What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

I'll just stick to MW2, thanks. o3o..

And Halo: Reach this September.

Sabby

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on July 20, 2010, 11:49:53 AMIn related news I finally got around to playing my copy of Infamous today (bought it like two months ago but my PS3 is a neglected beast mostly) only to discover that it's in French

Hey, I've watched the Mortal Kombat movie in French. Besides, your not missing much... the story is trash. Ending was so bad I considered destroying the disc.

Leo

Quote from: Wolfy on July 20, 2010, 03:23:34 PM
I'll just stick to MW2, thanks. o3o..

And Halo: Reach this September.

Ah but MW2 is outperformed by BC2 by a clear mile...

When BC2 was nearing its release date, everyone told me to get it and stop playing MW2. I was kind of getting tired of having nothing but MW2 to play after my long days at uni, so I decided to check it out. It suddenly turned out to be THE modern warfare FPS (the irony!) I've been looking for!

So I bought it as soon as it was released, started playing online and have been enjoying it enough not to play MW2 beyond 30 minutes of multiplayer once or twice a week. While it is a game quite open to player abuse in multiplayer, you don't lose anything for quitting your unlucky choice of server and going for another one.

Team work is very important in BC2 multiplayer. Your medic has to be aware that every time he saves a team member, his team regains 1 reinforcement point (you lose when that reaches 0), your snipers have to know that their recon information is vital to the team's success or that their mortar strikes can save the match, engineers have to understand their rocket launchers will save the day when enemy tanks and helicopters are on their way to rape their team or their field repair kit can help hold a flag/station long enough for respawning team mates to run to the rescue.

What I love the most about BC2 is that it takes an almost full team of fail players for someone to be a rambo one man army killing the enemy team (something you can do in MW2 VERY easily). A single good team in a match is domination, two good teams in a match is a challenging game session that makes it fun to even lose. Or at least that's how I feel about it, but team work IS fundamental. I will not even mention the laws of physics totally applying in this game when you are shooting for something far away...  ;)

But of course, that's a PC player speaking and it's really a bummer that console version is such a disappointment... You would have loved the game, I think. Oh and thumbs up for Halo :)
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

roket pencil

most definately will never play ever again elektroplankton

stupid game is stupid

oh and never eerplay darn splosionman (purely too adictive)

Steam ID : Roket_pencil

ausyandy

I regret buying Just Cause 2. That game is shockingly repetitive and boring.

Hemingway

Quote from: Leo on July 20, 2010, 07:39:00 PM
What I love the most about BC2 is that it takes an almost full team of fail players for someone to be a rambo one man army killing the enemy team (something you can do in MW2 VERY easily).

The reason for that being the people behind the game have absolutely no understanding of weapons, at all. They improved it in patches, but weapons still take about a dozen bullets to kill people. I've played it for over a hundred hours, and I can't wait for the Vietnam version, but damn have they got it wrong.

Garand sort of makes up for it. At least it's possible to actually kill people with it, when you don't suck. M14 - being my favorite weapon of any - was a huge disappointment, however. Iron sights is apparently something else they don't understand. And the concept of a marksman rifle.

Having said that, it's not a game I'm never going to play again.

That said, there is one game I probably won't touch again.

Birth of America.

I picked it up when it was on sale on Steam, for, I think, 0,99 Euro. I expected a difficult strategy game, but one I'd at least manage to play, even if not win. I gave up. When the tutorial doesn't even begin to scratch the surface ... yeah.

Wyrd

Final Fantasy 13

Yet another piece of Japanese shit 
Ragtime Dandies!

Wolfy

Quote from: Wyrd on July 24, 2010, 02:23:27 PM
Final Fantasy 13

ooh..sounds like this extends deeper than the game itself...

Nyarly

Quote from: Wolfy on July 24, 2010, 03:00:39 PM
Quote from: Wyrd on July 24, 2010, 02:23:27 PM
Final Fantasy 13

Makes me wonder, why he even played it.

Or if he played it...

Wyrd

Quote from: Nyarly on July 24, 2010, 03:08:39 PM

Makes me wonder, why he even played it.

Or if he played it...

I make it a priority to play every big game that comes on the market. And I'v noticed a pattern, that most Japanese games suck ass in some way shape of form. and FF 13 was no exception. in fact, it was one of the worst games I'v played in the last year and a half. the only good thing the game had going for was the graphics. But over all this game was shit.
Ragtime Dandies!

Nyarly

Quote from: Wyrd on July 25, 2010, 11:26:18 AM
I make it a priority to play every big game that comes on the market. And I'v noticed a pattern, that most Japanese games suck ass in some way shape of form. and FF 13 was no exception. in fact, it was one of the worst games I'v played in the last year and a half. the only good thing the game had going for was the graphics. But over all this game was shit.
That's stupid, playing a game just because it is big. If you already know beforehand that you won't like it, don't play it. Why don't you just stop playing Japanese games? You spare yourself a lot of needless anger.

I would never waste my money on a game, when I'm sure that I won't like it.

Wyrd

Quote from: Nyarly on July 25, 2010, 11:46:33 AM
That's stupid, playing a game just because it is big. If you already know beforehand that you won't like it, don't play it. Why don't you just stop playing Japanese games? You spare yourself a lot of needless anger.

I would never waste my money on a game, when I'm sure that I won't like it.

Hahah! I would never pay for this game.:P I borrowed of a friend ofcorse 
Ragtime Dandies!

Nyarly

Quote from: Wyrd on July 25, 2010, 11:55:57 AM
Hahah! I would never pay for this game.:P I borrowed of a friend ofcorse
Still, you wasted your time playing a game, you knew you will hate. Why? Is this some stupid kind of gamer pride?

Sel Nar

I have a short list.

Any Tekken/Streetfighter/Mortal Kombat/Wrestling/UFC game in existence.

Any Call of Duty numbered 3, 4, or 6. (Aka; 3, Modern Warfare, and Modern Warafre 2)

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4.

Starcraft.

Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, All the Variants based off of the GTA3 engine, and 4.

Red Dead Redemption, too.

World of Warcraft, and any expansions.

The pre-reboot Tomb Raider series.

Any Superhero game that is NOT Arkham Asylum.

EVE Online.

Spore.

Fable.

Guess that's it for now.

Paradox

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 25, 2010, 12:14:50 PM
I have a short list.

Any Tekken/Streetfighter/Mortal Kombat/Wrestling/UFC game in existence.

Any Call of Duty numbered 3, 4, or 6. (Aka; 3, Modern Warfare, and Modern Warafre 2)

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4.

Starcraft.

Grand Theft Auto 1, 2, 3, All the Variants based off of the GTA3 engine, and 4.

Red Dead Redemption, too.

World of Warcraft, and any expansions.

The pre-reboot Tomb Raider series.

Any Superhero game that is NOT Arkham Asylum.

EVE Online.

Spore.

Fable.

Guess that's it for now.

Any particular reason as to why you won't play these games anymore?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Wyrd

Quote from: Nyarly on July 25, 2010, 12:11:25 PM
Still, you wasted your time playing a game, you knew you will hate. Why? Is this some stupid kind of gamer pride?

Sure! why not
Ragtime Dandies!

Sel Nar

Quote from: Paradox on July 25, 2010, 12:16:26 PM
Any particular reason as to why you won't play these games anymore?

Yep.

Tekken Et al. AI's broken, combat favours first-strikes to the point where a 'fast' hit can take off up to 40% of your health, and the characters are completely unlikeable.
Streetfighter; Same thing only it's 2.5D so if you get backed into a corner, the only thing you can do is suck it up and lose the round.
Mortal Kombat. See this link http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MKWalker , combined with over-the-top (read; Stupid) amounts of violence that's only funny before puberty.
Wrestling and UFC. Personal Taste. If I wanted to see two or more guys laying on a mat punching each other in the Crotch, It'd be in real life, and I don't swing that way.

Call of Duty;
3 = the 'knocked on your ass' counter and stupid as hell Minigames to knock someone on their ass after they knocked you on your ass. (First Mission; you get knocked on your ass at Least 3 times and get dragged to safety by the AI. Great way to set up a case of 'goddamnit, why am I the first guy through the doors again?'
4= Good singleplayer (if only for the boat mission at the start), Shit multiplayer because everyone bounces around like freaking speedballs with knives.
5= Shit Singleplayer, Shittier Multihacker. Nukes DO NOT MAKE SHOCKWAVES IN HARD VAC! Multiplayer's design decisions have allowed Aimbotting, Unlimited ammo/No reloads and wallhacking to be more commonplace than Counterstrike. Pass.

MGS;
2 = Sorry, but if a game is going to Butcher a full third of its story because of 9/11 It's not worth getting for the 'Supposedly' Concrete story that adds to the storyline of the rest of the Tetrology. Mechanics-wise it's okay, except for all the gay jokes, and Raiden.
4= Snake got old. That I can deal with. Cutscene incompetence to the point of 'Idiot hero', Not so much. Notable for the Chapter 3 scene where Ocelot's FOUR goons Kill at least 100 marines using the excuse of 'Nanomachines allowed it' Nearly tossed the controller into the wall for that instance of 'What the fuck, Kojima?'

Starcraft.
Got boring after the sixth time through.

GTA;

Personal taste. Played 'em, beat 'em, never really 'clicked' for me. That and Niko's nose takes up 2/3rds of his facial mass.

Red Dead.

See GTA, only it's grand theft Equestrian.

World of Warcraft.

If I have to pay 180$ US a Year to play a game, It better not be populated by hackers, farmers, bots, keyloggers, and GMs that believe the afore-mentioned over you if you do get nailed. 11 Million people Can Be Wrong.

TR; Pre-boot.

Was okay for the first 3, then lost its footing due to A: Using the same 1996 engine until Angel of Darkness, and B: too much concentration on shooting, too little on exploring.

Any Superhero game that's Not Arkham Asylum.

Superman 64 ring a bell? No? How about the Fantastic 4 for PS? Sturgeon's Law is firmly applied, and Arkham Asylum is the first Truly GOOD Superhero game since forever.

EVE Online.

Take my gripe about WoW, and toss it onto one server of griefers for added fun. I play games for fun, not to be stabbed in the back and lose out on the RL equivalent of several thousand dollars due to the investment in my ship(s)

Spore;

Good concept, shoddy execution. Patches should Not cost 29.99$ and be called an Expansion.

Fable;

Again with the concept, but the game itself was solidly 'meh' Molyneux can hype 'em until sunlight shines out of his ass, that doesn't mean I'll use him for a desk lamp.

Paradox

Thanks! I just hate to see a list with no explanation.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 25, 2010, 12:11:25 PM
Well, because he didn't know if he was actually going to hate it. Sure he has his cynicism but there's always hope that this one Japanese game will shine through, and for him 13 did not. :P

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 25, 2010, 12:50:21 PM
Yep.

Streetfighter; Same thing only it's 2.5D so if you get backed into a corner, the only thing you can do is suck it up and lose the round.
Wrestling and UFC. Personal Taste. If I wanted to see two or more guys laying on a mat punching each other in the Crotch, It'd be in real life, and I don't swing that way.
To be fair, wrestling games don't really play anything like that. If anything they're more akin to 3D fighters--which could be just fine if they aspired to be like the better fighting games out there, however I guess that fact that most fighting games require a daunting level of skill to even be passable at means that's not a route that will ever be taken.
As for the Streetfighter thing, well 2D fighters are even less forgiving than 3D ones so yeah losing the position battle can be hell until you've gotten a grasp of the mechanics.
Everything else is pretty spot on though (well apart from the Starcraft thing.) especially the thoughts about Modern Warfare 2. I'm surprised that so many people seem to have been tricked by that shoddily put together game.

In other news I think I'm giving up on Viva Pinata. I like the game and everything but it just eats into time that I could be using to advance through my backlog of games that have an actual, you know, narrative for me to complete. Specifically the hundred or so games that I bought during the Steam summer sale and haven't touched yet due to that fact that "my garden needs me!".

Leo

Yep.

Tekken Et al. AI's broken, combat favours first-strikes to the point where a 'fast' hit can take off up to 40% of your health, and the characters are completely unlikeable.
Mortal Kombat. See this link http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MKWalker , combined with over-the-top (read; Stupid) amounts of violence that's only funny before puberty.

Call of Duty;
3 = the 'knocked on your ass' counter and stupid as hell Minigames to knock someone on their ass after they knocked you on your ass. (First Mission; you get knocked on your ass at Least 3 times and get dragged to safety by the AI. Great way to set up a case of 'goddamnit, why am I the first guy through the doors again?'
4= Good singleplayer (if only for the boat mission at the start), Shit multiplayer because everyone bounces around like freaking speedballs with knives.
5= Shit Singleplayer, Shittier Multihacker. Nukes DO NOT MAKE SHOCKWAVES IN HARD VAC! Multiplayer's design decisions have allowed Aimbotting, Unlimited ammo/No reloads and wallhacking to be more commonplace than Counterstrike. Pass.

MGS;
2 = Sorry, but if a game is going to Butcher a full third of its story because of 9/11 It's not worth getting for the 'Supposedly' Concrete story that adds to the storyline of the rest of the Tetrology. Mechanics-wise it's okay, except for all the gay jokes, and Raiden.
4= Snake got old. That I can deal with. Cutscene incompetence to the point of 'Idiot hero', Not so much. Notable for the Chapter 3 scene where Ocelot's FOUR goons Kill at least 100 marines using the excuse of 'Nanomachines allowed it' Nearly tossed the controller into the wall for that instance of 'What the fuck, Kojima?'

Starcraft.
Got boring after the sixth time through.

GTA;

Personal taste. Played 'em, beat 'em, never really 'clicked' for me. That and Niko's nose takes up 2/3rds of his facial mass.

Red Dead.

World of Warcraft.

If I have to pay 180$ US a Year to play a game, It better not be populated by hackers, farmers, bots, keyloggers, and GMs that believe the afore-mentioned over you if you do get nailed. 11 Million people Can Be Wrong.

TR; Pre-boot.

Was okay for the first 3, then lost its footing due to A: Using the same 1996 engine until Angel of Darkness, and B: too much concentration on shooting, too little on exploring.

Any Superhero game that's Not Arkham Asylum.

Superman 64 ring a bell? No? How about the Fantastic 4 for PS? Sturgeon's Law is firmly applied, and Arkham Asylum is the first Truly GOOD Superhero game since forever.

EVE Online.

Take my gripe about WoW, and toss it onto one server of griefers for added fun. I play games for fun, not to be stabbed in the back and lose out on the RL equivalent of several thousand dollars due to the investment in my ship(s)

Spore;

Good concept, shoddy execution. Patches should Not cost 29.99$ and be called an Expansion.

Fable;

Again with the concept, but the game itself was solidly 'meh' Molyneux can hype 'em until sunlight shines out of his ass, that doesn't mean I'll use him for a desk lamp.

If I was a critic, I'd say you look at games from the wrong standpoint. I mean like not liking Titanic because the ship sinks at the end (not saying I like the movie... but, you know what I mean).

But that's just me. :P

Oniya

Red Dead.

That description made everyone here laugh.  (Neither one is my 'type' of game, so there was never any chance of me picking it up in the first place.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sel Nar

Quote from: Leo on July 28, 2010, 10:13:35 AM
If I was a critic, I'd say you look at games from the wrong standpoint. I mean like not liking Titanic because the ship sinks at the end (not saying I like the movie... but, you know what I mean).

But that's just me. :P

Been playing games since I was 4 and got my hands on Duck hunt for the NES. I've long-established what I like vs. what i don't like.

Leo

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 28, 2010, 12:08:15 PM
Been playing games since I was 4 and got my hands on Duck hunt for the NES. I've long-established what I like vs. what i don't like.

Did you hate Duck Hunt too? :)

Sel Nar

Nope. I loved it, and even replayed it last week for fun.

Most rage i have against games I won't play again is because something was 'missing' from the game; be it a sense of fun, a character (or characters) that were engaging and added to the storyline, or even a coherent storyline (even if it's as simple as 'you are on a base on Phobos, and all your troops are dead. Go out there and Kick some ass, marine!')

Look at My Comment about MGS2; Mechanically, it's a good game. But the storyline was gutted, and the final battle's cutscenes were so disjointed and WTF-inducing that it killed all possible enjoyment of the game in regards to a replay. The fact that the final cutscene was butchered to Hide the fact that an arsenal gear rammed Manhattan island and knocked over a few dozen buildings, shortly after 9/11 occured was just icing on the cake of disappointment.

Grand Theft Auto, also mechanically, was a good game, barring some wonky car physics. But, at the end of the day, It just felt like a slog. Like you're up to your knees in a swamp of 'do this', and if you pause for a moment, you sink deeper. I play games to relax, not to push the Sisyphean boulder up the hill.