News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukina

Quote from: LostInTheMist on December 22, 2018, 03:09:57 AM
My favorite anime has to be Code Geass, and R2. I haven't seen the latest releases, because I find myself not being in college and not pursuing the hot girl in anime club any longer.

I also love Infinite Ryvius, which almost nobody in my anime club really appreciated. It was Lord of the Flies in space, and it depicted space battles in a way that was true to life... the way space battles would almost certainly ACTUALLY happen.

Because I was in the anime club, but I didn't watch a lot of anime outside the club, I don't have a lot of experience with general anime. I technically watched Code Geass: R2 outside of the club, but only one member of the club wound up not seeing it. Euphemia was her favorite character, and she wasn't a fan of blood or gore, so Code Geass was not for her. I watched the old Fullmetal Alchemist and X with the hot girl in anime club who was my gf for about six months.)

I also watched Romeo X Juliet outside of anime club, but everyone in the club had seen it the year before I joined, and I watched all of Elfen Lied in one sitting with my roommate while waiting for a train. I don't condone mass murder, but when you kill a puppy,  you forfeit the right to life....

Nice to see another Code Geass fan. :)

(I definitely agree regarding that puppy)

Inkidu

Anyone else into Goblin Slayer!?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kunoichi

There's been some discussion of it over the past few pages.  I'm both watching the anime and reading the manga, myself.

When it comes to the Spring 2019 anime season, the two shows I'm most looking forward to are the second season of Mob Psycho 100 and a series called Boogiepop wa Warawanai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tu253SOas

Sain

Quote from: Inkidu on December 28, 2018, 09:24:25 PM

Goblin Slayer is fun. Was kinda disappointed at how the animation translated those Gobbo Slayer - Priestess scenes (they were much more impactful in the manga), but the last ep was good again.

That BoogiePoP and Others looks fun.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Inkidu

Quote from: Sain on December 29, 2018, 03:55:09 AM
Goblin Slayer is fun. Was kinda disappointed at how the animation translated those Gobbo Slayer - Priestess scenes (they were much more impactful in the manga), but the last ep was good again.

That BoogiePoP and Others looks fun.
I was just wondering if anyone else thought like I did that since the one on the die and GS's eyes could have the same red effect that was him forcing a Fate Reroll on a Nat One. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Inkidu on December 30, 2018, 08:40:49 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else thought like I did that since the one on the die and GS's eyes could have the same red effect that was him forcing a Fate Reroll on a Nat One. :P

As the end of the last episode in this season said, Goblin Slayer doesn't allow the gods to roll the dice for him at all.  He takes 10 or takes 20 on every roll.  Though the glow for his eye was the same as the one coming off of the natural one the rest of the party rolled close to the end of episode 7, and that definitely had to have been a deliberate choice.

Snake

The red eye in goblin slayer is him getting a Nat 20 on intimidation checks.

Sessha

Quote from: Inkidu on December 28, 2018, 09:24:25 PM

I enjoyed it myself. I personally was glad they didn't exactly shy away from what kind of horrors Goblins can inflict on people. I do like that it was only around in the story just long enough to establish what they can do and why they need to be hunted. Though I'm still a little baffled by the choice to change the story arcs around. The Battle at Lake Town took place after the grand battle at the farm. All the same I am glad they are going to be making a new season of as soon as more material comes available. Now the three I'm looki ng forward to this season are Monster Musume Season 2,Trinty Seven and Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Snake

Because GS reveals his face to everyone and that's reasonably big. At water town, only sword maiden saw him without the helmet, it's implied.

Inkidu

And in general the scale of the fights seems more natural in progression. There are a few gobo champs in the farm fight but ONE in the Water Town fights, and it can establish itself as a certified platinum badass by taking out GS and having him come back to finish the job. I've only seen the anime, but that's what I picked up.

In general I love how it almost revels in the generic tropes of the fantasy genre to illustrate the folly of RPG games in general. Who's going to be there when slaying goblins is too good for heroes who want bigger and badder challenges? It explores the idea of Peace Philosophy often dubbed Positive Peace. Sure there's no Dark Lord, but there are the heinous little irredeemable monsters that only get so powerful because people let them. It's like if an exterminator got too good to take out cockroaches. The fabric of society still breaks down.

Andol

Wait.... THEY ARE MAKING A MONSTER MUSUME SEASON 2?

Sessha

Quote from: Andol on January 01, 2019, 04:10:07 AM
Wait.... THEY ARE MAKING A MONSTER MUSUME SEASON 2?

It's been in the works for nearly two years now. They just keep pushing the release date back and back and back. I've not heard anymore changes so far, so I'm guessing they are finally ready to push it out the door.

Sain

I kinda liked the first episode of "Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note" (damn that name is a mouthful).

It's really nice to see stuff in the type moon setting involving mages that isn't Grail War.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Assassini

Been watching a few different animes lately, most of which haven't really scratched the itch I have for a series which is well-written but also allows itself to have fun (bring on the next season of My Hero Academia, Konosuba or One Punch Man already!).

Goblin Slayer - actually served pretty well for what I wanted in that it felt like it was able to tread the line between serious and not so serious that it becomes overly self-important. No real downsides actually beyond that it just wasn't quite GREAT in the way some shows are (perhaps because it was so short and there is no real long-term goal yet, which is kind of the point of the show too).

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime - completely opposite direction of Goblin Slayer in that it's basically completely landing on the "fun" side of things. Really, it's trying to be Konosuba... And failing... It has the huge drawback that there feels like there's genuinely no threat in the show. The protag is already OP as fuck, so there's literally zero stakes.

Steins; Gate - tried it because it if you Google "best anime series" you will consistently find it near the top. But it's just so fucking slow. I gave it more than a fair shot, even made it like 15 episodes through the 23 episode thing before I just finally accepted it was boring me. And that's in spite of its interesting concept. Worse is the fact that it seems to start contradicting its own rules as it progresses and that the decisions of the characters start making less and less sense to me. Just couldn't deal with it.

Hunter x Hunter - Another series which is constantly on top 100 lists. Given the brief descriptions and the length it actually sounded like it could be really good. Maybe something to rival Fullmetal Alchemist? But no. No it isn't. It's far too childish. It has character designs and episode arcs which felt more reminiscent of Pokemon than FMA, so I'm not sure I'll continue with it, again despite getting 15 episodes in.

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai - a currently airing thing which is a bit out of the left field, but I saw a recommendation for it and decided to give it a shot. I quite liked the art style but the whole thing is just like Steins; Gate in that there seems to be an interesting core premise here which is every so gradually ruined by just boring writing. At first there seemed to be an effort to do a Konosuba thing where the protag is a "pervy guy" who doesn't compromise and so it could have potentially been pretty funny. But after the first few episodes the humour starts falling off and it starts getting so pretentious it's actually kind of unbearable. So, AGAIN, I'm now unsure I'll finish it.

It can be so damned hard to find something decent in anime...

Haruki

So many anime, so little time for me.  Let's see what I've been up to and what's in the queue:

My absolute favorite this last Fall season:
That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime:  Love, Love, !!LOVE!! this one!  Yes, Rimuru Tempest is an overpowered son-of-a-b****, but that's the point.  In my opinion, this show is making fun of, and relishing in, all the tropes that people bemoan with most other isekai-genre titles.  I can understand why stuff like Overlord is big (as it flips the point-of-view to a rarely-seen antagonists side), but I'll take that lovable Slime any day.  My escape anime.

I've also poked into RADIANT and Ulysses, but thinking of tossing those out of the queue.  Black Clover is enough shonen action for me, the only reason Radiant got a huge push is because it's not a Japanese manga, but rather, a French fantasy comic series upon which the Japanese are doing an anime take for.  I suppose that's a first.

Ulysses, which was supposedly to be a fantasized/fictional account of the whole 'Joan of Ark' history in 1800s France, could have been so good, but already out of the gate with its first episode, it stumbled, and by the 3rd episode, all bets were off to it being anything unique for me.  *sigh*  Oh well.  I have enough other things to catch up on, like these:

Sakura Quest: This was sitting in my FunimationNOW queue for a good half-year now, and had the time over the holidays to take some of it in.  Five young women all with different paths in their lives, converge onto a small town whose economy & tourism has gone South, and it follows their year-long attempt to prop the town's fortunes up.  Not anything groundbreaking in terms of slice-of-life, and I'm sure some will find it downright boring, but I am enjoying it.  Almost finished up with it.

I also picked these catalog titles recently as well, all of which I've wanted for years now:

All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku: This seemed quite popular in the mid/late 1990s, pre-Pokemon/DBZ/Toonami anime scene.  I just remember seeing the title pop up a lot in chatroom discussions back then.  Took me nearly 20 years, but Discotek made it possible for me to finally have it.  It's just a fun slice of '90s nostalgia.  They sure did a lot of off-beat things in the realm of video-only anime at the time.

Hana yori Dango: VIZ Media pushed this in tandem with their Maison Ikkoku DVDs, and then it quickly went OOP so I was unable to collect it.  I finally got it with Discotek's reissue.  Straight-up shojo highschool romance stuff they just don't make anymore.  It's a bit of a shame to be honest.

Marmalade Boy: Ditto this one like the above title.  Seems more and more, for classic shojo romance, one has to go back to the 1990s for it.  It's a long one too, 70+ episodes.

Star Ocean EX: Yes, an incomplete anime take by DEEN (Fruits Basket '01, Ranma 1/2, etc) of the cult hit PS1 RPG.  The animation shows its age too; that's to say, not-so-great 'digital painted' cels.  I'm so glad they do it all on computers nowadays rather than sketch out keyframes onto cels and then scan them in for colorizing.  That method of those early years really resulted in some shots/pans that age these anime horribly.  Even the Fruits Basket (2001 series) Blurays made these imperfections rear their ugly head.  I just got this one cause it was cheap, and I'm a completist

And finally got these as gifts this past Christmas:

Attack on Titan - Season 2:  Time for a binge session with this one.  This show just has a ton going on thanks to its large cast.

Your Name:  FINALLY!!  My turn to watch this film that everyone couldn't stop talking about in the general online anime-watching community.  I skimmed a bit at the beginning, and I'll say with confidence; this is one gorgeous film in terms of animation.

Yona of the Dawn:  I'm a sucker for this East Asian-themed fantasy stuff, and stories that have a female protag. that has her 'coming of age'  moment from 'weak willed, inept, immature, whiny' to 'strong-willed and ready to defend her kingdom and right any wrongdoing', with a light romance sub-plot.  Sadly Japan's anime watchers didn't take to it and it remains unfinished.  T_T  Always seems to happen with these stories.  Still most likely going to enjoy this none the less.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Assassini

Quote from: Haruki on January 02, 2019, 09:47:13 PM
So many anime, so little time for me.  Let's see what I've been up to and what's in the queue:

My absolute favorite this last Fall season:
That Time I Got Reincarnated As a Slime:  Love, Love, !!LOVE!! this one!  Yes, Rimuru Tempest is an overpowered son-of-a-b****, but that's the point.  In my opinion, this show is making fun of, and relishing in, all the tropes that people bemoan with most other isekai-genre titles.  I can understand why stuff like Overlord is big (as it flips the point-of-view to a rarely-seen antagonists side), but I'll take that lovable Slime any day.  My escape anime.

I've also poked into RADIANT and Ulysses, but thinking of tossing those out of the queue.  Black Clover is enough shonen action for me, the only reason Radiant got a huge push is because it's not a Japanese manga, but rather, a French fantasy comic series upon which the Japanese are doing an anime take for.  I suppose that's a first.

Ulysses, which was supposedly to be a fantasized/fictional account of the whole 'Joan of Ark' history in 1800s France, could have been so good, but already out of the gate with its first episode, it stumbled, and by the 3rd episode, all bets were off to it being anything unique for me.  *sigh*  Oh well.  I have enough other things to catch up on, like these:

Sakura Quest: This was sitting in my FunimationNOW queue for a good half-year now, and had the time over the holidays to take some of it in.  Five young women all with different paths in their lives, converge onto a small town whose economy & tourism has gone South, and it follows their year-long attempt to prop the town's fortunes up.  Not anything groundbreaking in terms of slice-of-life, and I'm sure some will find it downright boring, but I am enjoying it.  Almost finished up with it.

I also picked these catalog titles recently as well, all of which I've wanted for years now:

All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku: This seemed quite popular in the mid/late 1990s, pre-Pokemon/DBZ/Toonami anime scene.  I just remember seeing the title pop up a lot in chatroom discussions back then.  Took me nearly 20 years, but Discotek made it possible for me to finally have it.  It's just a fun slice of '90s nostalgia.  They sure did a lot of off-beat things in the realm of video-only anime at the time.

Hana yori Dango: VIZ Media pushed this in tandem with their Maison Ikkoku DVDs, and then it quickly went OOP so I was unable to collect it.  I finally got it with Discotek's reissue.  Straight-up shojo highschool romance stuff they just don't make anymore.  It's a bit of a shame to be honest.

Marmalade Boy: Ditto this one like the above title.  Seems more and more, for classic shojo romance, one has to go back to the 1990s for it.  It's a long one too, 70+ episodes.

Star Ocean EX: Yes, an incomplete anime take by DEEN (Fruits Basket '01, Ranma 1/2, etc) of the cult hit PS1 RPG.  The animation shows its age too; that's to say, not-so-great 'digital painted' cels.  I'm so glad they do it all on computers nowadays rather than sketch out keyframes onto cels and then scan them in for colorizing.  That method of those early years really resulted in some shots/pans that age these anime horribly.  Even the Fruits Basket (2001 series) Blurays made these imperfections rear their ugly head.  I just got this one cause it was cheap, and I'm a completist

And finally got these as gifts this past Christmas:

Attack on Titan - Season 2:  Time for a binge session with this one.  This show just has a ton going on thanks to its large cast.

Your Name:  FINALLY!!  My turn to watch this film that everyone couldn't stop talking about in the general online anime-watching community.  I skimmed a bit at the beginning, and I'll say with confidence; this is one gorgeous film in terms of animation.

Yona of the Dawn:  I'm a sucker for this East Asian-themed fantasy stuff, and stories that have a female protag. that has her 'coming of age'  moment from 'weak willed, inept, immature, whiny' to 'strong-willed and ready to defend her kingdom and right any wrongdoing', with a light romance sub-plot.  Sadly Japan's anime watchers didn't take to it and it remains unfinished.  T_T  Always seems to happen with these stories.  Still most likely going to enjoy this none the less.

Maybe I'm missing the point with Reincarnated as a Slime (I mean, I had to Google what "isekai" meant), but I compare it Konosuba because it feels like Konosuba ACTUALLY subverts expectations and makes fun of all the tropes you mention from that particular style and then Slime tries to do the same but it just isn't as funny or as original any more. I mean Konosuba even did the whole joke about "slimes being super weak" in its last series... Plus, it feels like they really are leaning wayyyy to heavily on this central character who has cheat codes for everything, so all of these central villains it's building towards feel totally pointless because you know Rimuru will win.

All that said, I actually still like it as a show. It's fun and lighthearted and easy to just switch off and enjoy. I just wouldn't add it to any top 10 lists.

I also don't really get why Rimuru decides to walk around as a sort of genderless individual when in human form as well... But I don't really question that kind of stuff from Japan too much.

While replying I'll also mention: Your Name was actually great. Super enjoyable film and really awesome art-style. Definitely recommend that to anyone else reading this.

deathspell

I'm starting to regret all the years I've put into watching One Piece. This current arc is UNBEARABLY BAD.
The darkness had arranged itself into something that resembled intent.

Snake

Recently I got back into watching my pile of her anime. Mostlt

Flame of Recce: the art design and all is very dated and it shows. The story is decent but due to it coming out before the source manga finished, it feels very incomplete with its "OK its over" ending. (the manga goes 33 volumes. The anime ends after the first major arc. )  Verdict: read the manga.

Tenjou Tenge  while I like the T&A,the story is crap. I havent read the manga.

Star Ocean EX: Loved the source game. Felt letdown by anime.  Play the game.

Ah! My goddess: enjoy idea of it. Hate the eternal cockblock issue. Where's the fun In that?

Fate/Stay Night: too. Damn. Convoluted!

More recent anime:

High school DxD: guilty pleasure. I like the angle on the way things work.  But I really see the wish fulfillment especially in season 2. J honestly didn't get wby everything with Tits flung themselves at the protagonist so suddenly. He's kinda of a loser unless plot demands otherwise.

Goblin Slayer: love it. I'm a DND geek and this anime was,  by word of god, based on tabletop games like that I actually how they make the goblins look thoroughly vile in this day of monster girls and fanservice.  Makes you want to stab them in the face and enjoy it.

Akame GA Kill: prefer the manga but the anime isn't horrible. I just wish Esdeath had actual character growth and maybe even redeemed herself in the end. But no, they had to keep the idea of a super powered threat around.

Sessha

Quote from: Snake on January 03, 2019, 02:21:58 PM
Recently I got back into watching my pile of her anime. Mostlt

Flame of Recce: the art design and all is very dated and it shows. The story is decent but due to it coming out before the source manga finished, it feels very incomplete with its "OK its over" ending. (the manga goes 33 volumes. The anime ends after the first major arc. )  Verdict: read the manga.

I never watched the anime but yes I have been told that the manga was far better and more complete.

Yes the show does stop right in the middle of the story arc. Best bet read the manga. There is so much that is left unsaid and undone and such.

Star Ocean EX: Loved the source game. Felt letdown by anime.  Play the game.

I wouldn't know never played the game or such. So I will have to take your word for it.

Ah! My goddess: enjoy idea of it. Hate the eternal cockblock issue. Where's the fun In that?

I can tell you this much there is an actual in series for it. You have to read the manga to find out why that is and it's a actually the point of an entire last arc of the series. Trust me it's worth the read.

Fate/Stay Night: too. Damn. Convoluted!

The simplest way of dealing with anything Fate related is think of each different series as it's own separate series with one notable exception. That is the Fate/Zero. Zero is a prequal series to the original Visual Novel the Various Fate series are attached to. Only Fate/ Stay Night(The original Studio Deen version[gags because of good reasons]), Fate/ Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/ Stay Night Heaven's Feel pts. 1&2, Fate Extra and Fate/Zero. Any of the other Fate series are by and large considered Elseworld's Tales. Though Grand Order which if the mobile game and an anime OVA tries to toss all your Fate stuff in but I digress.

High school DxD: guilty pleasure. I like the angle on the way things work.  But I really see the wish fulfillment especially in season 2. J honestly didn't get wby everything with Tits flung themselves at the protagonist so suddenly. He's kinda of a loser unless plot demands otherwise.

Yes very much a guilty pleasure. Though they give a half hearted reason in why in season 2 the girls begin to want to throw themselves at him. It's largely due to his draconic nature. Remember he did fuse with a dragon and such. However they do a better job throughout the rest of that season and into season 3 of explaining why the girls begin to like him. Which you add at least one more by the mid-point of season 4. Also you can stop watching Season 3 after finishing episode 9. Only watch the OVA that comes after it and then move on to season 4. Season 4's Episode 0 as it were retcons away the rest of season 3 with a vengeance. Also get ready for a complete art-style shift going from season 3 to season 4. That said yes it is a guilty pleasure anime.  ;D ;D ;D

Goblin Slayer: love it. I'm a DND geek and this anime was,  by word of god, based on tabletop games like that I actually how they make the goblins look thoroughly vile in this day of monster girls and fanservice.  Makes you want to stab them in the face and enjoy it.

I myself enjoyed Goblin Slayer. I did like the fact that made Goblins a real viable threat and explained why they were such a threat.

Akame GA Kill: prefer the manga but the anime isn't horrible. I just wish Esdeath had actual character growth and maybe even redeemed herself in the end. But no, they had to keep the idea of a super powered threat around.

I'll take your word for it, as I haven't watched it yet.

Haruki

Lots to comment on here, but I'll keep it to the ones I know best.

Ah! My Goddess - Compared to a lot of 'harem' stuff that came after it (with the exception of another early-2000s favorite of mine, Ai Yori Aoshi), at least a love interest between the main male and female MCs is established out of the gate and there is actual true love there.  Most newer things..which I believe really started with Love Hina and continues to this day, the hapless male MC is always seemingly paired off with the girl who hates him the most.  This nags me to no end (i know IRL I sure as heck wouldn't want a girl who HATED me).  Guess it's all part of that whole 'tsundere' character sheet.  Anyways, any other girls who enter the fold are just distractions to our main couple.  Really just old-school rom-com / slice-of-life stuff.  Definitely not Top 10 material, but it's a fun little guilty pleasure.

I'll still vouch for the OAVs and movie to this franchise.  Very nicely animated and plotted stuff there.  The TV series feels 'unfinished'.  I'll be honest, I'd love to see a re-boot of Ah My Goddess, as the manga is finally completed and thus they can do a complete animated story, ala what Fruits Basket is finally getting.

Going back to my bit about Reincarnated As A Slime, someone had mentioned they "wouldn't place it in their Top 10, but it's enjoyable."  Hear-hear.  Maybe I came off a bit 'raving' about it, but it's certainly not the worst this last season, nor the worst out of my 22+ years of being an anime viewing hobbyist.  I've yet to check out Konosuba.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Kunoichi

Quote from: Assassini on January 02, 2019, 06:13:13 PM
Hunter x Hunter - Another series which is constantly on top 100 lists. Given the brief descriptions and the length it actually sounded like it could be really good. Maybe something to rival Fullmetal Alchemist? But no. No it isn't. It's far too childish. It has character designs and episode arcs which felt more reminiscent of Pokemon than FMA, so I'm not sure I'll continue with it, again despite getting 15 episodes in.

If you stick with it, Hunter x Hunter starts getting into darker story arcs as it goes on.  Most of the descriptions and pretty every time the series shows up on top 100 lists are based entirely on events that happen in said later arcs, so it could still very well be what you're looking for.

As for Reincarnated as a Slime and Konosuba, the main relationship I'd draw between the two is that Slime Tensei is more of a straight example of the genre that Konosuba subverts and parodies.

Lux12

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2019, 02:43:55 AM
If you stick with it, Hunter x Hunter starts getting into darker story arcs as it goes on.  Most of the descriptions and pretty every time the series shows up on top 100 lists are based entirely on events that happen in said later arcs, so it could still very well be what you're looking for.

As for Reincarnated as a Slime and Konosuba, the main relationship I'd draw between the two is that Slime Tensei is more of a straight example of the genre that Konosuba subverts and parodies.

Yeah. Honestly, it wasn't until the fight between Gon and Hisoka in the Heaven's Arena arc that I was convinced the series had more to offer me and boy did it. If I have any major complaint about Yoshihiro Togashi's work it's that it takes him a comparatively long time to get to the really good stuff. This was main complaint about Yu Yu Hakusho as well and I love that series.

Assassini

Quote from: Haruki on January 03, 2019, 08:18:41 PM
Going back to my bit about Reincarnated As A Slime, someone had mentioned they "wouldn't place it in their Top 10, but it's enjoyable."  Hear-hear.  Maybe I came off a bit 'raving' about it, but it's certainly not the worst this last season, nor the worst out of my 22+ years of being an anime viewing hobbyist.  I've yet to check out Konosuba.

"Somebody"...? Well that's just hurtful... :P It was literally 4 messages ago.

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 04, 2019, 02:43:55 AM

Is that right? I mean, I did see a discussion about it on Reddit about how it started getting a bit darker during the Hunter trials because it involved people getting killed. But it still felt very PG-13... I hadn't gone completely off the series so you're reassurance is enough to convince me to go back to it and give it another try actually. Although the argument that "it gets better later" can only stretch so far before it's used up any good will.

Basically I just want another Avatar: The Last Airbender where despite it being a kid's show there are super important themes and messages and character arcs throughout.

Regarding Konosuba and Slime, it's interesting for you to say that Slime is more or less a straight example of the genre. Because I thought it too was supposed to be a parody. Maybe that just explains why I'm not massively into it, because it's NOT being particularly self aware, whereas I absolutely LOVE Konosuba's self-awareness, to the extent that it's one of the very, very few animes where I've actually found it genuinely funny. Again, Slime is still fun enough that I'm not gonna stop watching, I just don't sit around desperately waiting for each new episode!

Quote from: Lux12 on January 04, 2019, 03:23:23 AM
Yeah. Honestly, it wasn't until the fight between Gon and Hisoka in the Heaven's Arena arc that I was convinced the series had more to offer me and boy did it. If I have any major complaint about Yoshihiro Togashi's work it's that it takes him a comparatively long time to get to the really good stuff. This was main complaint about Yu Yu Hakusho as well and I love that series.

Okay, sold. What episode is that on?

If you say "episode 80" I might have words...

Haruki

Quote from: Assassini on January 04, 2019, 01:50:07 PM
"Somebody"...? Well that's just hurtful... :P It was literally 4 messages ago.

Meep!  Sorry!  Yes that was you who said so.  Forgive my not quoting you.  ^^;;

Seems there's lots of love for Hunter x Hunter out there.  That's not one I've looked into yet and from the little research I've done, there were two anime series done for it so far (1999 & 2011), both unfinished, and the manga has been ongoing for a long time, but it seems to keep going on hiatus.  That's got to be frustrating to its fans.  :(  I can only imagine it.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Azuresun

I've read the manga and it's got quite a few flaws (mainly that the plot can wander around so much that it's hard to tell what's meant to be going on), but I really enjoyed it, and not just for the rampant fanservice. The characters were fun and likeable, the art starts off shaky, but is just gorgeous as it progresses, and there's some enjoyable twists on familiar shonen stuff, like the endless quest to become stronger, or the rival who can never quite catch up to the hero.