Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strangefate

I feel like the fact Remiel didn’t give us the clue Footprints kinda removes BAMF’s Flip-Flops from consideration now.  I am slightly more interested in persephone as a suspect just because Cleaning Clothe fits Bathroom and Bodily Fluids quite well.  Also you tend to clean up at Night, right?   Hard to connect her murder methods to it though.  Virus is right out as Remiel didn’t pick Illness/Disease.   Others feel more like Severe Injury.   I’m not hating Assassini’s last suggestion, simply for the fact that the Forensic Scientist would have been in a tough position to implicate Oil Stain with any of the clues offered so far and it is a fluid.  And of course Assassini’s Machine and Sunglasses must now also be considered I think.   What’s more likely to leave an Oil Stain than Machine?  Why Bathroom as the location though? There’s Electric Bike I guess but James is tough to connect to most of the clues.  There’s also persephone’s Wrench, would could be oily, but you don’t kill someone with a wrench by accident.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

James Moriarty

Player:Madame Professor
Means of Murder Cards:Packing Tape, Overdose, Mad Dog, Venomous Scorpion
Key Evidence Cards: Computer mouse, Cigarette Ash, Sock, Tissue

I am thinking Venomous Scorpion matches with accident and instantaneous, perhaps.  Tissue for bathroom.  Decay could come from scorpion bite or perhaps ash.  Summer night could easily go with scorpion as well.

Overdose... maybe.  I think I've given up on Electric Current because I can't really see any tie in to summer night or decay at all, covered up or not.

I'm not loving the oil stain theory, and beyond those, things seem really dicey.  What am I overlooking?

James Moriarty

I thought machine and sunglasses, too, but ruled out sunglasses as being a balcony thing, not a bathroom thing.

James Moriarty

"Yugi with the Sulphuric Acid and the Plastic Bottle."

I considered this, too, but... an accidental sulphuric acid death is pretty spectacular to consider.  I would have chosen severe injury most likely.  And most certainly not instantaneous...

James Moriarty

Player: Verasaille
Means of Murder Cards: Pills, Poisonous needle, Dumbell, Plastic Bag
Key Evidence Cards: Earrings, Apple, Rat, Receipt

Ok, so yes, I agree.  Pills works -- could be accidental and instantaneous (though a little odd for instantaneous; though no less odd than overdose or scorpion, perhaps?).  Screams bathroom.  Decay... maybe rat, yes.  Summer night... could indicate rat or pills, in less direct ways.

I guess the combinations I can see working still are

Vera, pills, rat
MP, overdose, tissue
MP, overdose, ash
MP, scorpion, tissue
MP, scorpion, ash

Other proposals?  How many of us are there left?

Verasaille

Don't waste a guess on me, I still think it is Blythe! I know I am stubborn. Lack of evidence now has me stymied.

I don't see pills as being instantaneous. Even a bug bite takes time. The only instant death weapons would be the electric current and the pistol.

Bodily fluid can be what happens when a body has an electric current through it accidentally when the victim slips on the oil stain, (bath oil or suntan oil?) In the bathroom in the summer at night after sunbathing all day. Severe sunburn can look like you are decaying. (peeling sunburnt skin)

So I am guessing Blythe with electric current, and oil stain for evidence.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Verasaille on January 19, 2016, 03:42:41 AM
Don't waste a guess on me, I still think it is Blythe! I know I am stubborn. Lack of evidence now has me stymied.

I don't see pills as being instantaneous. Even a bug bite takes time. The only instant death weapons would be the electric current and the pistol.

Bodily fluid can be what happens when a body has an electric current through it accidentally when the victim slips on the oil stain, (bath oil or suntan oil?) In the bathroom in the summer at night after sunbathing all day. Severe sunburn can look like you are decaying. (peeling sunburnt skin)

Sorry Blythe! Investigators Win!!!
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 19, 2016, 03:42:41 AM

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 19, 2016, 07:19:11 AM
Sorry Blythe! Investigators Win!!!

Oh goddammit!! *laughs wryly*

I'm totally claiming credit for that! That's unfair!

*muttermutter* Usin' ma idea...

Remiel

Oh, thank God.  Verasaille, you are my unlikely hero.

Yeah, the first three clues--Accident, Bathroom, Instantaneous--were supposed to make you all hone in on the Electric current.  Which you did.  So that was all according to plan.

Then I introduced Decayed, and you all completely lost it.    I don't know why--I think you all were completely fixated on the Bathroom.   But my thought process was oil stain = old car = decayed car.   I was so sure that at least one person would have solved this one after the fourth clue.  You have no idea how much facepalming I did this game.

Night and Summer were, admittedly, extremely weak clues, but they were all I had left.  (Night was primarily to eliminate the Wallet and the Invitation Card, and also night = black = oil?  Summer was, eh, summer = hot = needs lubrication = oil?)  Like I said, I didn't think they would even be necessary after Decayed, but apparently it sent you all down the wrong path. 

But credit, I suppose, should go to Blythe and BAMF who did an excellent job sewing confusion among you guys.   But congrats, Verasaille, for seeing past their obfuscation and picking the correct answer.

Madame Professor

Not gonna lie, Summer totally threw me off. >< I got the stretch from decayed with the oil stain, but then Summer came along and I was like, crap, I'm way off base. Then my guess flopped and I had to look at things again.

Well played, though!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Assassini

Quote from: Remiel on January 19, 2016, 11:23:02 AM
Oh, thank God.  Verasaille, you are my unlikely hero.

Yeah, the first three clues--Accident, Bathroom, Instantaneous--were supposed to make you all hone in on the Electric current.  Which you did.  So that was all according to plan.

Then I introduced Decayed, and you all completely lost it.    I don't know why--I think you all were completely fixated on the Bathroom.   But my thought process was oil stain = old car = decayed car.   I was so sure that at least one person would have solved this one after the fourth clue.  You have no idea how much facepalming I did this game.

Night and Summer were, admittedly, extremely weak clues, but they were all I had left.  (Night was primarily to eliminate the Wallet and the Invitation Card, and also night = black = oil?  Summer was, eh, summer = hot = needs lubrication = oil?)  Like I said, I didn't think they would even be necessary after Decayed, but apparently it sent you all down the wrong path. 

But credit, I suppose, should go to Blythe and BAMF who did an excellent job sewing confusion among you guys.   But congrats, Verasaille, for seeing past their obfuscation and picking the correct answer.

Well...

That's just hurtful... :P

Remiel

The thing is, you have to realize that the Forensic Scientist doesn't always have the best choices available.

So, for example, when I had to pick Time of Day, what was I to do to make you guys focus on the Oil Stain?  All I had was Dawn, Morning, Noon, Afternoon, Evening, Night.   Clearly the best choice is "none of the above" but that wasn't an option.   :-\

yugi006

Decayed really threw me off from Electric Current. Then Summer which went way more off track.

Verasaille

Lady Verasaille takes a bow. "I know I had it the first clue, but the rest of those clues did have me scratching my head."

I am glad we are all up for another game!!

I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Strangefate

Congrats Verasaille!  And a polite hat tip to Assassini as well who also mentioned that possibility.  I have to admit that while I wrote above that I found some merit in the Electric Current/Oil Stain argument, I’m not sure I would have ever actually guessed it myself.  So I’m glad that someone did.  :-)   That seemed like a rather tough round – Remiel really didn’t get a lot in the way of clues to point us towards Oil Stain.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

James Moriarty

Wow!  Awesome, Verasaille!  Way to hold your ground and win it!

Galactic Druid

As always, the cards and clues are updated in the first post to keep things tidy.

Galactic Druid

Round 3!

As usual, please wait for the FS to make their initial posting before beginning discussion.

persephone325

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

The FS has chosen: Severe Injury.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Strangefate

I was going to make a list but after getting halfway through one I realized there are so many things that could cause Severe Injury it wouldn’t be very helpful at this point.

So I’ll wait for the next clue before saying anything.  Except, you know, this  :P 

(Not going to lie though, I'm already kinda hoping it's the chainsaw...  ;) )
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

Madame Professor

Can we all just take a moment... to appreciate the fact that JM left a cat behind as evidence...?

Like.. I can't even right now.

Quote from: Strangefate on January 20, 2016, 11:54:51 PM
(Not going to lie though, I'm already kinda hoping it's the chainsaw...  ;) )

(-giggles- Me too!)
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Blythe

Severe Injury, huh? Here's what I'm going to do--I think that this is enough to eliminate things already. Let's look at what perse didn't pick as Causes.

Anything that's a poison is right out. Powder Drug wouldn't make sense here. Poisonous Gas would be Suffocation or Poisoning, so it's out. Illegal Drug and Liquid Drug are right out. Mercury is out since it's a method of poisoning. Alcohol is more likely to be poisoning or accident. Wine doesn't seem to be a good one for the same reason. Radiation is more likely to be poisoning as a method of death than any of the others. Snake and chemicals are poisonous to me. Poisonous needle is out. Arsenic is also better known as a poisonous method of death. So I'd narrow it down thusly already. Poison death are hard to mistake for something else so I think we should eliminate overtly poisonous methods of death.

Player: Yugi006
Means of Murder Cards: Powder Drug, Metal Wire, Pillow, Sculpture

Player: Strangefate
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Gas, Scarf, Electric Current, Plastic Bag

Player: Remiel
Means of Murder Cards: Sniper, Illegal Drug, Drill, Liquid Drug

Player: Assassini
Means of Murder Cards: Mercury, Drown, Chainsaw, Boxcutter

Player: Blythe
Means of Murder Cards: Alcohol, Kerosene, Machete, Hammer

Means of Murder Cards:Wire, Razor Blade, Whip, Bamboo Tip

Player: BAMF
Means of Murder Cards: Wrench, Surgery, Bite and Tear, Wine

Means of Murder Cards: Trophy, Push, Folding Chair, Radiation

Player: James Moriarty
Means of Murder Cards: Blender, Towel, Venemous Snake, Chemicals

Player: Derwaysh
Means of Murder Cards: Poisonous Needle, Machine, Cleaver, Unarmed

Player: Red Pheonix
Means of Murder Cards: Ice Skates, Locked Room, Sulfuric Acid, Arsenic

Blythe

Double post.  ;D

Again, let's look at what persephone did not pick! Sometimes what a FS does not pick is as important as what they do pick.

Suffocation and Severe Injury are also not likely to have too terribly much in the way of overlapping methods, although it was easier eliminating poisonous methods. So as it stands, murder methods that would primarily suffocate should also be eliminated, I believe. I think early on, making obvious associations and eliminations is easier, and we want to do that now. As the cards go on, they're more likely to be more obscure and harder, so I think the first few cards are vitally important for making our first clear eliminations/deductions.

Pillow would fit Suffocation better than anything else. Plastic bag and Scarf would better fit Suffocation than anything else. Drowning is a direct method of suffocation. Towel is something that, like scarfs and plastic bags, is best suited to suffocation. I can't imagine persephone picking 'severe injury' for any of these things, especially considering that there are a lot of things that very readily take 'Severe Injury" as a more obvious association.

So that narrows it down quite a ways further for the Cause of Death. Revised strikeouts:

Verasaille

Looking through this list at the beginning has me cracking up. Some of those evidence cards!!

I think you are on the right track, Blythe. To me severe injury would be brutal. I imagine a weapon as something either sharp or massive definitely bloody and messy.

Topping my list would be:(in no particular order)

Followed by less likely:

Of course we need more clues to narrow it down. Let's hope the FS has some good ones coming up.

Assassini

Quote from: Verasaille on January 21, 2016, 02:00:49 AM
Looking through this list at the beginning has me cracking up. Some of those evidence cards!!

I think you are on the right track, Blythe. To me severe injury would be brutal. I imagine a weapon as something either sharp or massive definitely bloody and messy.

Topping my list would be:(in no particular order)

Followed by less likely:

Of course we need more clues to narrow it down. Let's hope the FS has some good ones coming up.

I think you might be being a bit liberal with your list there Vera (can someone say "Accomplice"?). Right now there's really not much we can do beyond crossing out what it is definitely not (as Blythe has). Especially as there is a fair bit of overlap between cards that might better suit " Loss of Blood".