Movies/Games that Sucked, and Didn't Have To

Started by Sabby, August 24, 2011, 07:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 25, 2011, 10:36:35 PM
Avatar is a lot like Independence Day, in the sense that you think the good guys won, but really, after the credits are done rolling, everyone is fucked :P They won the battle, and now the war will up the ante and just walk right over them.
The good guys did win in Independence Day. Remember, the whole race invaded Earth. They blew them all up after Will Smith and Goldblum infected the mothership with that virus. Those nasty buggers didn't have a home world.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Yeah, damn lucky that the aliens would be using an Apple OS (Will Smith took up the virus on a Powerbook.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Diablerie

Quote from: Oniya on August 26, 2011, 12:05:21 PM
Yeah, damn lucky that the aliens would be using an Apple OS (Will Smith took up the virus on a Powerbook.)

*Thinks Oniya is awesomer*  ::)

Thor...What a horrible disappointment...

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 11:35:30 AM
The good guys did win in Independence Day. Remember, the whole race invaded Earth. They blew them all up after Will Smith and Goldblum infected the mothership with that virus. Those nasty buggers didn't have a home world.

I dunno if your being funny or not xD so I may look seriousface here, but no one sends their entire race on an invasion. When the invasion force gets taken down, a bigger one shows up, usually to a mostly worn out resistance. Not to mention that Earth would then be covered in city sized alien crematoriums... all those burning bodies and alien technology, the next invasion force might not even need to do anything, we'd be dead from plague and polution.

Oniya

It would depend on the homeworld - if the original planet had become unlivable, the intelligent thing to do would be to send a number of colonizing-type ships out in different directions, so that if one failed to find a new world, the race still had a chance .  Those colony ships may or may not have ways of communicating with each other, but it would take time (speed of light limitations and all that).  Then, they'd have to consider whether they wanted to waste their ships' finite resources to turn around and try to make a second attempt on a world that had already proved 'dangerous' (possibly dooming another colony-worth of settlers), or go on to their own potential colony world.

I wouldn't completely discount the idea of a 'revenge' scenario once the alien race had set up a thriving colony - but by then, the dead aliens on Earth would have been dealt with.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 01:04:19 PM
I dunno if your being funny or not xD so I may look seriousface here, but no one sends their entire race on an invasion. When the invasion force gets taken down, a bigger one shows up, usually to a mostly worn out resistance. Not to mention that Earth would then be covered in city sized alien crematoriums... all those burning bodies and alien technology, the next invasion force might not even need to do anything, we'd be dead from plague and polution.
No, I'm being serious, I've seen that movie like nine times. They're a race of scavengers. They move the whole entirety of their population like locusts going from planet to planet harvesting resources. They explain it all in the movie. They're kind of like the Quarians from Mass Effect. They don't have a home world, just this flotilla of hive ships, and Earth blew them all up.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Correction, the President had a speech that claimed such, and the extent of his knowledge on the issue was one of the aliens told him to shut up and die, because apparently nuking his home with a city destroying laser beam was too subtle for him.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that the Mothership housed the entire race, and the only reason that it would would be from what Oniya said, specific events forcing them to leave, whether it be purposefully bleeding their previous home dry or something out of their hands, and if it ISN'T one of those, then wherever home is will send another ship.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 03:00:02 PM
They don't have a home world, just this flotilla of hive ships, and Earth blew them all up.

a ragtag, fugitive fleet, on a lonely quest—for a shining planet ...

>_>

<_<

What?

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:10:33 PM
Correction, the President had a speech that claimed such, and the extent of his knowledge on the issue was one of the aliens told him to shut up and die, because apparently nuking his home with a city destroying laser beam was too subtle for him.

There is absolutely nothing to support the idea that the Mothership housed the entire race, and the only reason that it would would be from what Oniya said, specific events forcing them to leave, whether it be purposefully bleeding their previous home dry or something out of their hands, and if it ISN'T one of those, then wherever home is will send another ship.

Gen. Gray: Are you all right?
President Thomas Whitmore: I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

The alien does the same mind-link thing it did with Crazy Hair Data with Bill Pullman.  So Bill Pullman isn't just making a crazy assumption.

However, considering that they're making a sequel... it actually presents itself as a plot hole now.

I'm pretty sure there's also a line in the movie that explains how Jeff Goldblum was able to use the Macbook to communicate with the virus.  Something about understanding their computer language or something, but all my movies are already packed up for moving into the new apartment and ID4 isn't on Netflix Streaming... not that I really want to watch the entire movie to listen for one line that I might not be remembering properly, anyhow. ^.^;;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Inkidu

Quote from: Violence on August 26, 2011, 03:31:48 PM
Gen. Gray: Are you all right?
President Thomas Whitmore: I saw... its thoughts. I saw what they're planning to do. They're like locusts. They're moving from planet to planet... their whole civilization. After they've consumed every natural resource they move on... and we're next. Nuke 'em. Let's nuke the bastards.

The alien does the same mind-link thing it did with Crazy Hair Data with Bill Pullman.  So Bill Pullman isn't just making a crazy assumption.

However, considering that they're making a sequel... it actually presents itself as a plot hole now.

I'm pretty sure there's also a line in the movie that explains how Jeff Goldblum was able to use the Macbook to communicate with the virus.  Something about understanding their computer language or something, but all my movies are already packed up for moving into the new apartment and ID4 isn't on Netflix Streaming... not that I really want to watch the entire movie to listen for one line that I might not be remembering properly, anyhow. ^.^;;
Yep, this.

Sabby

Wait, there was a Soul Gaze in that movie? Huh... unless it's just another thing the President said without anything to back it, then I'll admit I was wrong. Still, termites send out search parties before they claim a new mound >.>

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:43:59 PM
Wait, there was a Soul Gaze in that movie? Huh... unless it's just another thing the President said without anything to back it, then I'll admit I was wrong. Still, termites send out search parties before they claim a new mound >.>
I don't know how you back up a painful mind-link with anything other than your eyes, but yeah. Oh, and they did send scouts. They sent one ship with one alien who crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico and sparked off that whole Area 51 thing. However, yeah. They're migratory and they got wiped out.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 03:43:59 PM

They mind-linked with their tentacles... and... I'm now legally obligated to make a hentai joke, aren't I?

I'm not saying it's awesome writing or anything... but they did cover that problem.  Or at least, they covered it until they decided they were going to make a sequel.  I don't know how another invasion is going to be explained.  Though, to be fair, I don't know that the next movie is even about an invasion.

I'd still say it's easier for me to swallow than Signs or Battle for LA...
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Sabby

Here's an idea for an alien invasion. What happens afterwards. They need to have a movie where it begins with the typical invasion already thwarted, and it's about how the world would realistically cope with the complete chaos that would follow, with aliens stranded and dug in, technology circulating, disease spreading, humans turning on each other with the collapse of Government and economy, and the whole time, the aliens themselves are in the exact same boat. They were just soldiers. They're homes gone, they're leaders dead, they're in a strange land where they can get sick and are now being devided by their desperation, the same as we are.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 04:11:20 PM
Here's an idea for an alien invasion. What happens afterwards. They need to have a movie where it begins with the typical invasion already thwarted, and it's about how the world would realistically cope with the complete chaos that would follow, with aliens stranded and dug in, technology circulating, disease spreading, humans turning on each other with the collapse of Government and economy, and the whole time, the aliens themselves are in the exact same boat. They were just soldiers. They're homes gone, they're leaders dead, they're in a strange land where they can get sick and are now being devided by their desperation, the same as we are.

That's kinda the plot of District 9, isn't it?  Or do you mean kinda more like portrayed as a quagmire with both sides still fighting even though neither side really understands or cares what they're fighting about anymore?

I've always thought similarly about Robot apocalypse movies.  Instead of showing us the human resistance, show me a story like 1000 years after the robots already won... and that's the new civilization.

Sabby

Quote from: Violence on August 26, 2011, 04:17:03 PM
That's kinda the plot of District 9, isn't it?  Or do you mean kinda more like portrayed as a quagmire with both sides still fighting even though neither side really understands or cares what they're fighting about anymore?

I've always thought similarly about Robot apocalypse movies.  Instead of showing us the human resistance, show me a story like 1000 years after the robots already won... and that's the new civilization.

District 9 was more passive then that, I'm talking about the aftermath of something like Independence Day, hell, just use that as the template. The ships have crashed, but the aliens survive in pockets, human population taken a huge hit, and as you say, both stuck in a stalemate fighting for no reason.

Violence

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 04:20:27 PM
District 9 was more passive then that, I'm talking about the aftermath of something like Independence Day, hell, just use that as the template. The ships have crashed, but the aliens survive in pockets, human population taken a huge hit, and as you say, both stuck in a stalemate fighting for no reason.

I'm kinda surprised that somebody hasn't made that movie already.  I think it would be kinda cool if you told the story from the perspective of the aliens, too.  Maybe they weren't even invaders they were just colonists and didn't expect anybody to be here.  Language barriers and both sides perceiving acts of aggression prevent them from talking it out.

Sabby

Not to mention one side killed off 70% of the others population. Never goes down well.

Oniya

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Xanatos

The aliens in Independence Day did not kill a majority of the Human population. There were only a few dozen of alien ships. America alone has a dozen+ cities with millions, let alone Europe, China (duh), India (duh), etc etc. Millions died, but nothing that truly set Humanity back. The only things set back were the air-force military branches of the various countries involved. America still has its mighty Navy and Army/Marines!

The aliens did not destroy cities to wipe Humanity out, that was what the armies were for. They destroyed cities to draw in the resistance and wipe it out, or as best they could before the true invasion force came. As for the surviving aliens, there would have been so few, it wouldn't have mattered. Their tech relied largely on the mothership. Their soldiers proved just as weak as Human's, so basically the still largely intact armies of the world would just march in, kick alien ass, and salvage tons and tons of alien tech and be using it inside of twenty years.

Jeff Goldblooms character hacked into the aliens transmissions. Its no different than a hacker getting into things that "supposedly" he shouldn't be able too. Besides, he stumbled into it accidentally, but was smart enough to figure out how to use that to his advantage. Its not beyond the scope of reality, not even by a long shot. If you think about it, base elements and what can be made from them, means the scope of technology is limited (to what degree, who knows), and all forms of technology would have similar principles in how they operate. Some people, like Jeff's char, would be brilliant enough to realize this simple reality.

Independence day is not the best movie to base a fallout type post-alien invasion story off of.

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 26, 2011, 05:55:07 PM
I love that show.
Me too, but having the main character go with the aliens in season 1? Too soon? Could lead to possible suckage later down the line.

Jag

Quote from: Inkidu on August 26, 2011, 06:51:26 PM
Me too, but having the main character go with the aliens in season 1? Too soon? Could lead to possible suckage later down the line.

Episode 1 of Season 2 better be freaking amazing, otherwise I foresee them losing a lot of viewers.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Inkidu

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 26, 2011, 06:52:40 PM
Episode 1 of Season 2 better be freaking amazing, otherwise I foresee them losing a lot of viewers.
Yeah, that's why I'm worried. I think they might have rushed this first season. I understand that they wanted to keep people engaged by reveals and all that. However, usually the boarding of the spacecraft for peace negotiations or whatnot is usually an ending stroke. I wonder if they did that for fear of not being renewed.

Also, I kind of noticed that Falling Skies borrows a touch or two out of the Mass Effect playbook. Still, it's nothing horribly overt and it's been tailored.

Sabby

Quote from: Xanatos on August 26, 2011, 06:50:21 PM
The aliens in Independence Day did not kill a majority of the Human population. There were only a few dozen of alien ships. America alone has a dozen+ cities with millions, let alone Europe, China (duh), India (duh), etc etc. Millions died, but nothing that truly set Humanity back. The only things set back were the air-force military branches of the various countries involved. America still has its mighty Navy and Army/Marines!

The aliens did not destroy cities to wipe Humanity out, that was what the armies were for. They destroyed cities to draw in the resistance and wipe it out, or as best they could before the true invasion force came. As for the surviving aliens, there would have been so few, it wouldn't have mattered. Their tech relied largely on the mothership. Their soldiers proved just as weak as Human's, so basically the still largely intact armies of the world would just march in, kick alien ass, and salvage tons and tons of alien tech and be using it inside of twenty years.

Jeff Goldblooms character hacked into the aliens transmissions. Its no different than a hacker getting into things that "supposedly" he shouldn't be able too. Besides, he stumbled into it accidentally, but was smart enough to figure out how to use that to his advantage. Its not beyond the scope of reality, not even by a long shot. If you think about it, base elements and what can be made from them, means the scope of technology is limited (to what degree, who knows), and all forms of technology would have similar principles in how they operate. Some people, like Jeff's char, would be brilliant enough to realize this simple reality.

Independence day is not the best movie to base a fallout type post-alien invasion story off of.

Then don't use it as the setting for the proposed idea :P Just have the foiled invasion leaving humans and aliens in a deadlock with equal numbers and no leadership. It's still a promising idea.