ownership of characters and writing.

Started by lillisa, January 23, 2019, 12:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lillisa

I may have completely overlooked this, but couldn't find a rule or guidelines.

I've noticed that quite often group games fizzle out because one or two players leave, leaving behind a hole that even new recruits chomping at the bits cannot repair. So I'm wondering, for sake of continuity, can I demand as a GM that if a PC has not been posted for a certain, realistic time it reverts to GM control, or would that be against forum rules (regarding artistic ownership and such)

RedPhoenix

There is no explicit rule about character ownership (whoops, thanks avis!) but the civility rule is very all-encompassing and should be considered.

As a GM who has been in that situation here is what my approach was:

Civility rules require that you make efforts to write out a character in a way that their author would be okay with. But if you can't have that conversation for whatever reason and you as a GM need to do something to accommodate other characters and the plot, then just try to do it in as benign a fashion as possible, consistent with the way they played the character as you can.

If you're talking about a game that you are going to put up an ad for consider making it part of the disclaimer and rules, "If you go inactive for x amount of time your character will revert to GM control." Or something like that. I don't think that would be a violation of anything.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Avis habilis

Our official policy on ownership of creative material is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=98597.msg4283531#msg4283531 (scroll down to the section titled Copyright).

Writers own the characters they create. However, nothing says that the players in a game can't agree ahead of time that if they drop out or fade away, the character becomes "communal property" as it were. I suppose there's nothing to say you couldn't establish that as a ground rule for participating in that particular game.