(Not happening) Making Elliquiy more open and less specifically adult

Started by Vekseid, April 18, 2008, 03:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I've been pondering this for awhile now - becoming more of a generic role playing and literary site rather than adult roleplay only. We have a lot of talent here and it's not solely erotic writing that the people here excel at.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Changing title to reflect popular opinion.

Hunter

Not to beat on your idea but what about a sister site that does that?

GothicFires

i think the idea of a sister site would be much easier to manage especially when it comes to watching ages. with another site ... say ElliquiyLite... you wouldn't have to monitor ages at all, because you would have no adult role play. that way you won't have to worry about having to control what people can and cannot see by age groups.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Greenthorn

Or just keep adult threads locked and add new public threads?

Stevej101

*tossing two cents*  Second site would be better, nothing but headaches with permissions, a little access can turn into a lot too easily.

I would rather have a nice clear line that if I was playing here I didn't have to concern myself as to the age of the person on the other side.

Oh, not to mention the PG13 SB that on a rare occasion gets a little more then that.
"But I like it in the gutter, its dark and warm and I meet all sorts of interesting people."

Ons and Offs

Spider

Id say sister site, definatly not removing the adult parts of E.... its why im here... for maturity of players and the roleplay. Very few other sites offers this. At least what I know off.

I say keep E adult and erotic.

Captain Maltese

The adult, as in 18+, is very important. And for every dozen kid players who arrive at the nonadult site, a few will try to sneak in once they learn that hey, there's an adult part they arent allowed into. Which will sting a lot when they are playing with other writers who DO get in there. I'd like to have two such sites a long way from each other.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Greenthorn

Sister site..now that I got more information  ;D

(You all know I went and asked 100 questions right? *giggles*)

Elandra

I agree with the many above that a sister site might be best for a non-adult board, though I do want to point out that more policing might need to be involved. We would need to watch the non-adult threads and make sure they remain so, especially if the site was not restricted.
~~~ ONs & OFFs ~~~ Requests ~~~

Brandon

I guess Im a little different as Ive always considered Elliquiy a Generic roleplaying site that allows but doesnt require adult content. That said, a sister site sounds like a good idea on paper but thats also something that would require development over time and probably more money to run it. This of course also would require more mods/admins to help police the new site.

Those are just my initial thoughts
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Elvi

I'm afraid that I would need more clarification as to what you mean Vekseid.

As Brandon has said, I have never believed that a roleplay game should not be played her simply because there will be no sexual encounters...

I always thought that it was more about maturity in writing and content.

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Aelfric

Quote from: Elvi on April 18, 2008, 05:21:21 PM
I'm afraid that I would need more clarification as to what you mean Vekseid.

As Brenden has said, I have never believed that a roleplay game should not be played her simply because there will be no sexual encounters...

I always thought that it was more about maturity in writing and content.

I very much agree here; I prefer writing with adults myself, as from a maturity level I find I am offered me more as a writer. The erotic element is wholly optional, for me at least.

I also agree with elandra and Brandon on the 'work' element. As much as the dreaded rpol police have driven a considerable number of members here, I have to credit their time and devotion to the task.

You change all the lead sleeping in my head to gold. - Tunnels, Arcade Fire

Airindel

Quote from: Brandon on April 18, 2008, 04:57:43 PM
I guess Im a little different as Ive always considered Elliquiy a Generic roleplaying site that allows but doesnt require adult content. That said, a sister site sounds like a good idea on paper but thats also something that would require development over time and probably more money to run it. This of course also would require more mods/admins to help police the new site.

I have had this same impression as Brandon.

Some games of mine have had no erotica in them, but are highly mature in content while others games have had explicit sexual material. With that said, I must admit that I left RpoL to join Elliquiy specifically to be a part of an adult community, to write with adults without censure, and not have to deal with minors and all the silliness that accompanies them.

I also agree that if a sister site is made, there is the issue of moderating the site, and the issue of cost.
Lips that taste of tears, they say,
Are the best for kissing
~Dorothy Parker

Preferences

Vekseid

I wasn't talking about removing the adult parts at all. Instead, I was thinking about doing a reorganization so that the adult sections were better segregated, and that applying for adult access would be an optional thing.  The wiki would need an overhaul (it does anyway), a few forum posts would need to be reassigned, and a lot of avatars would need adjusting (mine included), but Elliquiy would still be the Internet's most active adult PBP forum.

The main reason I think about this is that - really - no one links to Elliquiy. Lilac and I have built up a couple hundred links, while Myth-Weavers, a year younger, has over eighty thousand. A combination of shyness and other sites not wishing to link to Elliquiy leads to this, but for a site of Elliquiy's activity, it's still a bit disconcerting to me that so few people talk about it.

A sister site is an interesting idea. It's not so much that I couldn't do it or that it would cost much more, but rather at that point the sister site is being pitted directly against Myth-Weavers.

Hunter

Then what about a partnership (assuming that they'd be willing to do it) with a site like Myth Weavers?

Trieste

I have several places where I would gladly link Elliquiy, save that I don't want to deal with the politics of those sites over on Elliquiy. If I could anonymously link it, just drop the link and go, I'd be much happier. People who are clingy on other sites... people who are nice, but a little relentless in their affecions. Elliquiy has a fraction of the bullshit that can go on on other sites, and I come here to relax and get away from that. While I enjoy other places I frequent (otherwise I would not go to them), the other places are like... they're like my way stacked penthouse apartment in Manhattan, while Elliquiy is my secluded beachhouse where I'd go to gather with some close friends. I don't like to mix one with the other... that is my issue with linking, and my only issue.

As for opening up the site, or a sister site, we'd have to work damn hard to compete with Myth-Weavers. They had some downtime several months back that we could have scooped on but now they're pretty solid, and (last I knew) fairly well free of staff drama. A sister site would pretty much need its own set of sirens, and its own PR effort. That said, I like the idea.

I'm not overly worried about CptCalico's point... kids have movies they can't watch. They have clubs they can't go to. They're always trying to get into places where adults don't want them... We get underage kids here. We deal with them. It's the nature of having an adult site. With all of those who find us through Google, it's not a whole lot different.

I guess the real question would be, Vekseid, whether you're considering this to try and widen Elliquiy's exposure, or if you're wanting to do this because you want to give the people here more options, or what. What brought on this idea?

Vekseid

It's mostly to increase exposure.  It's really, really hard to get as is, though some future plans will help that. Links in signatures, blogs, websites, social networking pages (myspace et al) - all help, but people are often either shy about linking to an adult site, adult links are forbidden, or both.

And I know there is still drama going down on Elliquiy, some of it more visible than others - I get talked to rather often about such things. It's a difficult thing to avoid but I've found that encouraging good communication smooths things over a great deal. Also, board culture greatly influences people's behavior on a site. Hopefully that's not too bad here.

Vekseid

In any case, I'm going to make some adjustments to make the forums more guest-friendly.  Don't panic (too much).

King_Furby

The real problem as people have said is that alot of sites frown on or don't allow adult website linkage.

I would support the idea of a sister site. Cause i don't see how one could correctly make this into a light site with adult role-play as optional. And you would also have to change the home page and create a totally different site model.

But if you do a sister site, i would like to see at least a few male moderators. Just a few. I am sure you could find some people. I wouldn't want it but i am sure there are those who would and could do a fantastic job.

Captain Maltese

Know what I'd love to see as a guest pondering to join? The player-wanted forums. These are never that explicit anyway.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Hunter

Quote from: Vekseid on April 18, 2008, 11:35:40 PM
In any case, I'm going to make some adjustments to make the forums more guest-friendly.  Don't panic (too much).
*panics*

Okay, like the change.   :)

Vekseid

Quote from: CptCalico on April 19, 2008, 01:53:53 PM
Know what I'd love to see as a guest pondering to join? The player-wanted forums. These are never that explicit anyway.

Done been deliberating on that. : )

Hunter

Quote from: CptCalico on April 19, 2008, 01:53:53 PM

Almost never.  I do vaguely recall one or two that were.

But it could be my imagination.

Vekseid

Quote from: Hunter on April 19, 2008, 02:40:08 PM
Almost never.  I do vaguely recall one or two that were.

But it could be my imagination.

If you find one let us know.

King_Furby

I would like to see the players wanted threads moved up to the top of the forum. As that is how most people find their games. You could always devide the players wanted threads into explicit and not. While most casting threads are not that explicit if one wanted to that way they could feel free to, and that board could be locked up untill one is a full member.