Aberrant (this is not a comic book game)

Started by Tamhansen, October 15, 2012, 02:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AribethAmkiir

More than willing to step in and help.  It being freeform (or not requiring rolls) makes it easier to run scenes.  May just need help creating characters until I get used to that.

stargirl

stargirl

Hi,
   Should I make my character as a Baseline now and then we will play thought Eruption? Or should I make it all done and start when she is already a nova?

Kolbrandr

Ah, is this basically completely freeform barring character creation?

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: stargirl on October 16, 2012, 10:18:13 PM
Hi,
   Should I make my character as a Baseline now and then we will play thought Eruption? Or should I make it all done and start when she is already a nova?

Hey Star,

My understanding is that we'll each be going through a 1v1 prelude where the characters each experience their very own eruption.  I can't really comment on how to make the character since that hasn't been posted yet, but it was mentioned that we'd each begin as baselines and gain our powers during the individual preludes.

stargirl

I will tell here what is my character concept. The sheet will come later, as I need more time to have it right, and I have to wait for the direction, right?

My character is. Nurse College student. She joined the College because she wants to help people. She doesn't like novas. They can't be trusted and she believes all of the are evil some way. She is a very religious person and believes the Novas are almost like Devils. She is a good girl for all things, but prejudiced against novas.

(The idea is of she erupting into an angel, with beautiful white feathers wings)

Tamhansen

Quote from: stargirl on October 17, 2012, 02:43:44 PM
I will tell here what is my character concept. The sheet will come later, as I need more time to have it right, and I have to wait for the direction, right?

My character is. Nurse College student. She joined the College because she wants to help people. She doesn't like novas. They can't be trusted and she believes all of the are evil some way. She is a very religious person and believes the Novas are almost like Devils. She is a good girl for all things, but prejudiced against novas.

(The idea is of she erupting into an angel, with beautiful white feathers wings)

I like the concept very much

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on October 17, 2012, 01:23:11 AM
Hey Star,

My understanding is that we'll each be going through a 1v1 prelude where the characters each experience their very own eruption.  I can't really comment on how to make the character since that hasn't been posted yet, but it was mentioned that we'd each begin as baselines and gain our powers during the individual preludes.

Very correct. of course the player get's to decide what concept they want and what kind of powers they prefer, but I want to be involved in the eruption process. that being the point your powers manifest for those unfamiliar. Because I want to guide your development.

If I may use Stargirl's example for a minute. She feels her character should erupt sort of as an angel. Now I have two ideas on her power concept I'd discuss with her. one based on Michael, the great defender, giving her the power of angelic flight, but also could develop the flaming sword, and the power to shield those in need.

The other concept being Gabriel, which would give her more soothing and healing powers. So as you can see there are many ways to spin a concept, and each of those make for a brilliant short thread on your eruptions.
Sorry for the delays, I promise that everything will be done by monday, but the EP&H deadline is coming up and I'm also involved in some other nice E! projects
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

stargirl

I was thinking more like Gabriel, the heavens messenger. She would have things like Mega-Charisma, maybe healing too. I just don't know how much is to a start character.

Tamhansen

Okay, the full character creation system is to be found at http://pictureplace.hostei.com/abberant.xps

It's a bit of a read but it contains all the rules on building a character, including powers, stats and all other stuff you need. If you have any questions feel free, but until Monday I promise no prompt response, I will try to be as prompt as possible though.
ons and offs

Salvation

I am new here, but this very much has my interest.  If there is still room, I would like to see about applying. I have some idea as to a couple of character ideas, which would include something with powers around fire, or perhaps some type of warrior ..well, I always did like the Valkyrie types.. fighting skills, strength, etc.  Or well, I can always tailor something that suits the system. I love the idea of starting out as normal person and the eruption process.

I will look over the links you provided in the prior post too. I have some familiarity with WW and recall the aberrants, though I didn't do any RP involving that.

Tamhansen

Salvation, you are more than welcome to apply as I've currently not said a definite yes to anyone, and tbh if I can manage it I'd like to have everyone get in. This would mean that my attention is spread thin though, so I hope people will be fairly self reliant in keeping each other entertained, and anyone willing to help with the GMíng in any way, no matter how small (playing a NPC baddie, or even a shopkeeper or waitress now and again. or helping new plot develop will be more than welcome to do just that. I'm a fairly open GM and easily approve things if they are creative, and not too gamedisturbing.

Anouncement:
I'll start the game threads Monday. Anyone interested and with either a full character or a pretty good idea of what they want can contact me. Anyone interested but still having more questions can PM me as well. I'm guessing it'll take a while for the story to fully start up anyway as I'll do eruptions first. /b]
ons and offs

stargirl

I'm not sure about playing bad girl, but if you need baseline NPC, I can sure help.

This game will be so much fun.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Katataban on October 18, 2012, 02:05:34 PM
Salvation, you are more than welcome to apply as I've currently not said a definite yes to anyone, and tbh if I can manage it I'd like to have everyone get in. This would mean that my attention is spread thin though, so I hope people will be fairly self reliant in keeping each other entertained, and anyone willing to help with the GMíng in any way, no matter how small (playing a NPC baddie, or even a shopkeeper or waitress now and again. or helping new plot develop will be more than welcome to do just that. I'm a fairly open GM and easily approve things if they are creative, and not too gamedisturbing.

Anouncement:
I'll start the game threads Monday. Anyone interested and with either a full character or a pretty good idea of what they want can contact me. Anyone interested but still having more questions can PM me as well. I'm guessing it'll take a while for the story to fully start up anyway as I'll do eruptions first. /b]

It might have been missed in the flow of posts, but had wanted to clarify, post character creation, it's basically completely freeform?

AribethAmkiir

Yes, Kol.  It's basically freeform after the character creation, as far as I understand.

avorae

Quote from: Katataban on October 18, 2012, 10:58:38 AM
Okay, the full character creation system is to be found at http://pictureplace.hostei.com/abberant.pdf

It's a bit of a read but it contains all the rules on building a character, including powers, stats and all other stuff you need. If you have any questions feel free, but until Monday I promise no prompt response, I will try to be as prompt as possible though.

The file appears to be damaged as i can't dowload it
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

yaracyrrah

Quote from: avorae on October 18, 2012, 09:07:20 PM
The file appears to be damaged as i can't download it

I get the same error.  When I tried to load the link directly in Firefox, it started but hung.  When I tried to download the pdf, it finished downloading but the resulting file was damaged and could not be opened.

On the other hand, I was able to locate my own copy of the rules.  Like our intrepid chief, I would be happy to help anyone who doesn't have them or doesn't want to deal with them.  Unlike our intrepid chief, I'm likely to be online for most of the weekend :) .  If you have a detailed concept that you'd like help statting, feel free to PM me.

Salvation

Yeah, I had trouble downloading that file as well, and sounds good.  I'm happy to fit in where I can, and all that.  I'll have to locate the rules as well, and I have some ideas already in my mind, but want to familiarize myself with how the rules work.  I will be in touch via PM over the weekend, and no worries if it isn't answered right away, of course.

I am generally pretty self-sufficient, so that should work for me.  Look forward to it.

AribethAmkiir

Totally could use help with the technical bits.  Hope you don't mind if I PM you as well Yarac. 

Tamhansen

Ok I made the xps version available meaning those with a Microsoft is should be able to use it at least. Looking where the error in the PDF stems now.

I am free for pm's from people who need help, as well as those finished and willing to start their eruption on Monday.

When you buy your powers in the phase 2 remember buying your powers with taint will make them cheaper, but taint does mean aberrations.maximum starting taint is 5. And taint can be gained in game. It's actually the one thing I'll be rolling for.
ons and offs

yaracyrrah

Quote from: Katataban on October 19, 2012, 04:19:03 AM
I am free for pm's from people who need help, as well as those finished and willing to start their eruption on Monday.

Sorry, Chief--I thought you'd said you might not have a lot of time over the weekend.  Didn't mean to step on your toes.

Also: there's a typo in the link to the .xps file.  http://pictureplace.hostei.com/aberrant.xps worked.  (I can't open it because I don't have the right software, but it exists.)

yaracyrrah

Apropos of nothing: I've been rereading the setting information, and the timeline in the rulebook notes that on June 15, 2005, "Pope Benedict XVI" issues a Papal bull regarding Novas.  The book was published in 1999.  In the real world, Pope Benedict XVI was elected (and chose his name) on April 19, 2005.

Spooooky.

AribethAmkiir

so, from what I can gather character creation isn't too different from Exalted.  Is that right?

stargirl

Yes,  Ari.  About the same system for Exalted. Both for creation as for play. This is what they call the Storyteller Role Playing System.

I know both.

Tamhansen

Actually the basics are quite the same. It's all made with the same mechanics system "the Storyteller system"

Like I said if you need any help just PM me and we can work through it together.

Allso there's a few people that have posted who are knowledgable about the system. They might be willing to help you as well, but basicallly I'm hre. Just a little slow atm
ons and offs

avorae

Ok I will get a character together after i get home from work but i'll try to put up my basic concept up before I leave.

As for her focus she is physically and mentally perfect. Sort of a cross between Monet St. Croix (M from Generation X) and Captain America. Though she will not actually develop any overt powers such as flight, energy expulsion or anything like that but enhanced senses and the ability to see auras are possible but for the most part she will just have a butt load of Mega attributes.

Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.