Translators Wanted! [Initial post is about translating romaji]

Started by Mingnon, April 17, 2018, 03:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mingnon

I am making this thread in the hopes that someone knowledgeable in Japanese would be able to translate lyrics to a (one) song.

I preemptively give permission for people in the future to use this thread to ask for help with translating whatever text, audio etc. they come across.

But for the moment I just want to know the lyrics to 'Beyond the Eternity' by MintJam and Rita. I would have just used Babelfish but for some reason machine translators don't want to parse romaji. Here are the lyrics:

Koukyuu no daichi ni kizamaretsuzuketekita
Kiero kurifu no saishuushou horobi no uta ga nagareru

Tsumiageta rekishi ga mu ni kaerou toshiteru
Mou dare ni nani wo takusou tomo saki ni ha nani mo nokoranai

Subete no saigo wo mitoru sedai ni umareta
Nokosareta kibou ha wazuka
Naite naite nakitsukushita nara

Sekai no tsuduku kagiri oimotome tsudukeyou
Ima bokura ga koko ni aruwake wo
Uketsugaretekita amata no tomoshibi wo
Koko de tayasu koto wa dekinai

Enrai no hibiki ga sukoshizutsu chikaduite
Furui tatasou to suru kakugo
Yurugaseru youna houkou he to

Inishie no minamo ni ochita hamon ga kyou made
Hagugumi tsuzuketa kita chisei tsuchikai tsudukete kita risei

Eichi wo hitotsu ni tabane mirai wo hirake yo
Chippoke na egoism nado
Yaite yaite yakitsukuse ima ha

Jikan no yurusu kagiri aragai tsudukeyou
Saigo no hi ga noboru kuru mae ni
Zetsubou no naka ni akari ga tomoru made
Hibiwareta yuuki wo shinjite

Unmei no haguruma ga tomaru
Ikubaku mo nai jikan sutenai wasurenai

Saigo no toki made ude wo komaneki ha shinai
Konton no yoru wo watari yuku tabibito
Sekai no tsuduku kagiri oimotome tsudukeyou
Ima bokura ga koko ni aruwake wo
Uketsugaretekita amata no tomoshibi wo
Nemureru sedai e tsutaeru made aragai tsudukeyou
Ooinaru shukumei no mae de wa
Tatoe chiisana monogatari datoshitemo
Kono te de kakinokosu yo towa ni

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=076TDNEBluc
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Exaelitus

I'm sorry you never received a translation for this, but it is a very difficult song to translate.
Not only is it ridiculously poetic with a lot of metaphor, but the entire song has a dual meaning.
There is no possible way to make an exact literal translation of this song, because of that meaning.

Instead, a translation would require going through and re-writing it in English with different words to express the same feeling of what's being said...and it would take someone with a large vocabulary because I'm not skilled enough...with any language to clarify.

If it is any consolation, to summarize for you, it is a song commenting about the generation of people today. Everyone is reckless, and a little selfish, but ultimately they're just trying to get by like they're going to live forever (ie: YOLO).
It talks about this life, and the meaning for it, "what is the purpose of this life".

The song is both optimistic and pessimistic at the same time, in fact, when I first read it, I thought it was basically conveying a feeling of hopelessness about the world--that everything is just going to burn, anyway. It was frustrating to read because there's no punctuation (which is probably why it can't be translated from Romaji). When I listened to the song, I got the opposite message, that it was saying sure it may look bad but we're going to hang in there and keep being hopeful. In some places, the words used apply to both positive and negative meanings.

To try and pull a few examples for you:

Line 5:
"subete no saigo wo mitoru sedai ni umareta"
すべての最期を看取る 世代に生まれた
I can choose to translate it as
"We're [My Generation] supposed to take care of each other until the end."
or I can translate it as
"My generation only cares at the end."

Line 6 and 7:
"Nokosareta kibou ha wazuka
Naite naite nakitsukushita nara"
残された希望は僅か
泣いて泣いて泣き尽くしたなら

This is harder to translate in to exact English, but I...guess.. I could choose to translate it as:
"If you kept crying out, there might be hope."
Conversely, I could translate it as
"It's hopeless if you cry and cry and keep crying."

The two opposing views in this song are people who can't help but act, and protect things around them, while the other view says basically to just ignore it and party because we don't really have anything, anyway. The trick to getting these two opposite meanings to exist from the same words is lack of punctuation, and the kanji.

It's been a while since you saw this, I know, and it would take time to translate, but if you're still that interested--and a bunch of one-uppers don't hit this thread, I'd be happy to take this and write it twice in my own words so you can kind of get the idea in English. It would not be a direct translation but my interpretation of it.

For a little added bonus, I did feel like there was a reference to Jack Kerouac in there, too.
Overall, it's a really well written song.