One Piece: Grand Fleet! (Sandbox One Piece Group) All slots filled.

Started by Batman4560, December 05, 2017, 09:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggtacular

If the captain spot is open again I'd like to switch to that if possible. I was dead tired when I went for 1st Mate and didn't realize gm would only be baddies.

Nygenn

I would actually want to know if there are any plans for where the crew might start. Do they already know each other and do we work out some connections between the characters, which I would highly suggest for a stronger foundation. Or do we just make characters and then have first meetings in game, in which case the positions on board of the ship are yet to be determined. A first mate can just as easily be a captain and visa versa.

Batman4560

Nothing is set in stone yet so let me see some character sheets and I'll tell whoever puts in for Captain who might make a better one and we can go from there!

The crew are all going to start on the same island being their for whatever reason, be it they live there, are just stopping by or were forced to make a landing. Something will happen that will force the characters together and from there they will join up. That being said if players want their characters to know other characters that is fine. I'm a very reactionary DM and the word "No" isn't something I like to throw around.

Nygenn

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 07, 2017, 10:28:49 PM
Nothing is set in stone yet so let me see some character sheets and I'll tell whoever puts in for Captain who might make a better one and we can go from there!

The crew are all going to start on the same island being their for whatever reason, be it they live there, are just stopping by or were forced to make a landing. Something will happen that will force the characters together and from there they will join up. That being said if players want their characters to know other characters that is fine. I'm a very reactionary DM and the word "No" isn't something I like to throw around.

Dude, that fact that you're hosting a game without insisting on having a personal character or two in the lead already puts you head and shoulders above other GM's I've encountered. Combine that with a willingness to free form a One Piece campaign and I'm willing to throw in all my chips to help make this thing work.

Batman4560

I'm glad! Those are the kinds of writers I want here, people who have a passion to see something tell a complete story. I'd rather have 3 writers who are only okay at writing but want to craft an epic than 8 writers who are great but aren't in it for a long haul.

Batman4560

Steir

Let me try my hand at making a character. This post is still subject to changes depending on what Batman says. ;3c

BASIC INFO:
Name: Taiga
Pirate Title/Nickname/Aliases: Many-Fanged Taiga
Home Island/Part of the World: a martially-focused island somewhere in South Blue
Role/Secondary Role: Helmsman/Weaponsmith (possibly subject to change)
Education: Taiga has undergone apprenticeship under a skilled weaponsmith on the island he grew up in, and taught himself to fight by experience on the streets and watching others. He has learned enough basic education to read, write, and count and get around making and maintaining weapons, but nothing more complicated than that.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 148 lbs
Hair color: Blond
Eye color: Blue
Ethnicity: Asian
General Appearance: Taiga could be best described as a simple and straightforward youth who's mostly engrossed with whatever is important to him. He dresses based on the need - shirt, pants, boots, and some shoulder plates, arm braces, and light greaves for protection. The young man always carries at least one sword on his person, together with two to three knives just in case. His unkempt, spiky hair tends to stand up near the rear, making them resemble feline ears, while his canine tend to be more pronounced and visible even with his mouth closed.

OTHER INFORMATION:
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Ons/Offs: Please refer to this page
Wealth Level: Taiga has just enough money to get by, earning more by maintaining weapons for others or acting as a bodyguard.
Personality: Taiga is an honest and diligent individual, known to work hard when he figured out what he had to do. He is not one to shy away from strong individuals, hoping to match up against such people to measure his own strength as well as that of the weapons he makes. He's not fond of complicated matters and situations, preferring to get things done as soon as possible without much fanfare. He also tends to be slow at catching on to the feelings of others.

STATS: (distribute 40 points among the following stats. We won't be using a system, but I would like a fairly specific idea of what these characters are capable of in case we need a dice roll to solve something. Ten is max, 0-3 is poor, 4-6 is mediocre, 7-9 is exceptional.

Fighting: 07 - Agility: 07 - Strength: 07 - Endurance: 07 - Reason: 03 - Intuition: 04 - Psyche: 05

Special Attacks: (limit of total 'special attacks' is five. Basically, don't get silly with it.)
Fang Rush - From a defensive stance with his weapon, Taiga charges forward with an explosive speed to deliver a straight thrust aimed at a perceived exposed spot. Taiga can switch this move up to go for Fang Rush Vertical (upward slash with weapon) or Fang Rush Horizontal (swinging slash) to catch the opponent off guard.
Soaring Stinger - Taiga throws a good number of his throwing weapons at the target's limbs or clothes, aiming to immobilize them against nearby objects or on the ground.
Bamboo Cutter - Taiga uses his explosive strength to leap into the air, then takes advantage of gravity to descend onto his opponent while striking them on the head with a heavy weapon.
Garou Step - Taiga rushes up to the opponent to deliver a quick strike with his primary weapon, followed by another weapon on his off-hand.
Benkei Kourin - Taiga rushes with explosive speed to deliver a flurry of successive strikes at his target with several different weapons. Taiga tends to get exhausted after using this attack, saving it usually as his trump card when all else fails.

ADVANTAGES: (limit of total 'advantages' is four. Examples of advantages: Noble, perceptive, knows multiple languages, brave, detail oriented, willful, charismatic, etc.
Scrapper - Taiga is known to get up even after taking a lot of punishment from his opponents, pushing himself until he exhausts every option he has available.
Fighting Instincts - While not formally schooled or trained by a martial arts master, Taiga can fight like it is the most natural thing for him to do.
Quick Hands - Taiga is nimble with his hands, which can be the envy of thieves in training. He uses this to quickly switch around the weapons he wields.
Improviser - Taiga has a knack at figuring out how to use even everyday objects as weapons. Chairs, tables, plates, even a curtain is fair game and could be used to defend himself from imminent harm from his opponent.

DISADVANTAGES: (also known as character flaws. All characters need flaws and shortcomings, torture your creation!! It's fun. Minimum of three for all characters, more is suggested.)
Dense - Taiga takes things as he sees them, and thus will miss out on any delicate hints directed his way. You have to spell it out in his face or he won't notice them at all.
Unmannered - growing up working in a smithy and fighting in the streets may have made Taiga a fighter, but he lacks tact and manners required for proper social interactions
Brawl!!! - if someone picks a fight with Taiga, he will gladly take it even if it is a bad time for one. If there's a fight in a bar or the streets, chances are he's right in the middle of it.
Someone's in trouble! - Taiga is a sucker for sob stories, and is easily convinced to help when someone seems to be in trouble.

SKILLS: (limit of five, these are capabilities outside of advantages and powers. Trained skills that took practice and dedication to master. These will usually be referenced to in history below, since it's impossible to learn a skill without spending some time doing it.)
Weaponsmithing: - learned skill at making weapons requiring a forge. Taiga has spent most of his childhood and teenage years learning how to make weapons from a skilled weaponsmith from his home island. It is crucial for his dream of creating the strongest weapons that can defeat any foe they come across.
Sword Fighting: - informal fighting skills backed up by his instincts that Taiga learned while testing his weapons in the streets and in the wild of his home island. Taiga gets by surviving the seas and other dangerous encounters by fighting his way through them.
Hunting: - hunting wild animals for food. Taiga's home island has been known for giant-sized beasts roaming about. Survival meant being able to take down one for the sake of food and other necessities.

HISTORY:

Taiga grew up at an island known for monstrous creatures in its wilderness. There are frequent casualties among the populace as warriors are sent out to hunt and take down these creatures. The most respected people in the village are those who can build powerful weapons for the warriors as well as those warriors who can fell the monstrous beasts. Adopted by an elderly weaponsmith, Taiga spent most of his days as an apprentice - cleaning and assisting around the smithy while learning all he can by observation and practice on his own during his free time.

He felt an itching discontent when he finally managed to complete his first weapon - a simple knife made from the common materials on the island. He started sneaking out to help warriors in their hunt by carrying their gear. He also spent time sparring against other kids and novice warriors to learn pointers. While he grew up becoming a novice weaponsmith and occasionally a warrior for the island, he felt that he wasn't pushing himself enough. Fighting against monsters was one thing, as well as making weapons to fight against monsters. He learned from visitors to the island how much more vast the world is and how there were stronger warriors out there as well as powerful weapons in existence.

Taiga's mind was made up after some thinking (which wasn't long), and after a heated discussion with his master and other superiors he finally set off to seek out strong warriors to learn from and measure his weapons and skills against.

Dream: To become the strongest warrior and make the strongest weapons

OTHER NOTES: ---

Batman4560

Everything looks good but it seems we have two candidates for Helmsman so I will message you both and we can see who will end up being the helmsman or the two of you can work that out yourselves.

Steir

I can go with any other role if it becomes a problem.

It's just helmsman seems to be the most fitting role for someone who has muscle for brains.

:3c

kingmaster1

BASIC INFO:
Name: Rairaku
Pirate Title/Nickname/Aliases: The red oni
Home Island/Part of the World: South blue
Role/Secondary Role: Captain/first mate
Education: Rairuka has gotten her teachings from a long line of tutors that raised her in place of parents. Trained in the cold wilderness and made to survive on her own regularly her tutelage came between bouts of fierce animal attacks and rampant hunger issues.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200 lbs
Hair color: White
Eye color: Brown
Ethnicity: Red
General Appearance: Rairaku will dress in loose pants and no shirt no matter the weather or instance, she views armor as the decoration of a coward. Though already looking well sized while bandaged her breasts are quite massive when left free to the cool air, a practice she will almost always follow when on her own ship. She will always heft about her large, wooden club and a massive jug of home brewed alcohol she will periodically drink throughout her day and especially during combat.

OTHER INFORMATION:
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual (lesbian leaning)
Ons/Offs: Refer to player's own
Wealth Level: Dirt poor from birth
Personality:
Hot headed, ill tempered, and impulsive, Rairuka can fly off the handle quite quickly if the right buttons are pushed. When not angry the woman is quite boisterous and prideful, often challenging others to bouts of strength and drinking competitions. She is fiercely loyal to her crew, easily ready to lay her life on the line for their protection and fight to her dying breath to defend them and their ship.

STATS: (distribute 40 points among the following stats. We won't be using a system, but I would like a fairly specific idea of what these characters are capable of in case we need a dice roll to solve something. Ten is max, 0-3 is poor, 4-6 is mediocre, 7-9 is exceptional.

Fighting: 10 - Agility: 05 - Strength: 10 - Endurance: 10 - Reason: 01 - Intuition: 03 - Psyche: 01

Special Attacks: (limit of total 'special attacks' is five. Basically, don't get silly with it.)
Obsidian smash - Rairuka jumps high up into the air and plummets down, brandishing her wooden club. The force of impact combined with her own strength creates quite a large impact point and deals heavy, blunt damage.
Keg slam - Rairuka raises her heavy jug and rushes forward, slamming into her enemy with the hardened pot
Drunken punch - Drinking heavily from her jug of alcohol Rairuka embraces the fuzzy reality and throws her entire body weight into her strikes, fighting with reckless abandon
Bite - Rairuka bites down on her enemy with her strong, sharp jaws

ADVANTAGES: (limit of total 'advantages' is four. Examples of advantages: Noble, perceptive, knows multiple languages, brave, detail oriented, willful, charismatic, etc.
Survivalist - Rairuka is able to take any wild animal and cook it into something relatively edible
Brewer - An experienced alcohol brewer; Rairuka knows several dozen recipes of varying alcohol to make
Heavy drinker - Not only can Rairuka brew some damn good alcohol she can also drink with the best of them, able to down insane amounts of volatile substances into her unbeatably strong liver and kidneys

DISADVANTAGES: (also known as character flaws. All characters need flaws and shortcomings, torture your creation!! It's fun. Minimum of three for all characters, more is suggested.)
Quick tempered - It takes very little to get under Rairuka's skin, especially if she already doesn't like you
Lusty - Her base instinct of mating can guide many of her decisions, always wanting to show off when a potential mate is nearby
Drunk - Regularly inebriated, her decision making is often hindered by this

SKILLS: (limit of five, these are capabilities outside of advantages and powers. Trained skills that took practice and dedication to master. These will usually be referenced to in history below, since it's impossible to learn a skill without spending some time doing it.)
Hand to hand: - Trained extensively in physical combat from an early age, Rairuka is incredibly good in close range, hand-to-hand combat
Heavy weapon: - Having trained with her massive club her whole life Rairuka has developed impressive physical strength, giving her the ability to heft and wield massive weaponry with ease
Drunken fist style: - One of few who is proficient with the drunken fist style of kung fu, Rairuka's fighting style actually becomes more honed and precise when she's properly intoxicated

HISTORY:

Rairuka started life as an orphan, abandoned on the steps of a monastery upon her home island. There was no note left with her sleeping form, only a blanket and the basket she came in. Her physical appearance was an oddity as she grew up, her bright red skin and horns forcing the monks to keep her within the walls of the temple so that the surrounding village would not insult or assault the young girl. Her muscular power was quick to manifest, able to lift a full grown man above her head by five years old, this unnatural strength had set her upon the path to an ancient position for the monks. She was to become the gate keeper of the island, defending it from invasion or catastrophe. She would be regarded as a hero, the monks assured her.

She would train regularly with several of the masters at the temple, their method of teaching quite severe for a girl her age. Upon her fifteenth birthday she was presented with her first great challenge, being sent into the deep wilderness so she could survive using nothing but her strength, skill, and survival instincts. It was hard running, dozens of animals attempted to attack and eat her, for several nights she hid in trees just to get some peace and quiet. It was finally brought to a head when, during one night up in a tree, a large wolf had climbed up and grabbed her down. She plummeted to the forest floor and found herself surrounded. She picked up a large, broken tree limb and, with it, beat every single wolf to death.

The next morning she had clothing, food, and wolf teeth for the rest of her time. During her time training in the wilderness she would, occasionally, come across monks who were sent out to both check on her, and present new challenges for her. Sometimes she was to heft a boulder from one side of a river to another, other times she was made to best one or two other pupils in combat, even once she was made to carve an intricate pattern into a tree stump using her fingernails. Everything was grueling, everything was torturous. However, due to this, Rairuka's strength, endurance, and will to live increased ten fold.

The day had finally come for her to return to the monastery and continue her training in a more formal setting, however, life would not be so kind to the oni woman. Upon their arrival to the temple they found it in a panic, they'd gotten word that a massive ship was approaching the island, its origin unknown. With the others she took up weaponry, including the thick tree branch she'd kept throughout her trial since her fight with the wolves. Since that day she'd carved it to a better shape herself, now taking the appearance of a spiked club.

The monks lined up upon the coast, weapons at the ready, prepared for whatever invading force that came for them. The moment the ship touched down on their shore and men flooded out onto the beach the battle raged, weapons clashing, bodies falling and flailing, men and women crying out in combat. Rairuka fought with everything she had, a beast on the battlefield making quick work of any grunts she came across. It was only when the captain of the ship, a monolith of a man clad in black armor, showed himself that she felt something knew. Fear cut through her heart as she gazed up to him, the first time seeing a creature larger and stronger than herself.

Despite this fear she threw herself at the man, fighting with all the same ferocity she'd had prior. It wouldn't be enough, however, several strong blows from the man had the girl falling to her knees, looking up at him with a burning fire in her eyes. One last blow to the head robbed her of her consciousness.

She had no clue how long she'd been unconscious, the only thing she knew was that she wasn't dead and she was on a ship. Waves crashed against the wall beside her, a stiff, wooden plank was her bed, and she heard the sounds of men laughing above her. She'd been captured, this much was obvious. She had no clue what happened to the other monks, though she had her suspicions they'd all been slaughtered. Despair washed over her and the massive woman curled up into herself.

The days went by slowly after that, she eventually learned she was being held captive by a group calling themselves "The black clad conquerors". They didn't consider themselves pirates, they preferred a private military. Rairuka didn't care, to her they were all bastards. She stayed their captive for several weeks, listening to the things they said and trading insults with many of them. She never did see the captain of the ship a second time, perhaps he simply was too good to visit their captive. When they finally reached a port Rairuka knew what she needed to do, she couldn't be a captive to them any longer. They all left, or, at least the majority of them, going on to shore for shopping and grog, she was sure. With their absence she used her strength to bash open her cell door and rummaged about in their brig, eventually coming upon her club and a brew jug that she recognized from the temple. No doubt they'd held onto it after their raid. She cursed the men a thousand times over before jumping from their boat and swimming clear to the other side of the island.

She survived on this island for some time, using her skills to make herself a home, food, and new clothing. She needed to do something, needed to carry on the legend of the monks that taught her, needed to honor their memories somehow. The best way she could do that, to her, was to recall every bit of teaching they gave her and pass it on however she could.

Dream: Open up a new monastery on her own island to carry on the teachings of her masters

OTHER NOTES: ----

Hello!  ;D

Batman4560

Seems good, just gonna wait a few more days to make sure nobody else wants to challenge as captain. Mostly because I'm the devil.

kingmaster1

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 08, 2017, 02:43:40 AM
Seems good, just gonna wait a few more days to make sure nobody else wants to challenge as captain. Mostly because I'm the devil.

That makes sense ^_^

She's a bit of a brute but she can be a solid leader as well :P

Nygenn

I think the first 4 physical attributes are pretty self explanatory, but what do you understand under Reason, Intuition, and Psyche exactly?

I also understand that we're not really looking for anything realistic, or grounded rather, but that an anime sense of exaggeration is welcomed if not expected?

Batman4560

To explain it using One Piece examples...

Reason is how Luffy views being a pirate compared to everyone else's way of viewing things. "Pirates don't share their meat!"

Intuition would be something along the lines of how good Zoro is at reading a room or situation, let alone getting around alone.

Psyche being the ability to resist mental effects such as beer or hypnosis effects.

Anime sense of exaggeration is fine.

Also if you have a ranged effect please put a range in foot measurements on your character sheets. Remember to leave room for growth as I'm trying to figure out a way to give characters more as they grow as people.

Solistair

Nygenn

I'm fleshing out a character sheet for Captain, or alternatively I can see him work as Navigator as well. Will have to see what fits for the same of the group.

Also, is this a first come first serve type of game or are you going to be looking at the best candidates that apply? If you are indeed looking for people with a passion then perhaps some fort of screening method might be advisable?

Koekje

BASIC INFO:
Name: Nero Nehil
Pirate Title/Nickname/Aliases: Red-Eye
Home Island/Part of the World: East Blue
Role/Secondary Role: Gunner
Education: Standard schooling, alongside archery and unarmed combat.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION:
Height: 6"2
Weight: 170 pounds
Hair color: Dark brown
Eye color: green
Ethnicity:Caucasian
General Appearance: He is almost always dressed in the traditional garb of his home country, though he only brings his hair up in a top knot during a dangerous situation to prepare for battle. During relaxed times, it is unbound and lets it cover his face. The red mark around his eyes is made not from blood as some people say. However, it's made from the essence of crushed Kirzek roots, of a plant indigenous to his island.

OTHER INFORMATION:
Sexual Orientation: Heteroflexible
Ons/Offs: Same as player
Wealth Level: While a descendant of a long line of members of the Warrior caste, tasked with defending the island, he is not of special birth.
Personality: Nero is a kind soul that has been tasked early on with the knowledge of having to fight to protect his family and all the inhabitants of the island. It has made him a rather serious person whom has devoted everything to his training and duty. While not seriously training, he doesn't mind sharing a laugh with the others ... if he can spare the time to not hone his skills. He is very patriotic and will jump at the first person to offend his home.

Fighting: 07 - Agility: 08 - Strength: 05 - Endurance: 05 - Reason: 05 - Intuition: 04 - Psyche: 06

Twin Shot - Nero manages to fire off two arrows at the same time, at one or two different targets, with pin point accuracy.
Flame On - Using special powders from his home island, he sets fire to certain objects like arrow heads, the wrappings or gloves on his fists, ...
Dead Shot - Nero makes a shot with deadly accuracy at certain body parts, like limbs to disable them. At his current training, he can hit a finger at 10 feet, a hand at 20, an arm at 30, a chest at 50 and a barrel the size of an adult at 100 yards.

Honest - Due to the upbringing in the military caste, he is honest to a fault.
Determined - It is his task to give it his all, his life if needed for his friends and the goal. He is determined to always give it his best.
Brave - Nothing will discourage him. Not fighting the strongest man alive, fighting an entire army by himself, ... He'll always be ready.

DISADVANTAGES:
Stranger to the world - While there is some news that arrives via the paper, most of of his home town is rather estranged from the world and knows very little to nothing of modern technology.
Proud - While being confident is a good thing, Nero shows way too much pride in his skills and hometown.
Prude - There are very strict laws when it comes to clothing, dating and relationships in his hometown. SO much that even the slightest bit of bare skin on a woman is enough to push the boundaries of what he has known are common rules for attitude and attire growing up. He will very easily point this out in others.

SKILLS:
Archery: - The ability to use ranged weapons proficiently
Herbalism: - The ability to recognise, know and use plants and herbs to their fullest potential.
Survivalism: - Basically anything to do with how to make a fire, to prepare food, basic shelter, ...

HISTORY: Nero was born in an island in East Blue that is still stuck in a feudal society, born in the warrior caste. Taught from a young age to wield a bow and how to fight to protect his fellow islanders from external and internal threats. At the cusp of adulthood, the young men and women are sent out into the world to venture forth and prove themselves by overcoming massive obstacles, taking down infamous villains or strong heroes, ... Anything to prove their warrior spirit. He had just been sent away on his task, only to come back with enough adventures on his notch to prove himself.

Dream: Not only to prove himself during his challenge, but also to come back with results so grand that he'll be protected to the highest ranks of the warrior caste and become a personal bodyguard of their king.
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

kingmaster1

Nero will have a hell of a time if Rairaku is on the crew XD

She walks around topless whenever she's on the ship :P

Batman4560

Quote from: Nygenn on December 08, 2017, 04:46:06 PM
I'm fleshing out a character sheet for Captain, or alternatively I can see him work as Navigator as well. Will have to see what fits for the same of the group.

Also, is this a first come first serve type of game or are you going to be looking at the best candidates that apply? If you are indeed looking for people with a passion then perhaps some fort of screening method might be advisable?

Koekje, give me a range on your attacks in feet and it looks good.

Nygenn, I am looking at each sheet to see what feels right for each role but so far the characters look good. So if two people apply for the same position and I feel like one would make a better (Insert role here) I'll let them know and suggest the other character take a different role. This is why I ask each character have two roles on their sheets.

Koekje

Don't you just love throwing a wrench in the gears of your character? Hence, the fun of getting to yell at her for being obscene and indecent :p
O'O's

kingmaster1

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 08, 2017, 08:21:55 PM
Koekje, give me a range on your attacks in feet and it looks good.

Nygenn, I am looking at each sheet to see what feels right for each role but so far the characters look good. So if two people apply for the same position and I feel like one would make a better (Insert role here) I'll let them know and suggest the other character take a different role. This is why I ask each character have two roles on their sheets.

Does Brewer count? Should I change that to, like, cook or first mate or something?

Batman4560

I mean, brewer might make a better skill than role. Role should be something the crew needs. Hence the list I put up at the first page.

Koekje

Added a range, but I'm not 100% sure if I should use yards or feet to see which sounds more plausible ...
O'O's

kingmaster1

Quote from: Koekje on December 08, 2017, 08:22:57 PM
Don't you just love throwing a wrench in the gears of your character? Hence, the fun of getting to yell at her for being obscene and indecent :p

I would definitely enjoy it XD

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 08, 2017, 08:26:08 PM
I mean, brewer might make a better skill than role. Role should be something the crew needs. Hence the list I put up at the first page.

Makes sense, gonna put something to replace it!

Batman4560

Quote from: Koekje on December 08, 2017, 08:26:54 PM
Added a range, but I'm not 100% sure if I should use yards or feet to see which sounds more plausible ...

Feet please.