News:

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo

Started by Piper, October 02, 2016, 04:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piper

Is anyone planning on doing NaNoWriMo next month? I did it last year, but I think it might have broken me. Since then, being "forced" to write at least x amount of words a day for a whole month...I don't know. It sorta made me step away from writing for a while.

So, just curious if anyone here is going to attempt it this year. I still haven't made up my mind if I will or not.

If you're not sure what it is, here it the link: http://nanowrimo.org/

Beguile's Mistress

The idea is to try for a 50,000 word novel in the 30 days of November.  With everything else we have going on in life that can be difficult if not impossible.  Figure out how much you can comfortably write in one day and give it a try.  Doing that minimum each day can also give you a sense of accomplishment and if you have time for more then add to you own daily quota to up the ante. 

A minimum of 1667 words a day gets you to 50,000 but with a full time job that takes ten hours out of my day and health concerns that leave me drained along with the volunteering I'm committed to I don't always have the energy. 

I may give it a try, though.  Don't know for sure yet.

Blythe

I have been tempted to formally do NaNoWriMo for quite some time (I've practiced a few times, but never formally said 'yep I'm doing this'). Feeling like this is a good year to make a go of it. ^^

AmberStarfire

There are a number of us giving it a go this year. There's another thread here where we've been talking about it:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=255789.0

What I've found is playing by your own rules can still be useful/worth it. If for instance you write 600 words a day, in a month you end up with 18000 words, which isn't a novel but it's a novella, and it's a more comfortable pace to write at. Sometimes it takes finding what works best for you.

Piper

Oh! Thanks for the link. I briefly scanned the board for a NaNo topic but didn't see one.

zzy123

I'm tempted. I partook two years in a row some years ago and never quite made it. Did 30k one year though, which I was proud of! So often I start something and never finish it... I've got about five novels planned, have all the ideas in my head and then I never seem to be able to get it down. Which is strange, considering the thousands upon thousands of words I've written in RP...