all make sense, and I am fairly aggressive about that.  Okay, cool.  I make an effort for everything to make sense and hang together.

As for your school kit, it does start you with an extra weapon, though you don't get that due to Ascetic.  It would be 10 arrows, though.  Some schools start with 20, some with 0. 
... Schools starting with 0 arrows is weird.

How has lechery played a part in her life?  I don't think you've ever mentioned it.
I believe I said she enjoys the "pleasures of the flesh" at some point, but it was a minor point.  It's part of her "play hard, work hard when I have to" mentality.  Turns out many Mantis and many Crab don't place great store by chastity.  Some Scorpion do, and many do not.  Being the impulsive thing she is, at some point she decided she enjoyed such games, probably some time after her betrothed became an Oni's dinner.  She probably also enjoys opium, gambling, sake and other alcohols, which I believe largely fall under the same umbrella.  This is one of those things where she is vulnerable to a social weapon, which makes it that much more challenging to use her in most Scorpion plots.  Unless embarrassing the Scorpion was the point of the plot, in which case odds are good that "that bumpkin Maseko" would do quite handily. Perhaps she has already done so- you did mention the possibility of taking Black Sheep, all though starting at reduced honor might make more sense in that case-  Failing as expected is not exactly Black Sheep material.

Oh yeah, I also mentioned it last post as part of the set of 'background drawbacks' that lead to her carefree asceticism.

Anyway, if you don't feel it's appropriate I can yank it.

Wakizashi is part of kenjutsu...sorry.
Pft.  Don't be.  Just another skill for me to put xp into later, if I feel like it.  Another potential tool in the toolbox.

Hm.  So much new information to consider.  So, where did the GM land on the whole "ascetic removes the second weapon" thing?  How would you feel about me taking Daikoku's curse and losing that second weapon in place of the koku I don't have because I'm a wastrel?  That would seem like sacrificing the "necessary item" you mentioned previously.  Otherwise, the only items I could lose to Daikoku would be my Robes (walking into town naked?  I'd rather not), my Wakizashi (That's from my Gempukku!  I'm not going to wager that!), or my scroll case (which would make me a rather awful Shugenja).  I could always find a way to get a bow later.

Also, are we already here or are we starting as characters start filtering into Owl lands?
Ons/Offs

kckolbe

Lechery is fine, just wanted to get a better idea of it.  I would rather avoid the curse.  You aren't lacking for drawbacks, after all, and I don't feel it adds anything.

You would be beginning outside Owl lands, with your first adventure being on the way there, ish.

Intro Thread

hellrazoromega

hellrazoromega: 1 pt per year is correct, just wanted to be sure since 3rd ed was 45 points.  Just coincidence.

So, tell me more about her fiance, and what kind of plot elements you hope to see there. 

Additionally, I'm not crazy about the Sacred Weapon.  If she was so highly valued, why was she given up?

Fumiko is not one for courtly life and would rather be in the outdoors and not one for formalities, so I had more envisioned her betrothed as a bushi  who would try to get her to be more "proper."  Deep down Fumiko is defiant and fears her betrothed may try to 'tame' her of her wild ways, whether or not that is true I an content to leave open to the GM.

I'll just switch out the blade and take the Wary and Lip Reading advantages instead which would make her one year older since that is one more XP. To the last question I would say that would depend on the though process of those you send to a new clan. If you send only 'average' Bushi is that an insult? Do you send some exemplary Bushi so as not to insult? I guess it goes back to the question of wheret or not the Crab want the Owl to succeed and be close allies or not. If the Crab see the Owl as allies guarding their backs then why not send them some of your up and comers.

Still a WIP but switched the advantages, added equipment and changed games for medicine. 

Character Summary
Clan: OWL
Insight Rank: 1
School: Hiruma Scout School
Insight:
Hair: Black and wild
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5' 5"
Weight 120 lbs.
Status/Taint
Honor: 4
Glory: 1
Taint: 0
Rings and Skills
Earth 2, Stamina 2, Willpower 2
Air 2, Reflexes 3, Awareness 2
Water 2, Strength 2, Perception 3
Fire 2 Agility 3, Intelligence 2
Void 2

Hunting: 2----------------------Perception 5k3
Kyujutsu: 2---------------------Reflexes 5k3
Kenjutsu: 3 (Katana)--------Agility 6k3 1k0 to damage rolls

Stealth: 3 (Sneaking)---------Agility 6k3 Simple Move actions in stealth allow Water x5
Defense: 3-----------------------Reflexes 6k3 Keep a defense roll for subsequent rounds.
Athletics: 3---------------------Strength 5k2 No impediments from moderate terrain. Difficult terrain only reduces water ring by 1 rather than 2
Lore (Shadowlands) 1-----Intelligence 3k2
Medicine 1---------------------Intelligence 3k2
Artisan (Origami) 1 ---------Awareness 3k2
Advantages & Disadvantages
Wary 2
Read Lips 4
Quick Healer 3
Silent 3
Crab Hands 2

Antisocial 5 -1k1 to all social rolls
Contrary 3
Bitter Betrothal 2
Combat
Katana Attack 6k3, Defense 6k3, Damage 5K2
Tanto Attack 6k2
Han-Kyu--- Range 100' Str 1, Attack Roll 6k3, Damage 1k0
Willow leaf Arrows (20) 2k2
Flesh Cutter Arrows (5) 2k3 (Double Armor TN bonus from armor, 1/2 range
Armor Piercing Arrows (5) 1k1 (Ignore Armor TN bonus from Armor)
Ashigaru Armor: TN Bonus 3, Reduction Bonus 1

Initiative: 4k3+3
Base TN: 20
Current TN 23
Current Reduction 1
Wounds: 0=10,+3=14, +5=18,+10=22, +15=26, +20=30, +40=34 (Must spend void to attack), Out 38.
Healing: Quick Healer: (Stamina+2)x2+Insight=11

School
Rank 1
Dance the Razors Edge: Add Stealth Rank to initiative rolls, , Can make Food, Water and Jade last twice as long for a number of people equal to Hunting skill rank (3). Add 1k0 to stealth rolls when in the Shadowlands and always know the direction of the Empire and roughly how far away it is.
Equipment
4 Fingers of Jade
--Blanket
--Bottle of water
--Chopsticks
--Flint and Tinder
--Grapple Hook
--Miniature Go set
--Rope (50')
--Week's Rations
--Whetstone
--Small metal bowl/ cook pot
Traveling Pack
Metal Mirror
Medicine Kit
Tatami mat
Several strips of old cloth about 2' wide and 12"-18" long all in muted browns and grays
Traveling cloak.
3 large dark silk scarves.

Annaamarth

Quote from: kckolbe on July 24, 2015, 03:12:55 PM
Lechery is fine, just wanted to get a better idea of it.  I would rather avoid the curse.  You aren't lacking for drawbacks, after all, and I don't feel it adds anything.

You would be beginning outside Owl lands, with your first adventure being on the way there, ish.

Alright, no curse.

It occurs to me that I've been narrowing my perspective focussing on the bow.  While in Crab lands, it seems just as likely that I'd have picked up some other combat skill.  How would you feel about Maseko waltzing around with a masakari or a tetsubo?  Alternatively, a Yari? After all, Mantis might spearfish.  Or throw boarding harpoons...
Ons/Offs