Observing Trifles

Beautiful Stranger

Pair:
Dr. Xander Thorne and Ambrose Snowe.

Setting:
The not-so-distant future.

Themes:
Romance. Corruption. Amnesia.

Dr. Xander Thorne is a broken man. Only a few short years ago, he had everything; a beautiful young lover, a meaningful career, and a distinguished place in society. But time has been cruel. Years ago, he was a scientist for NuvoCorp, a company on the cutting edge of science. He took immense satisfaction in his work, and indeed, with Xander as one of their top minds, NuvoCorp flourished.

Jonah Pierce is the CEO of Pierce Technologies, a rival of NuvoCorp. An old college friend of Xander's, Jonah repeatedly attempted to bring him into his company, but in vain. Unbeknownst to the public, Pierce Technologies has a darker side. Scientists for Pierce conduct a vast amount of work in genetic modification and engineering - a specialty that, were it brought to light, would shine badly on the company. At least partially aware of Pierce's secret experiments, Xander refused to join, much to Jonah's chagrin.

Ambrose Snowe was Xander's research assistant. A bright young thing with a knack for botany, he first joined Pierce Technologies as an entry-level lab tech, but quickly moved up the ladder when Jonah took more than a passing interest in him. Won over by Xander, with whom he fell deeply in love, Ambrose left Pierce Technologies to join Xander's team at NuvoCorp, breaking a vengeful Jonah's heart.

Only two years into their relationship, a laboratory accident killed Ambrose, an accident for which Xander assumed sole responsibility - unaware that Jonah was the one to blame. Bereaved and desperate, he turned to Jonah, who agreed to clean up the mess, but for a price. Now Xander works at Pierce Technologies, engaging in morally questionable work  that he despises and fears.

Little does Xander know that Ambrose is alive and well - mostly. One of Pierce Technologies' more closely guarded endeavors is the reanimation of dead tissue by means of a virus. The virus gives life back to a corpse, but leaves the subject with vampire-like qualities, such as the need for fresh blood and a severe allergy to sunlight. Now one of the undead, Ambrose exists under a new identity, one engineered by Jonah, unable to reach out to Xander for help...

And here our story begins. I haven't completely fleshed out the plot yet, but I've come up with a few possibilities.

Perhaps Ambrose has no memory of the person he used to be. The reanimation has brought him back to life, but he has no recollection of who he was and exists solely as Jonah's slave. The story would then begin with Xander discovering him alive, trying everything and anything to bring his memory back.

Or, perhaps it's the other way around. The trauma left Xander emotionally and psychologically scarred, so much so that he won't recognize Ambrose on sight when at last he manages to slip from Jonah's watchful eye. This could also be due to the physical changes that took place when the virus entered Ambrose's system. The story would then follow them starting their romance all over again, this time in secret, with Xander's memory returning to him bit by painful bit.

It's worth noting that I'm fairly attached to Ambrose and would prefer to play him. But for the right writer, I could play Xander instead.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.