Xbox One Vs PS4 - Next Gen gaming

Started by Moraline, May 21, 2013, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Frost on November 26, 2013, 01:58:26 PM
Just a warning to you if bandwidth is a issue, some games have rather large updates like 6GB for Forza 5
What the actual fuck? What could need six gigs. I think I'm so screwed this generation unless I can get some place with internet that doesn't have a monthly limit. D:

Six freaking gigs. Must be a terrible game if it's a bug fix. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on November 26, 2013, 06:08:09 PM
What the actual fuck? What could need six gigs. I think I'm so screwed this generation unless I can get some place with internet that doesn't have a monthly limit. D:

Six freaking gigs. Must be a terrible game if it's a bug fix. :\

Yup, avoiding Xbone.  I don't have a data limit but I could do better things than download a 6gb patch.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 26, 2013, 09:06:20 PM
Yup, avoiding Xbone.  I don't have a data limit but I could do better things than download a 6gb patch.
I guess it's either PS4 or PC this time around. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on November 27, 2013, 08:14:17 AM
I guess it's either PS4 or PC this time around. :P

I'm rocking PC till three games that I want are on their way to being released...  Or if I hear about a FFXV or KH3 system bundle being released.

Oreo

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 27, 2013, 03:11:48 PM
I'm rocking PC till three games that I want are on their way to being released...  Or if I hear about a FFXV or KH3 system bundle being released.

This! I am hoping there might be a FFXV bundle by Christmas next year.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oreo on November 27, 2013, 03:16:20 PM
This! I am hoping there might be a FFXV bundle by Christmas next year.

Yeah I'm hoping it comes with a custom shell as well.

Sasquatch421

Meh the last good Final Fantasy was 9.... JRPG's are all the same these days and they are the only thing that Sony has to offer anymore.  Though I admit Dragon Crown wasn't bad... There are only a few games I want at the moment and since they hit the 360 I'm ignoring this gen for now. No backwards compatibility for either system means that this old gamer is most likely done....

SinXAzgard21

All FPS are the same, all driving games are the same, platforming games are all the same. 

Chris Brady

Mechanically, I would agree, but the issue with JRPGs (for me) is that they have this story formula that they more or less follow, they have the same personality archetypes, and it doesn't matter which studio, they simply regurgitate the same epic fantasy concept over and over again.  Worse, their home audience like that way, and scream and yell, whenever someone changes it.

The only thing that is similar in the Western side are military shooters.  If they even try for a story.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Moraline

I'm really glad to hear that people aren't having any problems with their consoles and so glad that XBone back tracked on pretty much everything it did wrong.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's all so exciting. So many new toys out there. I want them all!  *makes grabby hands*

So far the only consistent complaint I've heard (that's general in nature) is that the XBone takes a much longer time loading games the first time then the PS4 does. That's just minor in my opinion since it's only a one time thing.

Chris Brady

According to one review of both hardware I heard on a podcast, the XB One's UI is less intuitive than PS4's, with many more steps to get to things, as well, as should you need it, the PS4 has actual prompts as to what button does what, should you need it.  Not game breaking, but it's a little harder than it could be on the XB One.  The Voice command option on the XB One is also a little less accurate than advertised.

Also: 
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Mathim

If nobody's mentioned it yet (and I can't imagine they haven't) you guys should all check out the latest South Park episodes. It's about the kids waging a war between who wants which console, Game of Thrones style.

Personally I've always been more of a Sony guy, and although I'm looking to get a PS3 rather than PS4, I'm on their side for this new generation. The playstation network offers tons of retro games from the PS' first generations that I'm jonesing for and Xbox only has maybe 3-5 games tops that I'd even consider (and I'm ever so royally pissed at Microsoft for obtaining Rare and totally fucking everyone over as far as the Nintendo-Donkey Kong Country/64 issue is concerned). Nasty business, that.

Not at all interested in the games offered specifically for the new consoles excepting South Park: The Stick of Truth which is available on both, means Sony still wins out in my book. Maybe if I get bored enough I'll try these first-person shooters that are pretty much the only things game companies are cranking out anymore but apart from the previous era downloadable games, there's not much else I'd do with either console. Can't remark on the objective quality of either system but I'm not shallow when it comes to graphics so that's immaterial in my judgment. Let them spy on me all they want (I'm not doing anything online with it except downloading those games and then disconnecting anyway), they'll just see a 30-year-old man playing the original Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Doomsday

I'm adoring my spybox 180 so far, and I wish they brought the 24 hour check-in back (or at least have some kinda opt in) so that I can stop toiling with discs.

Inkidu

What's the whole thing about cloud computing? Each one of them was touting how great it was going to be but lip service on that has dried up.

Frost

I think the cloud computing will take off 2014-15 when game developers integrate it in to their games, I so can not wait to see what the next 2-3 years will bring when developers really start to use the tech these two machines have

Inkidu

Quote from: Frost on December 12, 2013, 07:02:36 PM
I think the cloud computing will take off 2014-15 when game developers integrate it in to their games, I so can not wait to see what the next 2-3 years will bring when developers really start to use the tech these two machines have.
I wonder if it will actually cause more problems than it is profitable. If a game can only be enjoyable because someone has access to the internet it might end up alienating sizable portions of a once stable profit base. :\

Frost

I think, or a logical way to think about it from a companies view to keep customers happy, would to make it that cloud enhances game play, maybe the larger textures are held on cloud, added effects and so forth that the xbox one/ PS4 can offload and use this, rather than say, well if you ain't got internet , you can not play this game kind of deal

ShadowFox89

You're assuming the companies want their buyers to be happy, and not simply be hooked.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inkidu

Fair points. I probably won't adopt one of them until late 2014 anyway. Unless I win a One by eating McDonald's.

Frost

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 12, 2013, 07:24:46 PM
You're assuming the companies want their buyers to be happy, and not simply be hooked.

Well in this day and age buyers need to be happy, the games industry has already seen a lot of developers closing offices and downsizing, if they produce a console and do not cater for the buyers then they know full well they will lose out in the end, developers will lose interest in producing for the console and it could swing back to PC's becoming more mainstream.

ISP's already have a large amount of traffic with online movies and such, adding increasing data usage by gamers will swamp them unless something is done to advance in the way ISP supply us, giving us stable strong fast connection wherever we are in the world.

Inkidu

Quote from: Frost on December 12, 2013, 07:50:32 PM
Well in this day and age buyers need to be happy, the games industry has already seen a lot of developers closing offices and downsizing, if they produce a console and do not cater for the buyers then they know full well they will lose out in the end, developers will lose interest in producing for the console and it could swing back to PC's becoming more mainstream.

ISP's already have a large amount of traffic with online movies and such, adding increasing data usage by gamers will swamp them unless something is done to advance in the way ISP supply us, giving us stable strong fast connection wherever we are in the world.
Which they're not going to do. I often liken the current trend toward internet is like requiring air-conditioning in homes before Thomas Edison lit up Battery Park. :\

Companies aren't running line unless they think they can make enough money. As much as certain people tell me that there's plenty I always remind them that my house couldn't pay for the cable to be run (read: we told them we would pay the cost to run the cable not a quarter of a mile). We were willing to not only pay for the service, but the wire, and told they didn't need our money.

Doomsday

What makes me interested in cloud computing is that it's going to make games more vast. The XBONE will be able to put all of its processing power towards generating graphics (a process which is greatly improved with DX 11.2) while the cloud will be able to handle things such as AI computing. In theory, you could have more AI on the field and still sustain good graphics. I really would like to see how this comes into effect for a game like Watch_Dogs, which is going to feel very 'alive' with all of the activity happening around the player.

Frost

well said! I am so looking forward to Watch Dogs, I am kinda glad they pushed back the release date so they can polish it up and tie up the loose ends, Battlefield 4 feels a little rushed IMHO, there is a lot they need to iron out.

Inkidu

Quote from: Frost on December 13, 2013, 04:29:43 PM
well said! I am so looking forward to Watch Dogs, I am kinda glad they pushed back the release date so they can polish it up and tie up the loose ends, Battlefield 4 feels a little rushed IMHO, there is a lot they need to iron out.
Eh, I'm generally wary of any game that either releases info too early or gets delayed. Usually developers try to cram in a lot of extra stuff instead of polish when they've got more time.i Any game that is delayed twice or more I probably avoid altogether.