India Reports Completely Drug-Resistant TB

Started by Samael, January 14, 2012, 10:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

It was considered 'glamorous' in the 19th/early 20th centuries because the sufferers typically developed this gaunt, ethereal appearance.  It also killed slowly so that the infected had time to 'ready their affairs'.  In many cases the physical symptoms (which also included reddened, light-sensitive eyes and pale skin) in addition to family members starting to waste away after the initial patient had died, led to rumors of vampirism.  Also, in an odd parallel to the modern 'Goth' fashion, many young women would intentionally pale their skin to mimic that appearance, which may account for at least some of the 'living with it for decades' cases.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Trieste on January 17, 2012, 09:00:18 AM
I understand that the intent and concern are probably there but I have doubts about enforcement.

'specially given the countries where this is a problem don't have the funds for a comprehensive public health program.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Serephino

I can't blame a person for not wanting to take medication that long.  Antibiotics give me really bad heartburn unless I take them with food, and sometimes not even that helps.  After a few days of that, if I'm starting to feel better, it's tempting to throw the damn things in the trash.  I don't, but I'm always very happy when I'm finally finished with them, and that's only 7-10 days.