"I'll die before the endgame." Terry Prachett, on life and death

Started by Jeramiahh, August 08, 2009, 12:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Oniya

And when his time comes (like another commenter said, hopefully many years from now), Death will arrive, hold out his hand and say 'RIGHT, SIR.  TIME TO BE OFF NOW.  WE'LL CARRY ON.'

(Caps because Death talks like that.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

It’s an unfortunate reality that any of us might reach a point in life were getting out seems the best option, but sadly events like terminal illnesses can become a living hell, and there’s a point where you must draw the line between living and simply surviving. Life is important, but so is quality of life.

That being said, I deny any state claims that they can tell you whether you can take yourself out. It's MY fucking body, if I ever reached this point I WILL DO WHAT I WANT.

No government can ‘grant’ or ‘deny’ any person rights. This is an illusion propagated by the powers that be to appear more legitimate and powerful than they actually are. They can only choose to hinder or not hinder your pursuit of your rights.

And it is not up to the government to tell me what my rights are- my own decision will I make on that.

HairyHeretic

To be honest, it seems more like the religious types that push this angle.

If I were in faced with an incurable terminal illness, one that would destroy my body or mind, I'd rather go out with some dignity than hang on months in increasing pain and/or decreasing lucidity.

You'd put an animal down, rather than let it suffer. Shouldn't a person have that same mercy available?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Serephino

You'd think so... but human life is considered too precious.  I wouldn't want to die slowly and painfully either, but many people are forced to do just that.  If anyone is caught helping a termanally ill person to die they get arrested for murder.  That is just screwed up. 

I know this may sound cold, but modern medicine keeps a lot of people alive that shouldn't be.  Like Overlord said, quality of life is important.  If there's something wrong with you where you're bed bound and can't hardly move or even talk, that's not much of a life now is it?  I know I'd hate it.  I hate my life as it is, I can't imagine not even being able to do something as simple as going to the bathroom by myself. 

Pumpkin Seeds

I will begin by saying that I do believe in euthanasia and a person’s ability to choose the end of their life.  My family is a firm believer in the right of a person to live and the right of a person to have a dignified death.  Particularly my mother believes in hospice care and is a firm believer that she is helping a person and their families make that transition.  In a strange way she believes that she is helping a person’s soul pass easily into the next life. 

A terminally ill patient can be referred to a hospice center or hospice homecare if they so desire.  Simply contacting the physician and asking for the referral is all that is required.  A person is then taken off all life saving medicines and procedures.  They are put on comfort measures which amount to a staggering amount of pain medication and left to their own devices.  Nurses come to make sure the person is comfortable and check their status.  The government even covers a lot of this care and patients are able to take advantage of this in most cases.

People are also free to refuse treatment.  There is a legal document that people can fill out called a Living Will.  In that document are advance directives where the person may declare what they will allow to be done to themselves should they be unable to make those decisions for themselves.  A person may also elect a guardian to make sure these directives are put into effect.  This keeps medicine from doing what its accused of, keeping someone alive past their desired point. 

Myrleena

The Overlord

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 08, 2009, 06:02:10 PM

You'd put an animal down, rather than let it suffer. Shouldn't a person have that same mercy available?

About sums it up.

Pumpkin Seeds

Captain Maltese

It hasn't been mentioned I notice, that the medical industry is 'reaping' a tidy profit from all those slow deaths. There's a lot of money in having people watch those expensive machines and feed those painkillers.

Irrelevantly, the newest pic of Terry immediately made me think - Archchancellor Ridcully.

Personally I have a good griend in cal 9mm who should be able to grant quick mercy if the situation rises. I just hope I won't be splattering a dreary white room smelling of disinfectant, rubber tubes and substandard showering schedules when I do, because then I have waited for too long.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Oniya

Not to sound grim, but once they put you in a position of 'pain management', all it takes is a little 'mismanagement', and you won't have to stay on those expensive pain killers for much longer.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I wonder if his daughter (who has done comic books and video games) will carry on.