Movie lines that you borrow in real life.

Started by Twisted Crow, November 14, 2022, 07:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

For whatever reasons, really. If you apply the line in some form or fashion. Please share it!

One of my favorites is this one from Men In Black:

Quote"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals -- and you know it" -K

My own spoken variant is usually some variation of: "A person is smart; people are panicky, dangerous fools." But I admit, I borrowed this from the "Everybody Knew..." bench scene from MiB.

Oniya

'Dogs and cats, living together.  Mass hysteria.  Panic in the streets.'

When do I use it?  Usually when some group or other is overreacting to something trivial.  Like:

'Did you hear!?  They're repaving Chestnut Street and adding a bike lane!  What next?'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Twisted Crow

So many good ones can come from Ghostbusters or something like Groundhog Day, and I'm not surprised.  :-)

Stardusk

Boondock Saints when the old bartender says: "Why don't you make like a tree....and get the f*** out of here?"

At work I say that I am the one who is making like a tree. I say it almost every day.

Lilias

When I was still doing the school run with the Spawn on foot, there were times when the moon (gibbous, a few days past full) was still high in the sky that late in the morning. I've given the 'Massive object emerging from hyperspace!' line from Rogue One so many times, he would look at me with that disgusted 'You. Are. Ridiculous.' expression, which made it all so much funnier.

He's just as disgusted when I say to him 'I find that answer vague and unconvincing', but has a lot less wiggle room there.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Whenever someone doesn't leave a message on the machine:

'*Pewpew!* Boring conversation anyways.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kuroneko

"Another glorious day in the corps." ~ Apone, Aliens

I say it every morning.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

TheGlyphstone

When I was working in a factory, I had several opportunities to tell my supervisor "Witness the power of this fully armed and operational [industry process] station."

Inkidu

"There's a little bit of pee comin' out of me right now." Peter Jason "Star Lord" Quill, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

I've been known to use Dean's "Yeah? Yeah? Yeah!?" String from The Iron Giant when someone is telling me something really obvious in a mildly dangerous situation. Don't get to use it too much.

I've used "I find your lack of faith disturbing." During MP game sessions, just because I find it disturbing doesn't mean lack of faith in my skill isn't unwarranted.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RedRose

I find SW to be an endless source of such. Books, movies or shows.

If only saying it was making it so.
Charming to the last
I tire of the bickering (as a mom that one was good)
The Empire needs children.
Krennic has so many good ones (You have to start somewhere)
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

AngelsSonata

I find myself using the classic line from Spaceballs when describing how my co-workers are acting at times "I knew it, I'm surrounded by assholes."

Oniya

Quote from: AngelsSonata on December 23, 2022, 04:37:07 PM
I find myself using the classic line from Spaceballs when describing how my co-workers are acting at times "I knew it, I'm surrounded by assholes."

But is there a major asshole as well as a general asshole?

AngelsSonata

Quote from: Oniya on December 23, 2022, 05:56:49 PM
But is there a major asshole as well as a general asshole?
Most are major assholes, it's hard to put one above another with the people I work with.

Callie Del Noire

I like the Blues Brother
“We’re on a mission from God.”
Mandolorian
“This is the Way”
Highlander
“There can be only one.”

HannibalBarca

"Life IS pain--anyone who tells you differently is selling something."
"Don't pester him--he's had a hard day."
"You keep using that word--I do not think it means what you think it means."
"You're sick--I'll humor you."
"Who says life is fair, where is that written?"
"Inigo--I hope we win."
"Bye-bye boys! Have fun stormin' the castle!" (Said to my son and his boyfriend when they head off to work)

The Princess Bride--the gift that keeps on giving.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Twisted Crow

“Let me explain— no, there is too much… Let me sum up!”

Urbanzorro

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

The guy on the TV in Robocop

I use it to express agreeing with an idea or statement.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Sethren

Technically not from a movie but 'For real life?' 'How rude!' from Bluey

"I love you, a bushel and a peck." Five Feet Apart, the fiance and I say that to each other a lot.
                           I am accepting quilt commissions right now to make ends meet.

Writersblockade

"Comprehension is not a requisite of cooperation" - Matrix Reloaded, I believe. Thought of every time I'm asked to do something that I don't understand the point of... which is often
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Inkidu

A book but it made it into the movie but I'll use some variation on:

In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

On those lines:

'It must be Thursday.  I never could quite get the hang of Thursdays.'

Qualia

Do you think God gives a damn about miniature donkeys?

I fear he doesn’t,

And I fear that’s where it’s all gone wrong.

Oniya

Since this just happened, and it was a line I've used so much that I literally had to re-locate the movie and scene I'd lifted it from:

'You make me sad' (delivered in a very deadpan manner.)

(King Arthur in 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail', to the Black Knight)

Laughing Hyena

More often, I fall back to Mortal Kombat. "It has begun" "And now a taste of things to come" among others. Quick and to the point.

GloomCookie

Anytime one of my coworkers mildly inconveniences me. "You're killing me, Smalls." -The Sandlot

That's the only one I use on a regular basis. Others are highly dependent on the situation.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Pink Duct Tape

"I love my turtle." -Grandma's Boy

Much the way the above uses, "You're killing me Smalls," I use, "Settle down Beavis." From Beavis and Butthead Do America.

Oniya

I don't know if this made it into the movie, but from HHGG:

'Dark.  No light.  Dark.'  (When someone has said something very obvious, or when there's been a power outage.)

Sometimes, depending on the crowd, I follow it up with 'Oh my, you've just fallen down a fifty foot well.  Are you alright?'

Pink Duct Tape

Dark. lol.

I didn't think about it until earlier, when I did it, but I use, "Catch you on the flip side" too, from Boondock Saints.

LostInTheMist

My 2nd best friend/college roommate and I use "you will perish in flame" from Ghotsbusters as a rushed hello/goodbye. Any time one of us is in a rush going to something that the other is not. Whether class, a date, a social thing, whatever. *Walk into the room* "You will perish in flame!" *Walk out of the room.*
My Apologies and Absences  Updated April 1, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: House sitting. Will not be replying until I return. See my A/As for details.

Silvered Sutures

My general response to people doing something that will go obviously poorly;

Rocky IV

“If he dies, he dies.”
Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren)
My O/O Thread
Discord handle; Silvered Sutures

Anakiel

I use a lot these two lines from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

"A surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one."

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
“Sometimes we must let go of our pride, and do what is requested to us.”
–Anakin Skywalker

Inkidu

Quote from: Anakiel on October 03, 2023, 10:42:11 AM
I use a lot these two lines from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

"A surprise to be sure, but a welcomed one."

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."
I've used some variation of "There's always a bigger fish."

Shekinah

Those of Scar from the lion king:

I'm surrounded by idiots

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Oniya

A common bit of dialogue in the Oni-house:

'I've been thinking...'
'A dangerous pastime.'
'I know.'

Muse

Brilliant, Oniya.  I use that one whenever I can. Usually when one of my friends says the first like, I  interject with the second.  It's quite pleasant how often they manage to smoothly reply with the third and  keep going with their conversation.  
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

LanaN

Quote“It’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.”
- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

The movie has way too many funny lines, and though I haven't watched it in years, I still frequently quote them.

Inkidu

Quote from: LanaN on October 24, 2023, 04:27:27 PM- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story

The movie has way too many funny lines, and though I haven't watched it in years, I still frequently quote them.
Oh, I have fully adopted, "You are [that is] about as useful as a doody-flavored lollipop." 

Victoria Skye

The french version of the first Mortal Kombat, when Shang Tsung says something like "You'll die tonight !"

In french, it was said with -the corniest- voice "Tu va mourir ce soiiiir!" And god it wrecked me. 

Now I say that to people I play fighting games with !