Shared IP address

Started by RogueLady, September 15, 2008, 02:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueLady

I have a roomate (also my cousin) who enjoys roleplaying as much as I do. I told her about this site and how impressed I was with it and she was terribly interested in joining as well. Now, here's the problem ... as I mentioned in the subject line we share an IP address. We each have our own computer, but we share the internet through a wireless setup. Is there any way to go about proving that we are, in fact, two separate people and she's not simply a fractured part of my psyche who has split off into a separate personality? :)

Any help would be appreciated muchly.

Cheers!

Vekseid

It usually means we wait longer to make sure personalities are in fact different. We don't specifically prohibit multiple accounts on the same IP.

RogueLady

Thanks for clearing that up. I just wasn't sure, exactly, about the deal with sharing IP's.

Akhanu

Well, public ip configuration is not something you as a user can usually manipulate. It depends on the isp and it can be dynamic and changing or it can be fixed and always the same, all depends how exactly they have designed their network.
Sharing ip is what you always do RogueLady because you and your friend appear to the internet at large under the same ip address. It's done via the network address translation feature which has become a norm.
Experience Chan! There's neither distance nor intimacy. Observation is like a family treasure. Whether with eyes, ears, body, nose, or tongue - It's hard to say which is the most amazing to use.
-  Master Xu Yun

Ons and Offs

Xillen

Correct, Akhanu.

The Elliquiy staff disapproves of one person having two or more accounts. Therefor, if a new account is made from the same IP as an already existing account, Vekseid will be a bit wary, and the approval period will be lengthened to be sure that it is indeed another person, and not the same person pretending to be another person.

I think that's what RogueJedi was informing about.