Original universe mech anime RP!

Started by SargentToughie, May 06, 2011, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pendarious

Pilot:

Name: Hashieda Hachi (written in japanese)

Appearance:

Sexual Preference: Straight

Personality: A laid back sort of fellow with few cares in the world. He enjoys MW with a passion. well he loves machines in general. He also loves to mess with people a bit.

History: Hachi was born the son of an average mechanic. He spent his youth learning from his father how to work with machines of varying types. He developed a fondness for big and loud machines but not only that but he also found an attraction to the MW matches. At the age of 12 he took up an official job under his father. In his spare time he began to construct a MW out of parts he snuck out from under his fathers nose.

He did maintain his job under his father until he was 15. His father an alcoholic went out and in got arrested while under the influence. This forced Hachi to take controll of the business his father had run. Of course having learned everything his father knew about machines and business over the years he was easily able to keep things running smoothely. However in his free time he continued to build the MW that he had started when he was 12. He knew that it wouldn't be like any usual produced machine and would probably have substandard parts but he was prepared to take on the concequences for this.

Here he was 20 years old and finally the machine he had been working on was complete and he was ready to enter the MW battles. His business was also still thriving and he had decided that he would continue to work as a mechanic between battles.

MW:

Name: Aurius

Appearance:

Standard weapons:
Two shoulder mounted autocannons
one mouth mounted beam cannon
four missle pods on mounted in the torso

Optional weapons: None

Systems:

Wide Area Analysis- it's built in with a scannner that has a wide area reach.

Orbital thrusters- despite the implication of the name the two large thrusters built on the bottom of the machine merely serve to enhance it's speed. they are detachable and have detonaters set inside them. they explode when ejected thus creating either a boost for the machine to accelerate off of or explode in the enemies face.

Special Note: the beam cannon in the machines mouth uses a special battery so it has a limited use of 3-5 shots depending on the size of the battery placed inside.

Construction and history:

This machine was built to be fairly large. It has thick armor and it's flight capabilities are actually fairly mobile. For all it's bulk it is quite agile. it isn't exactly designed for close range combat but the rotation of the autocannons covers almost any direction. Hachi not only is a mechanical maniac but he also has a fascination with explosives. that's what the missle pods are for. He wanted something akin to a mobile mini fortress and that's exactly what it is. He doesn't expect to actually win with this monster he's just in it for the fun and excitement.

I hope his works
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

SargentToughie

Quote from: Joslyn on May 06, 2011, 09:04:21 PM
I have a suggestion here. I can see why the Eberhart might have this weapon--seeing as it was built for actual war instead of a sport--but it such a weapon should probably be illegal by the rules of the MBF due to targetting the pilots directly.

He actually talked to me about this, it's more of a mild ringing sound in their ear then anything else.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Joslyn

Okay, I've come up with a mech for Beth. This is my first time attempting to do something like this, but I hope it is okay:

---

Name: Lissa

Appearance: The Lissa is less angular in its lines than most mechs, giving it a more organic, humanoid look. Before each match it is painted in camouflage appropriate to the part of the battlefield Beth expects to be fighting in the most—grays for urban ruins, green and brown in a forest, etc.

Standard Weaponry:

- 1x Railgun. This long weapon is attached to the right arm. It has no recoil due to magnetically accelerating its large, armor piercing rounds. It normally fires one shot at a time, but it can also fire multiple rounds in rapid bursts in an attempt to defeat projectile countermeasures.

- 1x Artillery. Long range, high explosives useful in situations where indirect fire is needed. Shoulder mounted. Due to all the room taken up by the railgun ammo, this only has eight shots.

- 3x Plasma Cannon. Good for medium range and close-up work. Their heat can also ignite fires in certain situations. Torso mounted, two on the front and one on the back that fires behind the Lissa. These weapons have an alternate fire mode that shoots a large number of weak plasma blasts rapidly in random directions—this is a last-ditch missile defense and can also be visually confusing to anyone close-by.

- 1 x Vibro-Machette. Effective at cutting through armor. Normally hidden within the left arm, but deploys into and retracts from the hand on command.

Optional Weaponry: None.

Other Systems:

- 2 x Jumpjets. Allow for four impressively long jumps per battle. Located on the lower legs.

- Low Emissions System. This is not so much a single item as a series of design choices that lower emissions and make the Lissa more difficult to detect. The Lissa only has passive sensors in order to make this system work.

- The Lissa has above average speed, but below average armor as a consequence. Beth relies on her quick reflexes to make this tradeoff beneficial.

Construction and History:

The Lissa is a highly customized machine that Beth ordered and received two years ago. It was named after her wife. The mech was relatively expensive to build, and would not have been possible except for Beth’s preference to live in a modest apartment and stick to the middle-class lifestyle she is accustomed to. Funds from a few key sponsors were also important here, though Beth is scrupulous about only taking money from companies that are relatively ethical.

When seen in a holovid by spectators, the Lissa has numerous advertising decals that are put there through computer graphics—they do not actually exist on the machine itself.

While the Lissa is an impressive machine, there are others in the MBF that are even more expensive or have more firepower. What is good about the mech is that it is versatile and stealthy, which perfectly compliments Beth’s style.

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, the sonar cannon originally was lethal but Jareth tuned it down so it now only causes major headache and makes ear ring for hours after the match. It's meant to be a 'dirty trick' in his sleeve to affect the driver instead the mech. Strong headache is meant to distract opponent with intense pain and give him opening to use his mega punch effect.

Silk

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 07, 2011, 07:08:27 AM
Yeah, the sonar cannon originally was lethal but Jareth tuned it down so it now only causes major headache and makes ear ring for hours after the match. It's meant to be a 'dirty trick' in his sleeve to affect the driver instead the mech. Strong headache is meant to distract opponent with intense pain and give him opening to use his mega punch effect.

So its the mech equivilant of a flash bang?

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, like a flashbang but the duration of it's effect is harshest when cannon is focused on. But he cannot keep it no longer than ten seconds screaming towards you and after effect is basically stun and disorient the driver with pain from ear drums nearly exploding. Before the sonar cannon was capable create fractures in skull frame and literally blow brains inside the skull with high frequency pitch. But he toned it down so it does not kill but it's hell painful. But anyways it would be rare weapon as manufacture of said weapons was stopped years ago and tech is mostly forgotten. So in sense the weapon is antique but consider it was centuries since it was used so it's new to the sports events (and so that's why most mechs have no defenses build in against it).

Of course when Jareth uses it often, it means others could try start mimick it or try develop defenses against it. But the first season or so people who get hit by sonar cannon will remember it long time :P.

Silk

Zaer Darkwail

Good earplugs yes, but part of the sonar cannon will pass the ear plugs and head directly to the brain. Cause ripples in victims brain and so create headache effect. The sonar cannon was designed to bypass most mundane forms of defenses against it (if it would be completely negated with just earplugs it would be moot war weapon). But you can add sound mufflers to mech structure to reduce impact of said weapon and good ear plugs would cover it rest and leave only annoying sound. Annoyance of course being similar when someone screeches the drawing board with nails.

SargentToughie

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 07, 2011, 08:56:28 AM
Good earplugs yes, but part of the sonar cannon will pass the ear plugs and head directly to the brain. Cause ripples in victims brain and so create headache effect. The sonar cannon was designed to bypass most mundane forms of defenses against it (if it would be completely negated with just earplugs it would be moot war weapon). But you can add sound mufflers to mech structure to reduce impact of said weapon and good ear plugs would cover it rest and leave only annoying sound. Annoyance of course being similar when someone screeches the drawing board with nails.

Alright, but be careful with your frequency of using this weapon. If you spam it in every fight you're in, that's god moding, and we can't have any of that. Everybody deserves an equal chance to win, no exceptions.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, do not plan spam it. Also it takes one varied weapon slots and he may use another weapon instead. As sonar cannon has recharge time so he cannot consecutively fire it off every ten seconds. It could be said he can fire it once or twice per minute. Around 3-4 in combat posts between it's uses.

SargentToughie

But it still leaves the opponent with that searing pain to take into consideration. The way I see it, if you use it once, the enemy would lose if this RP was real.
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I am fine if it is 'one shot' special attack which is meant to make foe loose the fight (not neccesary but make fight much harder at least with ringing headache). But he needs be close and foe must not be moving as the frequency is tight lined 'pipe' so it needs two to three seconds to keep still (me and the foe) to make impact work. But what closer he fires it that stronger the cannon effect is.

SargentToughie

Oh, okay then. As long as it's not a case of "I push button, I win" we'll be alright.
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, I mean most his weapons are gimmicks which he needs overcome with making foe vulrenable. Only really non-gimmick weapons is the electric wire. But it's one weapons which he launches in start because it has long range (one shot use) and it disables only short time the legs. The wire is not strong so any mecha hand can snap them and make feet feel sluggish for while because of the electricity shock to hamper leg movement. But if foe recovers legs and he has no means slow foe down; he is stuck with medium fire options (and may not be much if foe is focusing to be long range combatant).

So only real weakness for Jareth's mecha is that altough it has long lasting battery but it will over time wear down and it can reach point where his battery runs out and he needs surrender just bit before battery runs out. Yield to victor because he's running out juice. Also his plating is not indestructible, a good accurate attacks can wear his plating down but it does not happen fast tough.

Joslyn

I don't think it's realistic that any of the pilots are going to put up with being attacked directly by this sonar cannon. If everyone is already aware it exists, every single pilot has probably already modified their mech to resist it. What reason would they have not to?

Not to mention that this weapon would have no effect that would be visible to the audience, making it boring for them--who wants to see a mech just randomly fall over and lose for no discernable reason? I can't think of one argument why the MBF would have deemed this legal for their matches. And certainly they would have to check all weapons before the match starts, to make sure there is nothing that could breach cockpit armor and kill the pilots.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, the thing is that Jareth has not used it often note. He had used in unregular fashion. Just for sake keep his abilities unpredictable for his opponents to try counter.

The past matches what he have been have been in amateur league and there the nobody had not asked why pilots lost. Why they suddenly stopped moving as mechs or why they moved funny with their mecs. My char is completely new and fresh star in the MBF. A rising black horse in this season. So folks simply do not know what hell is happening. Anyways my cannon is not meant to be instant IWIN button. It most best disorients the pilot for quite sometime after succesful impact is done. So opponent mechs do not just fall down even if they receive blast from cannon in point blank range. But if blast is done in closer range (say; in grappling mechs) it then can cause pilot go stunned state for short time and make pilot loose the match as he cannot do anything in stunned state. It's not meant work from very long distances but he can try use it but effect in return is not strong nor lasting long (distance disorients and breaks the blast from said cannon).

Even in point blank range blast the cannon is not lethal to pilots. It causes injury yes (mostly headache and disorientation). It does not harm cockpit either nor any mech systems. Altough unique in sense that it's war technology which has not been implented in mechs (present modern ones) but MBF security team allowed it pass as it can encourage mech pilots spend money to new developed weapons and add new dimensions to the figths; a invisible threats. If MBF recording team would find out how to make sonar cannon blast visual on screen (and it could be possible) they will do it. But in actual fight the blast cannot be seen without special sensors.

Joslyn

I'm not concerned about game balance issues, but the internal contradictions the weapon creates for the setting itself. For a fictional setting to work it has to be populated by characters who all have their own motivations and ability to think and make decisions.

I need a reason to understand why the MBF has specifically ruled in this weapon, or why they'd make themselves legally vulnerable by not inspecting weapons and clearing them ahead of time. Also why the pilots would put up with being kept in the dark and then suddenly exposed to intense pain they believe is not supposed to happen in their jobs. Also, what I said earlier about the weapon being boring for the audience--there would have to be people in the MBF who are paid to think about stuff like that.

EDIT: I've been talking with demonwing about this issue in PM and he has a solution that I think works. I'll let him explain it.

SargentToughie

Alright, hang on you two, Lemme settle this through PM with both parties.

EDIT: conflict resolved. The weapon is allowed because the MBF is bribed by companies to let him use it. It looks rather bad on opposing companies if they lose to a no name pilot who doesn't have any backing. The bribers are willing to watch rival companies crash and burn through any means necessary, so they shove so much money in the MBF's face that the league almost doesn't have a choice but to turn a blind eye.

The fighters hit by the beam are reimbursed for the pain if anything is brought up, and the whole matter is swept under the rug with the excuse "We're looking into the matter deeper."
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, so Jareth is not aware that companies are kind of assisting him by bribing MBF to let him use his war arsenal in the figths. War arsenal which normally would not allowed or implented. Altough he does not accept sponsors he is ruining presenation of other companies by defeating their sponsored mech pilots (by making them loose the match).

Like that sort of twist in the deal :). Could bring interesting RP for Jareth if he ever finds out there that sort dirty deals done behind his back (and others may think he is doing it as he's public past is kind of mystery in common media). Also I think MBF has somesort health insurance policy for their pilots. So if they get disoriented or hurt by malfunctioning cockpit ejects or something such they get well paid from pain in the match. Altough still experience is not pleasant.

Joslyn

Oh, I have a couple suggestion that are thankfully not related to the sonar cannon. ;P

The first is that we should probably include a number of NPC mooks in our battles--I'm perfectly willing to have my character get defeated her fair share of the time by player characters, but I don't want her to look incompetent by getting zero kills in a battle. All our character so far are supposed to be either experts or at least above average, so they should look that way.

Also, we should probably agree on a series of standard features all mechs have just to avoid confusion:

- I figure all mechs should have the ability to use magnifying scopes, use light applification for night-time matches, pick up part of the nonvisible spectrum (infrared and ultraviolet). There might be optional radar as well.

- We should probably decide if the mechs operate only on batteries or if there is actually some sort of small fission or fusion reactor.

- Also, we can assume all mechs are somewhat resistant to EMP (otherwise those weapons would be one shot, one kill). And armor around the cockpit should be much heavier than the regular armor, to prevent pilot death.

- I liked Zaer's suggestion that the mechs are normally connected to some sort of network for communications purposes. This would also allow officials to monitor pilot vital signs and fans to hear what the pilots say. This could open up possibilities for illegal hacking or pilots attempting to cheat by receiving illegal information.

SargentToughie

Okay, MOVING ON from the Sonar cannon disaster... Let's go with Joslyn's suggestion to set some ground rules. These apply for ALL modern MWs, so everybody in the entire RP will be issued the following as part of a standard frame.

- I am very much for having NPC mooks around, they're kinda fun to play as once you get the method down.

- The 'eyes' are able to vary the brightness input, as they are the primary camera of any MW. Much like how human eyes adjust to darkness or light, the MW's main cameras adjust to brightness automatically and provide the pilot with a proper view of the battlefield regardless of the actual brightness of the area. Of course, these adjustors can be tampered with for special matches, like where both pilots fight in pitch blackness or something like that. They will also have a radar that picks up heat sources within range, they keep this rather low tech so that pilot intelligence and opposing tactics aren't TOTALLY trumped by technology.

- Micro Fusion reactor cores are standard issue, unless you're fighting in... say... an antique. The idea is that MWs can fight for a very long time without running out of energy, the idea of a battle being won because the enemy just shut down is boring, and nobody wants to lose because their batteries died. With the reactor cores, the idea of power loss being the source of a defeat is all but completely eliminated.

- While EMPs do have an effect on an MW's performance for a couple of seconds, it isn't an instant KO. This is thanks to a combination of technological advances within the MWs themselves, and handicaps put on all EMP based weapons. As for the armor around the cockpit, it uses a different type of material that's extremely expensive to come across to prevent pilot deaths. This is combined with regulations that punish those who target the cockpit with ANY kind of weapon. The cockpit for every modern MW is put in the upper torso, right about where the human heart lies, rather that's an aesthetic choice or a strategic one will be a mystery forever.

- The pilots of MWs are connected to two networks, NETCOM and SATCOM. NETCOM allows the pilots to talk to one another during matches, and is also connected to outer speakers that the audience can listen in on. Meanwhile, SATCOM is an encrypted channel where the pilot talks to his 'crew chief' about their assessment of the battlefield, and the two talk about potential battle strategies. Hacking into SATCOM is strictly forbidden, and those caught doing it are punished by law.

That should answer all of your questions on the matter.
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, I agree we should get some matches against NPC foes at first to avoid grudges. Some good matches even so they would not be all cake walks. What comes to features....

-I agree all mechs are able to get special scopes and night time sensor abilities and also non-clear visual sensors. Some special radars (like sonar radar) would be more rarer sensor stuff for mechs and suited for mostly detect moving objects without any visual data.

-I would say all mechs operate by batteries but that's me. Some would have nuclear fusion generators but it brings risk if the nuclear fusion generator is breached it can leak radiation or cause explosion which kills both mechs. So for safety reasons batteries are forced to be used and it gives certain max limit how long mech matches can last. Some mechs got weaker batteries while some have quite tremendous output time.

-I agree EMP does not disable mech. It does not prevent mech moving. But it can hamper any aiming with weapons which depend on computer based aim systems or some other systems which asks delicate electronics. Some thruster engines may be affected also to unable to start as the trigger mechanism is shocked stage from EMP.

-Aye, all present modern mechs are connected with electronic web layer which gives 100% constant data on mech's condittion to repair teams and also mech crew regarding pilot's condittion. It's also connected to mech's computer so hacking on battle can cause malfunctions in opponents or easier to scan what weapons foe has acquired for this match. But Jareth's case his mech was build when there was no such advanced information webs and he considers it a strenght of sort. As his mech is unreadable to any hacking attempts but in bad side if something is fucked up in his mech, no one would know it and also if he gets hurt or deadly injured, nobody would know it and mech could act on autopilot.

Also to add; I think all mechs have security cockpits made so that if there is risk cockpit is breached or destroyed. Automatic emergency launcher kicks the pilot and cockpit off the mech before the deadly hit. As some weapons may accidentally breach the hull of cockpit. Jareth's case it's not automatic but manual release. As the emergency cockpit release asks the electric information scan network to function.

Zaer Darkwail

Ahaa, I see you replied Demonwing :P. Oh well, Jareth is using antique and so it runs by batteries. But his case batteries last for one whole day so he is not going down fast. But if foe plans play patient (boring) waiting game for his batteries to run out then I think that sort guy looses popularity of the fans.

SargentToughie

Yeah, I like your idea about having the machines themselves connected to a network all their own, I was only thinking from a communication standpoint. Your idea for keeping tabs on the condition of the MWs through a network is a good one, and it will be implemented. However, I don't think I'm too fond of the idea of your machine having an autopilot mechanic. The idea of the MBF is that it takes human intelligence, creativity, and skill, and combines it with the power of a mech. If the computer takes over for the pilot, then it defeats the entire purpose of having humans inside of MWs.
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Autopilot is only for simple movements, like running forward and avoid terrain obstacles. Not suitable for battles at all and were meant if war mech pilot was forced to march, let's say, eight hours through terrain. Consider mech has 24 hour duration battery the pilot literally sits inside mech whole time. So for avoid battle field fatique they could take a nap and put on autopilot which will loudly scream if there is incoming enemies in radar radius (or anything moving massive objects which would fit to trucks or jeep size).

But I am fine if you ban autopilot idea. But overall Jareth's condition cannot be monitored so it's health risk hazard for him not have the network but it simply does not work with his mech. As the armor plating which protects him from energy attacks (like plasma) deflects also electric frequencies which are needed for said network. He of course can use the coms and observe his own mech condittion from computer.